The Daily for Friday Dec 4, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Our family received wonderful and long awaited news this morning. Our niece had her first baby- a girl in this mornings early hours. My brothers first grandchild. So we are all very happy today!

Good news indeed 🙂. Congratulations !

• Like 3

Good morning.  This is still the first place I go to in the morning.

The quote could have been written about me.  More often than I want to admit to, I put something on to boil, get busy doing something else in the kitchen and don’t check on the pot until it is too late.  So I keep cooktop cleaner handy.

I could really go for grilled lamb chops, especially on a HAL ship.  However, tonight’s menu is leftover chili, garlic bread and wine.  I will go change into my brown shoes.

The news about Haines is indeed sad.  It’s such a pretty town along the harbor.  We’ve been there many times in our rv.

The cookies were baked yesterday and are spread all over the kitchen island and the dining table ready to be decorated.

In the far south western part of Arizona we had a freeze warning last night.  All we have in the yard are native trees and cactus, so no worries.  It is already warning and will get to the mid 60s today.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

I guess great minds think alike. 😉 

I got to the Post Office today to get my Christmas cards and special things shipped off just like @Seasick Sailor@StLouisCruisers & @gigianne

And, in the group of goodies was a special envelope with chili seeds, so @bennybearbe on the look out for your envelope. 

We’ll both find out next year if they were a success.  I sent you some from each batch.

• Like 9

Good morning, all! My Santa List is a vaccine, a cruise, and a big family gathering for Christmas next year! I have often tested today’s quote, and it holds true. Dinner will be leftover tourtiere from yesterday. It took all day to make, but was worth every moment of it!
@cunnorlcongratulations on your new great-niece! It’s so good to hear of a new life being welcomed into the world! @kazuthanks for the laughs, as usual! @summer slopemy father used to make the best Hot Buttered Rums. Thanks for the memory! @StLouisCruisersanother beautiful stocking! You really have talent.

Prayers for the people of Haines, and for those in the path of the new California wildfire.

Happy Friday, courtesy of the Amsterdam elevator.

63DD8132-78D6-427E-97C1-F0229223858A.jpeg

• Like 14

Good morning, all, it's hard to believe we are well into December.  It seems like just yesterday we got locked down in March!

Evidently the Canadian armed forces are going to have a dry run for vaccination procedures - my father would be so happy, he always wanted to do a dry run or "recce" for any unusual outing.  His favourite thing!  Maybe we will all get our Christmas wishes filled, at least early in the New Year.

After my driving physical (I passed with flying colours, except my blood pressure was high (diet in my future)), we assembled a microwave stand for DD in the basement.  It is a bit rickety, but she was pleased, and perhaps now will keep  more of her gadgets down there.  She is madly into cooking at the moment, and buys every little helper on the market.  

I thought this was funny, and oh, so true!

IMG_9178.thumb.JPG.ce27b0a43efc1f571b576f0b09093061.JPG

IMG_9172.thumb.JPG.9d3348f185de2c225bb93a1276256b62.JPG

• Like 15
  • Haha 9

Good morning all!  Another bright sunny day here (and oh so welcome).  

I agree with Roy, my Santa's List would be a (1) vaccine and (2) cruise.  But this year I'm going to follow our kids' lead and ask for donations to help the needy.  So many out of work and suffering, and DH and I really don't need anything (other than a cruise, LOL).

The only brown shoes I own are saved for cruises, I loved Hot Buttered Rum when I was younger, but now just give me wine (or eggnog this time of year).  😄 

We've gotten 2 Christmas cards already, I really need to start addressing ours.  But today we're going to get our tree after DH's physical this morning. Dinner will be leftovers, turkey from last night. 🙂  

Here's a Christmas counted cross-stitch picture I made (I love Santas).  I plan to start a new one this winter to help pass the time!  Stay safe everyone and wear your masks. 🙂   

x-stitch.jpg

• Like 20

Thank you Rich and thank you Roy and the many Dailyites for keeping this Post going day in day out . I am always happy to read the many stories and see the pictures as part of my " Morning Paper " .

Today I saw that people are getting in the mood of Santa Claus so I like to post a few things that takes me back to my roots in The Netherlands one of the countries where the REAL Santa is celebrated  on December 5th and 6th depending of in which country you lived : Saint Nicholas of Myra . 

When I was young we never received presents on Christmas Day  ( Feast of the Nativity ) that was only a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus .

But if we had been good all year we would have received our presents on the eve of Saint Nicholas Day  (Dec 5th )

I shall not give you with all of the details of Saint Nicholas  ( or Sinterklaas in Dutch )  but you can read about some of those in Wikipedia where the customs are well explained even the transformation from Saint Nicholas to Santa Claus .

Just wanted to tell you that in our youth our BIG day was December 5th ................. Coming up soon ! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 23

Forgot to mention yesterday that my son’s Covid test was negative so that was great news. 

I love to buy Advent Calendars for DGD and DGS, and have since they were old enough to eat chocolate. But I couldn’t resist buying one for myself this year:

5B36F1CD-4E7D-4079-ABE0-437C7558631F.thumb.jpeg.ef0402b43c88f7cab973f9cb5d10b9ec.jpeg

And one for Blue, the spoiled “baby puppy” as I call him:

D1F83B7C-AD0E-4815-9A9F-5BBE0F1A7AAC.thumb.jpeg.0dfa7d3911c5aab3a55dc5df8747b09c.jpeg

We all are enjoying our daily treats. 

