The Daily for Wednesday Sep 30, 2020

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the thread, the pictures, and the giggles. I ❤️ hot mulled cider, so I'll see if I have some in my David's Tea collection. It's cool enough to enjoy. I'm beyond the mud pack days!  For Orange Shirt Day:

120441235_10159017593287386_391102468515832032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=wQ2OAGo3A4QAX8tifpN&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=be24b05f1d7ccc1cff10eface73b62e6&oe=5F9B0A81

I knew about residential schools but did not realize that they were in operation until 1996 until I  was teaching the granddaughter of a former resident.  Our principal shared that fact. The hurt of the grandma passed to her daughter and to her granddaughter. No wonder they had such bad feelings towards our schools. 😢 

Huge guffaws with the quote. We had chicken last night, but we love chicken, so maybe again tonight? Love the drinks.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I am also remembering the singer Helen Reddy who passed away yesterday at age 78; as I posted on FB, her song helped many women roar'

Absolutely! I remember singing that non-stop. It definitely helped to shape me with confidence into who I am today. 

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

So, solely in the name of scientific research, I bought a bottle of Ginger Liquor to test out yesterday's drink "All The Man I Need". I used about 2 parts bourbon (Evan Williams), 1 part Ginger Liquor (Stirrings), 1 part lemon juice, and 1/2 part agave nectar on the rocks (not shaken). My first impression was "this is a whisky sour with a bit of ginger thrown in, what's the point?" But after awhile, maybe because of dilution as the ice melted, it really did grow on me. I "googled" ginger liquor drinks and it looks like there are a bunch that will be worthy of more scientific study!

Thank you for being the scientist in the group. We look for your guidance and are awaiting the data with bated breath.

I got tired of the smoke alarm announcing "dinner's ready" every time I used the oven, so I cleaned it last night while watching some TV show😉. Today, I'm going to continue that energy and clean out the pantry. That should take me all day. LOL That's okay, though, it is a dull, windy, cool (14ºC) day. 

For all who need prayers, I send prayers. For those celebrating, I smile and celebrate with you. For everyone, I wish a happy day!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Lol. Not to be gross but sometimes wine folks get kinda icky with their "tasting notes." The most repulsive I have ever read were " cat pee on a gooseberry bush" and "carnival bathroom urinal" ....which begs the questions how do you know what THOSE things taste like and who would ever want to drink anything that tastes like that? 

These make “lime pith” sound much more appealing!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Lol. Not to be gross but sometimes wine folks get kinda icky with their "tasting notes." The most repulsive I have ever read were " cat pee on a gooseberry bush" and "carnival bathroom urinal" ....which begs the questions how do you know what THOSE things taste like and who would ever want to drink anything that tastes like that? 

😀

Being one who senses that chemical, I can really relate. I’ve quietly told my hubby several times many white wines ( including many champagnes)  taste like the front porch smell after the neighbor’s cat went through.  

A few years back I was getting help on wine from our Trader Joes and just mentioned I found most white wines had a very unpleasant taste, and HE asked if it was cat pee. 😱 I was a little surprised, and he went on to say some people just sense that chemical more. So I’ve got company. A while back one of the Wine Guys on the HAL forum posted an interesting article about it. 

(Ripe guavas are the same to me. They really stink up the room with cat %#€

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I am a fairly pedestrian wine drinker, which is good as I am not expensive!

Several years ago we went to a wine tasting event on a Celebrity ship, and it was rather "stuffy".  

On one red, a gentleman said that he smelled hints of raspberry.  The sommelier asked if it was red raspberry or black raspberry, which struck me as a rather fine shade of difference.  I leaned over to DH and whispered "I smell baloney".

Thanks to all of you for introspection, fun, and great photos!

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

49 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Joke4Fun Memes: I ate mud

This one hits too close to home. I'm told that when I was small and would get mad at my mother I would go out to the garden and eat dirt clods. My grandfather commented once that he understood that every man has to eat a peck of dirt before he dies, but wondered why I felt the need to eat mine all at once.

