HAL Cancels ALL cruises through March 31, 2021

boze9999

7 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

There is nothing in writing addressing b2b cruises.  That said reps both at Princess and HAL have confirmed to me that they will eventually be searching their databases for b2b bookings and proactively reaching out to travel agents/clients to determine which they want to keep and which they want to cancel.  The current interpretation of the CDC guidelines to restart cruising is that no one passenger may remain on a vessel for longer than 7 days on any sailing, or consecutive sailings, departing before 11/1/21.  This is ONLY for cruises to/from US ports at this time.

Could you possibly do a 7-day cruise on one ship and then change to another ship on turnaround day OR do a 7-day cruise, spend one night in Fort Lauderdale, and then do another 7-day cruise and even do it again spending a night in FLL between each?  We definitely are not inclined to fly to Fort Lauderdale just for a 7-day cruise but would consider alternatives.

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

Could you possibly do a 7-day cruise on one ship and then change to another ship on turnaround day OR do a 7-day cruise, spend one night in Fort Lauderdale, and then do another 7-day cruise and even do it again spending a night in FLL between each?  We definitely are not inclined to fly to Fort Lauderdale just for a 7-day cruise but would consider alternatives.

I think that would be permissible, but, the cruise lines are being SUPER cautious right now so as to not piss of the CDC who has a stranglehold on their ability to operate or not.  If they step too far in one direction, or don't hop on one foot vociferously enough whilst doing the Hokey-Pokey the CDC will shut them down again!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We have 8 Back to Backs starting in Aug,1 2021 in Amsterdam  back to the U.S. Nov, 24 

As long as the last leg departs from it's "origin" point after 11/1 and arrives in the US after 11/1 you should be okay - for now.

I still anticipate MAJOR changes to European itineraries in the next few months and that US travelers may not be permitted on any cruise ships in Europe, even if a vaccine becomes available.  It most likely will still be restricted to EU/UK residents based on port of departure. 

I'll be surprised if HAL operates even 2 ships in Europe on anything longer than 7 day cruises for 2021.

I also do not think there will be an Alaska or Canada/NE season for 2021.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I still anticipate MAJOR changes to European itineraries in the next few months and that US travelers may not be permitted on any cruise ships in Europe, even if a vaccine becomes available.  It most likely will still be restricted to EU/UK residents based on port of departure

FWIW, I fear you are on the target!  My thoughts are that there are sufficient European companies and Europe bases ships,  to cater for the European market for 2021.  HAL will take delivery of Rotterdam VII mid season and will need to get her back to USA for Caribbean 2021/2022 season.  Probably she will only be sold for Euro residents and her arrival in Port Everglades has been delayed to circumvent the CDC guidelines.  Will they have another ship deployed?  Unlikely as Westerdam and Nieuw Statendam who are scheduled to sail in Europe in 2021 have been mentioned for return to US ports to prepare for cruising.  Volendam? May be delayed by two days to leave after 1st November.

Not promising, is it?

(for this exercise I have included UK as being part of Europe, even though......!)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

As long as the last leg departs from it's "origin" point after 11/1 and arrives in the US after 11/1 you should be okay - for now.

I still anticipate MAJOR changes to European itineraries in the next few months and that US travelers may not be permitted on any cruise ships in Europe, even if a vaccine becomes available.  It most likely will still be restricted to EU/UK residents based on port of departure. 

I'll be surprised if HAL operates even 2 ships in Europe on anything longer than 7 day cruises for 2021.

I think that is exactly what caused the change to VOV.  HAL,  likely, was not able to get commitments from tours, towns and ports 

From April 26, QM2 is still sailing from NY to Southampton - so far!  That's just a 7-day crossing, of course, who knows what Cunard will do in the future.  But if one can still get to England, presumably a cruise in European waters might still be doable...

9 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

From April 26, QM2 is still sailing from NY to Southampton - so far!  That's just a 7-day crossing, of course, who knows what Cunard will do in the future.  But if one can still get to England, presumably a cruise in European waters might still be doable...

If England is still part of Europe! 😉

47 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

FWIW, I fear you are on the target!  My thoughts are that there are sufficient European companies and Europe bases ships,  to cater for the European market for 2021.  HAL will take delivery of Rotterdam VII mid season and will need to get her back to USA for Caribbean 2021/2022 season.  Probably she will only be sold for Euro residents and her arrival in Port Everglades has been delayed to circumvent the CDC guidelines.  Will they have another ship deployed?  Unlikely as Westerdam and Nieuw Statendam who are scheduled to sail in Europe in 2021 have been mentioned for return to US ports to prepare for cruising.  Volendam? May be delayed by two days to leave after 1st November.

Not promising, is it?

(for this exercise I have included UK as being part of Europe, even though......!)

Volendam leaves on November 10th well after the November 1st deadline.

