The Daily for Saturday Jan 23, 2021

richwmn

today is National Pie Day, National Handwriting Day, and Local Quilt Shop Day

The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure one of them is a match.
        -- Will Rogers

Meal suggestion for today - Blue Cheese-Crusted Sirloin Steaks

Drink of the Day - Delta Blues

Wine of the day - Biokult 2019 Naken Made With Organic Grapes White (Burgenland) Austria

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Port Everglades Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0123World.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I love pie but don't eat a lot of it.  Quilts fill a big need, especially for those further north.  My handwriting has never been good and has been a challenge to many secretaries.  Will Rogers is spot on.  Your meal suggestion sounds very good.  My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup,  and Oven Roasted Chicken, as served on MS Maasdam January 23, 2015.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

RIP, Vmax1700's British cousin

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

RIP Hank Aaron

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Mamaofami’s friend in hospice

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin

Great Vet report for Marley

An appointment, though inconvenient, for lazey1

A socially distanced outdoor lunch for Cruising-along

A great land tour for Horizon Chaser 1957

A new eagle pip

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Saturday morning.  We love pie!  My sister makes the best ones.  My handwriting is so so.  I've been working on a quilt for a long time.  It's appliqued and I get tired easily. 

I love Will Rogers quotes. 

The meal sounds wonderful as does Roy's.

I could not find any recipe for the Delta Blues.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, summer slope said:

This is the only thing I can find, and I can't locate the list I got the name from (sorry).

Delta Blues Old Fashioned

Buffalo Trace bourbon whiskey, dark sugar syrup, bitters, orange peel

• Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I finally got one day right! I made a Meyer lemon pecan crusted pie for a friend’s celebratory birthday dinner tonight!  Hmm, pretty sure I do not have a local quilt shop, but perhaps quilters show their art at farmer’s markets & fairs. We have generations who have not learned cursive, so I wonder how they will celebrate handwriting day in 50 years or so. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists! We have a second pip! Rare for both eggs to PIP on the same day!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Bindi & I had our first siting of the local herd during last evening’s walk. Had to snap a pic. The younger ones were frolicking!

Tonight I am celebrating a good friend’s birthday. We starting with champagne margaritas from Summer’s drink recipe & cheese. Then salad, scallops, root veggie galette, and ending with the Meyer lemon pie. And wine, of course!

@richwmn, I wonder how “Buffalo Trace” bourbon got its name?

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

This Austrian white wine made from organic grapes has an excellent rating and a decent price starting at $14.99. This wine is very popular amongst consumers, but they seem to have a difficult time agreeing on the color. 🤔 Some describe it as pink, some orange, some copper. And then the boring folk just call it white. I might just have to add this one to my list, just so I can add my thoughts on the color - of course!

Wine Enthusiasts notes 

Pink-hued and funky, this skin-contact orange wine brims with clementine and orange peel notes on the nose, supported by an overtone of honeysuckle. The light palate has a texture reminiscent of citrus pith and tingles with freshness, while clementine and white pepper notes are highlighted by the bone-dry nature. It is compelling and wonderfully light.  

D3F92468-A47E-488C-A80F-79C55765B2C9.jpeg

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love pie, but can't make a decent pastry, so I cheat by using the frozen pie shells - DH doesn't care, as long as it's pie.  I've always had good handwriting and wish they still taught cursive writing in school.  While I don't quilt, I had lots of quilting cotton for different projects that has been put to good use making masks during the pandemic.

DH would love today's menu suggestion, as he really likes blue cheese; unfortunately, I'm allergic to it, so he only gets to eat it when we go out.  I like Roy's suggestion of oven roasted chicken, but have found a new (and easy) recipe for sweet & sour crock pot chicken that I'm going to try today.  Served with rice, it will make a nice hot meal on a cold winter's night.  And wine.  The temps are predicted to go to -30C overnight, so we'll be needing one of those quilts!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting with a *clink* all on the celebration list tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll celebrate pie day by buying DH one at our little market 😉  No quilt shops here - we have to wait for the shows and big local market to open in the spring (virus permitting of course).  

Love the quote by Will Rogers 😂 

Not sure what I will concoct for dinner tonight.  I need to get creative.

Thanks for the wine description @cat shepard - it sounds wonderful and definitely one I will add to my list too to put in my bar 😉 :

5E91BB70-AD42-4E7B-A3CB-38637D984360.thumb.jpeg.b37284af673216bfbab9a35965415bd3.jpeg

Covid has cancelled a lot of activities that have never been cancelled before:

16299421-71FA-4DE4-8613-E9007EB61FA5.jpeg.8c0f0e5906f76666ce5c77d634fde0cf.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a big clink of the glass for those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 24
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone.  Love the Daily Report.  I guess I'm slow to the party today.

I love pie.  My grandmother was an excellent baker, and I learned from her.  But, I don't make many pies because it's usually too much for just the 2 of us, but I want one now.

I don't quilt (heck, I can barely sew a button on) but I have several quilts made by family members.  I certainly admire their work.

My handwriting is atrocious, but I can read it.

Thanks for the meal suggestions, they both sound great.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Good morning, everyone!   

Pie day sounds wonderful.   When I was teaching we used to celebrate Pi Day on March 14th.  The kids had to do Pi projects.  They loved it.  We ate pie all day long and had Pi inspired fashions and paper chains and you name it.  