Thanks for the memories.

George

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for the updates, laughs, and positive vibes!

Val, Ellie is adorable. Having grown up with big water loving dogs, parfum de Wet Dog was a common scent around our house. Our big golden had his own baby pool mom would fill up when the creek would finally run dry in summer just so he could lounge around in it. When he would shake off, we better be 20 ft away or we would need a bath. 

The wine and drink o' the day sound intriguing. I have no clue what is for dinner tonight. Probably something with chicken.

High of 71/ low of 48 and bright blue skies here. Almost October, Wow!

Today has already been hectic already and I still have to place a Home Depot order and do laundry. Joy.

Take care all.

Have a spectacular and safe day!

• Like 7

Good morning  and thanks everyone!   The wine discussion  makes be think of ABC, anything but Chardonnay. Yet I’ve discovered that I liked unoaked Chardonnay.  Oak is fine in red, just not white wines.

we are having a lovely fall, which I am grateful as the farmers almanac is predicting a cold winter😫.

A1DFE27F-06F3-4F1C-9997-1EE311259E41.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning  and thanks everyone!   The wine discussion  makes be think of ABC, anything but Chardonnay. Yet I’ve discovered that I liked unoaked Chardonnay.  Oak is fine in red, just not white wines.

we are having a lovely fall, which I am grateful as the farmers almanac is predicting a cold winter😫.

A1DFE27F-06F3-4F1C-9997-1EE311259E41.jpeg

Your tres are lovely.

While I have no inhibitions sensing “feline factor” I‘m still puzzled about this “oak” flavor. I recognize it when I guide a piece of red oak down my table saw, and smell it in the Chapparal where I ride, but have not identified either sensation in a glass of wine. Somehow it must be different? Or my Oak sensor is impaired?

(But then again, I don’t do Chardonnay.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Your tres are lovely.

While I have no inhibitions sensing “feline factor” I‘m still puzzled about this “oak” flavor. I recognize it when I guide a piece of red oak down my table saw, and smell it in the Chapparal where I ride, but have not identified either sensation in a glass of wine. Somehow it must be different? Or my Oak sensor is impaired?

To add another nuance of the oak saga: when I lived in the mid-Atlantic, my allergies to oak included wine aged in oak. Now that I am in Florida, I can drink any wine (except one that tastes like cat pee), with no problem. I am not as allergic to the Live Oaks as I am to other varieties. And my allergies have significantly improved. Crazy world!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon!  It has been a busy day so far and I am late to the laptop.  Thank you to Rich and Roy for the Daily, and I love all the muddy comments!  @Copper10-8,  my mother told me a little earth is good for you - I used to nibble it as a child.  Maybe there are minerals we need...  also, growing up the Philippines, I ate a lot of "street food", so I guess that too gave me immunities!

We went to Costco this morning - it was almost like getting up really early to catch a flight to FLL for a cruise (!!), and when we got there at 7:30 it turned out "Seniors' Hour" is no more - we ended up wandering off to a nearby Timmie's for a latte while we waited for the regular opening at 9.  Fortunately it was not too crowded and we got through quickly, as I did want to pull up some of the ivy which is taking over in the back of our townhouse.  Now I am worn out, so I will be taking it easy this afternoon.

When we got home there was a message from our PCC, one mention was that they are waiting (anxiously?) for a new message from HAL... I don't know what that is all about, but I guess I will be checking the HAL blog more often.  She may be doubtful about our cruise in April...

It is hazy here today - we are threatened with smoke again, but it will be coming from further away, California instead of Washington, so hopefully will not be as dense.  Poor California!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Here are some more flowers from St. Kitts, Spring 2019 -

image.thumb.png.55e136a87a3f459a0cbc862242e295f9.png

image.thumb.png.1e70ea7e0dbf1114119d1ac92643dedc.png

image.thumb.png.efa215de09f2864fa836f18443471d47.png

I am not sure what they are called, but they seem to be everywhere in the Caribbean.

