The Daily for Monday Feb 15, 2021

richwmn

today is President's Day (USA), Singles Awareness Day, and Shrove Monday

Steele's Plagiarism of Somebody's Philosophy:
    Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink.

Meal suggestion for today - Cranberry Maple Chicken

Drink of the Day - Mint Julep

Wine of the day - Involuntary Commitment 2018 Red (Columbia Valley (WA)) Columbia Valley

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/17
Westerdam

Baie De Sein
Oosterdam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Noordam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Volendam
Zaandam

0215Tor.thumb.png.190221fbbe7b3fefbaf70f894ee5553a.png

0215Baie.thumb.png.3ae9c2f7a3babcab5025d17f7adb24db.png

0215West.thumb.png.85556c93607efdf11515d4cffbd2c292.png

0215GSC.thumb.png.d199266724e1f4cb0db69680cf721aaa.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Here's a salute to our Presidents, especially Lincoln and Washington, and to the start of Lent.  Sadly, my former Sister In Law is now a single.  The quote is interesting and the meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Pork Piccata, and Mixed Berry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam February 15, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dishes15.jpg

Today's care list:

NextOne DH awaiting reconstruction

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

RIP D. Roger Ferguson

Seasick Sailor’s frineds

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

Himself in Florida

Megan and Harry

Vaccinators

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily.

Happy Presidents' Day.  It's Family Day here in Ontario. 

Love that quote.

The meal suggestions sound great.  But, we're going to have spare ribs, french fries and salad.  Oh, and wine too.🙂

Thanks for the maps.

Sending prayers to all on the care list.

• Like 18

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your lists.  I like the quote and the meal. 

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mint Julep:

Ingredients: 1 teaspoon Powdered sugar, 2 oz. Bourbon whiskey, 2 teaspoons Water, 4 Mint leaves
Preparation: In a highball glass gently muddle the mint, sugar and water. Fill the glass with cracked ice, add Bourbon and stir well until the glass is well frosted. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Mint sprig

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 7.17.03 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning.  Thanks for the updates.  Prayers and serenity for those who are suffering, a hearty handshake for those who are celebrating.

Singles Awareness Day - a shout out to our Solo Cruisers.    

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy President’s Day to our friends south of the border.  It’s Family day here in New Brunswick.  

Words of wisdom for Singles Awareness Day:

558F331B-02E8-4913-93A3-C02A613D0BBA.thumb.png.0a97062baa8f4d322b10882cc243eb1a.png

Shrove Monday - wow that means Lent is a week away.  One thing for sure, I won’t be giving up the Daily for Lent 😉 

I love Steele’s Philosophy - I definitely follow it 😂 

The meal suggestion sounds good.  I might just pull some chicken out of the freezer.  I need to make something that can be re-heated for tomorrow in case we lose power.

There’s a bad storm moving up the Atlantic Coast.  Too many people without power south of the border already and there will be a lot more.  For those in it’s path, hope you keep your power and stay safe and warm 🤞 

Word is that more vaccines are on the way for Canada - at least, they say they are.  A bit of Canadian humour on vaccines:

B4B81CBE-CC76-4D00-8A12-C184A1F32463.thumb.jpeg.8a3ab65d51be77477949d4e62f24b027.jpeg

How many times did we hear our parents say this (and use it ourselves)?:

3D65B2B9-37E8-4D2E-A615-048CF03C4DC2.jpeg.3a28baf038097239644f8b3994b9a5a1.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list along with special prayers for Roger & Roy & for those that need them.  And a big toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It has not been a good week with my brother's passing yesterday.  I debated on suspending the daily sunrises but I think I need them as much as anybody, and will plan to continue until I am admitted to the hospital.  Today's is from my 2020 World Cruise transferring from Crystal Serenity to QM2.  On February 15 Serenity was at sea from Fiji to New Zealand:

dawn0215.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Roy, I  am  so  sorry to  hear  about  the  sudden  passing  of your  brother. You  are  both  in  my  prayers during  this  difficult  time.  Thank  you  for  continuing the  sunrise  pictures. We  all  need  them.     Terry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday morning.  I hope all are well and staying warm.  We are hoping from a break from rain today but who knows.  I made a promise to myself during a severe drought in 2005 that I would never complain about rain again but this year is testing that promise!

• Like 18

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach. Hope it stays this way although it is supposed to be very rainy this week. Not complaining especially what others are dealing with at this time.

Roy-- I was very sad to hear of your brothers sudden passing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May all your good memories bring you peace. Take care of yourself.

Be safe and please continue to wear your masks.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

Roy, i was shocked to read of your brother's passing this morning.   I am sure it was a huge shock to you.  Please know that you have the love and caring of all of us here on the Daily.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sending you warm hugs across the miles.  

Nothing new from this end.  My house is probably the cleanest it has ever been.  My sister arrived safely yesterday evening in time for dinner.  We had one of Muzzy's Marvelous Meals:  Superb Stroganoff.  

Today's meal sounds good, but I thought the chicken looked a little underwhelming in the picture.  It is basically chicken with cranberry sauce on top.  I think I would have baked the chicken in the sauce for a bit.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-maple-chicken/

Cranberry-Maple-Chicken_EXPS_SDDJ19_32962_C07_13_6b-5.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another interesting group of days.

Roy bless you for keeping our lists. It is often the everyday tasks that help us through the grieving process.

Good Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Another murky morning here. Getting good Bindi walks in have been a bit challenging because of the rain & her hating to get wet. Love that quite. The meal sounds great, though I agree @dfish, Debbie that chicken almost looks dry in the pic. Have fun with your Sister! I will pass on the drink. Not a mint fan.

