Fain Now Says Vaccines, Not New Protocols Will Allow Cruising To Restart

twangster

3 hours ago, pcur said:

What I've read is after the 2 initial shots, immunity is 3-6 months.  Like any other vaccine, you would get them on a regular basis, so I would expect the covid19 will become part of annual flu shots going forward.

They don't know that yet at all. Immunity could be anywhere from a few months to years. Only time will give us the answer.

• Like 4

Well yes. 3-6 months wouldn't work out very well if they haven't even finished inoculations in that time frame. Vaccinations would have to be started all over again before they were even completed. Hopefully the results are more promising than that.  

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Well yes. 3-6 months wouldn't work out very well if they haven't even finished inoculations in that time frame. Vaccinations would have to be started all over again before they were even completed. Hopefully the results are more promising than that.  

With the stability that the virus seems to have and the T cell response of the immune system I "think" long term immunity is a real possibility. Again, only time will give the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Frontline workers at UW Medicine in Seattle started getting the  vaccine today.

I read an article here that said prisoners and homeless will get the vaccine before 65+ with no health issues...interesting.

The logic is to first vaccinate people who spread the virus or are most likely to be spread to. Those who can't stay isolated from others. Having a prison full of COVID patients is a community spread nightmare. The logic is that older people can just stay isolated another month or so.  I don't like it, but I get it.

If it was just based on a person's value to society, then the order might be different.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I understand your point.  I dont know every component of the vaccine to know what I or anyone would be allergic to.  Plus, I am definitely in the camp of having everyone vaccinated including children.  If this virus is serious enough to close down schools, then why would a parent NOT want their child vaccinated?  

At current time, the vaccine is allowed for people 16+....so i assume that is the reason for the comment.  Hopefully over time (not too much time), they will deem the vaccine safe for kids too.  We will get our kids vaccinated as soon as our turn comes and kids are allowed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They don't know that yet at all. Immunity could be anywhere from a few months to years. Only time will give us the answer.

My comment wasn't "the answer", it was an opinion.  What I've read, and what I conclude based on what I've read.  No more than that.

I am 100% for vaccination in order to cruise. In the US, expect that to be the case which pushes cruising off until May at the earliest. It would not just be the people on the cruise ship requiring it. It would be the port workers, staff in the terminal, etc. 

We can't live in a country that says Covid is so bad we have to shut everything down, then say it is ok to go back to normal without having the vaccine. There is no middle ground. Either Covid is as bad as it has been portrayed or we have all been lied to in an experiment to undermine world economies.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am 100% for vaccination in order to cruise. In the US, expect that to be the case which pushes cruising off until May at the earliest. It would not just be the people on the cruise ship requiring it. It would be the port workers, staff in the terminal, etc. 

We can't live in a country that says Covid is so bad we have to shut everything down, then say it is ok to go back to normal without having the vaccine. There is no middle ground. Either Covid is as bad as it has been portrayed or we have all been lied to in an experiment to undermine world economies.

Surely until the question is answered about transmission, which will take a while, the countries the cruise lines visit deserve to be safe from this disease by having the vaccine rolled out to them. It's going to be late 2021 or even 2022 before lower income countries get enough of the vaccine to protect their populations.

Cruises to Europe or Alaska might be possible but who knows about the rest?

12 hours ago, Heymarco said:

If the US declares the pandemic over, then the updated sail order goes away.

Are you sure about that. If the CDC can and attempts to maintain the restrictions then we know they are out to destroy the industry. And how do know the U.S government will declare the pandemic over? What is the criteria for that? Here in UK it is has been said that once the first vaccination run is completed it should prevent 99% of deaths and hospital admissions. If that statement comes to pass does that mean the pandemic in the UK is over? I can't answer that question.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Are you sure about that. If the CDC can and attempts to maintain the restrictions then we know they are out to destroy the industry. And how do know the U.S government will declare the pandemic over? What is the criteria for that? Here in UK it is has been said that once the first vaccination run is completed it should prevent 99% of deaths and hospital admissions. If that statement comes to pass does that mean the pandemic in the UK is over? I can't answer that question.

What happens in the UK will not be the same as the States. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Most likely different for each country. 

I think we should tell no one, and then relax for 6 months.