Today's dinner sounds great, but I made the big pot of chicken soup yesterday.  I'll be eating that for the next few days.   

I would love to get to the quilt shops around here sometime soon.   I want to get fabric to work on a project during the rest of the winter.  It will probably last through next winter as well.  LOL.   When the guys were working on the back wall of the house, it got a little cold in my bedroom the first night.  I was thankful for the quilts and just piled them on.  Slept really well.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Here is what I found.

Delta Blue Diamond Signature Cocktail
  • 1 part Bombay Sapphire Gin.
  • Splash of Minute Maid Apple Juice.
  • 3 Parts Seagram's Tonic Water.
  • Served Over Ice.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I love pie but don't eat a lot of it.  Quilts fill a big need, especially for those further north.  My handwriting has never been good and has been a challenge to many secretaries.  Will Rogers is spot on.  Your meal suggestion sounds very good.  My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup,  and Oven Roasted Chicken, as served on MS Maasdam January 23, 2015.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

RIP, Vmax1700's British cousin

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

RIP Hank Aaron

Vict0riann awaiting biopsy results

Mamaofami’s friend in hospice

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin

Great Vet report for Marley

An appointment, though inconvenient, for lazey1

A socially distanced outdoor lunch for Cruising-along

A great land tour for Horizon Chaser 1957

A new eagle pip

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I first saw Hank Aaron as a rookie with the old Milwaukee Braves.  He was called Henry in those days.  He got his chance when Bobby Thompson broke his ankle in sring training.  Arron never left the Braves line up. He was a rookie with Henie Banks and Wally Moon.  Moon won Rookie of the year. Both Aaron and Banks made the Hall of Fame.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Himself said:

I first saw Hank Aaron as a rookie with the old Milwaukee Braves.  He was called Henry in those days.  He got his chance when Bobby Thompson broke his ankle in sring training.  Arron never left the Braves line up. He was a rookie with Henie Banks and Wally Moon.  Moon won Rookie of the year. Both Aaron and Banks made the Hall of Fame.

Ernie Banks

• Like 2

Light snow showers mixed with some rain today. We don't care as long as we get moisture. Looks like it will be off and on stormy over the next couple of weeks. Yay!!!!!!

Would love pie today but with just me I will have to wait until I can go out. Baking for one seems a bit wasteful. And I love to bake. As to quilts.... I never learned. My Grandmother was an excellent quilter and I still have the one she made for me when I was little. Puppy dogs made out of flour sack materials.... anyone remember when those were standard? Lovely patterns. I treasure that quilt. She also made clothes for my doll from same materials.... and I still have some of those although the doll is long gone.

Susan

• Like 20

Goof moring Rich and DAILYITES. It is seven above zero this morning here in Naperville.  I wish I was on a cruise in the Caribbean today.  Thanks for the fleet report.  I have NEVER had good handwriting..My mother thought I would never get through high school.  When I did she said I would never get through college.  When I did she just shook her head.  I liked your meal suggestion and Roy's alternative. 

My bestto all who tead and/or post on this thread.      

• Like 11

Good morning all!

Great collection of days today.  My family (immediate and extended) are huge pie lovers, and (when we could get together) I was always the chief pie maker.  I inherited that honor after my Mother passed.  My Dad was known to pile 4 different kinds of pie on his plate at once.  It must not have hurt him, he lived to be 101!

My handwriting used to be so-so, but since arthritis, a broken finger and not much practice, my handwriting is pretty bad if I have to write more than a line or two.

Never learned how to quilt, but can certainly appreciate all the work and love that goes into them.

Love the quote today!  Dinner tonight will be take-out seafood from a local restaurant.  The day will be spent packing and getting ready for a 2-day stay at the ocean for my birthday tomorrow.  

I learned this morning that Larry King passed from Covid.  I knew he was hospitalized, and with his age and health problems knew it didn't look good for him.  So sad, another legend gone.

Edit:  This is the first time I've made it to the first page LOL.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love,pie, but I also cheat by using store bought frozen pie shells. Still tastes yummy.

My handwriting is good, but my son took after his father. When he was 13, we bought him an apple computer, one of the first ones. He’s 48.It helped a lot. But, there is no way I can read DHs writing. I’ve even asked him to print and I still can’t read it.

A cold spell is on its way and just heard we have one of the new variants of the virus’s here in NJ. Lots of sites have opened up for the vaccine, but there is none available.

I love the steak idea for dinner, but not with blue cheese. To me, that would spoil the taste of a good steak.

My good friend still lingers in hospice. She stopped eating several days ago, so I’m sure it won’t be long now. Yesterday, I found a picture of the three dental,school,wives holding their three dental school babies. The youngest just turned 60, and the two others are only a month or so behind.

Stay safe everyone, and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 17

Good morning all

This is another educational day for me.  I had to google root vegetable gellate. After reading a few recipe's online this would not be for me. 

Todays wine sounds wonderful and the drink sounds pretty good also.

Pie day; Oh how difficult to pick a favorite. I could have one each of lemon meringue, key lime, pineapple cream, pecon, chocolate meringue, chocolate silk, german chocolate, black bottom cream pie, chocolate chess pie and any other chocolate pie you can to name.

• Like 10