Mask Policy - Sunbathing

zjc

On 10/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Pffft. if you think you are planning a cruise and not having masks being removed, lifted, shifted, and/or otherwise out of place. Bles their hearts, they'll try to enforce, or at least make a show at trying but ...wake up... you're in a dream. 

I am very much aware that people will try to flaunt the rules.

But again, it is Royal Caribbean's bottom dollar. People don't usually sue if they don't get a chair or there are kids running around the solarium.

But people do sue if they don't enforce safety precautions and someone gets hurt or sick. They do a pretty decent job enforcing the safety rules on their other things like slides, ifly, zip lines, etc. Do the occasional ones get through? Of course. But they are much more stringent in enforcing anything that might hurt the bottom line.  

And if they don't enforce masks and suffer an outbreak, that will definitely hurt the bottom line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

You are wrong, the CDC never provided that advice, and it is dangerous and irresponsible to make statements like that. Be better.

Well, to be fair to Missusdubbya, I get some things wrong but probably wouldn't have tweeted this. Seriously I don't work at CDC, so how do I do better?? The news said NOT to but yes, I wore one anyways!!  They didn't expect them to work out because we would get unlucky with lots of viruses going from the mask to our fingers!

On 10/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, Beeline Cruiser said:

It really is not because in February CDC said MASK ARE DANGEROUS! No thank you - next they'll say no sunscrean because it makes the virus stick!! I'm one of those people that can't help but feel that we have to be careful in the sun. Because I can't just turn a blind eye to other health risks. Sounds like Loyal to Royal gets taken too far!!

5 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Well, to be fair to Missusdubbya, I get some things wrong but probably wouldn't have tweeted this. Seriously I don't work at CDC, so how do I do better?? The news said NOT to but yes, I wore one anyways!!  They didn't expect them to work out because we would get unlucky with lots of viruses going from the mask to our fingers!

This tweet in no way says masks are dangerous. Stop perpetuating mis-truths. Be better.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Missusdubbya said:

This tweet in no way says masks are dangerous. Stop perpetuating mis-truths. Be better.

I am already BEYOND this! I promised to look up the details and already said IT WAS THE NEWS!! And congrats to me for not listening to the CDC when they had this all WRONG!!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

52 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I am already BEYOND this! I promised to look up the details and already said IT WAS THE NEWS!! And congrats to me for not listening to the CDC when they had this all WRONG!!

Point of clarity, your Beyond: That neither the CDC nor the News said masks are dangerous?  Your Beyond: Worrying the CDC will say the virus will stick to sunscreen?   Your Beyond: Arguing about this?

FYI, the tweet said masks are not recommended, it didn't say don't wear one.  You didn't "not listen" you went beyond the recommendations. The tweet also said "Stay Home if your sick, and Wash your hands with soap and water".  So they were not "all WRONG".  They were at worst 2 for 3 that is .667, that is hall of fame numbers.

2 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Point of clarity, your Beyond: That neither the CDC nor the News said masks are dangerous?  Your Beyond: Worrying the CDC will say the virus will stick to sunscreen?   Your Beyond: Arguing about this?

FYI, the tweet said masks are not recommended, it didn't say don't wear one.  You didn't "not listen" you went beyond the recommendations. The tweet also said "Stay Home if your sick, and Wash your hands with soap and water".  So they were not "all WRONG".  They were at worst 2 for 3 that is .667, that is hall of fame numbers.

Nope, many local news said masks are dangerous and I have no doubt that the CDC confusion didn't help. it just stinks all around. I'm feeling better about things at this point . . just not sunbathing with mask at the pool. And honestly, I'm concerned about the current management at Royal. I'm a long time fan but I need to start seeing some different decisions than taking 9 months make bad policy at the pool!! Seriously that is why I am considering other lines.

18 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Nope, many local news said masks are dangerous and I have no doubt that the CDC confusion didn't help. it just stinks all around. I'm feeling better about things at this point . . just not sunbathing with mask at the pool. And honestly, I'm concerned about the current management at Royal. I'm a long time fan but I need to start seeing some different decisions than taking 9 months make bad policy at the pool!! Seriously that is why I am considering other lines.

I'm glad your feeling better, everyone deserves peace of mind.  I think you should try other lines, why not?  I booked on Celebrity for my next cruise.  I live in Atlanta (you know what is headquartered here) our local news has lots of strange content, and they don't always understand math, but they never said masks were "dangerous".  You should consider getting news from a different source, your local news sounds woefully uninformed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Your CDC reference is dated February 27, 2020. That is when we were just learning about the virus. The CDC changed their stance on masks shortly after that as more knowledge was gained.