And keep the Commonwealth countries our for the same time. Only allow entry if they have had the Pfizer vaccine, no other one.😉

• Haha 1

Based on the news I am hearing and reading the US Operation warp speed put the bulk of their money on the astra zeneca vaccine which has had issues and not as effective.  We only pre ordered 100 million pfizer and a 100 million moderna.  Since everyone needs 2 does that is a total of 100 million people out of 350+ million in US that can be vaccinated in first qtr.

Moderna says US can have another 100 million vaccines by 2nd qtr.   

Pfizer says US can have another 100 million 3rd qtr but operation warp is trying to get pfizer to commit to 2nd qtr delivery before they order.

So the US will only have enough vaccine in 2nd qtr of 2021 to vaccinate 150 million people.   Possibly another 50 million people if pfizer agrees to 2nd qtr.

I personally want pfizer or moderna vaccine, hopefully I get a choice.

shame US put bulk of money into astra zeneca by pre ordering 500 million.  Like picking the wrong stock.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

. Only allow entry if they have had the Pfizer vaccine, no other one.😉

I don't think they can really do that. That will destroy relations between countries for good. Do you want really to deny for example 200 million americans entry into Canada because they had the Moderna vaccine? If that does happen with any country imagine how difficult it would be to get people to take a second vaccine just to go to one place.

14 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I don't think they can really do that. That will destroy relations between countries for good. Do you want really to deny for example 200 million americans entry into Canada because they had the Moderna vaccine? If that does happen with any country imagine how difficult it would be to get people to take a second vaccine just to go to one place.

Americans who were vaccinated with any Covid vaccine are welcome. I only mentioned the British Commonwealth countries and for 6 months. We need a breather. 

Perhaps I should have included in the post you quoted that it was typed in joke font.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Americans who were vaccinated with any Covid vaccine are welcome. I only mentioned the British Commonwealth countries and for 6 months. We need a breather. 

Perhaps I should have included in the post you quoted that it was typed in joke font.

Ironically we had to reroute our last trip to Canada because my now 82 year old father had his ETA DENIED for some reason. Mine came back approved very quickly and they wanted all sorts of forms completing for his after the application it was beyond my ability to do so we had to reroute  QM2 to sail into Canada from Southampton as opposed to flying in and catching QM2 home.

48 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Based on the news I am hearing and reading the US Operation warp speed put the bulk of their money on the astra zeneca vaccine which has had issues and not as effective.  We only pre ordered 100 million pfizer and a 100 million moderna.  Since everyone needs 2 does that is a total of 100 million people out of 350+ million in US that can be vaccinated in first qtr.

Moderna says US can have another 100 million vaccines by 2nd qtr.   

Pfizer says US can have another 100 million 3rd qtr but operation warp is trying to get pfizer to commit to 2nd qtr delivery before they order.

So the US will only have enough vaccine in 2nd qtr of 2021 to vaccinate 150 million people.   Possibly another 50 million people if pfizer agrees to 2nd qtr.

I personally want pfizer or moderna vaccine, hopefully I get a choice.

shame US put bulk of money into astra zeneca by pre ordering 500 million.  Like picking the wrong stock.

We have to pray that the J & J vaccine trial is successful.  I think that gets us another 100 million by June. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Based on the news I am hearing and reading the US Operation warp speed put the bulk of their money on the astra zeneca vaccine which has had issues and not as effective

Can they get that money back or is that money gone? If it is gone they you have to make don't you. Either use the vaccine, sell that quantity to another country or just accept the loss of the money. And if you paid and can't get your money back that frees up however many hundreds of millions of vaccines for other countries perhaps less developed countries who will take it. And if that does come to pass Astra are laughing all the way to the bank aren't they?

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Can they get that money back or is that money gone? If it is gone they you have to make don't you. Either use the vaccine, sell that quantity to another country or just accept the loss of the money. And if you paid and can't get your money back that frees up however many hundreds of millions of vaccines for other countries perhaps less developed countries who will take it. And if that does come to pass Astra are laughing all the way to the bank aren't they?

From what I've read most if not all  the preorders were non refundable whether the vaccine worked or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

From what I've read most if not all  the preorders were non refundable whether the vaccine worked or not.

Then AstraZeneca are laughing all the way to the bank. If the U.S does reject the order. I doubt will give x million doses away to a poor country. They will just sell that batch again.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Then AstraZeneca are laughing all the way to the bank. If the U.S does reject the order. I doubt will give x million doses away to a poor country. They will just sell that batch again.

Who is to say that America will just not walk away.  Who’s to say that they might not give them to countries that can’t afford it, or at least sell it at a discounted rate.