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Thank you Rich and thank you Roy and the many Dailyites for keeping this Post going day in day out . I am always happy to read the many stories and see the pictures as part of my " Morning Paper " .

Today I saw that people are getting in the mood of Santa Claus so I like to post a few things that takes me back to my roots in The Netherlands one of the countries where the REAL Santa is celebrated  on December 5th and 6th depending of in which country you lived : Saint Nicholas of Myra . 

When I was young we never received presents on Christmas Day  ( Feast of the Nativity ) that was only a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus .

But if we had been good all year we would have received our presents on the eve of Saint Nicholas Day  (Dec 5th )

I shall not give you with all of the details of Saint Nicholas  ( or Sinterklaas in Dutch )  but you can read about some of those in Wikipedia where the customs are well explained even the transformation from Saint Nicholas to Santa Claus .

Just wanted to tell you that in our youth our BIG day was December 5th ................. Coming up soon ! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the memories! We had to leave a carrot (for Sinterklaas' white horse) in front of the fireplace/heater at night. "Pepernoten" (pepper nuts) On Dec 5th, our parents arranged with one of the neighbors to pounce on our door to let us know Sinterklaas had arrived. Great memories!

John 1965 #4.jpg

John 1965 #5.jpg

• Like 20

Not a good day in Maryland.  In the first wave the highest number of new cases we had in a single day was 1784.  The maximum for the second wave until today was 2910, but today we had 3792, more than double the first wave maximum.  My county had 144 new cases, the second highest number ever.

Roy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not a good day in Maryland.  In the first wave the highest number of new cases we had in a single day was 1784.  The maximum for the second wave until today was 2910, but today we had 3792, more than double the first wave maximum.  My county had 144 new cases, the second highest number ever.

Roy

Sorry Roy, but I can’t “like” your post.  So sad 😞 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

That is a scary number!   And still only 8 days since Thanksgiving 😷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!  Another bright sunny day here (and oh so welcome).  

I agree with Roy, my Santa's List would be a (1) vaccine and (2) cruise.  But this year I'm going to follow our kids' lead and ask for donations to help the needy.  So many out of work and suffering, and DH and I really don't need anything (other than a cruise, LOL).

The only brown shoes I own are saved for cruises, I loved Hot Buttered Rum when I was younger, but now just give me wine (or eggnog this time of year).  😄 

We've gotten 2 Christmas cards already, I really need to start addressing ours.  But today we're going to get our tree after DH's physical this morning. Dinner will be leftovers, turkey from last night. 🙂  

Here's a Christmas counted cross-stitch picture I made (I love Santas).  I plan to start a new one this winter to help pass the time!  Stay safe everyone and wear your masks. 🙂   

x-stitch.jpg

Love it!  So beautiful.  I love Santa too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for the memories! We had to leave a carrot (for Sinterklaas' white horse) in front of the fireplace/heater at night. "Pepernoten" (pepper nuts) On Dec 5th, our parents arranged with one of the neighbors to pounce on our door to let us know Sinterklaas had arrived. Great memories!

John 1965 #4.jpg

John 1965 #5.jpg

Love your pictures @Copper10-8 and Yes so many good memories . Yes wooden shoe with straw and a large carrot for  Sint's horse , and a drink for Sinterklaas and his helpers . 

Pictures look so 50 's , are these yours ?  Where is little Jan  (John ) 

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Love your pictures @Copper10-8 and Yes so many good memories . Yes wooden shoe with straw and a large carrot for  Sint's horse , and a drink for Sinterklaas and his helpers . 

Pictures look so 50 's , are these yours ?  Where is little Jan  (John ) 

Yes, I forgot about the straw for the horse and we were definitely impressed by the "roe" (not sure how you say that in English) of "Zwarte Piet." I'm the kid with the darker hair (no moustache) in the 1st pic. Those are my two nephews below me , My Opa and my brother-in-law above me and that pic (those pics) were taken in the Antillenstraat in Amsterdam in the mid-sixties

• Like 7

Happy December everyone!  Thank you for the updates.  DH's birthday comes in early December and he loves lentils and Bolognese is my favorite method.   The sis with cancer is having her staging tests today and meets with the oncologist Monday.  Her spirits are steady.  

I couldn't think of what to get DH for his Bday so I gave his cat a new electric blanket.  She is in love.....

650763867_JPEGimage-2C906801B640-1.thumb.jpeg.3bd64bc2de65912c9cc1879744c0bf0d.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Today I saw that people are getting in the mood of Santa Claus so I like to post a few things that takes me back to my roots in The Netherlands one of the countries where the REAL Santa is celebrated  on December 5th and 6th depending of in which country you lived : Saint Nicholas of Myra

image.png

I'd love to be in Holland to celebrate the feast of St. Nicholas; I can only imagine how lovely the festivities must be!

@Sharon in AZGreat news for the negative covid test!

@rafinmdExtra prayers for the residents of Maryland; that vaccine can't come soon enough!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11