To repeat what many others are saying, if wearing masks while sunbathing is required by the CDC for cruise lines to sail, all cruise lines will have to adopt and enforce this policy. Whether you like it or not, that will be the rule for ALL cruise lines and they will be required to enforce it or be shut down. No cruise line will want to risk an outbreak on one of their ships. All your arguing and complaining will not change things. I'm sure most people prefer not to have these guidelines, but are mature enough to realize that they are currently necessary in order to resume cruising. You will need to make a choice to cruise and follow the rules or not cruise. It is up to you. You are not being forced to cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I thought you were considering other lines because you didn't like Vision of the Seas?🤔

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If Royal is going to be insisting that guests wear masks by the pool you can bet every other cruise line will have the same policy.

My thoughts are the CDC, whenever they allow cruises to resume from US ports, is going to mandate when masks must be worn, which will obviously apply to all cruise lines. We (my wife and I) have been to Disney multiple times since it reopened and wearing a mask at the parks has not been a big deal us. We both aren’t concerned about having to wear a mask on a ship. Living in Florida we rarely spend time lounging in the sun on a cruise since that is something we can do every day at home at the pool or at the beach. However, I can see any mask requirements being a bigger deal for people up North trying to enjoy warmer weather in the Winter and for people who don’t like wearing masks period. 

It really comes down to this:  If you are ok with paying money to follow all the protocols then have fun on your cruise and please go often so they don't go out of business.  If you are not ok with paying money to follow all the protocols find an alternative vacation and have fun there.  I am in the later category.  The Black Hills of South Dakota come to mind next year once it warms up.  Maybe a Caribbean resort depending on their protocols.  

• Like 1

Masks while sunbathing on a cruise should work out well for me.

I am so tired of having my tan lines covered up so that family and friends can't see I went on a cruise.  With tan lines on my face it will be immediately obvious I was on a cruise.  While walking my dog, golfing or riding a bike around my hometown doesn't require a mask, everything outdoors on a cruise will require a mask. 

I think it's a great tool to make it obvious to people you weren't just golfing with your buddies, you've done something unique in these crazy times.  It's actually brilliant marketing by the cruise lines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Masks while sunbathing on a cruise should work out well for me.

I am so tired of having my tan lines covered up so that family and friends can't see I went on a cruise.  With tan lines on my face it will be immediately obvious I was on a cruise.  While walking my dog, golfing or riding a bike around my hometown doesn't require a mask, everything outdoors on a cruise will require a mask. 

I think it's a great tool to make it obvious to people you weren't just golfing with your buddies, you've done something unique in these crazy times.  It's actually brilliant marketing by the cruise lines.

Funny!  And easier than what I did a few years ago.  I had a huge stingray hickey on my forearm when I went back to work after a cruise.  It was definitely unique. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

With tan lines on my face it will be immediately obvious I was on a cruise.

Maybe Royal should go thru with their SeaFace mask. Have a clear section in the shape of the RCG logo to allow the sun to penetrate and Presto!, you'll have the RCG logo tanned to your face. 

How about that for creative advertising!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It is very plain that there are some wide differences in peoples opinions regarding masks.

Here's a question for the pro mask crowd.  Would you wear it on a cruise if the cruise lines  / CDC did not mandate it?

In elevators, hallways and other indoor places where social distancing is not possible, yes.  On the pool deck in my lounger, no.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It is very plain that there are some wide differences in peoples opinions regarding masks.

Here's a question for the pro mask crowd.  Would you wear it on a cruise if the cruise lines  / CDC did not mandate it?

I would. I work retail in a very high volume location. I’m not going to be the person that passed the virus around the cruise ship. I wear my mask for others, not for myself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In elevators, hallways and other indoor places where social distancing is not possible, yes.  On the pool deck in my lounger, no.

Exactly what we plan to do.

Edited to add:

It isn’t enough to count on what the cruise lines are doing to keep us safe, we still have to do our part.  In addition to the masks, we are booking rooms in the center of the ship to make it easier to use the stairs instead of elevators, we are taking wipes to use when we arrive at the cabin initially and after the steward has been there daily, tiny bottles of hand sanitizer to use after touching menus/phones/chairs and before eating, taking individual salt and pepper packets.  We will continue to back away from people who get too close.  In other words, all of the things that we do at home will still need to be done on a ship.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 2