The Daily for Saturday Oct 10, 2020

richwmn

today is International Newspaper Carrier Day, National Angel Food Cake Day, and Hug a Drummer Day

A diplomat is a man who can convince his wife she'd look stout in a fur coat.

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili

Drink of the Day - Far East Legacy

Wine of the day - Bernard Baudry Chinon vintage 2017

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Willemstad eta 10/12

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1009World.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

From Roy

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

California and Colorado Wildfires

Seasick Sailor;s skunk

those in the path of Delta

RIP Whitey Ford

Denise’s friend with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer (but pleased she’s comfortable).

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

MS Rotterdam in the water

Return of Amsterdam Luggage

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

and cruisin single helping Colorado firefighters(Heroes never think they are)

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good Saturday morning everyone.

Thanks for the Daily.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal and wine suggestions.  It's Thanksgiving weekend, so we'll be having turkey tomorrow.  Just hubby, the dog and me.  No guests.☹️  No visit to my mom's.☹️   The numbers are going up, and there are more restrictions in some cities.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile. 🙂 

Thanks @richwmn as well for copying and pasting @rafinmd Roy’s list which he so diligently posted on yesterday’s daily before his early morning schedule. ❤️ 

Nice to celebrate our newspaper carriers as it’s so nice to have our paper here every morning.   Love Angel Food cake!  No hugging in these days and since I don’t know any drummers, I can’t celebrate.

LOL on that quote.

I will pass on the meal suggestion of turkey since it will be later for Thanksgiving this week.  Looking forward to hearing about the drink and wine of the day.

And of course, we will have wine 😉. For those that are limited to where they can go and enjoy any wine tours....

8EE7FBB1-9AF8-4664-ADC9-BFF962C7BE46.thumb.jpeg.ee5a645d1a8b61ba7b65f535f8e23b76.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list & to anyone who needs them and a tip of the glass in toast to those we are celebrating.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and hopefully out of the way out of Delta and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 13

Good morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. Look forward to it "daily"..

Thank you for posting Roy's Prayers and Celebrations list.

The chili sounds great right now because it's 64. Waiting for the wine as I do not know what chinon is?

Good morning sisters Ann and Denise. Praying for our Denise's friend. Hoping she is still comfortable.

Hello fellow Daily-ites and Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in Canada.

We definitely saw a raccoon in the yard last night. He waddled under the bird feeder, cleaned up the left over seed, tried to reach the feeder (couldn't) and waddled on down towards the neighbors. Didn't see or smell Pepe. Jeez.

Going to try my new air fryer tonight. Making chicken wings. I also want to make the Brussels sprouts with balsamic, bacon, and pecans. Sounds good right? 

Wishing you a great weekend. Call a loved one, send a note. Be kind. Blessings to all.

Drummer jokes - Home | Facebook

• Like 11

Good morning Rich, Roy(when he finishes his errands) and all my fellow dailyites.

Love our newspaper carriers...hate that we have to do 2 days online due to the covid.  Great nephew plays drums in college drum line. 

Will pass on the menu.  Love your brussels spouts recipe Sailor.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends.

Far East Lecacy cocktail:

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  We need those numbers to fall.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good Saturday morning everyone.

Thanks for the Daily.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal and wine suggestions.  It's Thanksgiving weekend, so we'll be having turkey tomorrow.  Just hubby, the dog and me.  No guests.☹️  No visit to my mom's.☹️   The numbers are going up, and there are more restrictions in some cities.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

This post brought to mind the many, many turkey dinners we have enjoyed on a HAL ship to celebrate the Canada Thanksgiving.  I have an October birthday, so we usually take an October cruise to celebrate.  Not this year, but a nice turkey dinner sounds great anyhow.  Nice reminder!   😊🍗😋

• Like 11

Good morning All,

I just finished reading yesterday’s daily.  Wonderful pictures, and a few giggles that are most welcome.

@cruzn single every cog keeps the motor going.  The mention of cogs always makes me think about a performance review my nephew, an outstanding employee, received once.  His manager wrote that he was “a very important clog in our wheel”. Sigh.

@Seasick Sailor we love having an assortment of critters in our yard (except that SPIDER!).  We know they’re all just trying to get along like we are.  It’s been a few years (too much building now), but one spring and summer we had a family of 5 raccoons that would visit our patio.  Likely because we bought dry dog food just for them, and put it out.  The babies were adorable.  Now we have the occasional ‘possum, but mostly just birds and squirrels.

