The Daily for Thursday Jan 21, 2021

richwmn

today is National One Liners Day, Squirrel Appreciation Day, and  International Sweatpants Day

The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go to erase it.
        -- Glaser and Way

Meal suggestion for today - Smothered Burritos

Drink of the Day - The Margarita

Wine of the day - Cossart Gordon 2008 Colheita Single Harvest Verdelho (Madeira) Portugal vintage

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Koningsdam destination San Diego today
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam destination Los Angelas today
Zuiderdam destination Long Beach today

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0121Carib.png

0121Tor.png

0121West.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich for the Daily for the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century.  I love one liners but find squirrels a pest.  I'm not a big fan of sweat pants either but they are handy for certain occasions.

I love the quote but will pass on the Burrito.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Beef Sgfoganoff, and Cherry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam this date 2 years ago.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes21.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Mamaofami;s Friends

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A peaceful and uneventful transition

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

A good home for Dismomx5's piano

Amanda Gorman

Vaccine appoints for Mary229 (today), me (Monday), Cruising-along (Tue)

Crabbi-patty’s dad vaccinated

End in sight for Dfish’s siding project

$$$$$$731 million win for a lucky Maryland Powerball Player

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

From yesterday:

On 1/20/2021 at 6:57 AM, BobbiSox said:

Rafinmd, I have always been curious about the menus you post, all from Prinsendam, some going way way back. How do you do it? Did you keep a log while onboard? I wish I had kept a log of not only my meals, but all of my travels. I know curiosity killed the cat, but I'm dying to know, if you would be so kind as to indulge me. Maybe others are curious also, but too polite to ask. 

@BobbiSox, there are several pieces to this puzzle, and it’s varied over time.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2002, I was on medication for a little while but have brought it under control by carefully watching my diet and walking.  They say for a carpenter the answer to every problem is a hammer; while to an actuary the answer is probably a spreadsheet.  I’ve created a spreadsheet planning how I would stay within my goals each day since about 2002 and they are saved.  Since 2011 I’ve been blogging my travels and the blogs include postings of the menus and daily programs each day.  I’ve been doing the little collages and including my selections in my daily postings since late 2016, which makes referring to the spreadsheets un-necessary.  I match the descriptions of my choices from the saved menus to the basic selections noted either in the spreadsheet or later the blog post..

While my selections have been all from the Prinsendam recently, that will not always be the case.  In the next few days I will be bringing the Zaandam and the Maasdam into the mix, and later the Pinnacle class and eventually other ships into the mix.  Unfortunately, for the Maasdam and other pre-17 ships, there will be no collage of dishes.

Roy

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the daily.

Interesting collection of days.  I seem to be wearing sweatpants a lot lately.  My dog loves squirrels, he loves barking at them and chasing them. 

So many great one liners.  One of my favourites:  If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Love those maps, thanks.

Burritos and margaritas sound like a great combo for dinner, not sure what we'll have.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

My next couple of sunrises will be the last from their respective cruises.  I disembarked Queen Victoria in Fort Lauderdale but did not catch a sunrise then but did see it QV's second morning in Port Canaveral.

dawn0121.jpg

Roy

• Like 25

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

From yesterday:

@BobbiSox, there are several pieces to this puzzle, and it’s varied over time.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2002, I was on medication for a little while but have brought it under control by carefully watching my diet and walking.  They say for a carpenter the answer to every problem is a hammer; while to an actuary the answer is probably a spreadsheet.  I’ve created a spreadsheet planning how I would stay within my goals each day since about 2002 and they are saved.  Since 2011 I’ve been blogging my travels and the blogs include postings of the menus and daily programs each day.  I’ve been doing the little collages and including my selections in my daily postings since late 2016, which makes referring to the spreadsheets un-necessary.  I match the descriptions of my choices from the saved menus to the basic selections noted either in the spreadsheet or later the blog post..

While my selections have been all from the Prinsendam recently, that will not always be the case.  In the next few days I will be bringing the Zaandam and the Maasdam into the mix, and later the Pinnacle class and eventually other ships into the mix.  Unfortunately, for the Maasdam and other pre-17 ships, there will be no collage of dishes.

Roy

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  I'm very familiar with spreadsheets, having earned my living managing other people's money for decades. I always look forward to your posts. Some of them take me back to the most wonderful places! 

