Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic

Germancruiser

13 hours ago, ighten said:

I cant find any mention of transport in the 10 point plan  - though again it may have been updated when borders opened up.

I found it in a press release:

Die Vorteile der Panoramafahrten in die norwegischen Fjorde auf einen Blick:

– Bequeme An- und Abreise: mit Bahn oder eigenem Auto

– Reise ab / bis Hamburg & Kiel

steamboats

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

I think thats more to do with Tui and Aida policy of including free regional travel in the price..  Though again it may have been part of the plan when the borders were pretty much closed.

Just to reiterate how quickly things change though - This week Spain was removed from the UK Advisory for open borders - This morning Luxembourg was removed.  With UK starting more regional restrictions (especially in the North - though I suspect thats more to do with the Eid festival approaching) its only going to be a matter of time before there's a risk that Germany could remove the UK from its open list (though at least they have shown a more sensible approach to Spain and kept the Ballearics Islands open to Germans (though I suspect there would be a revolt if the Germans couldnt get to the canaries 🙂 ))

Edited by ighten

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

TBH mentioning a convenient way of getting to the cruise (by car or train) is of little relevance in regards of the "proclaimed" limitation to Germans. However, I fully agree that any other information given and then forwarded by all kind of (reputable) media never really questioned that point. Plus, it appeared just logical - perhaps too logical.

For me it´s been the statements and questions from users here which made me check if there´s actually any proof to be found in the T&Cs, website etc. underlining the assumption. And, truth to be told, there isn´t. Which by now has been comfirmed by ighten etc.

Again, I am happy for everyone able to cruise!!! I do understand though, that people on board will be just as surprised as we were that the cruises are - contrary to all belief - not limited to Germans (Austrian/Swiss) after all. Regardless of the surprise, I am sure the number of non Germans sailing on such specific cruises will be negligible. 

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Regardless of the surprise, I am sure the number of non Germans sailing on such specific cruises will be negligible. 

Hopefully 😉 ...  Last thing you need is a group of Brits moaning about the weather and how expensive the beer/wine is compared to there local supermarket 🙂 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, ighten said:

Hopefully 😉 ...  Last thing you need is a group of Brits moaning about the weather and how expensive the beer/wine is compared to there local supermarket 🙂 🙂

So no different to the Germans - just that you are the lucky one who doesn´t understand it LOL
It´s one of the reasons why we don´t cruise German...

Aren´t we great? - Complaining about people complaining 🤣

BTW: DW would be happy to hear some (British) English. Me, with my southern drawl, I tolerate it to make her happy... 😀 I am joking, of course!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ighten said:

Just to reiterate how quickly things change though - This week Spain was removed from the UK Advisory for open borders - This morning Luxembourg was removed.  With UK starting more regional restrictions (especially in the North - though I suspect thats more to do with the Eid festival approaching) its only going to be a matter of time before there's a risk that Germany could remove the UK from its open list (though at least they have shown a more sensible approach to Spain and kept the Ballearics Islands open to Germans (though I suspect there would be a revolt if the Germans couldnt get to the canaries 🙂 ))

Our Foreign Office now has added a travel warning regarding three regions in Spain - Catalonia (Barcelona), Aragon and Navarra.

steamboats

13 hours ago, Von & John said:

@Germancruiser

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy your final Sea Day!!!

Thank You for allowing all of us to live vicariously through your cruise!

Cheers  --  Von

13 hours ago, Von & John said:

@Germancruiser

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy your final Sea Day!!!

Thank You for allowing all of us to live vicariously through your cruise!

Cheers  --  Von

Edited by spacelady2k

On 7/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, Germancruiser said:

Thank you all four kind words- and @Miaminice- I agree- very much so. 

If one wishes to visit the theater or the little „ Schaubühne“ where they show small productions of plays you have to make a reservation beforehand. 

No more open seatng while the pandemic lasts. 

I will do that tonight and see how it works out. So fare it is a wonderful voyage- just imagine a ship which can take more then 3000 passengers ( which is for the size of the ship- is not to much in the first place) with now a bit over 1000 passengers. 

I know that  to be a once in a lifetime experience. No lines- no rush. Extremly silent and relaxing. 

Since I have only four days in which to try all the Speciality Restaurants I booked on all of them - some for lunch- some for dinner. You have to pay A la carte- no cover charge- just as in a regular restaurant- but that has nothing to do with the Covid 19 situation. 

I did the MDR this morning for breakfast- worked pretty well. 

I talked to several crew members already ( but not a single fellow passenger - but I just enjoy the  time  to be by myself. ) and all of them expressed how thankfull they were to be back on board a ship and back to earn money.

When they arrived home when all crew was sended home- some experienced dire situations caused by the virus. 

So they bent over backwards to be helpfull and friendly. 

I have just to mention the sail away yesterday evening out of Hamburg. It was almost magical- the decks were crowded all right- but everyone seemed to adhere to social distancing- and the open decks are huge- so everyone could get a glimpse of the passing city with it´s sights.. The churchtower of „ the Michel“ the new Elbphilharmony and world famous St. Pauli with the Landungsbrücken. 

