We'll start with shorter cruises and fewer people

jwc1027

16 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The theme parks are one of the few pieces of good news we’ve had. The message seems to be that if you tyrannically enforce mask and social distancing that works to prevent (or at least limit) Covid transmission. 

Can cruise ships copy the Disney model? I don’t know, but have you seen Disney’s rules? You can’t even walk while eating or drinking. 

My brother and his wife have been to Disney several times since reopening. He says the mask wearing is strictly enforced and lines are set for social distancing.

M8 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The theme parks are one of the few pieces of good news we’ve had. The message seems to be that if you tyrannically enforce mask and social distancing that works to prevent (or at least limit) Covid transmission. 

Can cruise ships copy the Disney model? I don’t know, but have you seen Disney’s rules? You can’t even walk while eating or drinking. And from what I hear, they are very strict to enforce the rules. 

Theme parks are 90% outdoors - cruise ships are not -  people do not sleep overnight in the parks - not even a valid comparison IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are essential for business travel. Buses and trains take longer and will require you to be among the general public longer and they also make several stops along the way picking up more passengers who may have been exposed to Covid. Cruising in the 21st century is for leisure travel only which is nonessential.  This is just common sense which seems to be lacking during this pandemic.

It is not essential for business. I guarantee you that none of the people traveling for business are ESSENTIAL workers. And I will guarantee that what you think is essential has a dramatic negative effect on coronavirus. I can't stand when people think that if you fly you are automatically immune. Next time there is business travel, assess how essential it is if you have to drive. It quickly becomes non-essential. Seriously, if it was that essential, toilet paper would be filling up every flight there is to get it where it needs to go and no passengers. 

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Uhhh.....Tongue in cheek, right?   😉

You got the sarcasm 🙂  It is funny how people think that one mode of transportation is immune to it and claims it is essential. See how essential it is if you have to drive instead of fly. If you can't fly, then it becomes non-essential which could make you non-essential. I have enough friends out of work and losing their businesses. I can't stand when people say it is essential for business. No it is not. Let your business fail or get fired because airlines are one of the reasons this thing went insane to begin with. 

24 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

It is not essential for business. I guarantee you that none of the people traveling for business are ESSENTIAL workers. And I will guarantee that what you think is essential has a dramatic negative effect on coronavirus. I can't stand when people think that if you fly you are automatically immune. Next time there is business travel, assess how essential it is if you have to drive. It quickly becomes non-essential. Seriously, if it was that essential, toilet paper would be filling up every flight there is to get it where it needs to go and no passengers. 

Bottom line is cruising is leisure only. It serves no other purpose. If the cruise lines all go bankrupt tomorrow it wouldn’t effect the transportation industry. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Bottom line is cruising is leisure only. It serves no other purpose. If the cruise lines all go bankrupt tomorrow it wouldn’t effect the transportation industry. 

Airline travel, no matter how you try to sugar coat it, is non-essential. I guarantee if we surveyed every person that has been on a plane in the last 90-days, I would venture to say 99.9999% of it is non-essential and can be managed by driving a car. Airline travel is a convenience for almost all of it and convenience is not a necessity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Airline travel, no matter how you try to sugar coat it, is non-essential. I guarantee if we surveyed every person that has been on a plane in the last 90-days, I would venture to say 99.9999% of it is non-essential and can be managed by driving a car. Airline travel is a convenience for almost all of it and convenience is not a necessity.

I guess you never had to fly for business?  I used to and then when flying became such a hassle I decided to drive if I could arrive at my destination within 4 hours, but over that I wasted valuable, unproductive time by driving.

Lots of people still have to travel for business and my guess is those travelers still make up a larger portion of air travel right now, especially when so many leisure travel options are not available. 

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I guess you never had to fly for business?

If your business is non-essential, then flying is non-essential. Flying is a convenience but you can drive to the location regardless. It may take more time and be unproductive, but it solves the problem. The argument that flying is safer than cruising is the most stupid argument I have heard. The reason the airlines are not getting bashed is because they take no responsibility. I guarantee you if we tracked all of the covid cases back, I would say a very high percentage of them were cause/created by someone on a plane. To put it in perspective, how do you think it went from China to the US? It didn't appear on a Magic Covid Fairy from the jet stream, plop down somewhere in the US, wave her wand, and say "Oh you get to have covid". No, someone on a plane, flew to the US, and brought it with them on a massive scale. 