I guess I have a different attitude. Maybe I’m an optimistic but depending on how things go in North America and the dispensation of the vaccine (and how things are in Europe of course), I do see European cruises as a possibility.  

I suspect everyone will need to carry proof of their vaccine.

But, like everyone else my crystal ball is pretty fuzzy.  There’s a fair bit of time to go so a lot will depend on people’s behaviour, safety protocols and flattening the curve. And a very reliable, well distributed vaccine.

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Volendam leaves on November 10th well after the November 1st deadline.

I guess I have a different attitude. Maybe I’m an optimistic but depending on how things go in North America and the dispensation of the vaccine (and how things are in Europe of course), I do see European cruises as a possibility.  

I suspect everyone will need to carry proof of their vaccine.

But, like everyone else my crystal ball is pretty fuzzy.  There’s a fair bit of time to go so a lot will depend on people’s behaviour, safety protocols and flattening the curve. And a very reliable, well distributed vaccine.

As you know we are on the back to back on the Volendam cruise.  I’m thankful we don’t have final payment until July.  By then everyone will hopefully have a handle on if the ships are sailing and  if the vaccine is available for all. 

We are also on the Tahiti cruise in 2022.  I do hope we can do both cruises.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I hope you are wrong

• Like 2

What frustrates me about this announcement is all of the shuffling that was done this month on the Zaandam New England itineraries.  We had an August 7 day Boston round trip that they changed to Boston to Montreal.  At the moment I can’t book the return trip.  With the cancellation of the GA itinerary it makes all of those changes unnecessary.  

3 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

What frustrates me about this announcement is all of the shuffling that was done this month on the Zaandam New England itineraries.  We had an August 7 day Boston round trip that they changed to Boston to Montreal.  At the moment I can’t book the return trip.  With the cancellation of the GA itinerary it makes all of those changes unnecessary.  

I agree.  HAL needs to make some solid, rational decisions and quit flitting around putting out fires.   

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I agree.  HAL needs to make some solid, rational decisions and quit flitting around putting out fires.   

It's not just HAL - It's pretty much ALL the major cruise lines!

I expect the changes to become more widespread, more frequent , and closer in over the next 8-12 months as they try to get something, anything, operating somewhere to start bringing in revenue.  We are only in the beginning of things at the moment as far as changes and cancellations go.  We are far from the end sadly!

I don;t even really trust anything published as far out as end of Q1 2022 at this point.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

This MAY and HOPEFULLY will change - but for now I've been told CDC is NOT going to allow guests to do back to backs from US ports (even on different ships of the same cruise line from the same US port) - strengthening their stand of 7 day or less cruises -not just the cruise line but the guest! WAY too much control IMO. 

11 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It's not just HAL - It's pretty much ALL the major cruise lines!

I expect the changes to become more widespread, more frequent , and closer in over the next 8-12 months as they try to get something, anything, operating somewhere to start bringing in revenue.  We are only in the beginning of things at the moment as far as changes and cancellations go.  We are far from the end sadly!

I don;t even really trust anything published as far out as end of Q1 2022 at this point.

I think the suspension of sales was sufficient as a stop gap method.  They should have let that play out.  I understand cancelling first quarter but the remainder of the year is a bit troublesome.  This is beyond the timeframe they predicted solvency. 

I guess the handful of 7 day cruises will sustain them 

Edited by Mary229

6 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I think that would be permissible, but, the cruise lines are being SUPER cautious right now so as to not piss of the CDC who has a stranglehold on their ability to operate or not.  If they step too far in one direction, or don't hop on one foot vociferously enough whilst doing the Hokey-Pokey the CDC will shut them down again!

That’s what it’s all about!

• Like 1

I think the rational decision may be to leave the US for a while.  I thought it was a bit of lunacy to suggest to move embarkation port to the Caribbean and Mexico but that is looking like a solid strategy right now.  I don't know, maybe Canada would be less fickle than what is going on in the US with the CDC.  

It is becoming clear to me that the CDC wants to say you can't cruise until there is a vaccine but they know that they cannot legally create a strategy based on an unknown so they will continue to persist with obstacles.  That is a difficult environment to run a business.

Edited by Mary229

19 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I currently have this booked but in Alaska in May.  A 7 Day Vancouver round trip, a day between and then a 7 day Seattle round trip.  It was the best plan I could come up with after the 14 day Maasdam was eliminated.

2 hours ago, wesport said:

Has anyone else not received notification. I have a January Caribbean I booked direct, and no notice yet. I received an email for my February cruise which I already filled out. 

I haven't seen anything yet on my 10 day mid February cruise. Did send a cancellation question to my PCC and she replied, but no official notification.

15 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

So far no negative news on my 7 day BtoB BOS to Bos 7/3/21 on Zaandam. Same cabin same vessel. VoV was supposed to leave on 10th but they have added more 7 day cruises to Montreal. Here's hoping....