The Daily for Friday Aug 21, 2020

richwmn

today is National Spumoni Day and Senior Citizens Day 

The past always looks better than it was.  It's only pleasant because it isn't here.
        -- Finley Peter Dunne (Mr. Dooley)

Meal suggestion for today - Rosemary Salmon and Veggies

Wine of the day - Snowden Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Brothers Vineyard vintage 2016

Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage)  at Sea destination Mobile eta 8/21

At Sea Atlantic
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea Med
Maasdam destination Piraeus eta 8/22

Durban Anchorage
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Rotterdam
Amsterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek
Rotterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Singapore Area
Noordam
Zuiderdam

More shifting at the Shipyard in Rotterdam

0821Rotterdam.png

0821World.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the daily.  Never had spumoni but it sounds interesting.  I think National Seniors day will resonate here.  Just so true on the past.  My meal suggestion for August 21 is converging on Grilled Strip Loin.  I enjoyed it on the Veendam in 2013 with Strawberry Bisque and again in 2014 on the Statendam with Chilled Blueberry soup.  According to Marine Traffic, Nieuw Amsterdam is actually docked in Durban with a bunker barge alongside.

Today's care list:

Fat cat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

summer slopes neighbor

Those fighting wildfires, and those affected by them

Those affected by the Cedar Rapids Derecho

Rain and relief for those in Phoenix and the rest of the  south

Those preparing for tropical depressions 13 and 14

Teachers, students, and school support staff

Dr Fauci, recovering from vocal chord surgery

and Krazy Kruizers and Joe

Celebrations and shoutouts:

Sharon's in-laws

Front line health workers

Happy birthday week Ann

Healing for lindaler

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti for shutting down a party house

CC Mods for cleaning up spam posts

Cal Ripkin taking his prostate cancer recovery public

Welcome CrabbyPatti

and cruisin single enjoy your day off

Roy

• Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. I wish I could send some of my rain out to Colorado & California. Those fires are horrifying. 

Not a spumoni fan, but I will celebrate senior citizen day! Quote is spot on. Meal sounds great, but I plan to do that pizza I have been craving tonight. Kudos to those of you who make your own. I am too lazy to do that.

Today’s wine is pricey, but very highly rated. So if you are a Cab lover and willing to pay around $100, you might want to try this. 

WS94

Wine Spectator

Offers a tasty core of plum and blackberry fruit, backed by lively anise and apple wood notes. Restrained overall, with an alluring freshness and a subtle charcoal hint lingering deftly at the end. Drink now through 2032.

Prayers to all who need our support.

🥂 to all those celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

• Like 8

Wow Jake!  In your photo Sydney looks a lot nicer than when I took my sunrise photo on the way in to town.  The day got off to quite a lousy start as "sunrise" was just a band of red right at the horizon:

dawn0821.jpg

Roy

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Wow Jake!  In your photo Sydney looks a lot nicer than when I took my sunrise photo on the way in to town.  The day got off to quite a lousy start as "sunrise" was just a band of red right at the horizon:

dawn0821.jpg

Roy

But such an amazing picture, Roy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

dawn0821.jpg

Roy

Each time we’ve visited Sydney we had good weather and enjoyed going off the beaten path to find interesting things to see.  When on ship we don’t have the four legged children making us get up that early so get to sleep in a little bit.  Sunrises are rare for us.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for the daily.  I wonder if we will ever look back at 2020 and think it was pleasant.

Seven years ago today we were in Sydney,  Nova Scotia.  I really enjoy our visits to this lovely town.

6F8300EF-B89E-435A-83F0-0EAD8DCE6E9A.jpeg

I will bet you everyone on Rich's post have taken this exact picture! I have several from last Sept.

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I don't mind spumoni ice cream - I live with someone who hates it though, so if I buy some, it's just for me.  He claims the strawberry taints the chocolate and vanilla.  LOL  Here's to all senior citizens; didn't y'all think it would take longer to get here, though?  The quote today is spot on.

@rafinmd you've got me salivating with the mention of cold soups on HAL ships; I really miss them - it was like eating dessert first.  I love the suggestion of Rosemary Salmon, but don't have any salmon on hand, and will be joining some colleagues from work for a socially distanced visit in their back yard, so we might just be grazing our way through the fridge for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

44279D3A-F8A4-4A40-9DD0-1A8A75332BF1.png.8c1df9e2ba8bad3ae6af057840e0e164.png

C51ED29C-F1E3-4A8D-A7F2-68A017DC8059.png.3c1f4d72c8f69fe12c6ad7733699467c.png

I’ll happily celebrate our senior citizens day even though I don’t feel like one 🙂 

Love the meal suggestion and the quote is ever so true.

I have to pass on the wine - it’s over my budget 😉 

Loved this pergola/arbor from the Plaza de Gabriel Miro

81EBD7AD-8172-48B7-970E-C3D8FD79D938.thumb.jpeg.608d8eeb20cdb10a43823a40fa84b435.jpeg

I wish mine had flowers like it but sadly, mine has grapes.  The birds certainly enjoy them in the fall though 😉 The challenge is keeping the dogs away from any that fall and cleaning them up.

655C2DDC-8B17-46CE-8DBD-4CCACA108C8D.thumb.jpeg.a37fbe6af50efb07075760536c5c10d2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and Cheers to all we are celebrating.

Have a great Friday everyone 🙂 Stay safe & don’t forget your masks!

• Like 11

Senior Jokes

Good morning Rich. Another interesting hodge podge fun things. I will pass on the wine and Allen wants black eyed peas, pork chops and corn bread for dinner. I'll have a piece of chicken.

