The Daily for Thursday Jan 21, 2021

richwmn

Squirrels?  What about skunks.  I open the blinds in the am and often see them running across the lawn. I live in the city. One time my son yelled he had been squirted we yelled strip down then come in. Oh yeah, he stripped but after he came in the basement door.  Was not channel perfume. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Just signed DH & myself onto the 65+ list -- those shots are supposed to start next week in Maryland. BUT the website warned that the state was only receiving 10,000 daily doses for a demand of 1.5 million people currently eligible. I guess it will be a while before we get appointments!

DH received his first three radiation treatments this week, just 11 more to go! So far, he's had no side effects. Yay!

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Just signed DH & myself onto the 65+ list -- those shots are supposed to start next week in Maryland. BUT the website warned that the state was only receiving 10,000 daily doses for a demand of 1.5 million people currently eligible. I guess it will be a while before we get appointments!

DH received his first three radiation treatments this week, just 11 more to go! So far, he's had no side effects. Yay!

Wonderful news! Definitely 🥂 worthy!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

noordam

I spent some time in the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) yesterday (Wed) morning watching Holland America Line's Noordam, a ship I've worked on during more than one contract, incl. an April 2015 dry-dock in Freeport, as her security officer, depart. It was great seeing her again! I had made contact with her captain prior to departure and he gave me a nice "goodbye" using the ship's big whistle as he passed enroute to open sea. Thanks a bunch/Hartstikke bedankt Captain Eric! 🙂 Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for all the updates.  Prayers to all who are going thru medical treatments or have lost love ones. 

Squirrels were always a favorite of our lakeland  terrier.  She would almost go thru a sliding glass door when seeing one outside.  Not the brightest dog but we did love her.  And she loved any critter with 4 legs.

Stay well and safe. This thread is a ray of sunshine!

• Like 13

January 21, 2013

Neumeyer Channel, Port Lockroy, Antarctic

It was foggy most of the morning and Captain and his team kept in contact with the research stations and the few other vessels that were in the area regarding weather and predictions for where and when we should try sightseeing. We made several attempts to get through LeMaire Channel, but although we could see it across the channel, it was chocked with ice and way too narrow for us to pass through.

bDSC_0229.thumb.jpg.ad0a83bac393df6c591d1231c39b14e2.jpgbDSC_0204.thumb.jpg.d0203ed6853744e6fa9cc11c2e263790.jpg

In his remarks, Captain Bos said so far he had not been able to get through the channel, as it was also full of ice on the previous cruise (which was his first to Antarctica). You could hear his disappointment, but he did say we would try again later. (And when we did try, it still was too dangerously full of ice to pass through.)

bDSC_0234.thumb.jpg.dccc191e9d80405d92a3ad7a2f8eacea.jpgbDSC_0307.thumb.jpg.f5ed97386bdffcd570b515986aecaba4.jpgIMG_0658.thumb.jpg.f9e99f4b061f7014d6dd734194b736bc.jpg

We spent the remainder of the day doing some intense scenic cruising and it was both exhilarating and exhausting. The quiet, and the beauty of Antarctica is indescribable.

bDSC_0228.thumb.jpg.d437822c66f16fd273ea4b4e1b4f6857.jpgbDSC_0257.thumb.jpg.c2f272253a5ca43a9bd10716c245f8a7.jpgbDSC_0271.thumb.jpg.abead671ffaf814183391430c4c4ab57.jpgbDSC_0273.thumb.jpg.36eb12a8d6b6a5074a1ad6a6a14ad5fb.jpgbDSC_0313.thumb.jpg.df44f2ed380ca169b817b04228b77d0f.jpgbDSC_0350.thumb.jpg.7b8655cf898ed0b05421a28ac670b89c.jpgbDSC_0344.thumb.jpg.8b622f7dc6c484d42503ddc9f98e2e64.jpg

We had picked up 2 boatloads of researchers from the American base at Palmer Station around 6:30am, and they provided a couple of lectures on some of the projects they are involved in and what life is like on one of the bases. They grow some of their food hydroponically, and receive regular shipments of fresh food from Ushuaia every couple of weeks. Everyone on base is either a researcher or has a job that supports the researchers. While on board our visitors had free grazing at the Lido and other pax indicated that they were able to get a shower, and would take back some boxes of groceries in exchange for their time and lectures. HAL was the originator of these arrangements several years ago. Initially they didn’t think the program would be popular, and were amazed at how well received it was. And ever since they have been invited to come aboard. Later in the afternoon, 2 avons appeared to retrieve our guests. With a chorus of “byes” and “thank yous coming from both sides, then a loud blast from Veendam’s whistle, they set off to return to the station. We continued to sail in the Neumeyer and Gerlache Straits, and saw lots more wildlife: seals, whales (humpbacks, orcas, minkes), and chinstrap, Gentoo and adiele penguins galore.

