We'll start with shorter cruises and fewer people

jwc1027

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Proably very true. How many people are going to spend the money to, and take the risk of, flying to spend 3-4 days on a ship? So it will be mostly locals who can drive to the port. 

One thing I've learned in life is when you say "who would do this?" there are people doing that exact thing that doesn't sound good to you. Not only that, but 4 day cruises are extremely common, and filled up before.

40 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Look, all you can go by is what they have been saying for a while. Bigger ships make more money, and short cruises will be the first to sail.

How long the short cruises are the norm is up in the air 

Look, I am not arguing with anyone. I don't know what they are doing and I don't much think that they do either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

One thing I've learned in life is when you say "who would do this?" there are people doing that exact thing that doesn't sound good to you. Not only that, but 4 day cruises are extremely common, and filled up before.

I said short cruises would probably fill up with locals. Right now flying has a risk that previously was not there. But you are right, I have no idea what others will do so.... I will not go through the risk, and expense, of flying for a short cruise. And that is especially true when I don't even know what the product, or hassle,  will be like. Better?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I said short cruises would probably fill up with locals. Right now flying has a risk that previously was not there. But you are right, I have no idea what others will do so.... I will not go through the risk, and expense, of flying for a short cruise. And that is especially true when I don't even know what the product, or hassle,  will be like. Better?

If I was RCG, I might only want drive up customers in the beginning. Keep pax off of planes and away from motels/restaurants pre cruise. 15-20 million people live within 3 hours of PE and PC

• Thanks 1

They only want short cruises because the longer you stay on the ship your chances of showing Covid symptoms rise greatly.

If you catch Covid on the cruise and find out 2 days later after you get off  the ship you have the virus...............it doesn't get blamed for catching it on the ship...........They will say you caught it somewhere else  before or after you got off  or on the ship.
People have caught the virus while flying yet the airlines are still operating!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I agree. Airlines will disagree with ANY chance of getting infected on a plane. They will blame it on the airports and not themselves. 

6 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

If I was RCG, I might only want drive up customers in the beginning. Keep pax off of planes and away from motels/restaurants pre cruise. 15-20 million people live within 3 hours of PE and PC

But Florida is one of the most infected states in the Country, who would want to sail with a ship full of Florida people right now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

I agree. Airlines will disagree with ANY chance of getting infected on a plane. They will blame it on the airports and not themselves. 

5 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The airlines are an essential business. If it were 1912 the cruise lines would be an essential business.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But Florida is one of the most infected states in the Country, who would want to sail with a ship full of Florida people right now.

Umm, other Florida people. 😉

TX is no better

Can you sail 3 days from NJ or Baltimore.🤔

Would you fly to FL?

Edited by CSHS1979

21 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Umm, other Florida people. 😉

TX is no better

Can you sail 3 days from NJ or Baltimore.🤔

Would you fly to FL?

Not a 3 day but we have a 5 day Bermuda cruise in July from NJ. Not sure if "short" would include 5 days.

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Proably very true. How many people are going to spend the money to, and take the risk of, flying to spend 3-4 days on a ship? So it will be mostly locals who can drive to the port. 

Lots of people don’t fly to cruises. Probably more than enough to fill up ships to 50% capacity. 

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Lots of people don’t fly to cruises. Probably more than enough to fill up ships to 50% capacity. 

True, but if they drive more than 4-5 hours they likely will come in a day early and need overnight accomodations. That adds another layer of exposure

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 1

I wanted to know why, given Fain's statements why the 10,11, and 12 sailings scheduled for either Anthem or Vision starting in Dec. were not cancelled yet.  The response I got was that "the situation is still very fluid."  It should have been that the deposits and final payments for those sailings is too much money for RC to part with right now.  According to an article I just read RC has billions in refundable deposits and about 800 million in NRD; it would appear they are doing their very best to lock in those deposits and where possible,  extract the final payments from those passengers.  If we are to believe Fain, and acknowledge the viewpoints of others in the industry. There is nothing "fluid" about these sailings taking place. 

• Thanks 1

I think demand will be soft for 3-4-5 day cruises even if capped at 50%.  I don't think there are enough people who can drive to ports, and who will view that as enough of a vacation.  For those that fly, why spend the money on flights and hotel for such a short vacation.

It would be interesting to know how many fly/drive. When I left from Miami last time, I did not see that many cars parking but admittedly did not sit and watch.  Based on roll calls... NY based cruises had a high % of drive in and locals. Miami and Port Canaveral - overwhelmingly fly in.

42 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Taking this a step further, who (in other countries) would want to sail with a ship full of US citizens. I wouldn't. 

75% of Royals customers are North Americans