The building here in Sun City is booming. It is hard to believe since we moved here in June, our entire block is now completed, where only 6 homes were built when we moved in. So Senior Citizen's Day is really appropriate today!

image.jpeg.c29d82b4cf7fa41c842b4b1e3b098ac1.jpeg

Good morning to my sweet sisters Ann and Denise. Hope you have some fun things planned this weekend.

@kazu you copied my ice cream joke I was going to post!!  Out of all the jokes, right?

Roy, thank you for the care and prayer list. I prayed for Dr. Fauci last night after learning of his surgery. Prayers to all and everyone who needs a little extra thoughts and prayers today.

Hoping to get to Farmer's Market early, then maybe sneak over to Fish City Grill and grab some fried oysters tomorrow. I love the fresh tomatoes that can't be found in any market.. Next year I hope to plant my own herb and tomato garden.

Have a fun weekend. Be vigilant, wear your mask. Call a loved one. XX, Joy

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

you copied my ice cream joke I was going to post!!  Out of all the jokes, right?

Oh dear Joy, so sorry 😞 

What can I say except we both have good taste 😉 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good morning all! Thanks Rich for the Daily.  

We are prepping for our sons birthday this weekend. He will be 21 and spending it at home. No going out for the traditional 21st birthday drink in the time of COVID. He doesn’t mind though because his personality doesn’t lend to partying anyway. 

Dinner tonight will be something quick and easy. I haven’t quite decided yet. I’ve never had spumoni but I love ice cream so it’s worth a try. 

Hope everyone has a great day! I’m off to work now. 

• Like 6

I just pulled salmon out of the freezer for tonight (before looking at this thread), not sure if we'll do the tried and true lemon pepper and dill or go for something more exotic. Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes and Mitzi's leftover peach and blueberry pie are also on the menu. 

Here are some flowers on the Big Island near Hilo from our 2017 cruise -

537804881_DSC_0178(2).thumb.JPG.e52f3361bbfde79f10f84b868cb40868.JPG

DSC_0213.thumb.JPG.96dcce38a3fdb22605cdbdb1a9c43115.JPG

DSC_0207.thumb.JPG.93794af6010666811ff77775455f7cef.JPG

• Like 10

Good morning followers of Rich and this wonderful thread.  We will be celebrating Senior's Day here, would rather be on one of the HAL ships that has the gelato station, then we could celebrate Spumoni Day too. 🍨.   Love the quote.  Dinner is an open book right now, we cannot mutually  decide, but it won't be salmon.  Will it be a sad day when we see the Amsterdam and  Rotterdam after dry dock?  Thanks Roy for keeping up the 2 lists.  My wish is that there will only be one list - Cheers🍾

• Like 5

Good morning Rich, to everyone on The Daily and to my dear sisters!! 
Another  warm day here But also a brand new day!

I love spumoni!!!!No store bought but real spumoni. We enjoy it from our fav Italian restaurant here which they make it everyday. Will toast to all for Senior Citizen day this evening!! Good quote Rich!!

🌺Ann the wine looks good but the price tag is much! Thanks for giving us the daily on the wines.

🌺Roy love the sunrise pic in Sydney! Thank you for adding CrabbyPatti to our Welcome👍

🌺Joy your dinner sounds good! I never had black eye peas before!  You will be a master with your herb garden next year!!

With Jacqui’s knowledge I bet you will have a bounty herb garden👍
Take care all

Have a good day

Denise😊

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, gigianne said:

My wish is that there will only be one list - Cheers🍾

I think we will always need 2 lists.  My wish is that the caring list will be about less threatening matters.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all and thank you Rich for the Daily.

Spumoni -- a local Italian restaurant serves it for dessert, I like it but admit it's the only time I have it.  It is tasty though!  Usually I go for the chocolate. 😄

Love a good piece of fresh salmon, not fond of rosemary though.  That reminds me, I'd like to get to Pike Place and refill the freezer with seafood.  

I appreciate the jokes, photos, and Roy's Care List.  Great group of people here!!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Joy your dinner sounds good! I never had black eye peas before!  You will be a master with your herb garden next year!!

With Jacqui’s knowledge I bet you will have a bounty herb garden👍

Yes, I am hoping to get some gardening tips from Jacqui @kazu😉

And I forgot to say when we were in Venice, my favorite was a spumoni type gelato. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yes, I am hoping to get some gardening tips from Jacqui @kazu😉

And I forgot to say when we were in Venice, my favorite was a spumoni type gelato. 

I am happy to help in any way possible Joy.

Any herbs I grow I’ve started inside but our weather is very different from yours.

• Like 1

Good morning, and thank you, Rich for the daily news and Roy for the lists of the people we are thinking of.  We had discussed Dr. Fauci's hoarseness at home - my DH has something similar and was told they could inject his vocal cords with botox, if he wanted, but of course, that doesn't last forever.  I wonder what Dr. F. had done, I hope nothing bad.

Seniors Day is every day here.

48bebd.jpg.605b930daaa32383a292ce6ee22ce8b8.jpg

I know I posted a picture of my son's yellow peony this spring - he had given us some seedlings from the plant, which did not do well through the summer, so yesterday he brought me some of its seed pods.  They are amazingly beautiful.  I don't remember ever seeing them on my plant when I had one, I must have been much too diligent at deadheading!

image.jpeg.9dc18a3523e217a7e2a78f976661f096.jpeg

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.317ce487d191a65ff579c7a52b71ad23.jpeg

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

48bebd.jpg.605b930daaa32383a292ce6ee22ce8b8.jpg

Love it!

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.317ce487d191a65ff579c7a52b71ad23.jpeg

For a moment I thought we were looking at vanilla whoopie pies filled with raspberries served over a baked potato. Then I took a sip of coffee.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5