bDSC_0320.thumb.jpg.ac684bd9ee926f603269782ccdef50ed.jpg

bIMG_0640.thumb.jpg.3023af8b5f3df5b439edfcb8228f52dc.jpgThat evening I gave the hot tubs a try. That was a thrilling experience in itself. Not only was the air breathtakingly cold, but peeking through the rising steam from the tubs and seeing such magnificent landscape slowly and quietly going by was priceless. That’s a memory that I won’t forget!

• Like 20

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You always have the most gorgeous photos,  especially the wild life. Is photography a passion of yours?  I'd love to see more of your travel photos, e.g., from Greece and Italy especially...

Aw thanks!  I got the new iPad Air and it works well at sunset!   DH got a camera with a crazy zoom,  for wildlife.  He bought it before our European cruise in 2019 but dropped it in Meteora and thankfully was able to get it replaced afterwards but so far few pictures with it in Europe.    I would be happy to share some Greece and Italy with you!   Two of my favourite places! 

We have started doing a lot of bird photography this year and I always find getting out in nature lifts my spirits!  We live near the mountains, but I am fascinated by how they change,  kind of like how I love staring at the sea.  

a few from Meteora

42903F1D-B1CE-4B19-B6A7-32D5D2E25DA3.jpeg

43E3242B-3651-4263-A6BA-7BEAA3861C44.jpeg

0CAE66B0-81ED-4A97-9D0B-151C6101332C.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Hope all goes well! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Dislike squirrels!  They are all over the place and dig holes in the yard.  As @cat shepardsaid, stretchy capris here in Florida.  Interesting quote.  Love Burritos but dinner will be something take out.  Haven't decided yet. Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list, and a click of glasses🍸to our celebration/shout out list.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Martini:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz (1 part) Dry vermouth, 3 oz (6 parts) Gin
Preparation: Straight: Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain in chilled martini cocktail glass. Squeeze oil from lemon peel onto the drink, or garnish with olive.
Served: Straight (or on the rocks)
Standard garnish: Lemon twist, Olive

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.07.16 AM.png

One of these makes my head spin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Roy, aren't you from Allegany County? That powerball ticket was sold from there. After taxes, lump sum would be about $360 Million. You can do like over 6,000 cruises with 9 friends in Neptune Suites for that!

Roy, were you the winner?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Squirrels?  What about skunks.  I open the blinds in the am and often see them running across the lawn. I live in the city. One time my son yelled he had been squirted we yelled strip down then come in. Oh yeah, he stripped but after he came in the basement door.  Was not channel perfume. 

Squirrels over skunks any day!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I spent some time in the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) yesterday (Wed) morning watching Holland America Line's Noordam, a ship I've worked on during more than one contract, incl. an April 2015 dry-dock in Freeport, as her security officer, depart. It was great seeing her again! I had made contact with her captain prior to departure and he gave me a nice "goodbye" using the ship's big whistle as he passed enroute to open sea. Thanks a bunch/Hartstikke bedankt Captain Eric! 🙂 Fair Winds and Following Seas!

I think the NOORDAM is the nicest of the VISTA Class ships.

• Like 4

Maasdam - January 2020 -Auckland, NZ

The Maasdam ended the voyage in Auckland and my flight was very late in the day. I had found an independent van tour and booked it.  I was supposed to find a luggage storage place near the warf where I could store my luggage for the day and then take a shuttle to the airport when the tour ended.  Sounds like a plan, right?  I even called and talked to the luggage storage place.  But no one told me that all of Auckland was under construction including the area near the port.  Many sidewalks were blocked or turned into ramps that catch luggage wheels...oh my!  I attempted to find the place.  It was about 8 AM, if I remember correctly, and few shops were open to ask.  I had not purchased cell phone coverage for NZ.  It was about the time I was supposed to be picked up and hadn't even found the luggage storeage place....what to do?  I found a very nice lady in uniform with a dog.  I don't remember her exact position, but the dog was sniffing to find fruits and other banned items.  I told her my situation, she phoned for me and helped me get to a different meeting point.  Yes, I hugged her!

