2020 cruise pier runner videos?

Lloyd555

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Weren't you cutting a bit close? Walking an extra mile is about 10-15 minutes tops for the average person.  But I can see how the thought of missing the ship can be a very scary and not so funny experience. The saddest pier runner video I saw was of a mother who had young kids on the ship and missed sailaway by about a couple of minutes.  Fortunately there were also family members onboard to take care of the kids. 

Actually, we were a good 45 minutes in advance, but my husband argued with the parking lot attendant who locked the gates as we were walking up to them, and wouldn't open up again.

Then, we got lost trying to find our way around to the overpass to the port.  Ended up in a building where we had to ask for directions, so the 15-20 minute walk turned into a 40 minute panic run!

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think most of us missed the ship in 2020.

Actually, we had two great cruises in January/February 2020 on the Majesty.  Only I came home with pneumonia, we found out NOLA was a COVID19 hotspot, and it was over Chinese New Year's.  A trifecta of potential misery.  I might have had COVID19, but after being vaccinated this year, I'll never know if the antibodies are 2020 antibodies, or 2021.

16 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Nothing for 2020............but if we had a video of our stop in Messina, Sicily...it would be funny.

We took the train to Taormina.  Had way too much fun and forgot about the time.

Got the very last bus down from Taormina to the train station.  Got the last possible train back to Messina.  We ran from the Messina train station back to the ship.

This was the first time we actually got worried...scared is the better word...got to the dock and we were the last two passengers...the ship was just about to raise the gangway.........whew!  Happy New Year to all!

Off topic but oh, Taormina!  One of my favorite places in the world.  Hopefully will get back there in 2022.

Just now, pcur said:

Actually, we were a good 45 minutes in advance, but my husband argued with the parking lot attendant who locked the gates as we were walking up to them, and wouldn't open up again.

Then, we got lost trying to find our way around to the overpass to the port.  Ended up in a building where we had to ask for directions, so the 15-20 minute walk turned into a 40 minute panic run!

Oh I get it now. I guess this is one of these very few occasion a ship sponsored excursion wins hands down. Glad you made it back on time and didn't have to scramble for alternative last minute travel plans.

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Oh I get it now. I guess this is one of these very few occasion a ship sponsored excursion wins hands down. Glad you made it back on time and didn't have to scramble for alternative last minute travel plans.

AND, I'm glad I didn't murder my husband that day for delaying us that extra 10 minutes arguing with an Italian parking lot attendant, neither of whom spoke the other's language.  I've enjoyed the ensuing years with Mr. Pcur..................................................

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Off topic but oh, Taormina!  One of my favorite places in the world.  Hopefully will get back there in 2022.

I swear I wouldn't mind getting stranded in Taormina!!  I'd stay near that fabulous cannoli shop and gain 50 lbs, minimum, before I'd even try to go home!!!

11 minutes ago, pcur said:

I swear I wouldn't mind getting stranded in Taormina!!  I'd stay near that fabulous cannoli shop and gain 50 lbs, minimum, before I'd even try to go home!!!

I hear you!  One of my fondest cruise moments was sipping a glass of wine in a cafe in Taormina, Mt. Etna in the background, just watching the world go by.  Throw in a cannoli - even better. Bliss!

• Like 1

I have very fond memories of pier runners in Cozumel; running in their Carlos and Charlies’ balloon hats while everyone on their balconies cheered them on. It was hard not to laugh. 😂

But I can’t imagine laughing at someone who missed the ship. That just seems cruel and shallow. 🙁

Edited by Aquahound

3 hours ago, pcur said:

......Our situation wasn't from not keeping track of time, but that the access to the pier (a shortcut) was closed when we got to it, and we had about a mile extra walk around to the port gates.

But, I never saw the humor in the Three Stooges, either.  I just don't enjoy other people's misery, seeing them abused or laughed at.

What you didn't do was allow enough time to get back. You should always allow extra time in case something happens. Another mile or so wouldn't take that much extra time. 

