AstraZeneca Report Success with Vaccine

A&L_Ont

Depending on the technique injected they had two different success rates.

“The trial looked at two different dosing regimens. A half dose of the vaccine followed by a full dose at least one month apart was 90 per cent effective. A second regimen using two full doses one month apart was 62 per cent effective. The combined results showed an average efficacy rate of 70 per cent”.

Read it here.

https://www.cbc.ca/1.5812268?fbclid=IwAR2ud6Cm5Rk6eDOZERj4JTLTa6HlnEvR2erFZ8m0j5o1twJnDlNLm3CBh6w

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Still good news for the cruising community and the entire world.

Yes it is.  It now appears that there are three vaccines with effective result rates. With more there can be a faster roll out, and quicker availability to all. 

I read it too quickly before my OP. Success rates varies by technique administered. I changed my OP to further explain. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

And it's vastly cheaper and easier to store than the other drugs. Even those who got covid after having this vaccine did not have to be hospitalised.

Hopefully this can be rolled out worldwide to make travelling the world safer 

Edited by sgmn

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

“The trial looked at two different dosing regimens. A half dose of the vaccine followed by a full dose at least one month apart was 90 per cent effective. A second regimen using two full doses one month apart was 62 per cent effective. The combined results showed an average efficacy rate of 70 per cent”.

Read it here.

https://www.cbc.ca/1.5812268?fbclid=IwAR2ud6Cm5Rk6eDOZERj4JTLTa6HlnEvR2erFZ8m0j5o1twJnDlNLm3CBh6w

Surely those figures must be the wrong way round? How can it be less effective with dosage?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Surely those figures must be the wrong way round? How can it be less effective with dosage?

They have said themselves that they do not understand the discrepancy. Keep in mind that these are very early tests and done on a very small scale. They gave half the subjects a placebo, and the other half the vaccine. They take the number of placebo subjects who catch the virus and the number of vaccinated subjects who catch it to work out the effectiveness. For example, if 100 placebo subjects and 10 vaccinated subjects catch it, it's 90% effective. 

While this is promising, I wouldn't put too much faith in the numbers. There is a lot more work to be done.

• Like 1

Given that they can't explain the discrepancy, this vaccine candidate is probably a lot farther away from certifiable than either Pfizer or Moderna's. Regulating agencies need definable consistent results, and "we don't know" or "we're not sure" generally doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Given that they can't explain the discrepancy, this vaccine candidate is probably a lot farther away from certifiable than either Pfizer or Moderna's. Regulating agencies need definable consistent results, and "we don't know" or "we're not sure" generally doesn't cut it.

This could cause a lot of problems in the world. The CDC has no intention of approving it under any circumstances I don't think. But in UK it will probably be approved and distributed. Which again raises my question will vaccined persons be allowed into the U.S after vaccination with this if not approved by CDC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

This could cause a lot of problems in the world. The CDC has no intention of approving it under any circumstances I don't think. But in UK it will probably be approved and distributed. Which again raises my question will vaccined persons be allowed into the U.S after vaccination with this if not approved by CDC.

You have introduced a whole group of statements for which there is no or little evidence.

This could cause a lot of problems in the world - This would only be true if unknowns are then known.

The CDC has no intention of approving it under any circumstances I don't think - No evidence only your thoughts.

But in UK it will probably be approved and distributed - again your thoughts.

Which again raises my question will vaccined persons be allowed into the U.S after vaccination with this if not approved by CDC. - You are asking a question based on your thoughts coming true.

No-one knows the answers as the question at this time is not based on facts.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Exactly. 1.5 dose more effective than 2 doses? At the same interval?

Perhaps the half dose triggers the body to create more anti-bodies.  Until they do further research they won't know the answer.  Given current issues it may not matter.  If its not a safety issue and the dose provide a high degree of immunity it won't matter.  It will be consder safer than allowing the virus to continue its trail of death.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

You have introduced a whole group of statements for which there is no or little evidence.

This could cause a lot of problems in the world - This would only be true if unknowns are then known.

The CDC has no intention of approving it under any circumstances I don't think - No evidence only your thoughts.

But in UK it will probably be approved and distributed - again your thoughts.

Which again raises my question will vaccined persons be allowed into the U.S after vaccination with this if not approved by CDC. - You are asking a question based on your thoughts coming true.

No-one knows the answers as the question at this time is not based on facts.

The CDC stopped the trial for about 2 months. Statements have made which suggests that the U.S approval process is more tough than the UK it has been said so in the house or whatever by Nancy Pelosi that they are not going approve just because we do. It seems like it could be a facing an uphill battle for approval.

Edited by ace2542

22 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The CDC stopped the trial for about 2 months. Statements have made which suggests that the U.S approval process is more tough than the UK it has been said so in the house or whatever by Nancy Pelosi that they are not going approve just because we do. It seems like it could be a facing an uphill battle for approval.

Fair point. Personally my main concern is that we have a safe and effective solution.  If the US don't want to allow people in because they have had a different vaccine that they will allow then thats their decision.  There are plenty of other countries in the world who will want my holiday money.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Fair point. Personally my main concern is that we have a safe and effective solution.  If the US don't want to allow people in because they have had a different vaccine that they will allow then thats their decision.  There are plenty of other countries in the world who will want my holiday money.

To further your comment that I put in bold; the US is currently allowing people in who have had no vaccinations.  

IMO I think they will happy to allow anyone who has been vaccinated, over allowing entrance to someone who has not.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

And now a vaccine thread has turned into a pissing contest.  Only on CC

Only on CC???  

I come here because most of the "discussions" on news stations are pissing contests!

At least on Cruise Critic there are many non-abrasive posts. The humor thread brings our household smiles daily. Others often give us good tips and info.

• Like 1

And yet if the vaccine is required then the government is trying to dictate how I live my life.  They do not require a flu vaccine to take any kind of vacation and they do not know all the side effects these vaccines could cause.  So I take my 13 yo granddaughter to get her vaccine and then they find out it prevents having kids, or contributes to cancer or whatever the case may be.  And then will it be 100% effective for everybody.  No vaccine is 100% for all humans.  Now I am taking the chance of side effects and it still does not work for me.  Why does everyone think this will be the answer for everyone?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

And yet if the vaccine is required then the government is trying to dictate how I live my life.  They do not require a flu vaccine to take any kind of vacation and they do not know all the side effects these vaccines could cause.  So I take my 13 yo granddaughter to get her vaccine and then they find out it prevents having kids, or contributes to cancer or whatever the case may be.  And then will it be 100% effective for everybody.  No vaccine is 100% for all humans.  Now I am taking the chance of side effects and it still does not work for me.  Why does everyone think this will be the answer for everyone?

The cruise lines and airlines could require it as could other countries, so it doesn't matter how you feel about it if you want to travel.  The US Gov may not ever require it for US citizens, but they could for non-citizens/residents, just like other countries could require it for US citizens to travel there.

8 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

Only on CC???  

I come here because most of the "discussions" on news stations are pissing contests!

At least on Cruise Critic there are many non-abrasive posts. The humor thread brings our household smiles daily. Others often give us good tips and info.

Valid point

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

And now a vaccine thread has turned into a pissing contest.  Only on CC

Everyone here is entitled to an opinion.  No one has to agree with them, but they can state whatever they want.  

34 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

To further your comment that I put in bold; the US is currently allowing people in who have had no vaccinations.  

IMO I think they will happy to allow anyone who has been vaccinated, over allowing entrance to someone who has not.

It is also my thought.  I was responding to a specifc point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Read it here.

More good news 🙂