HUGE Changes To Cruising: YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!!

Jimbo

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I think I will wait and learn the information that comes out from the particular cruise line, not a couple of bloggers. 

m

Totally agree, wait and see. 

• Like 1

Here is the latest I have seen from Richard Fain: Pent-up demand he is calling it.

My guess is the start up for cruising won't start up until he gets a new shirt and gets his hair cut and dyed.........Once you see that cruising will begin.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, John&LaLa said:

I was surprised that wow bands can be used for contact tracing. Or did they just throw that in for contactless purchasing 

I saw a utube of msc who is using bands on the current cruise. They allow for drink purchasing for contactless purchasing and for knowing where you been if someone comes down with covid, they can tell you how far away you were from that person. Both of what you said. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I saw a utube of msc who is using bands on the current cruise. They allow for drink purchasing for contactless purchasing and for knowing where you been if someone comes down with covid, they can tell you how far away you were from that person. Both of what you said. 

It's my understanding that the MSC & Princess devices are more sophisticated

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's my understanding that the MSC & Princess devices are more sophisticated

Maybe rcl will have to become more sophisticated and do contactless purchasing but maybe not. Vaccines should start to come out this November says JnJ about theirs. They are in phase 3 with 60k prior to releasing to public as of this sept. 

A bracelet would be easier than having to carry your card around covid or no covid. But true it was msc, who also said they spent 60k each cruise for covid which would mean higher prices to break even. Easier with a cruise from italy which probably costs more than a usa cruise. Plexiglass at check in pt, temp taken everytime you board, etc. Buffet behind plexiglass, all crew at buffet in masks, though I agree with some here some were shields, what to stop stuff dripping down if staff is wearing a shield not  mask. 

But it wouldnt surprise me for the future. Depends what they could get the price down to for more sophisticated bands

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe rcl will have to become more sophisticated and do contactless purchasing but maybe not. Vaccines should start to come out this November says JnJ about theirs. They are in phase 3 with 60k prior to releasing to public as of this sept. 

A bracelet would be easier than having to carry your card around covid or no covid. But true it was msc, who also said they spent 60k each cruise for covid which would mean higher prices to break even. Easier with a cruise from italy which probably costs more than a usa cruise. Plexiglass at check in pt, temp taken everytime you board, etc. Buffet behind plexiglass, all crew at buffet in masks, though I agree with some here some were shields, what to stop stuff dripping down if staff is wearing a shield not  mask. 

But it wouldnt surprise me for the future. Depends what they could get the price down to for more sophisticated bands

From what I understand,  its not just the bands, it's also the receivers/transmitters thru out the ship.  I'm sure it could be done, but it depends on the payback and the effectiveness.

The current system is fairly passive,  probably doesn't capture data

Remember when WOW bands debuted with launch of Quantum.  Scanners were out of reach behind bars so to pay for a drink you had to remove WOW band and hand it to bartender.  They often had a bunch laying back there so you just prayed you were charged for the correct drink and received the right WOW band back.

4 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Remember when WOW bands debuted with launch of Quantum.  Scanners were out of reach behind bars so to pay for a drink you had to remove WOW band and hand it to bartender.  They often had a bunch laying back there so you just prayed you were charged for the correct drink and received the right WOW band back.

I can see the servers having a portable reader in the future. They did say all drinks had to be delivered.  I wonder if they can serve multiple tables at a time.

All these moves seem very labor intensive.

The robot bartenders might be working overtime😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, drsel said:

I heard that the MSC wristbands have the most advanced technology.

It's been my experience in all areas of life they keep adding more and more technology. Why would cruising be different?  I can see these changes coming. Covid, just speeding up some tech out there.

We already got virtual balconies. Oasis I couldn't get a paper deck plan, they had these things on the end of the hallways to show you where stuff was. Never did find out how to see other deck deck plans from the deck I was on. Other tech. More tech coming like it or not. 

I think msc you had ordering by that code thing, have to ask for a disposable menu if you dont have a smart phone.  Upgraded wristbands will be here one day. 

We were on a MSC cruise last summer and bought the wrist bands ($5 or $6.) They had portable scanners at the bars, stores, restaurants, etc and could open our cabin door with them. We did not have to take them off for anything. The only time we needed our cards were to turn the power on in the cabin and when getting on or off the ship. Not sure if they could track us around the ship but it may have been nice when looking for each other.

We were on a MSC cruise last summer and bought the wrist bands ($5 or $6.) They had portable scanners at the bars, stores, restaurants, etc and could open our cabin door with them. We did not have to take them off for anything. The only time we needed our cards were to turn the power on in the cabin and when getting on or off the ship. Not sure if they could track us around the ship but it may have been nice when looking for each other.
They can track you if you wearing the band. This is important for contact tracing, just in case....

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I think I will wait and learn the information that comes out from the particular cruise line, not a couple of bloggers. 

m

Totally agree.  When Royal tells me the new rules, I will believe them.  No one else