Today I return to my more “rambunctious” classes, since last week went well. Hoping to get back to normal, or at least normal for these days.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

This red blend has excellent ratings and is reasonably priced. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $18.99.  I had to look up what “neutral oak” meant. The simple layperson’s interpretation is that aging a wine in neutral oak results in little to no oak flavoring. The experts consensus is that this one is a steal. I might have to add this one to my list.

Winemaker Notes

This medium body wine exhibits a dark garnet color with a bouquet of dark fruit, herbs, earth and hints of tobacco. On the palate, flavors of cherry, red currants and spices shine through. This wine is fresh, youthful and ready to drink, though will cellar nicely through the next 5 years.

Wine Enthusiast

This side project from the folks at Andrew Will is consistently one of the best values in the state. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot, with coffee, cherry and savory herb aromas out front. The palate brings a sense of balance, intensity, depth, purity and sophistication. 

Score: 92, Sean Sullivan, April 1, 2020

Jeb Dunnuck

A field blend from multiple vineyards, the 2018 Columbia Valley Red Wine is 53% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Merlot, aged 11 months in neutral oak. It has a ripe, rounded, herbal style offering beautiful red plum and redcurrant fruits, leafy herbs, tobacco, violets, and cedar aromas and flavors. Medium to full-bodied, beautifully balanced, with silky tannins and a great finish, it's a smoking value to enjoy over the coming 5-8 years.

Score: 91, April 15, 2020
  • Like 25

Thank you Rich for the Daily. 

Roy you are in my prayers.

Good morning to my sensational sisters and fellow Dailyites. 

What a mess here in Texas. Went to bed with faucets dripping and cabinets open. Woke to no water and very cold in the house. Luckily while we were sleeping we lost power and came on a little bit ago. Sitting on a heating pad and sipping a hot coffee. Everything is covered in ice with a few inches of snow on top. Dangerous!

Praying for everyone who has come under this crazy weather blast!

Stay safe. Keep warm.

Prayers and Cheers, 

Joy

For you Jacqui:

image.png.713f2ccf19f0f78b5b6dd7ade95904ec.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!

We are so sorry about your brother, Roy. Hopefully it helps some to know that this community will be here to uplift you when you need it.

This morning it is -9, officially. Our thermometer here reads -4.5...thankfully we haven't lost power. Tonight it is supposed to drop to -13 and then begin a warming trend. As high as 50 in the next ten days! We have several inches of snow on the ground. Haven't rustled up enough interest to go out and measure.

Glad you will continue the sunrise pictures, Roy. We look forward to them every morning. 

Last year we enjoyed the sun rising over the shores of Guatemala.

12.thumb.JPG.7f40978d10d1309599c27020e467adc1.JPG

Stay safe and healthy, everyone. Have a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, while I don’t post on these daily updates I do read them most days. I thank-you for the quotes and meal planning ideas. This is one of my go to corners on Cruise Critic when I need a dose of positivity and humor.  With that being said, I wanted to jump in here to offer my condolences to Roy on the loss of his brother.  Your sunrise post sums things up nicely. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  You learn something new every day - today I learned "Shrove Monday".  I've always known Shrove Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday) as the day we have pancakes, but have never heard of Shrove Monday before.  We have always been aware of friends who were single (whether by choice or not), and have tried to include them in many aspects of our lives.

@dfishthank you for including photos of the daily meal suggestions; it helps to know what the finished product should look like.  I'm with you on this one, it looks a little underwhelming with just plopping cranberry sauce on top of chicken breasts.

For Valentine's Day we ordered take-out from our favourite Italian restaurant and had huge portions of 2 different types of penne.  DH's  Penne alla Campesino was with a curry pineapple chicken sauce, while mine (Penne alla Gigi) had proscuitto, peas and mushrooms in a blush sauce.  It came with extra sauteed garlic (again, no vampires last night!), focaccia bread, etc.,  We had so much food that we can easily have 2 more meals each from them, so that's what we'll be dining on tonight.  And wine.

I feel bad for those who are having such cold temps; friends in Temple, Tx are at +5 without power, and no generator.  At least if our power goes out, we have fireplaces and gas barbecues to help heat the house and make emergency meals/coffee.  The one thing we always make sure to do at the beginning of winter is fill up the propane gas tank on the bbq, because even though we don't usually cook on it, it serves as an emergency cooking source for us.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially for Roy and his dearly departed brother, Roger.  May God's love sustain you through the times to come.  Raising the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, keep well, stay warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily. 

Roy you are in my prayers.

Good morning to my sensational sisters and fellow Dailyites. 

What a mess here in Texas. Went to bed with faucets dripping and cabinets open. Woke to no water and very cold in the house. Luckily while we were sleeping we lost power and came on a little bit ago. Sitting on a heating pad and sipping a hot coffee. Everything is covered in ice with a few inches of snow on top. Dangerous!

Praying for everyone who has come under this crazy weather blast!

Stay safe. Keep warm.

Prayers and Cheers, 

Joy

For you Jacqui:

image.png.713f2ccf19f0f78b5b6dd7ade95904ec.png

This article was in our newspaper this weekend: 

“Things to do in the garden this week  Feb 14, 2021” along with this “Up to 9 inches of snow in St. Louis expected to accompany biting wind chills” 🤣

St Louis Sal

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning all, while I don’t post on these daily updates I do read them most days. I thank-you for the quotes and meal planning ideas. This is one of my go to corners on Cruise Critic when I need a dose of positivity and humor.  With that being said, I wanted to jump in here to offer my condolences to Roy on the loss of his brother.  Your sunrise post sums things up nicely. 

Welcome & thank you for popping in. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1