The Daily for Friday Feb 5, 2021

richwmn

today is Bubble Gum Day, National Shower with a Friend Day, and National Weatherman's Day

Children seldom misquote you.  In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

Meal suggestion for today - The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup

Drink of the Day - Caramel Snickerdoodle Martini

Wine of the day - Miraval Rose - France - Rose vintage

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam destination Long Beach today

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam destination Port Everglades today

San Diego Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0205Tor.thumb.png.810b052a15a274187bb0b22403b1a004.png

0205USA.thumb.png.9b565556c5296b58dc9b3d59258e0855.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  I think showering with a friend is on hold for now.  I'll pass on the bubble gum but salute our weathermen.  Oh, how true on the quote.  Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup sounds great.  My alternate suggestion is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Strawberry Crisp (China New Year) as served on MS Prinsendam February 5 2019:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dishes05.jpg

Even the penguins were celebrating the year of the pig.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/chinese.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Mamaofami grieving loss of friend

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including ClippyJoe and HAL4NOW

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Successful surgery for Roger

cruisemom42 securing appointments for her parents

First jabs for richwmn

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, love the Daily Report.

I'll pass on bubble gum, but I may shower with my best friend.😉  A salute to all the weather forecasters.

Love the quote.

Both dinner suggestions sound great for a cold wintry day.  We've got snow and wind, a good day to stay home. 

The drink of the day sounds like a tasty dessert.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Happy Friday.  I love bubble gum.  Sometimes shower with a friend😊.  Our weatherman is great, right most of the time.  The quote is so spot on.  I used to laugh at the things my first grade students told me about what their parents would say.  The meal sounds super as does Roys.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Caramel Snickerdoodle Martini:

Caramel Snickerdoodle Martini Combines Your Favorite Drink And Cookie. caramel, warmed. 2 tbsp. cinnamon sugar. 1 c. heavy cream. 2 oz. Smirnoff Kissed Caramel. Pinch of ground cinnamon. Ice. Whipped cream, for garnish. Cinnamon sticks, for garnish.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 7.14.17 AM.png

• Like 21

Wow. Thanks, Rich. Best day ever- bubble gum day, shower with a friend. It’s my DH’s birthday so I will offer him this as a special treat.

Best of all will be breakfast- 

a Caramel Snickerdoodle Martini!

Ditto to Roy’s care list. Good thoughts go to all who can use some extra special good wishes today.

Will also add wishes for a covid vaccine speed up in the hopes that Alaska cruise season may have a brighter outlook for 2021.

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What an interesting combo of days to celebrate. Can’t wait to read the comments.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! @mamaofami, Carol hope your wonderful memories help ease the pain of your friend’s passing.

Love the quote & meal suggestion. Summer, that drink is definitely one for dessert. And even then it might be too sweet, and I am a fan of caramel.

Another quiet day for me. Hoping my door guru comes today, so I can start the process of replacing my French doors.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

This rosé from Provence has excellent ratings for all released vintages, and a decent price. I found many distributors with prices starting at $17.98. A bit of trivia: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are partners with the Perrin family who develop and bottle this wine. And who can resist a plump & fleshy wine?

Winemaker Notes

Pretty petal pink color with shiny undertones. This 2018 vintage instantly reminds of Provence with its beautiful aromas of fresh fruit and spring flowers. Airy and balanced, it delicately combines great freshness and complexity, and develops saline and mineral notes. Its long and intense finish is the signature of a rosé with incomparable elegance: Miraval.

Issued from the Château’s best parcels (Muriers, Longue, Romarin), and from selected parcels in the best terroirs of Provence. Clay & Limestone vineyard, partially in terraces located at an average of 1200 feet above sea level.

RP90 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: Bottled just a few weeks before my visit, Miraval's 2018 Cotes de Provence rosé was in fine form. A blend of 50% Grenache, 30% Cinsault, 10% Syrah and 10% Rolle, it boasts floral and melon aromas, while on the palate, it's medium-bodied, plump and fleshy, with a zesty, tangerine-tinged finish.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone.

I'm afraid if I showered with a friend it would be too great a shock to their system.   That will be put on hold for quite some time.  The quote is spot on.  I used to tell parents I would only believe 50% of what the kids said about them if they offered me the same.  Many worried faces over that one.

Today's soup recipe is a good one and there are many offered suggestions for variations to fit all tastes.  Next week would be a great one for soup here as we are getting our arctic chill.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/the-ultimate-chicken-noodle-soup/

Stay safe, everyone, and wear those masks!

