Trying to decide by tomorrow - beverage package thoughts

JSSpence

Hi all, we are currently booked for an Alaska (one way southbound) cruise for June 2021. Obviously many things up in the air but we’re trying to plan cruise-wise as if it will happen. Current offer through tomorrow has Deluxe Beverage for $43 per day and Deluxe Beverage + 1 surf and stream for $51 per day. We definitely need the refreshment package and a surf & stream for my husband, and I was on the fence for a refreshment and a surf add-on. We both enjoy a couple of drinks with dinner, and I could easily see us ordering a couple without a package, so this current pricing/packaging is tempting me. Is $43 for one and $51 (for the voom add-on) a good deal? 

2 minutes ago, JSSpence said:

Hi all, we are currently booked for an Alaska (one way southbound) cruise for June 2021. Obviously many things up in the air but we’re trying to plan cruise-wise as if it will happen. Current offer through tomorrow has Deluxe Beverage for $43 per day and Deluxe Beverage + 1 surf and stream for $51 per day. We definitely need the refreshment package and a surf & stream for my husband, and I was on the fence for a refreshment and a surf add-on. We both enjoy a couple of drinks with dinner, and I could easily see us ordering a couple without a package, so this current pricing/packaging is tempting me. Is $43 for one and $51 (for the voom add-on) a good deal? 

At $43 a day, to break even you would have to drink about 4 drinks per day or a combo of Fresh OJ, Bottled Water, Soda Specialty Coffee/Tea and Alcoholic Drinks.. 

If you are only going to drink a couple drinks in the evening and only have tap water, iced tea coffee, milk and lemonade,,, I wouldn't get the package
Side Note: The Drink of the day is normally less money, if you are paying as you go 

You can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom (750 ML) and a 12 pack or soda or water (17 oz or less) 

• Like 1

Thanks - my husband will make his way through a lot of sparkling water and our understanding is that he’ll need the refreshment package for that. So I’m looking at that as $20 a day already gone - unless two or three sparkling waters/club sodas per day would be less than the package?

I want to book that cruise just for that inexpensive drink package. With that said nobody knows what the cost of the individual beverages and cocktails will be once cruising resumes. I would expect to pay higher prices for individual drinks than in the past. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSSpence said:

The lowest I've seen  in the last couple of years for the Deluxe Beverage Package is $39 and I've seen close to $70 so I think $43 is pretty good. If I am on the fence for a beverage package or anything else in cruise planner, I tend to book it knowing I can cancel for a full refund up to 3 days before the cruise.  I understand that not everyone can or wants to tie up the money, but it keeps your options open.  YMMV

Tom

3 hours ago, JSSpence said:

Thanks - my husband will make his way through a lot of sparkling water and our understanding is that he’ll need the refreshment package for that. So I’m looking at that as $20 a day already gone - unless two or three sparkling waters/club sodas per day would be less than the package?

I am not sure of the prices on the individual sparkling waters...
But my guess would be with 3 and 2 or 3 mocktails... It is worth it for him to get the Refreshment Package. If you want the Deluxe Package, you would need to call RC to purchase it.  At those prices tho, I would get it. You can always cancel it if you change your mind or a lower price shows up... But that is a great price! 

My husband and I are not big drinkers, We normally get the Refreshment Package. Our last cruise, we had the deluxe package, which we did enjoy, but had we paid more for it. It wouldn't have been worth it. 

Compared to what I have seen the drink and internet packages for I think it's a good deal. If you find a lower price you can always cancel and reschedule. Check out Black Friday sales if they have them this year.

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Compared to what I have seen the drink and internet packages for I think it's a good deal. If you find a lower price you can always cancel and reschedule. Check out Black Friday sales if they have them this year.

Personally the drink package is something that we would never get our $$'s worth.

But completely agree with booking at what the OP thinks is a good deal and checking out the week leading up to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Easy to cancel and rebook.

My thoughts are you need to stay hydrated. Not only does the Deluxe Drink Package include alcohol, it includes bottled water and many other drinks as well. 2 $12 drinks with tip is almost $30. I don't know what they charge for bottled water, but in other captive audience places it is about $4-$5. Assuming that is the price, 2 drinks and 2 bottled waters per day is $43. I can have that done before breakfast time is over. The other part of it is that I hate having to concern myself with money while on vacation. If everything is paid for upfront, I only have to worry about souvenirs.

As others have said, I doubt it will go lower. However, the benefit is if it does you can cancel and rebook it at the lower price.

I definitely think it’s worth it at that price. My husband and I really enjoyed having that freedom on our anniversary cruise but opted not to get it on our cruise a couple of months later since we’d have our kids and didn’t think we’d get the use out of it. We ended up getting the one below it because I at least needed something to cover coffee however we both agreed by like the second day in that we should have just gotten the deluxe. In the end the price difference was that of about two drinks a day which definitely would have still been worth it for us. 

Keep in mind that Voom in Alaska is nothing like it is in the Caribbean.  It's often slow due to the latitude.   Keep expectations low.  

