The Daily for Friday Aug 14, 2020

richwmn

today is National Creamsicle Day and National Navajo Code Talkers Day 

Men aren't attracted to me by my mind.
They're attracted by what I don't mind...
        -- Gypsy Rose Lee

Meal suggestion for today - Moroccan Lamb Lettuce Wraps

Wine of the day - R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia Rioja White Viña Gravonia Crianza vintage 2008

Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) Panama Canal, awaiting transit

At Sea Atlantic
Amsterdam destination Rotterdam eta 8/15

At Sea Indian
Eurodam destination Durban eta 8/21
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Durban eta 8/21
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/18

Katakolo
Veendam

Limassol
Maasdam

Mombasa
Westerdam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Rotterdam
Rotterdam - at ROTTERDAM BOTLEK

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Singapore Area
Noordam
Zuiderdam

0814World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

As of today Cruise Mappers transferred Amsterdam and Rotterdam to Fred Olsen Lines, so they will no longer appear on the maps

Farewell to our two  beautiful R class ships.

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Creamsicles sound good with this heat so a good day to celebrate them but none in the food, sadly.

Love that quote by Gypsy Rose Lee.  Lamb would be great if I had any 😉 

Wine of the day - a white Rioja! I would love to get that.  I doubt it is here but I will look today in hopes.

It was so hot yesterday that it looked like the leaves on the dahlias and even the chilies were wilting.  We had not choice but to water last night once the sun was not so high.

The dipladenia are happy though:

A3EEB758-2935-4C5C-AFC5-6F3DFD17E2ED.thumb.jpeg.261f99b4480129ca87c011c1f553b595.jpeg

D88698DC-F630-4D16-ABCE-F3B47834DC3A.thumb.jpeg.3e9f73a907e8df23983acf94d29da79d.jpeg

DH really likes the lime green in these planters:

1572D983-5E75-47B5-9382-F6B8369A4C33.thumb.jpeg.6af6129740c7a9156370690c6d72d7fb.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on our Care list.  

Hope everyone can stay cool and safe on TGIF day.  Don’t forget your masks!

• Like 9

Thank you for the daily.  I'll pass on the creamsicle but we have a great debt of gratitude to the Navajo code talkers.  Sad but often true quote.

August 14, 1997 was my final night on the SS Rotterdam as an operating ship.  I don't have menus from that cruise but my last Alaska night (Westerdam) I liked the classic route, Oven Roasted Chicken and Baked Alaska.

Today's care list:

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

Those fighting wildfires

The people of Sturgis, SD

The passengers and crew of Wilderness Adventurer

Denise and David on their last 2 days of Quarantine

New Zealand for a quick settlement of the outbreak

and Krazy Kruizers and Joe

Today's celebrations and shoutouts:

Allen back home

Sharon's in-laws

Front Line Health Workers

Tioga Cruizers first day of retirement

Officer Erica Urrea of the Lodi CA Police department who grabbed a man with a stuck wheelchair seconds before a freight train sped through.  She's denied she's a hero as true heroes often do.

and cruizin single supporting firefighters through the Red Cross.

Roy

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Creamsicles sound good with this heat so a good day to celebrate them but none in the food, sadly.

Love that quote by Gypsy Rose Lee.  Lamb would be great if I had any 😉 

Wine of the day - a white Rioja! I would love to get that.  I doubt it is here but I will look today in hopes.

It was so hot yesterday that it looked like the leaves on the dahlias and even the chilies were wilting.  We had not choice but to water last night once the sun was not so high.

The dipladenia are happy though:

A3EEB758-2935-4C5C-AFC5-6F3DFD17E2ED.thumb.jpeg.261f99b4480129ca87c011c1f553b595.jpeg

D88698DC-F630-4D16-ABCE-F3B47834DC3A.thumb.jpeg.3e9f73a907e8df23983acf94d29da79d.jpeg

DH really likes the lime green in these planters:

1572D983-5E75-47B5-9382-F6B8369A4C33.thumb.jpeg.6af6129740c7a9156370690c6d72d7fb.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on our Care list.  

Hope everyone can stay cool and safe on TGIF day.  Don’t forget your masks!

The colors are so vibrant, Jacqui! As always - thank you!

• Like 3

This is probably my first and definitely oldest sunrise (I think) photo.  It was taken on the SS Rotterdam on August 14, 1997, my first HAL cruise and my first cruise with Rick Spath as cruise director.  I was thinking I had lost the metadata but then realized it was a film camera and there was no such thing.  It was taken after our stop in Ketchikan and before our galley tour on the last sea day so while it was probably sunrise August 14 it might have been sunset August 13.

IMG0010.JPG.f6cb8121f9eab66e61b25250e488

I still use my SS Rotterdam coffee mugj

IMG_8935.JPG.8223faf87e33c662ec5794819321a038.JPG

Roy

• Like 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, your poke looked amazing. Joy, hope that Allen’s check up went well!

Rich - today’s map is quite an achievement!