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Weren't you cutting a bit close? Walking an extra mile is about 10-15 minutes tops for the average person......

So true. Maybe others will learn from this thread what not to do.

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The best of both worlds -- Pier Runners who actually made the ship and lost all the calories they consumed at Port. This was in 2019 though. 

That one isn't bad if you mute the obnoxious guy narrating it who thinks he's funny.

• Like 2

There was a story I read here once of someone, I can not recall the cruise line, who had some kind of communication mix ups with his family which lead to missing the ship in I think it was Nassau - being alone!

I can not find the topic...but this was really an impressing first hand story, maybe someone also remembers and has the link to that topic.

being late is not always the same. If someone is obviously drunk and wears a party hat made of straws, that is one thing. But I guess some people might be late because of some medical emeregency or something similar. 

what made me sometimes wonder is when you shall be back on the ship at 7pm and masses of people are getting back to the ship at 10 past 7pm carrying shopping bags and so on. Why not getting back 20 minutes earlier?? I guess in many ports the schedules are very tight.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, Cruzaholic41 said:

It wasn’t about the pier runners. It was about laughing at them when they actually missed the ship. One video last year had some doofus guy in the background childishly laughing at a couple who actually missed their ship. Yes, that’s going too far. 

Don't want to get laughed at, don't be late. It's that simple.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:07 PM, ReneeFLL said:

That would suck and be a shock. I'm guessing the cruise line got them to the next port or home. There is a father on here who missed the ship due to a mix up with another family (friends) and the father thinking his son was getting left behind. I probably have it wrong, but it was something like that. Maybe he's still on here and will tell it again. That story wasn't funny.

Here is the story I was referring to.

We were pier stumblers

on the presidents cruise in Italy. We had booked the balloon ride special excursion for the presidents cruise. There was a drought in Italy that year. The drought ended that day with horrible thunderstorms cancelling the luncheon and ballon ride and we were all corralled into the winery. The power went out . The executive said open bar until we leave. We were in the last coach bus to leave and ended up probably about an hour after departure. We had about 30’ people on  that last bus. As soon as we boarded they pulled up the lines. The executives were not far ahead of us. And we got the excursion money back as obc. The best free excursion ever. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

That one isn't bad if you mute the obnoxious guy narrating it who thinks he's funny.

Ugh.  I should've listened to you and muted that clown.  :35 seconds in and I couldn't take anymore.  I want to go find that guy and drop kick him.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Ugh.  I should've listened to you and muted that clown.  :35 seconds in and I couldn't take anymore.  I want to go find that guy and drop kick him.  

I agree!  Sadly he brought back to me the memory of our departure from St. John, Nova Scotia a couple of years ago.  A local bagpiper was on the dock, in full regalia, to pipe us away, a nice touch.  It was cold and rainy.  Departure was delayed, but he played on.  But he was out-blasted by activities staff who wanted everyone to do the Electric Slide.  They super-amplified the music and their voices, with non-stop "now to the right, now turn....." for the entire 40 minutes.  We were on another deck, but still could barely hear the piper.  I think the whole town heard ES, though.

Ok, back to pier runners (or in the case of two we once saw, slo-mo pier strollers).

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I agree!  Sadly he brought back to me the memory of our departure from St. John, Nova Scotia a couple of years ago.  A local bagpiper was on the dock, in full regalia, to pipe us away, a nice touch.  It was cold and rainy.  Departure was delayed, but he played on.  But he was out-blasted by activities staff who wanted everyone to do the Electric Slide.  They super-amplified the music and their voices, with non-stop "now to the right, now turn....." for the entire 40 minutes.  We were on another deck, but still could barely hear the piper.  I think the whole town heard ES, though.

Ok, back to pier runners (or in the case of two we once saw, slo-mo pier strollers).

I can't stand the sound of bagpipes. To me it's one of the most annoying noises in the world. As annoying as the electric slide could be for 40 minutes, it's still better than bagpipes.