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Ah, bubblegum - I remember getting it stuck in my hair (went to sleep with it in my mouth when I was 6), and my mom having to cut it out in the morning before school.  LOL  Haven't showered with a friend a while; hmmm.   Oh, the weathermen and weatherwomen - we blame them for everything, don't we?  Too hot!  Too cold!  Too dry!  Too wet!

The forecast for us for the weekend is c-o-l-d, with overnight temperatures dipping to -36C and -38C; with wind chill values, it will bring us well into the -40's.  With that in mind, I'm going ahead with @richwmn's suggestion of chicken noodle soup.  Paired with the rest of the buns I recently made, will make a hearty dinner for us tonight.  And wine.  Dessert will be leftover carrot cake.  Yum.

While looking at the recipe for Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup, can any of you tell me exactly what bay leaves do?  I don't think my palate can tell whether they've been put into a dish - stew or soup - or not.   I know they're supposed to be good for keeping bugs out of flour, but really, that's about it.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

Good morning.  Maybe the Ground Hogs are correct this year.  I just saw a Robin in our backyard which is not typical at this time of the year.  Maybe it knows that non essential travel is not advised and did not want to take any chances with a border crossing.   Or it wants to give me some hope for an early spring.  It sure looked healthy and well fed.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Rich thanks for the fleet update.  I loved your quote about children.  It is so true. One must be careful of what one says in frontof children. THEY DO REPEAT and it can be embarrising!   I look forward to seeing the Nieuw Statendam at Port Everglades.  Roy thanks for the care list.  Friends it is very cold here in Napervillle, IL.  I wish I was in Florida this week.  I hope all posters and viewers of the DAILY have a good day. 

• Like 11

Our September 2021 Alaska Cruise has not been cancelled but is iffy with the Canada announcement.

Seattle, Wash., Feb. 4, 2021 — We are disappointed to learn about Canada’s decision to extend the interim order that prohibits cruise ships from sailing in its waters and calling on Canadian ports through February 2022 (one year from now). This extension, if not amended as pandemic conditions improve, would require us to cancel our Alaska (West Coast) and Canada/New England (East Coast) cruise vacation seasons this year. Given the unexpected length of the order, it will take us some time to assess whether there are any options to preserve a portion of the 2021 Alaska season.  

• Like 8

Good morning! Thanks for the Daily.

A year ago at about this time we arrived at Port Everglades to board the Oosterdam. It was a beautiful day, much like it appears they are having today. We were so excited to be checking the Panama Canal off of our bucket list.

We took care of the most important thing first...

907943465_FirstBreadpudding.thumb.jpg.54da1d3c695fe66121bdd7510b7a8610.jpg

We then settled in and watched the Veendam lead Eurodam out to sea...

A.thumb.JPG.94e5126e95c1cb8b530168b2cfafd287.JPG

And then it was our turn...

B.thumb.JPG.c6b7828c65037bae54e0a7a8a136df50.JPG

We prefer to refer to this as our most recent cruise, rather than to say "our last", but if fate determines that it was indeed our last, we can say we enjoyed every minute of it. We still think very fondly of the crew of the Oosterdam who touched our lives over those 17 days and we hope and pray that they are all well and surviving this mess and with luck, we'll see them again. 

Stay safe and healthy and let's all walk a lap together on a promenade deck someday soon.

Lori & George

• Like 24

God morning everyone. Haven’t had bubble gum in years, but I loved it as a child. Think I’ll take a pass on showering with a friend. I do love chicken noodle soup, especially on a cold day.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words on the passing of my friend. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.We were 6 and now we are 4. Exactly the same with my very long term New Years Eve friends. We were 6 and now we are 4. We have reached an age where our friends are dying. Cherish your family and friends. They are rich relationships.

I did get to speak to the infectious disease doctor yesterday. He advised me to wait till we have more info on the side effects of the vaccine because CDC did report a case of Bells Palsey in Physer vaccine, but he strongly urged that DH get it because that would offer me some protection too. Now, if only we could find an appointment.

Double mask everyone.

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What an interesting combo of days to celebrate. Can’t wait to read the comments.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! @mamaofami, Carol hope your wonderful memories help ease the pain of your friend’s 

Thank you. We do have many happy memories. One of the funnier ones was a time when the guys were still in dental school and we had NO money. We went to a fancy restaurant where the women’s menu had no prices. We happily ordered , wine included, and laughed through the meal. When the bill arrived, we were stunned into silence. In those days there were no credit cards, at least none of us had any. I’m not sure how we managed to pay or why we were even there, but somehow we scraped the funds together or we’d have wound up washing dishes in the kitchen.

• Like 13
  • Haha 3