It looks like what is known in Florida as Ixora.🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

As a person of Metis ancestry, I will wear an orange shirt today in memory of those who suffered at the residential schools. 

I saw a movie or TV show that had a story line about a residential school but am racking my brain to remember what show it was. I’m thinking it was “When Calls the Heart “ but could be wrong.  Sad, very sad.  I had no idea that was what Orange Shirt day meant. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We went to Costco this morning - it was almost like getting up really early to catch a flight to FLL for a cruise (!!), and when we got there at 7:30 it turned out "Seniors' Hour" is no more - we ended up wandering off to a nearby Timmie's for a latte while we waited for the regular opening at 9.  Fortunately it was not too crowded and we got through quickly, as I did want to pull up some of the ivy which is taking over in the back of our townhouse.  Now I am worn out, so I will be taking it easy this afternoon.

We went to Costco this morning also. I had heard that the early hours were not in effect any longer so we arrived at 9:00 am and it wasn’t crowded at all but by the time we were done it had gotten busier. So nice to walk through the aisles by yourself. 

About the wine notes.....  I can’t stand oaky Chardonnay either so stopped drinking all Chardonnay. I drink mostly Sauvignon Blanc. Sancere can have flint notes, it’s just an earthy quality. My husband loves them and most New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs have that quality too. Thank goodness I don’t have the “cat” issue, just thinking about it makes me gag. 

Have a great day everyone!!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

for a new message from HAL... I don't know what that is all about, but I guess I will be checking the HAL blog more often.  She may be doubtful about our cruise in April...

Well if your April TA is a bust, you can always join us on the November TA - fabulous itinerary - Spanish, Morocco, 2 Canary Islands and an overnight in Madeira.  Call me an optimist but I’m thinking by November things will be more safe and back to a “semi” normal and we here will have a vaccine.

Even though we lose hours, I’ve been more drawn to the Spring TA’s but this one is wonderful.  So, if I’m right, it all works 😉 

• Like 6

Well forget Teddy.  We got a weather bomb today and thanks to the weather station we got warned this morning it was coming and to prepare for today.  WTH?

It was already blowing so hard you couldn’t do much.

I think we will have more damage from this than we did from Teddy judging from the tree branches that crashed on my neighbours cars 😞 

A0DF9084-ED4A-427E-8AEC-14C6EF85575F.gif.4673e22b1d0d38e4ce90fbec49a3fb69.gif

My linden (which we care for well) was straining at the bottom tree trunk.  No one saw this coming.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well forget Teddy.  We got a weather bomb today and thanks to the weather station we got warned this morning it was coming and to prepare for today.  WTH?

It was already blowing so hard you couldn’t do much.

I think we will have more damage from this than we did from Teddy judging from the tree branches that crashed on my neighbours cars 😞 

A0DF9084-ED4A-427E-8AEC-14C6EF85575F.gif.4673e22b1d0d38e4ce90fbec49a3fb69.gif

My linden (which we care for well) was straining at the bottom tree trunk.  No one saw this coming.

Yikes!  Hope not too much damage!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Yikes!  Hope not too much damage!  

thanks.  I think we’ll be ok although my maple has a lot of branches down.

We crown and take care of our trees so we usually are good that way except for smaller branches but I’m sorry I moved the dahlias out of the pergola.  They are taking a beating and we’ve already picked up 5 planters that were knocked down.

I’ll check it tomorrow.  And of course, the puppies aren’t happy about it at all

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, kazu said:

We crown and take care of our trees so we usually are good that way except for smaller branches but I’m sorry I moved the dahlias out of the pergola.  They are taking a beating and we’ve already picked up 5 planters that were knocked down.

I’ll check it tomorrow.  And of course, the puppies aren’t happy about it at all

Hope no serious damage. What a year!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good grief! You guys can not catch a break. Stay safe!!

• Like 3