Cruise Withdrawals -- Anyone Else???

doone

My DH and I miss cruising too.  We miss our cruise friends (people who we have got to know on our cruises).  We are lucky to be able to keep in touch via E-mail and phone.

We canceled our 3/4 12 night cruise on the K-dam.  This year we were going to try to cruise just about  every month or two.  I was lucky that I did not make deposits on those cruise.

I am grateful for all the cruises that we have taken.  

I am praying for all those all around the world who have been affected by this virus.

• Like 1

Not missing cruising at all. Not missing flying either. 

Have spent a lot of time with books, pictures and videos of the places left on my bucket list - had big photos made of the key highlights - created a "remainder of the bucket list" trip wall. I look at it daily and I am so satisfied. Did cooking using regionally specific recipes and got my hands on wine from the various bucket list locations. 

Had some former cruising friends over in a bubble and they went through their bucket list pictures, videos. They are currently building their wall. 

What I and they realized is the cost benefit analysis - the benefits to be gained by doing our bucket list places do not offset the costs and effort in going. That is where cruising died for us. Also realized that cruising is increasingly a fake experience with fake ships now turned into Vegas hotels with less linkage to the ocean. With the likely "processed" shore excursions, not a chance.

So, took a nice amount of the overseas trip budget and purchased a fabulous new SUV (like some of my friends and apparently many others have done). Plan driving trips for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

So do I miss cruising.🤫  Today I took out the DH's suits and brushed them down, repaired pockets, Dryeled them and hung them neatly in the get ready area.  I washed and starch-ironed his suit shirts and matched ties.  I polished shoes a few days ago.  The cruise isn't until July! 

We were supposed to sail in November, supposed to be in Denver now and New Orleans in October😪

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

Yes, I miss cruising. Now that DH and I have the time and our finances can support it, our plans were to cruise more and take longer cruises. Now we stay home and dream of traveling. I am grateful that we aren't suffering like some and have been healthy. And at least there's my garden. That 1/3 acre is looking so much better this year! 

• Like 3

It would be nice to be looking forward to a cruise again soon.

The longer the restrictions of the pandemic persist, the more difficult it is to stay positive...about a lot of things.

I do volunteer work in the library bookstore, read books by the dozen,  paint,  ride my bike every morning at 6am for several miles....and do it all while thinking how nice it would be having breakfast at sea on the balcony of a HAL ship.

Tough times.......but still very thankful.

• Like 3

I normally Cruise once a year. We were fortunate enough to cruise in February 2020 (weeks before the shutdown). My next one isn’t scheduled until February 2021, so if that sails, I will not have missed any cruises. I’ll be on my normal schedule

But psychologically, I’m feeling terrible withdrawals, simply because I’m not ALLOWED to cruise right now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

We certainly miss cruising and look forward to the next time we can cruise.  We miss the anticipation of visiting new places and cultures and the planning that goes with it.  We missed being away for part of late winter in New England and our longer fall trips to Europe.  But, we are of an age that we don't have to worry about jobs or raising young children through all this and are grateful since so many are in really difficult circumstances.  Trying to keep it all in perspecitive...

One of these days we will get back on a cruise!  At least we have the memories of the ones we have gone on.  I am especially grateful for 2 of them.  One year we went to Alaska with Dad and his wife wonderful memories made, he now suffers from dementia and just doesn't recognize much anymore. 

The next year we returned to on an Alaska cruise with my Mom and sister, it was fortunate as then 10 months later she suffered a stroke.  It has been three years and she has recovered enough to be independent in a retirement apartment, but is hesitant due to her stamina to try another cruise.  I know if she had not had a stroke she would cruise again, she wishes she had taken her first cruise long before she did!

So we are still dreaming of future cruises, we would love to take the 2 oldest Grandsons on a "Graduation" cruise in 3 years, but will wait and see what the future holds for us and them.

Hi,

I certainly miss cruises. My most recent cruise was in December 2019. I had four cruises cancelled for 2020 (two Cunard, one Holland America and one Crystal). Beginning in 1982, I have taken at least one cruise every year. 2020 is breaking my streak. I haven't left Chicago since December.

I currently have only one cruise booked - the Koningsdam seven-day coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver scheduled for late April 2021. I am not very confident that this cruise will actually take place. At least I have a lot of great memories.  

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

I booked a cruise for next July. Venice to Barcelona. We had future cruise deposits that expire in Oct 2021, so there is nothing more out of pocket until April. 

Now I can dream and plan for next year. The room selection was also great. I got a room exactly where I want it.

our june 6th nine day cruise on niuew statendam to scandinavia has been changed....not sure to what yet....but it looks like it is reduced to seven days.

if true, even  if it goes, it is not worth the flights for a short cruise....was to begin in amsterdam....and end in bergen.  now it might be RT amsterdam....we've been there and don't want to extend on either end...so it's probably a no-go.

just wish they would announce something.   it seems june is too close and too iffy to go anyway.

glad we have memories and our health....but we're getting older and who knows .what's on the horizon....

43 minutes ago, xeena said:

our june 6th nine day cruise on niuew statendam to scandinavia has been changed....not sure to what yet....but it looks like it is reduced to seven days.

if true, even  if it goes, it is not worth the flights for a short cruise....was to begin in amsterdam....and end in bergen.  now it might be RT amsterdam....we've been there and don't want to extend on either end...so it's probably a no-go.

just wish they would announce something.   it seems june is too close and too iffy to go anyway.

glad we have memories and our health....but we're getting older and who knows .what's on the horizon....

Your June 6, 2021 is a seven night itinerary to Norway: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E1N07Q/J139.html 

Edited by Taters

i figured that... but both TA and HAL said to wait a few weeks for the final decree.  guess we wont be going!  maybe they will offer something in return for changing the itinerary? we have a viking ocean oct 24, 2021 (rebooked and paid in full after our april trip was cancelled) so it will have to be 2022.  god, hope we live that long!

Oh my gosh yes I am missing cruising.  I had my first transatlantic cruise planned for October out of Southampton but it was cancelled.  The first part of my trip was going to be visiting my parents in Beverly, East Yorkshire but it's all had to be cancelled sadly.  So, I've re-scheduled to do a transatlantic next year on HAL's newest ship Rotterdam out of Amsterdam. Hopefully, cruising resumes!  I will visit my parents and then take a ferry on DFDS King Seaways to Amsterdam and then get on the Rotterdam, super stoked!

DH and I miss cruising so much. We would have gone on 3 cruises between March and now (Sept. 22). Instead, we have sheltered in place in our Florida home only going out for groceries and restaurant take out. After more than six months, we have ventured out now for a month's "up north" vacation wearing our masks and social distancing and disinfecting the stuffing out of us. Enjoying the fall colors and great food we miss living in FL. Have a Carnival cruise booked for Nov., but doubt it will go and even doubt a Feb. cruise will sail. So, we wait patiently for our booked Nieuw Statendam cruise in April 2021.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:29 PM, Mary229 said:

So do I miss cruising.🤫  Today I took out the DH's suits and brushed them down, repaired pockets, Dryeled them and hung them neatly in the get ready area.  I washed and starch-ironed his suit shirts and matched ties.  I polished shoes a few days ago.  The cruise isn't until July! 

We were supposed to sail in November, supposed to be in Denver now and New Orleans in October😪

I have two pairs of shoes that could use a polish.😀

• Like 2