Cunard extends Pause into 2021 - an omen?

Cunard was set to resume operating in November 2020, but has now extended its pause in operations until 25 March 2021, at the earliest.

Queen Elizabeth will resume sailings on 25 March, while Queen Mary 2 will restart sailings on 18 April 2021. Finally, Queen Victoria will resume operations on 16 May 2021.

I saw this earlier in the morning. At least they are dates that seem to be realistic.

If things improve greatly they can always be moved forward. Top that off with the fact that they are no taking people’s money for the next 3 months or so, depending on their final payment dates.

IMO they are being fair to their guests in this announcement. I wonder how long the next period of cancellations will last for RC. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

I L&S'ed all my winter cruises to 2022.  I couldn't see making final payment for cruises (esp. those in January that were 11 nights) which in all likelihood would either not sail or be so riddled with "safety" rules that I would not be able to thoroughly enjoy myself.  

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I saw this earlier in the morning. At least they are dates that seem to be realistic.

If things improve greatly they can always be moved forward. Top that off with the fact that they are no taking people’s money for the next 3 months or so, depending on their final payment dates.

IMO they are being fair to their guests in this announcement. I wonder how long the next period of cancellations will last for RC. 🤷‍♂️

My guess with nothing to back it up is that they will extend it thru December 15 2020

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I L&S'ed all my winter cruises to 2022.  I couldn't see making final payment for cruises (esp. those in January that were 11 nights) which in all likelihood would either not sail or be so riddled with "safety" rules that I would not be able to thoroughly enjoy myself.  

Amen

1 hour ago, atanac said:

Cunard ships are filled with seniors who are extremely vulnerable. Their demographic is not

your typical cruise passenger so I can see the reasoning behind this delay.

It is not just because of seniors but because they canceled the World Cruises of QM2 and QV which are the most unlikely cruises to happen.

1 hour ago, atanac said:

Cunard ships are filled with seniors who are extremely vulnerable. Their demographic is not

What do you think the average age of cruisers is?  

Here is some perspective.  https://www.cruise1st.co.uk/blog/cruise-holidays/how-old-is-the-average-cruise-passenger/#:~:text=According to the Cruise Lines,cruise passengers for that year.

Note they say children bring down the average.

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

What do you think the average age of cruisers is?  

53.   Dropping to 46 in summer months and spring break cruises.😁

Average adult age is probably 58.  Dropping to 50 during family cruising times.

But I think what's being referenced here is the age cohorts.  And probably the largest age cohort is 65+ followed by 50-65.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

53.   Dropping to 46 in summer months and spring break cruises.😁

Average adult age is probably 58.  Dropping to 50 during family cruising times.

But I think what's being referenced here is the age cohorts.  And probably the largest age cohort is 65+ followed by 50-65.

Cunard doesn't have the monopoly on age.  Children drag down the average quite a bit, but they do not make up the majority of cruisers even during holidays.  If you leave out children's ages, the average age of adults is higher than most think on ALL cruise lines .  Cunard did what they did because of the world cruises which has so many ports which can't really be moved and the TA's which can't currently happen anyway.  I just get tired of stereotyping.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BND said:

Cunard doesn't have the monopoly on age.  Children drag down the average quite a bit, but they do not make up the majority of cruisers even during holidays.  If you leave out children's ages, the average age of adults is higher than most think on ALL cruise lines .  Cunard did what they did because of the world cruises which has so many ports which can't really be moved and the TA's which can't currently happen anyway.  I just get tired of stereotyping.

That's what my tongue in cheek/foot in mouth WAG (look it up) indicated.  Avg age drops when kids are on board. I wasn't fingerpointing to Cunard.  True for all lines.

Edited by crewsweeper

5 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

March 2021 cruises resume......I can see it. 

Now the million dollar question, will our border be open to let us go?  Top that off with, will we have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon our return?  Not so sure about final payment in December. 

• Like 1

I sailed X, Cunad and Holland- and had the feeling that the age group was quite the same- very few children on board Cunard Queens though.

The World cruises were the reason for those long distant cancelations- if things get better- I am sure they will cough up a few cruises - possibly out to nowhere at first, with less passengers. All three Queens are around England- so if the UK´s numbers of infected go down- they may do the same as TUI Cruises out of Germany.

13 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Cunard was set to resume operating in November 2020, but has now extended its pause in operations until 25 March 2021, at the earliest.

Queen Elizabeth will resume sailings on 25 March, while Queen Mary 2 will restart sailings on 18 April 2021. Finally, Queen Victoria will resume operations on 16 May 2021.

I am criticized by some to be too pessimistic in my prospective, but this was fully expected IMHO, reality suggest nothing will be happening with cruising till summer at the earliest. 

12 hours ago, atanac said:

Agree, also longer Cruises, T/A and World Cruises the norm. Different then Mainstream Lines

15 hours ago, atanac said:

On the 3 Cunard cruises we have taken the ships were definitely not filled with seniors. However, I would think the world cruises programme would be. Not many younger working people could cruise for 3 months or more.