Adults only, at least for a while?

cruisestitch

14 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Right now children cannot get the vaccine. If Cruising starts up before a shot is approved for children, does that mean that there will be adults only Cruising for a while?

Interesting question.

If vaccinations are a requirement, I don't think children would be exempt since they can be exposed and transmit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

cruisestitch-  You asked on another thread and I answered it there.  But I will copy it here.

Very good question but really no answer about cruising.  Just speculation.  So here is mine.

Trials are being done right now for children in stages and progressively down in age (see link below).  First group is adolescents.  Studies will be careful and slow with a lot of safety data required to go to the next age group down. Not anything for infants/toddlers planned for quite some time.  So it is likely that for a year or two parents might need to cruise without kids in tow - or choose a different vacation.  All on the premise that vaccines will be required for cruising.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6532/874

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If cruiselines are faced with imposing capacity restrictions that don't naturally sort themselves due to low demand, I could see the likes of Royal/Carnival/NCL supporting a no minors policy for a while. Saying no <18 year olds on Celebrity/Princess/HAL would have very little material impact. 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think Celebrity certainly may be sailing adults only for awhile.  It will be interesting to see what Royal and Carnival do regarding vaccines as they normally sail with a lot more children, especially during the summer should cruises start again by then.

I'll be moving to Disney for awhile.  

• Like 1

Interesting question but studies have shown children under 10 transmit the virus considerably less than older children.  The studies for Pfizer are fully enrolled for 12 and up so safety and efficacy data will be available within 4 months.  They will be aggressively recruiting for 5 and up shortly.  We must remember that the major objective is to get kids back in school before the Fall and earlier if possible.  Cruise considerations are secondary.  We have a young son but will not likely cruise with him until mid 2022 when hopefully herd immunity will be established.  Until then, I would encourage others to get vaccinated so we can protect each other while trying to recover some semblance of normalcy.  Thank you.

• Like 3

I’ve had the Apex booked for April 2022 booked now for almost two years. This is for my family of four including my 11 and 13 year old daughters. We plan on being on board April of 2022. I got my first vaccination yesterday ..... I doubt the lines will want to exclude families from cruising on their ships. Kids may be exempt from a vaccine requirement unlike us adults. If kids can go to school in person now, they can go on a cruise ship in 2022 regardless of them getting vaccinated ..... Adults will be required of course is my belief. 

13 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'll be moving to Disney for awhile.  

Honestly what will Disney cruise line do if kids need to be vaccinated along with their parents to cruise?  It is a major part of their revenue unlike Celebrity.

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly what will Disney cruise line do if kids need to be vaccinated along with their parents to cruise?  It is a major part of their revenue unlike Celebrity.

Maybe they will switch to Always Included for awhile.  I'm sure that will help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Out of all the cruise lines Celebrity and Princess would be impacted the least by this anyways. Our last Celebrity sailing we saw maybe 3-4 kids under 16 the entire cruise.

The can resume cruising this summer. Just implement a vaccine requirement (by then a majority will have it in the US) and a PCR test within 3 days of the cruise as well as an instant Covid test before boarding the ship. This will weed out 99.9% of possible cases.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Out of all the cruise lines Celebrity and Princess would be impacted the least by this anyways. Our last Celebrity sailing we saw maybe 3-4 kids under 16 the entire cruise.

The can resume cruising this summer. Just implement a vaccine requirement (by then a majority will have it in the US) and a PCR test within 3 days of the cruise as well as an instant Covid test before boarding the ship. This will weed out 99.9% of possible cases.

Celebrity, Princess and HAL would be pretty much uneffected by a temporary age restriction. Sure there are few families with kids that book, but they are an outlier rather than the norm. RCG has said all along that a restart will be a phased process. In light of this, I could see some Celebrity ships getting the green light before Royal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Royal just announced their plan to shift the inaugural season on Odyssey from Rome to Israel if that is a little glimpse of what their intent is in relation to vaccine numbers. 

Yep, and this is clear as mud - so kids do get to go, or only vaccinated kids over 16? (these cruises are for Israeli residents only)

"Royal Caribbean will be the first to offer fully vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be vaccinated against COVID-19"

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Celebrity, Princess and HAL would be pretty much uneffected by a temporary age restriction. Sure there are few families with kids that book, but they are an outlier rather than the norm. RCG has said all along that a restart will be a phased process. In light of this, I could see some Celebrity ships getting the green light before Royal. 

True.  But largely because Alaska is cancelled (or will be).  Good number of children on =X= and Princess in June/July/August on Alaska sailings.

30 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Yep, and this is clear as mud - so kids do get to go, or only vaccinated kids over 16? (these cruises are for Israeli residents only)

"Royal Caribbean will be the first to offer fully vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be vaccinated against COVID-19"

More details coming.... 

However, since they explicitly call out 'guests above the age of 16' rather than 'all passengers' or something similar, I imagine they will allow kids on board. It it was adults only, I feel like that would be worthy to note in the announcement. 

I also wonder how they plan to get the crew fully vaccinated or if Israel has agreed to help with that process as well. Crew for one ship doesn't really amount to that many doses in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

16 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

More details coming.... 

However, since they explicitly call out 'guests above the age of 16' rather than 'all passengers' or something similar, I imagine they will allow kids on board. It it was adults only, I feel like that would be worthy to note in the announcement. 

I also wonder how they plan to get the crew fully vaccinated or if Israel has agreed to help with that process as well. Crew for one ship doesn't really amount to that many doses in the grand scheme of things. 

I am waiting to see what the CDC says about Vaccination requirements for cruising.  And if they outline age groups.

Oh,I would not be comfortable for anyone to be on board without a vaccine.  Children can transmit it and they also are less able to be socially distant.  Hopefully soon the vaccines are available to children so they can partake in these non-essential activities.    I wonder how one will prove that they had the vaccine?  Maybe something official on your passport?  What a mess

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am waiting to see what the CDC says about Vaccination requirements for cruising.  And if they outline age groups.

I can see it being difficult if cruising out of US to require vaccinations with people considering it discriminatory or invasion of privacy.  I don't agree and will only feel comfortable if 100% of passengers and staff are vaccinated, but I foresee legal troubles.  Perhaps the same in other countries. 

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This will be interesting to follow - at the moment, families can attend WDW or Universal Studios in Orlando without any vaccine requirement.  We went to Universal in October and we were perfectly safe - no one caught Covid, and are planning to go back in April.  IF the cruise lines are required as terms of starting up again, then they will have no choice - what will be interesting is if they are given some leeway in this regard.