Do you think someone rode a bike or car from China to the US?

Do you think someone took a boat from China to the US?

No, it came from people FLYING on airplanes into the US. It is as simple as that. So, shutdown the airlines until they fund finding a cure and vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

If your business is non-essential, then flying is non-essential. Flying is a convenience but you can drive to the location regardless. It may take more time and be unproductive, but it solves the problem. The argument that flying is safer than cruising is the most stupid argument I have heard. The reason the airlines are not getting bashed is because they take no responsibility. I guarantee you if we tracked all of the covid cases back, I would say a very high percentage of them were cause/created by someone on a plane. To put it in perspective, how do you think it went from China to the US? It didn't appear on a Magic Covid Fairy from the jet stream, plop down somewhere in the US, wave her wand, and say "Oh you get to have covid". No, someone on a plane, flew to the US, and brought it with them on a massive scale. 

Do you think someone rode a bike or car from China to the US?

Do you think someone took a boat from China to the US?

No, it came from people FLYING on airplanes into the US. It is as simple as that. So, shutdown the airlines until they fund finding a cure and vaccine. 

All business is essential to those who depend on a paycheck from that business.

1 minute ago, mek said:

All business is essential to those who depend on a paycheck from that business.

Not true. The government has stated it. Nearly 50% of businesses are shutdown and millions out of work. If that was true, we wouldn't be having these discussions. I wouldn't have 4 friends that have lost their businesses now and another about to. The only essential business is who the government has decided is essential.

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Can cruise ships copy the Disney model? I don’t know, but have you seen Disney’s rules? You can’t even walk while eating or drinking. And from what I hear, they are very strict to enforce the rules. 

My son is at Universal today. I'm sure I'll hear first hand what it was like tonight

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The argument that flying is safer than cruising is the most stupid argument I have heard.

Flying is safer than cruising. People can sit and keep their mouth shut for the duration of a flight. Not for a cruise. Planes don’t have discos and comedy clubs, pools and hot tubs. Nobody is going ice skating on a plane. Flying isn’t immune, nor is flying as essential as people think. But it’s safer than cruising. 

Edited by zekekelso

9 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Doesn’t B2B defeat the purpose of 3/4 night cruises to start back sailing?

M8

Exactly, but not all are doing b2b.which means mre people are being exposed...............be better to just do regular 7 day cruises with less people involved. More safe.

Edited by Jimbo

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Exactly, but not all are doing b2b.which means mre people are being exposed...............be better to just do regular 7 day cruises with less people involved. More safe.

Hopefully not a ship full of folks from Jersey😇

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I guess there must be a bridge to Hawaii and maybe a tunnel to Alaska (Canada won't let Americans in right now).

just as a point of trivia, One of the exceptions Canada makes for their no Americans rule is “driving to Alaska”But it’s a loooong drive. 

• Like 1

I have been looking at some of the big ships sailing from CA. round trip from LA/San Diego in March.  NCL, Carnival and Princes still only offer 7 - 10 night cruises.  Some small Carnival ships have 3,4, and 5 day as usual. I was hoping Carnaval Panorama to Mexico would turn the 7 night into a 3 and 4 for a few months. 

I am surprised at the amount of people in this thread who completely believe the "stats" we're being spoonfed.  I have worked this entire time (with the public), don't know a single person who was/is sick nor do I know anybody who knows anybody who is/was sick. My Governor tested positive but then miraculously tested negative on the next test.  How many positives are given a 2nd test?  I'm willing to bet this whole thing disappears November 4th.  Sorry--don't mean to get on a soapbox.  End of rant

On 8/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, zekekelso said:

I can see not giving BTB cruisers special treatment, but would they really tell people you aren’t allowed to sign up for a second cruise if you are just getting off one? How do you justify that?

Super Mario who does B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B may not be too happy if B2B were not permitted.

What if you book one ship and then switch to a different ship in the same port leaving the day you return from you first cruise, would that be considered a B2B?

Just now, Russ Lomas said:

Super Mario who does B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B may not be too happy if B2B were not permitted.

What if you book one ship and then switch to a different ship in the same port leaving the day you return from you first cruise, would that be considered a B2B?

No. Never has. 

7 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Holland America just announced their pause in cruising through December 15. 

guess they are really hoping that they can begin then so they do not have to cancel their 2 most profitable weeks of the year - Christmas and New Year - for sailings

• Like 1