After that the day impoved.  Here is the Auckland skyline.

20200120_094407.thumb.jpg.fcf31ff66f50b2416af923bf3be4296b.jpg

The guide provided a snack stop that included many Aussie and NZ foods, such as Anzac biscuits and vegemite.  Yes to the biscuits, no to the vegemite.  

20200120_112856.thumb.jpg.898310d08d679501ab4b3594f357143f.jpg

My favorite stop was at the Wintergarden. This is two victorian-style glass houses or conservatory. I could have stayed here all day.  On the grounds were these unusual palms. Again I don't know the name.  Something like fern palm???  The flowers were gorgeous. @Overhead Fred would love it. 

20200120_121828.thumb.jpg.10163d0d0283002cb331eddde945ecc6.jpg

20200120_122520.thumb.jpg.f53d8d82e69ad50215cddad42aa027e2.jpg

20200120_122923.thumb.jpg.b7b2576eb2ad626208f00304fafc4496.jpg

20200120_122903.thumb.jpg.38b2a747de35904d9830f9e60c99fda1.jpg

20200120_122857.thumb.jpg.08fb9024267e31e0030bb98a3dfd5fb9.jpg

20200120_122850.thumb.jpg.0a9350ededade3652416a39e92f52571.jpg

We also went to the west side of the island and saw the black sand beaches.

20200120_135039.thumb.jpg.90326ac4b0198ccd1c528a834c945d55.jpg

I have a Austalia circumnavigation booked for Nov/Dec 2021 on the Oosterdam.  Yesterday I heard that the Ministry of Health for Australia says the border may not open until late 2021 or 2022.  I am still hopeful. 

Janet

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

A very late good afternoon.  Today did not go quite as planned.  Had to get to the PO early to beat the crowds to pick up a package that was too big for the box.  It seems like a lot of people had the same idea, but the line moved quickly, especially after they opened the package pick up door, so we did not have to be in line for the regular window. Then, I added a couple of more stops.  Turns out today was the best day to to Parker to the big box store.

I am not a sweat pants person either.  I have a couple of pairs and will wear them once in a while at night if it’s really cold.  I much prefer jeans in the winter and shorts and sandals in the summer.

For 14 years, we lived in The Woodlands north of Houston.  As the name implies, they prized the trees and you had to jump through hoops to be able to cut one down.  We had 38 big pine trees in the backyard and 4 or 5 in the front.  The yard was a squirrel haven, and I liked to watch their antics.  One tree was very close to the house, and the squirrels could reach the facia where they chewed their way into,the attic.  DH would throw mothballs up, there.  We could always tell when the mothballs lost their odor because we could hear the squirrels running arind in the attic.

@VMax1700  so sorry about your cousin.  Keeping good thoughts for your wife.

Lenda

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nice!  Made my heart skip a beat hearing that.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Edited 2 hours ago by Copper10-8

Noordam was our first cruise ship. Thanks for giving us a look at an old friend, Copper John.

Lori & George

• Like 6

Good evening, everyone.

@VMax1700I am so sorry about the loss of your cousin.   I am keeping your wife in my prayers and hope that her treatments go well.

@Dismomx5I chuckled about school at home.  A friend of mine, who is a physician, called me up a few weeks ago and began with, "I have such new found respect for your profession.  How do you do it?"   And he only has one to supervise.  

The siding guys finished up today.  The new gutters were installed and all the finishing touches applied.  I did buy a new light fixture for the front door as the old one would have looked really bad with the new siding.  The back wall of my bedroom is all shored up and the drywall was patched around the window.  Also, the ceiling was repaired where I had a hole from the improperly installed roof.  I am thrilled.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Any idea why they are cruising up from anchorage off S.D. to port in Los Angeles?   Seems like a waste of fuel.   They must be getting better prices for dockage and supplies in Los Angeles than San Diego?

• Like 2

Thanks for the Daily reports, photos and humour.

@VMax1700 our condolences on the loss of your cousin, best wishes to your DW that her treatments  are effective.

Thought squirrels  were cute, but after reading of the damage they cause am pleased that there are none in this country.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thank you for the video, wonderful to hear the horn.

• Like 6