DH will be proud to hear it’s “paperboy” day.  He has many great stories about his childhood career.

I am grateful to be on the Cares list.  There is a bit of movement on the job front, but still a work in progress.  I’ve requested a discussion for an exit timeline, and was told “a couple of weeks”.  If it’s not forthcoming, I’ll just call the question and point out that the cooperation angle got no response, so here’s what’s going to happen.  It’s good to know that you guys are thinking about me.

Canadians, happy Thanksgiving!  Everyone, happy weekend and stay safe!

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

This post brought to mind the many, many turkey dinners we have enjoyed on a HAL ship to celebrate the Canada Thanksgiving.  I have an October birthday, so we usually take an October cruise to celebrate.  Not this year, but a nice turkey dinner sounds great anyhow.  Nice reminder!   😊🍗😋

Happy birthday! I also have a birthday this month.

• Like 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Hope you had fun last night. Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & Rich, thank you for posting them!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, do expect much rain from Delta? Some of its outer rain bands may hit us later today, but have certainly been blessed this year.  BTW “Chinon” is part of the Loire region & it is another red wine. Deeni, hope you are enjoying your new kitchen.

Another great combo of days, though I guess it should be “elbow bump a drummer day”!
Having slow cooker chicken tacos & sangria tonight with friends. Fairly close to today’s meal suggestion! @kazu, love your wine tour! A wonderful Thanksgiving to all our neighbors to the North!

The drink does not sound very appealing to me.

Prayers to all who need our support! And a shout out to those who are celebrating & to Roy, who made sure the list was covered!

Stay well everyone!

This Cabernet Franc has a very good rating, but might be hard to find. I found it for $15.99 a bottle from a seller in France. I love the winemakers notes that even suggest what food it would pair well with & even tells you that it is best enjoyed with food. Not to mention that it is “lithe, but dense”.🤔

#44 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

This cuvée comes from their highest vineyard, which rests on a plateau of gravel, sand, and limestone, and it is arguably their best entry point into the charm of Loire Valley Cabernet Franc, lithe and less dense than the bottlings from their clay-and-limestone terroirs. Spontaneous fermentation and unfiltered bottling lead to a delicate, peppery wine with notes of blackberries, currants, and leather. Matthieu Baudry says the reds of Chinon are best enjoyed with food, and this particular bottling is versatile enough to accompany a wide range of plats, from lentil soup to charcuterie to roast chicken.

WS92 Wine Spectator
A gorgeous red, with tobacco, bay leaf and black pepper notes underscoring the dark cherry and cola flavors. Beautifully integrated tannins join the fresh acidity and create a solid structure that gives this harmony and promises a long life ahead. Delicious now, but should be even better in a few years. Best from 2021 through 2030.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@Seasick Sailor we love having an assortment of critters in our yard (except that SPIDER!).  We know they’re all just trying to get along like we are.  It’s been a few years (too much building now), but one spring and summer we had a family of 5 raccoons that would visit our patio.  Likely because we bought dry dog food just for them, and put it out.  The babies were adorable.  Now we have the occasional ‘possum, but mostly just birds and squirrels.

Allen and I were just discussing this at breakfast. We moved in on them, and where would they be able to go?

So as long as they behave (stop digging, knocking over fountains and feeders) we can all get along. 

(BTW, you are still in our prayers)

• Like 7

Today is Paper Carrier Day?  I will be sure to thank my daughter and son for their past service, though since I was their "supervisor" I should get some thanks from them as well.  I was up at 5 am 7 days a week to help them get up and out the door with their rolled and bagged newspapers.  😉

I love the quote today.  I also loved Kazu's wine tour suggestion.  I have a lot of rooms so may be a bit tipsy after my tour.🥴

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all of you up north.  With all the restrictions you may have to celebrate a "cozy" Thanksgiving instead of having all the relatives and friends celebrating together.  I also enjoy the turkey dinners on the cruises I've been on, for both Canadian and American Thanksgivings.  I just wish the pumpkin pie tasted as good as homemade!

