Vaccine passports ruled out for UK according to Daily Mail. GP's to provide proof.

ace2542

2 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I've had my vaccination. I was given a small card  with my name, NHS number, date and time of appointment, type of vaccine (Oxford Astrazeneca) and batch number. I have kept the card. Maybe that will be proof enough if needed.

I had my first vaccination last Saturday at a local health centre. On the way out I was given a NHS vaccination card as described above but without any of my personal details entered. I entered these myself after I got home, but could have easily entered someone else's should I have been so inclined. Not very secure, to say the least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

I cannot see how they can stop people without a vaccine travelling, Coronavirus is here forever, they are saying a yearly jab will probably be required, the Oxford vaccine is already compromised against the SA strain and is being reworked and ready by August so previous peoples jabs are much less effective.

So if a yearly jab is needed like the Flu to keep current protection how do you Vaccinate the whole population every year? It wont happen.

Need to learn to live with Coronavirus as we wont erradicate it.

The question is not whether the UK can stop unvaccinated people travelling, but whether other countries will let them in. Consider Yellow Fever. There are countries which require a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate as a condition of entry; no certificate, no admission. Whilst Covid19 is nowhere near as deadly as Yellow Fever, the same could apply in some countries in respect of it.

• Like 2

Yes i totally agree with this, i just struggle to see how a Virus thats going to keep mutating regardless all over the world and will compromise vaccines is going to be eradicated.

So how do you vaccinate every person constantly to go anywhere?

If last years vaccine is compromised and you could in theory get unwell or maybe transmit the disease more easily is that not as bad as not having had one at all? 

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

If last years vaccine is compromised and you could in theory get unwell or maybe transmit the disease more easily is that not as bad as not having had one at all? 

A new strain may make the current vaccines less effective, but the amount of immunity may be the difference between being ill or being hospitalised or dying. We will have to live with it in future years and nobody knows how it will pan out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

The amount of extra work the doctors would have to do would actually fall on the medical secretory who actually writes the notes gathers the information than passes it onto the doctor to sign, every time you get an hospital appointment blood test etc the medical secretory does it so think of the extra work that would fall on them. 

Not strictly true any more.  Many of the current systems are able to transcribe automatically dictated notes.  Saves a lot of time and within hospitals at its bottom line staff.

3 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Although I believe that the little card will be accepted as proof

Well my fathers little card has not been properly completed. For some reason it was not filled out when he had the second Pfizer. Not that we are going on Saga mind. I suppose he could head over there and try and get it back date completed.

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

My gut feeling (based on no facts at all) is that they will eventually provide a vaccine passport but not until the whole population has had an opportunity to be vaccinated.

If they do it now they exclude the younger groups from travel (and those who can’t have the current vaccine for health reasons). Not a vote winner for any government as people have long memories.

The  bigger issue is that the passports start to get used immediately to exclude people in other ways, everything from job interviews to restaurant bookings potentially. 

They are presumably going to have some in-depth policy discussions about what is reasonable for health and safety and what is illegal discrimination, that will all take time.

Right now the priority is getting people safe, the rest is perhaps for another day.

Seems a reasonable bet. But as I said in an earlier reply all the NHS data seems to indicate that only those with an extremely acute allergic reaction to vaccinations are likely to be in the medically exempt category, and I would guess this is a small group, probably with other medical conditions, some of which might make overseas holidays impossible anyway.

Despite ministers insisting there will be no vaccine passport apparently there is a row going on in cabinet about it, according to the Telegraph this morning.

Another thought is about travel insurance and what the insurance industry decide to do. Maybe proof of vaccine required as part of the conditions.

The bad news from South Africa this morning will add even more complication to the issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Seems a reasonable bet. But as I said in an earlier reply all the NHS data seems to indicate that only those with an extremely acute allergic reaction to vaccinations are likely to be in the medically exempt category, and I would guess this is a small group, probably with other medical conditions, some of which might make overseas holidays impossible anyway.

I agree John, longer term the numbers will be small as different types of vaccines roll out (and any capacity as well as physical issues are addressed). What concerns me is not holidays but all the other noise being made about what unvaccinated people apparently won’t be allowed to do. Some employers are already saying they will exclude job applicants for example.

If the majority get vaccinated then we should be able to live with and make reasonable adjustments for the small number of people who can’t be vaccinated. 

So far signs are very positive for reaching acceptable vaccination levels across the population, in fact the take up rate is much higher than was anticipated up here so far. We are slightly behind your vaccination programme but it is now picking up speed. (That said the snow is horrendous across a lot of the country at the moment, difficult for people to get the the centres which might slow it down again for a couple of days).