I tend not to get a beverage package in Alaska because I like to be up early (and late) taking in the sights and sounds of Alaska.  Up at 4:30am or 5am to take in an Alaskan sunrise and staying out late for a sunset while watching for wildlife.  I find drinking can interfere with that, motivating me to sleep in. 

Regarding the drinks package --how many drinks would you and your husband (combined) normally drink on

1. A sea day

2. A port day.

On a port day, (for most people), when you have to rush for a shore excursion early morning, soon after breakfast and come back late evening (after shopping) it is very difficult to consume more than two or three drinks per person.

How much is the key? What loyalty level are you. The key includes priority and zoom.

I'm diamond and not a big drinker. I'm happy with water or free flavored water. I'd rather do the pay dinners and some wine I get for being diamond. 

Hard to know for someone else. My Galveston group says deluxe berages are $18 a day pp ... on mine $30 pp. His is only a 4 day so for 18 a day for water and speciality coffee it's good.

I do like my cocktails when I'm on a cruise, heck it's my vacation. I have always gotten my money's worth out of it. The other thing I like is that there is no worry in the deluxe drink package. It's paid for, no bill at the end, I can drink just about anything I want including water, sodas and coffee drinks and not have to worry how much something cost. No brainer for me but that's me.

Edited by Sea Dog

On Carnival, I have seen some folks with the unlimited alcoholic drinks package remain on ship at every port and enjoy cocktails by the poolside.

They have a lot of drinks throughout the day and make sure that they exploit the package to the fullest extent.

18 hours ago, JSSpence said:

Remember, you can each carry a 12 pack of sparkling water on board also.

I like the flavored ones, and always bring some onboard.

Edited by crzndeb

55 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Remember, you can each carry a 12 pack of sparkling water on board also.

I like the flavored ones, and always bring some onboard.

The 'rule' is one 12 pack per stateroom, not per person.  We all know some people will smuggle more if they can or board separately.  

• Like 1

DH and I purchased it for the first time last Dec for about $44 USD.  I came out even on some days and other days I didn't drink enough for the cost.  However, what I really liked was being able to order what I wanted without worrying about "will I like this drink?" or "don't think I can finish it".  It let me try new wines and fun drinks I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  To me, that is part of the "worth" of the package.  Also really enjoyed the fancy coffees, and with a little Baley's, even better.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, rockmom said:

The 'rule' is one 12 pack per stateroom, not per person.  We all know some people will smuggle more if they can or board separately.  

Got it.....I travel solo, so I just have to worry about myself. LOL 

But I do know that I get to take on 2 bottles of wine for myself 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Got it.....I travel solo, so I just have to worry about myself. LOL 

But I do know that I get to take on 2 bottles of wine for myself 😉

I have visions of you with a 12 pack of sparkling water under one arm and 2 bottles of wine in the other. 😂🍷

53 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

DH and I purchased it for the first time last Dec for about $44 USD.  I came out even on some days and other days I didn't drink enough for the cost.  However, what I really liked was being able to order what I wanted without worrying about "will I like this drink?" or "don't think I can finish it".  It let me try new wines and fun drinks I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  To me, that is part of the "worth" of the package.  Also really enjoyed the fancy coffees, and with a little Baley's, even better.

Yes to all of this.  My daughter and I really enjoyed being able to try new things without racking up a big bar tab.  We didn't get too crazy, but felt like we got good value from the package. We had also paid $44 for ours on Allure last year.  With one of our ports being Labadee, it made it all the more worthwhile.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigrednole said:

My thoughts are you need to stay hydrated. Not only does the Deluxe Drink Package include alcohol, it includes bottled water and many other drinks as well. 2 $12 drinks with tip is almost $30. I don't know what they charge for bottled water, but in other captive audience places it is about $4-$5. Assuming that is the price, 2 drinks and 2 bottled waters per day is $43. I can have that done before breakfast time is over. The other part of it is that I hate having to concern myself with money while on vacation. If everything is paid for upfront, I only have to worry about souvenirs.

As others have said, I doubt it will go lower. However, the benefit is if it does you can cancel and rebook it at the lower price.

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Regarding the drinks package --how many drinks would you and your husband (combined) normally drink on

1. A sea day

2. A port day.

On a port day, (for most people), when you have to rush for a shore excursion early morning, soon after breakfast and come back late evening (after shopping) it is very difficult to consume more than two or three drinks per person.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

All very good points!

Its $49 pp for 12/12 Symphony Eastern for me... Comes out to $809.48 with gratuity. Wife barely drinks so that's a big yikes for me. I tried my last time to get my money's worth to cover the cost of us two and yea..... that was an ugly scene every morning so really not worth it to us. I think I'll have better piece of mind just knowing I can spend that much for alcohol which is a lot of booze. $15 per drink with gratuity, that's about 50+ drinks for 7 days for me lol. I'm hoping it dips to that $39 price point because we do drink a lot of bottled water and coffee but at $809 that's more than the price of our balcony room for 1 so I'll be waiting for the Black Friday deals if they happen. 

3 night specialty package for $99 gives 20-40% discount off bottles of wine so that could bring some value, plus with the two bottles onboard that may be all you need. 

Does anyone have recent drink menus available they can post by any chance to add some insight?