• Like 11

Good morning all and thanks to Rich for doing double duty today.  Our DD had a paper route and more often then not DH and I got involved. I certainly appreciate that our paper is on our doorstep each morning around 4.  It could be we have turkey chilli later in the week but not made in the slow cooker.  I think I will take a pass on the drink, I am not that adventurous.  Have a great day everyone, we are getting teased today - over 80 degrees and then around 60 tomorrow.  

• Like 8

Thank you Rich and all contributors to the thread. This morning's edition made me smile, then laugh out loud. As always the food & drink suggestions throughout caught my eye and I will be roasting some brussels sprouts with balsamic to go with last night's 2nd half pork tenderloin.

Being married to a retired Foreign Service Officer, aka diplomat, I think the quote is hilarious! It never happened in this household and would be more than over the top in Central Virginia. However, I would certainly have appreciated it before I met him, especially when I was waiting for the #3 bus in Ottawa (Canada) winter in -40f/c temps! 

We will wait until Monday to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. The Maple Leaf flag will fly (take that, Homeowners Association!)  at the front of our home, and later, we will give thanks over roast leg of lamb (and wine). Even a small turkey is huuuuggge for these two oldsters. And Jacqui, what a hoot you are! Perhaps I should set up one of those wine tours before T'Day dinner, LOL!!

Best wishes to all. Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians. And Honorary Canadians. Please take care. And please, wear a mask 🙂

-Cat

• Like 10

Rich Thank for the Fleet report. To our Canadian posters and friends: HAPPY THANKSGIVING.  To all posters, Thanks for your contibuions and Roy, Whiiy Ford was one of the great ones.

Edited by Himself
  • Like 8

Thank you for the Daily Rich and for reposting the lists.  I should have included Thanksgiving in the shoutouts; my American bias tends to look at it as a Monday event.  I doubt the drummer will get many hugs this year but hopefully at least some virtual ones.  I substituted for a friend as a paper carrier one vacation and it's a tough job.  Also a virtual salute to Angel Food Cake.  Love the definition of a diplomat.  I'm not into Chili so my alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Cherry Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 10, 2017.

Welcome @Safety Squirrel

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning sisters Ann and Denise. Praying for our Denise's friend. Hoping she is still comfortable.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Deeni, hope you are enjoying your new kitchen.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.jpeg.cc98a426f6352c211d7ed791a19d6dd2.jpeg

8 AM here, having coffee outside and we’re watching a Navy Tanker which refuels ships out at sea go by!! Got our mail in ballots so will fill them out before our walk and drop off at Library.

🌺🌺🌺 Good morning Joy!!

October 18th on the calendar 🗓!!! A celebration 🍾 at HAPPY HOUR FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY 🎁🎂🥂🥂🍾 wish we could all be with you on this special day❤️

My friend is doing good!! She is on a couple of medications right now and she is in good spirits!! This medication is new and hopefully will help her. Her discomfort is mild and she wants to eat. So fingers crossed for her. 
🌺🌺🌺 Good morning Ann!!!

So happy my kitchen is finished. I love my gas range now. Had electric before with a ceramic top.Now it is remembering where I had placed all my stuff!!🙄

🌺🌺🌺Hi Rich and Roy! Thanks for our wonderful Daily! Today I so looked forward 

to my coffee and sitting down to what I feel is our family news paper👍 PS I was a paper girl on my Red Bicycle in our neighborhood and David was a paper boy in San Diego! So will celebrate tonight that LOL😊

❤️

Care List  so IMPORTANT !! 
Celebrations a must !! Thanks Roy👍

❤️

To our National whatever days we need!

To the quotes absolutely!! (I learn from them)

The wine for the day! Absolutely!!!

The meal for the day!(Which is fun)

Thanks Rich👍
🌺 To our COCKTAIL 🍹 OF THE DAY!

Thanks summer slope!

🌺 TO MY SISTER (Ann)! For giving us the description of the wines!

🌺 To Jacqui who always is there to help out like today for Roy👍 

Have a good weekend all!

Thanks to all who contribute with pictures and your writings!

Denise😊

• Like 7

I don't have a sunrise photo for October 10 so I'm deviating just a bit and posting sunset from October 9.  This is from Blouny's Grande Mariner in the St. Lawrence in 2011.

sunset9.jpg

Also, for @VMax1700, is Mrs. Vmax still scheduled for surgery on the 16th?

Roy

• Like 12