• Like 9

Good morning Rich, Roy and my fellow DAILYITES.  I hope each og you ha a great Day!  Rich, thanks for the fleet report  Roy, I like your alternate meal suggestion.  Keep Smiling friends for it makes people wonder what you are up to.!

• Like 12

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love one liners and I’m sure that many have celebrated sweatpants day many times over the past 10 months.  I don’t care for the grey squirrels in our yard as they are the bane of my spring bulbs.  It’s a constant fight to protect the bulbs.

LOL on the quote.  I’ll pass on burritos but will stay on the Mexican theme with fish tacos tonight.  love a good Margarita in hot weather!

Back in the days when we could eat in restaurants;

23B8D038-5E6C-48A4-B6A9-0EEDD7DEEB61.thumb.jpeg.1bf6efa4393f6f5a8833238b8bbf6083.jpeg

The Inauguration ceremony yesterday was really well done and this young lady was very inspiring:

07470585-7076-4AF0-942A-5E838EF3AC5E.thumb.jpeg.16382d1ba668258e93d3fe0df9ae0454.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

A72F4A97-2126-4E39-8214-0221B9602AAC.thumb.png.da827fb8dcbd8c4b396ba75bafa6367c.png

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Bindi loves squirrels & she has even made friends with one in our yard. And they all love to tease her on our walks. Ahh - one liners & sweatpants, just wonderful creations. Though in stead of sweatpants in Florida, it is more stretch capris.

Morning Roy, thank you for our lists! Happy to see you put yourself on the celebration list!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Jacqui, @kazu, Amanda Gorman’s poem and her recitation were one of my highlights. If our country is truly to heal, then we all will have to be brave enough to be the light. 
Love the quote. The meal & drink seem to go hand in hand. My painting project is 3/4 of the way done. The cold - for Florida, mornings have delayed things a bit, but already the house looks better. I have no clue what I will do for supper tonight. 

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Well you may have to hunt for this one, though if you are willing to purchase a case for $331+ and shipping, there are several European distributors who can help. The Wine Enthusiast site had a “buy now “ link with a bottle price of $48.99.
Wine Enthusiasts’ review

At 12 years old, this wood-aged Madeira has plenty of fruit to go with lifted acidity. Orange and candied lemon-peel flavors are preserved by the wine's total freshness and spice. Drink now.  

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  One liners are great; we have a love/hate relationship with the squirrels in our neighbourhood, and considering the amount of cooking I've done over the past 10 months, I think sweatpants are  in our future! 

Yesterday was a write-off as far as getting anything done, as I spent most of it watching the inauguration.  In years past, I was always at work and would see the Reader's Digest condensed version of it on the news, but yesterday was actually able to watch the whole thing.  I felt bad that the newcomers weren't able to partake in the traditional balls, but hope that once Covid is a thing of the past,  maybe they will be given that opportunity for celebration.  To end the night with fireworks was just beautiful.

While we're not fans of burritos, we do love a good beef stroganoff; I have a single steak in the "ice cave" that I can turn into a nice dish for the two of us tonight.  With a side salad, I think we're going to have a good dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Dislike squirrels!  They are all over the place and dig holes in the yard.  As @cat shepardsaid, stretchy capris here in Florida.  Interesting quote.  Love Burritos but dinner will be something take out.  Haven't decided yet. Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list, and a click of glasses🍸to our celebration/shout out list.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.07.16 AM.png

• Like 12

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

$$$$$$731 million win for a lucky Maryland Powerball Player

Roy, aren't you from Allegany County? That powerball ticket was sold from there. After taxes, lump sum would be about $360 Million. You can do like over 6,000 cruises with 9 friends in Neptune Suites for that!

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

Good Morning to everyone. As always thank you for this wonderful thread!

Love to see the positions of the ships. We have 3 Disney ships out off Cocoa Beach. We were talking and wondering. Do you think they take a tender over to another ship for dinner??

Will be very happy when we can finally get on another ship. For us, it is not until 2/22.

Today is Thursday- so golf day! Beautiful day to be outside.

No vaccine for me yet, although I am on lots of lists. The Governor has finally restricted it to Florida residents so hopefully my turn will come soon.  