We paased several ships on our way along the river Elbe - all lighted up like they were on an actual cruise. I hear later from a crew member that they did that on prupose to greet us - they all are waiting for there turn to reasume crusing. 

Man crewmembers stood around the open decks with the lights of their mobils flashing and we in turn answered. Then of course the horn competitiion as I call it. 

As I mentioned before this also my very first time on board a German ship so all of it, for me too, is a novel experience. 

I had a great time in the aft section of the ship- they call it „ The Diamond“ comparable to X´s aft bar with the same wonderful view over the Wake of the ship. 

More the next time- time for my nap. If you have any questions- just fire away. 

I gathered so many great information during my 16 years  of beeing at cruise critic so this is my chance to  give something back. 

Any problems with the language on board since it was a German Cruise?  Thanks for posting your experiences. 

Tom😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Any problems with the language on board since it was a German Cruise?  Thanks for posting your experiences. 

Tom😀

I would imagine since it's a German on a German cruise line they  had no issues with the language.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cml4958 said:

I would imagine since it's a German on a German cruise line they  had no issues with the language.

I was more curious if one took that cruise & didn’t speak any German would you have any problems or if the crew was bilingual?

Tom🤔

57 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I was more curious if one took that cruise & didn’t speak any German would you have any problems or if the crew was bilingual?

Tom🤔

If you don't speak German, all you need to know is:  ein Bier bitte  🍷

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Miaminice said:

The next cruises are 7 night cruises into the Fjords.

I guess only time will tell if a 7 night cruise will come back with zero problems, Should be interesting.

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Also curious about the med staff and areas on board???

This is answered in the (German) video...

They have added staff, have a PCR machine which gives test results within 70 Minutes, a separate isolation on another deck etc.

They also added the new position of an Infection Control Officer who is responsible for compliance with the policies, training, sanitizing etc. etc.

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

As I said before... onboard language is German and therefore all activites, entertainment, announcements are in German. Crew is speaking English too (and actually it helps to speak English when you order food at the buffet). Of course all security announcements will be in German and English.

So if you don´t mind not participating in any activities and miss out most of the entertainment... of course the daily program is available in German only.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put google translate app on your phone - you just scan the menus and dailies and it translates  for you... The hotel crew  speak better English than German.... One thing that can be useful to pick up though is the German for "you can disembark now" etc and the deck numbers or names (or just follow everyone else - you soon pick it up)

The big difference on Aida and Tui is unlike say Costa or MSC there is only one language for signs, dailies, menus etc (though all emergency signs are in English as well)

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom🤔

Like on all ships the service crew is international and not from Germany. Their biggest challenge is to understand all Germans but they have no problem with English speaking guests.

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

This is answered in the (German) video...

They have added staff, have a PCR machine which gives test results within 70 Minutes, a separate isolation on another deck etc.

They also added the new position of an Infection Control Officer who is responsible for compliance with the policies, training, sanitizing etc. etc.

Thank you..not much more they can do on a ship.

Keep us posted with your final thoughts re: your cruise, disembarkation etc.  Thank you for allowing us to sail along with you.  I miss cruising so much.  But, I don’t need a Hurtigrutinesque experience (finding out after You get home that many crew had Covid 19).  So I shall live vicariously through everyone who cruises!!

• Like 1

Hello all- first I am home- safe and sound. What a livley thread this has become I very much appreciate all the kind words and encourgement you gave me to write my little " Live from" - a first for me.

I loved those " Live from the decks of.." written by Tuggers - i hope she is doing fine.

I hope I answered all the question that came up- if not - do not hestitate to ask. Someone mentioned our country´s beloved dish- " Sauerkraut"- oh well we where called the " Krauts" not for nothing. I did indeed saw Sauerkraut beeing served- at the buffet- and the German version of you cole slaw- also a favorite of mine. Sauerkraut- well that I can not stand- never could- my grandmother used to make it- the whole house smelled like it- so was fed up because of the smell alone, I guess!

I will write a full review soon- first to the debarkation. That went rather well- one was given a certain time slot- in which we had to leave the ship. That was to avoid congregations in the lounges and in the terminal. You could use your cabin as long as you need it- 10 am at the latest. That was also the offical ending of the second blue voyage- 10am.

Sailing solo in a regular balcony cabin qualified for " Suite threatment"- so I lerned- the evening for debarktion. My lugage tags where not delivered to my stateroom- so I had to make a quick call to guest relations. The nice lady told me that i could disembark whenever I wish to do so. Splendid!

Due to the fact that the ship sailed only at about 40% capacity there was no rush- no lines- no hussle and bussle at all. Very nice- and never experienced before. ( and I suppose never will be again)

The train journey right across our country from up north  to the deepest south ( close to the borders of switzerland and austria)  took about 6, 5 hours- and went well enough. Even better then pre Covid19. Punctual and on time. Oh I miss the nice and  cool temperatures we had this past week- since we are going to the first heat wave of the summer.

I will be back with a few thoughts and little bit of a review! Bye for now!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting your review. From my earlier questions since the staff is multi national speaking German was not an issue. I understand that the shows in the theatre were in German. 

Thanks again!

Tom😀