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I agree John, longer term the numbers will be small as different types of vaccines roll out (and any capacity as well as physical issues are addressed). What concerns me is not holidays but all the other noise being made about what unvaccinated people apparently won’t be allowed to do. Some employers are already saying they will exclude job applicants for example.

If the majority get vaccinated then we should be able to live with and make reasonable adjustments for the small number of people who can’t be vaccinated. 

So far signs are very positive for reaching acceptable vaccination levels across the population, in fact the take up rate is much higher than was anticipated up here so far. We are slightly behind your vaccination programme but it is now picking up speed. (That said the snow is horrendous across a lot of the country at the moment, difficult for people to get the the centres which might slow it down again for a couple of days).

I read this morning and I can't find the item that ministers believe the health and safety at work regulations may well allow companies to insist on their workers being vaccinated.

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I read this morning and I can't find the item that ministers believe the health and safety at work regulations may well allow companies to insist on their workers being vaccinated.

I saw that this morning, they are opening a real can of worms and I am sure some interesting debate on here.

Bosses can legally demand staff get vaccinated against Covid under health and safety laws | Daily Mail Online

20 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Not strictly true any more.  Many of the current systems are able to transcribe automatically dictated notes.  Saves a lot of time and within hospitals at its bottom line staff.

True but the bulk of the paperwork is done by the medical secretary 

21 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes probably but I’m sure they are also already busy enough. I don’t know of any who sit all day twiddling their thumbs 😀

You lost me who are twiddling there thumbs, medical secretary’s take the pressure of the paperwork off the doctors so they can concentrate on seeing patients.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

You lost me who are twiddling there thumbs, medical secretary’s take the pressure of the paperwork off the doctors so they can concentrate on seeing patients.

Yes I know, I was being complimentary as in they are busy people as well.

• Like 2

My vaccination card does not have my name on it at all.  It has the batch no., the date and the name of the vaccine.  There is nowhere to put my name, so a card like that would be totally useless.  The information will be held on my NHS records.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

True but the bulk of the paperwork is done by the medical secretary 

Not arguing for the sake of it. Honestly!  It really depends on if its primary or secondary care.  Most GP's that I am involved with do their own notes and referral letters at the time of consultantion.  Within secondary care locally the junior medics do their own letters, which are then signed off electronically by the consultants.  Large number of consultants still reply on dication followed by medical secretary however that is rapidly going down in numbers.

I know that not all areas have the same level of electonic notes but certainly there are hardly any paper notes around now for us.  The old notes have been scanned and are available electronically.

5 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Not arguing for the sake of it. Honestly!  It really depends on if its primary or secondary care.  Most GP's that I am involved with do their own notes and referral letters at the time of consultantion.  Within secondary care locally the junior medics do their own letters, which are then signed off electronically by the consultants.  Large number of consultants still reply on dication followed by medical secretary however that is rapidly going down in numbers.

I know that not all areas have the same level of electonic notes but certainly there are hardly any paper notes around now for us.  The old notes have been scanned and are available electronically.

I wish that was true I spent a fortnight transferring and photo copying notes for patients and putting them in small pockets who had transferred to the practice, the roll out of electronic notes is taking a very long time.

9 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Actually it depends on the surgery my wife’s a medical secretary she read what you wrote and smiled 

9 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I saw that this morning, they are opening a real can of worms and I am sure some interesting debate on here.

Bosses can legally demand staff get vaccinated against Covid under health and safety laws | Daily Mail Online

The employment lawyers & tribunals could be busy if employers try that one. Most personnel & HR websites believe that this would be very unlikely given there is no law making vaccines compulsory. Making the workplace safe for all would have to come top of the list before any action could be taken, too many workplaces not following the guidelines as they currently stand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

My vaccination card does not have my name on it at all.  It has the batch no., the date and the name of the vaccine.  There is nowhere to put my name, so a card like that would be totally useless.  The information will be held on my NHS records.

Your lucky mine had my first name plus the vaccine no and that was it

Just now, Bazrat said:

Your lucky mine had my first name plus the vaccine no and that was it

We both had our first jab at 5.40 this evening. The card we were given has the name of the vaccine and the batch number and date vaccine given, but above all that information it say,s, Name,as this line  was left blank,we filled in our own names

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

We both had our first jab at 5.40 this evening. The card we were given has the name of the vaccine and the batch number and date vaccine given, but above all that information it say,s, Name,as this line  was left blank,we filled in our own names

Glad you both had your jabs. I hope any side effects, are very mild or nonexistent.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Glad you got yours, Mercury. I know its been a hard year, hopefully this is the first step to brighter times. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Pleased to hear you both have had your first vaccine jabs.

Hopefully you have no side effects.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1