• Like 14

43 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Roy, aren't you from Allegany County? That powerball ticket was sold from there. After taxes, lump sum would be about $360 Million. You can do like over 6,000 cruises with 9 friends in Neptune Suites for that!

Welcome to the Daily.  For those far from town, Allegheny County is the second furthest county from the West.  I'm in Howard County, almost midpoint between Baltimore and Washington.  Also a nice cool $2million for someone from Washington County.  That's not near Washington DC, but for me about halfway to the westernmost point of the state,   just over an hour's drive away.

Off to the eye doctor.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We have lots of squirrels in the yard since our new house is in amongst a lot of trees. So far, they have been entertaining but I know they can become pests! They manage to look cute doing it though...

With the days getting noticeably longer (I can tell since we see the sunset through our front windows every day), I have been thinking about getting back to Canada this spring (summer?, fall?) Here is a Kawartha Lakes moonrise from 10/2015 - We miss this view!

PA260386.thumb.JPG.3f2bd737c31ee7d0de70a3f20a11f175.JPG

• Like 25

What a beautiful day in Southwestern Ontario today! The sun is shining and it is just above freezing. It looks a bit windy, so I'm guessing it doesn't feel as warm as it looks!

Thanks to Rich and Roy and Cat Shepherd for the daily updates, meals, prayers and drinks.

My son and 4 yo granddaughter are here for the day. I know that we have kept teachers and school workers in our prayers, but I'm wondering if we could add all those parents/grandparents doing the online school as well. DGD had a morning meeting at 9, small group at 9:30, break, music at 10, break, math at 11, lunch.....and so on through the day. I can't imagine being a parent who is trying to work from home and/or caring for infants, toddlers, other school age kids trying to keep it straight. Oh, and keep the attention of the kids in 'school'. So difficult. I know that most people just want things to be safe enough to get back to normal, with kids in school.

Blessings to everyone!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 24

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Well you may have to hunt for this one, though if you are willing to purchase a case for $331+ and shipping, there are several European distributors who can help. The Wine Enthusiast site had a “buy now “ link with a bottle price of $48.99.

Well, IF our cruise can go in November, I’ll certainly be looking for this one in Madeira.  Love Verdelho.

• Like 10

Good afternoon on this slow Thursday afternoon - well only up to post #21 so far today.

We are just back home after DW having her first Radiotherapy 'blast'.  Only 14 more to go 🙏.

We also received news that my first cousin succumbed to Covid 19 this morning in a UK hospital.  He had been taken into hospital on New Year's Eve and had been in a coma for the past 10 days.

So wear that mask and stay safe everyone.....please!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Brisk here this morning and my usual walk with the dogs was cut short by a huge buck with a wonderful set of antlers. Since he insisted on standing where we usually go.... and the snow is too deep to go elsewhere, we retreated to the house. Will take pups out again when shortly as I am sure he has moved on. The deer seem to know my dogs are leashed and they (the deer) seem to delight in just lazing about in my way. The snow is probably holding them in town.... and would rather be dodging the deer than dodging the bears.

I enjoyed watching the inauguration yesterday. I remember being hauled to several of them as a child.... much more comfortable from inside with a soft seat and a warm drink in hand.

Susan

• Like 15

Good morning everyone. It’s a slow start today since I spent all day yesterday watching the inauguration. I’m so happy it went off smoothly and that we have a new beginning to look forward to in this country.

Squirrels.It’s hard for me to find appreciation for them. One year, my parents came home from Florida and found that a squirrel had come down the chimney, elated through the wooden staircase railing and their carpet before succumbing under the living room couch.

Another time, we had one or two in our attic and were given Have a Heart traps to put up there. My DH climbed up and brought one of the traps down, complete with a squirrel. He handed the trap off to my 10 year old daughter who wondered what would happen if she tilted the trap sideways. What happened was the squirrel ran out, ran back and forth along the headboard and finally escaped outside when we opened the bedroom window.

On another occasion, they ate through the electric wires outside our home, causing minor havoc until Con Edison repaired everything. They are definitely not appreciated by me. 

Thank you, Roy, for including my friends on the care list. One is home from the hospital  after her blood clot healed, but the other is still in hospice in a hospital in Florida. She’s been in pain for so many years, it’s a blessing that she’s now getting some morphine.

Im off to take my virtual course on The Roaring Twenties and prohibition.

Stay safe and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1