CDC just lifted US cruise ban effective Nov 1 - Great news

DaveOKC

Lots and lots and lots of strings tied to this "restart" including monitoring and reporting of crew health for a period prior to restart, enhanced medical facilities on ships, a certain period of "test cruises", oversight to ensure limited number of ships in any given port at a time, and cruises of not longer than 7 days for, I think, a year from now. 

As well as very carefully worded warnings that re-starting cruising is a phased approach and that the phase can be changed at any time given current pandemic conditions.

Read the details of how the initial cruises once approved are to be conducted.

After taking more than 60 cruises with three reservations for late ‘21 and beyond, I must say there is NOTHING in this ruling that gives me even the slightest interest in cruising under these terms.

In my case, I posted Great News since I have a late March cruise booked at a great fare, and this news gives me more hope that it will actually sail.  I can always cancel if I change my mind (for once I bought Cancel For Any Reason insurance).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

"…the CDC will first want operators to conduct simulated (mock) voyages with volunteers playing the role of passengers to test the line's ability to mitigate COVID-19 risk."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5687/

Where do I sign up???  😁

As long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions that put you at greater risk of COVID infection:

2) All volunteer passengers must be at least eighteen years old or older. The cruise ship operator must also obtain from all volunteer passengers a written certification from a healthcare provider that the volunteer passenger has no pre-existing medical conditions that would place that individual at high risk for COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance. CDC may issue additional requirements through technical instructions or orders relating to a cruise ship operator’s obligation to screen for volunteer passengers who may be at high risk for COVID-19.

• Like 3

It does look like they got some competent people to work on the report:

"While the No-Sail Order was in effect, cruise lines endeavored to find new ways to keep passengers healthy onboard and create protocols in case of outbreaks. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings teamed with Royal Caribbean Group to create an industry-wide Healthy Sail Panel, chaired by former Utah Governor and former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt, and Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The panel concluded a safe return to cruise was possible, delivering a 65-plus-page report to the CDC outlining a total of 74 action points that lines would undertake to safely resume cruising."

Baby steps, people, baby steps.  First they have to lift the cruise ban, then let things fall into place gradually.  I'm sure none of us want to jeopardize our lives, or the lives of those we love by cruising before it's safe.  We'll see how things play out in the coming months.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂 🙂🙂

• Like 5

Just because the CDC lifted the ruling does not mean other countries and ports will welcome us with open arms. 

Will this possibly mean cruises to nowhere bypassing the Jones Act? Maybe, but no way will I waste my vacation days on a cruise to nowhere. 

Edited by Georgie562

15 minutes ago, Nghthawke said:

It does look like they got some competent people to work on the report:

"While the No-Sail Order was in effect, cruise lines endeavored to find new ways to keep passengers healthy onboard and create protocols in case of outbreaks. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings teamed with Royal Caribbean Group to create an industry-wide Healthy Sail Panel, chaired by former Utah Governor and former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt, and Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The panel concluded a safe return to cruise was possible, delivering a 65-plus-page report to the CDC outlining a total of 74 action points that lines would undertake to safely resume cruising."

That's the same report that has been talked about for months here -- the "Healthy Sail" panel sponsored by NCL and RCCL.