P&O November cruises not available

normansbay

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, if someone at embarkation tests positive, I assume that everyone on the flight will also be denied boarding?

What do P&O then do with those 300 odd pax?

I also don't understand why you only quarantine 400 people in 200 cabins. Surely you quarantine the whole ship?

As to profitability- shutting down an entire cruise ship will destroy P&O,  and Carnival.

Will somebody please top up wowzz's half empty glass again!.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, if someone at embarkation tests positive, I assume that everyone on the flight will also be denied boarding?

What do P&O then do with those 300 odd pax?

I also don't understand why you only quarantine 400 people in 200 cabins. Surely you quarantine the whole ship?

As to profitability- shutting down an entire cruise ship will destroy P&O,  and Carnival.

Plus those tests will have to be carried out every day or two especially if passengers disembark at a port. Also the test might be negative but only because your viral load is not large enough to give a positive result, but it might be large enough the next day. Apparently it only needs a few viral particles to start the infection rolling. I read that it is about 18 particles for Norovirus and about 1000 particles for COVID-19

Just noticed that VTS is no longer showing Azura as in Southampton on 16 Oct, the day she is due to sail to the Caribbean for her winter season.  Last entry for Azura is 30 Sep.  VTS isn't an exact science these days, but...

Britannia is still showing as in Southampton on 23 Oct, the day she is due to sail to the Caribbean for her winter season.

1 minute ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just noticed that VTS is no longer showing Azura as in Southampton on 16 Oct, the day she is due to sail to the Caribbean for her winter season.  Last entry for Azura is 30 Sep.  VTS isn't an exact science these days, but...

Britannia is still showing as in Southampton on 23 Oct, the day she is due to sail to the Caribbean for her winter season.

Could Azura be away for refit during that time ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Could Azura be away for refit during that time ?

I wondered that.  Molecrochip has mentioned that the repositioning cruises may go without passengers, so it's possible that Azura goes into refit, then direct across for the winter season.  

Of course, the TA repositioning cruise is still for sale (with PandO) , but as we know they will keep selling till the very last moment.

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I wondered that.  Molecrochip has mentioned that the repositioning cruises may go without passengers, so it's possible that Azura goes into refit, then direct across for the winter season.  

Of course, the TA repositioning cruise is still for sale (with PandO) , but as we know they will keep selling till the very last moment.

Sensing another Tuesday morning at 10am announcement is on its way (within a couple of Tuesdays)!😉

• Like 5

On 8/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, molecrochip said:

There is a surprising number of people who hope on board ship for 14 days and don’t disembark at any port until home day.

Its why cruises are great as an ‘each to their own’ type holiday. Everything bar muster is voluntary.

In the 1960s there were many people who took a holiday at Butlins and never left the camp all week. The holiday camp was the destination as far as they were concerned and it provided them with all they wanted. Similarly, today there are those who go to resorts in the Caribbean such as Sandals and never explore the island or even venture into the nearest town. When I started cruising in the 1990s and cruise ships were much smaller, onboard facilities were limited and the emphasis was very much on ports of call. In recent years however, I have seen cruises sold more and more on the ship rather than the itinerary; the ship is for many becoming the prime destination. For those of such a mind, a cruise without ports of call may well be accepable if the price is right. But would there be enough of them to make it financially viable? That is the question.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Denarius said:

In the 1960s there were many people who took a holiday at Butlins and never left the camp all week. The holiday camp was the destination as far as they were concerned and it provided them with all they wanted. Similarly, today there are those who go to resorts in the Caribbean such as Sandals and never explore the island or even venture into the nearest town. When I started cruising in the 1990s and cruise ships were much smaller, onboard facilities were limited and the emphasis was very much on ports of call. In recent years however, I have seen cruises sold more and more on the ship rather than the itinerary; the ship is for many becoming the prime destination. For those of such a mind, a cruise without ports of call may well be accepable if the price is right. But would there be enough of them to make it financially viable? That is the question.

I can just about see a "cruise to nowhere" being attractive, but only in a warm weather area. So, Caribbean in winter, Med in the summer. 7 days in the North Sea in January doesn't have much appeal.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I can just about see a "cruise to nowhere" being attractive, but only in a warm weather area. So, Caribbean in winter, Med in the summer. 7 days in the North Sea in January doesn't have much appeal.

I would be fairly happy floating around the North Sea with a Pina Colada

Andy 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We were on the 'cruise to nowhere' on Aurora in March for 5 nights.We set off to see the Northern Lights but the Norweigans closed the ports due to covid so we were 'floating' around the North Sea for 5 nights before returning to Southampton.It was ok but I was ready to get off! Five days at sea in the Caribbean is a much more attractive prospect!

• Like 2