@TiogaCruiser🥂to you & the first day of your new life! Though I welcome you putting on your public health hat, whenever you are inclined to do so!

Cruisin Single - 🥂 to your volunteerism. Another behind the scene hero!

Love creamsicles! And we all owe the Navajo Code Talkers a debt of gratitude.

The meal sounds interesting, though I would substitute something else for the lamb. Some seafood would pair nicely with today’s wine.

Here is WS’s take on today’s nicely priced wine. Later vintages are rated as high, or even higher!

WS93

Wine Spectator
Rich and firm, this white shows complex flavors of dried apple, creamed pear, heather, white tea, coconut and vanilla. Juicy acidity and light tannins keep this focused, providing structure for the long haul. A lovely example of the traditional style. Drink now through 2026.

Prayers to all on the Care list & cheers to all celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

A creamsicle sounds really good, will pass on the lamb for dinner tonight.

I am asking for positive thoughts on the weather for Sunday as we are planning an outdoor church service, but it doesn’t look promising.

Blessings  to all on our lists . Stay safe and cool.

• Like 6

Good morning. Thanks Rich for a send off to two of our beloved ships. 

So much to chat about this morning.

First, Allen's check up went very well. Praying for everyone on Roy's care list. Those wildfires are so terrible. We were very close to losing our place in Montana in 2000. Firefighters from all over the world, including Canada and New Zealand came to help. Finally our crew from New Zealand helped set up a back burn that finally put our side of the Bitterroots fire out.

@DeeniEncinitas I love poke and was drooling over your beautiful dish you made last night.  Where do you buy your poke? We always went to the Fish Market or Miso Phat. Hoping you and David drink in all of the beauty of your home. Love you sister.

@cat shepard I think the wine sounds interesting. I will look into it, but may not go on my list yet.

I LOVE lamb! Shanks or chops and really love lollypop chops. It will go on my market list for sure.

Have a hopeful, happy day. Don't forget to wear your Friday red until all of our troops come home. Love ya'll!

Many thanks to our:

Navajo Code Talkers: The one unbreakable code turned out to be a natural language whose phonetic and grammatical structure was so different from the languages familiar to the enemy that it was almost impossible to transcribe much less translate. The unbreakable code was coded Navajo spoken by native speakers of Navajo.

image.jpeg.b04f4dc2d04ba2285e3dae35235f365c.jpeg

Orange Creamsicle Vodka Exists, So We're Never Drinking Boring ...

Orange creamsicle vodka! YUM!

• Like 7

Good morning and farewell to the Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  Thanks to the thread keeper and to all the loyal followers.  Pass on the lamb for sure!  I could easily celebrate creamsicle day (if I had any in the freezer).  Another hot and humid day in Southern Ontario, the garden will definitely need a drink today.  Happy Friday everyone.

• Like 7

Seaspan Harrier is currently leaving the middle chamber headed towards the Pacific and I don't see anybody behind her.  I think Gulf Bridge will be the next ship to enter the locks although it will be a while.

Roy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think Gulf Bridge will be the next ship to enter the locks although it will be a while.

I'm really surprised she went thru the Pacific Locks last night. There is usually at least a bit of a wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love creamsicles, and may just have to go out and buy a few for the freezer.   Farewell to two of HAL's beautiful ships - may they continue to create wonderful memories for passengers on Fred Olson Lines.  I've read a lot about the Navajo Code Talkers, (I've always been interested in different languages)  they really impressed me with what they were able to do with theirs.

I love the Moroccan Lamb idea, and hopefully will get my fill of lamb during 2021's trans-Atlantic when we stop in Casablanca!  It seems we drank more and ate less last night while celebrating our friends' return to the city, so it looks like leftover pizza will be on our menu tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

No lamb in the house, but I would do a lamb curry if I had some! I often get lamb while on a HAL cruise, they seem to always do a good job with it.

To help celebrate the recent retirements, I am posting pictures from my "retirement cruise"; Eastern/Western Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov/Dec 2015. 

Sunset as we sail away from Key West -

image.thumb.png.a980d561e1933f8cfcfa5ad114ca47ec.png

Tulips in the Atrium -

image.thumb.png.b61b0929ef04608a002583469f84200e.png

Hibiscus along the street in Cruz Bay, Saint John's, USVI -

image.thumb.png.c2e614c06137931423de37231cbb02bb.png

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily.  Today we are having a split wall unit installed upstairs.  This will give us the ac we desperately need upstairs and an extra heat source in the winter.  There goes the money from one of our cancelled cruises.

Put to good use, I think.   Some of mine went to landscaping and will go towards a new washer and dryer.  The dryer is 37 years old and the washer is leaking.  

• Like 5

Happy Friday all!

Good to hear the Code Talkers are getting recognition. The last several powwows I attended there was an elder or two present who had served in that capacity. The  powwows are so much smaller and less frequent here than 15 years ago, and many of the Dineh from AZ no longer make the drive.

• Like 8