What were people really wearing on evening chic nights before Covid?

njpln

Throwing a question out there about what people actually really wear on the so-called dressing nights.   We haven’t been on Celebrity since 2018.(how time flies…).  The last time we cruised hubby wore a blazer and trousers and I wore a nice dress on the dressy nights. Our previous cruises were all in the Caribbean with Celebrity...

Now we have rebooked and have three Celebrity cruises scheduled in 2022.  One is a Caribbean, and two are Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific. So I’m starting to wonder whether or not people dress up differently for Caribbean cruises versus the south pacific area cruises.  

There are so many threads about people not dressing up too much anymore, but I’d love to hear what people really see on the evening chic nights..

looking forward to your replies.

If you haven't seen it, this is the current dress code. No one should have any difficulty meeting the minimum requirement, and you will be fine with what you've worn previously.

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njpln said:

Throwing a question out there about what people actually really wear on the so-called dressing nights.   We haven’t been on Celebrity since 2018.(how time flies…).  The last time we cruised hubby wore a blazer and trousers and I wore a nice dress on the dressy nights. Our previous cruises were all in the Caribbean with Celebrity...

Now we have rebooked and have three Celebrity cruises scheduled in 2022.  One is a Caribbean, and two are Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific. So I’m starting to wonder whether or not people dress up differently for Caribbean cruises versus the south pacific area cruises.  

There are so many threads about people not dressing up too much anymore, but I’d love to hear what people really see on the evening chic nights..

What would be your preference? 

Keep in mind that the evening chic dress code only applies to the Main Dining Room. Don’t know where you are eating but Luminae, Blu and specialties are smart casual every night. Also dress codes don’t apply in the rest of the ship except theater but that hasn’t been enforced in years.

We last sailed on Celebrity a few months before the shutdown.  Caribbean cruise.  On the Chic nights DH wore a tuxedo; I wore a cocktail dress one night and a long Grecian column gown the other.  The other passengers ran the gamut, from polo shirt to similarly festive attire.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you haven't seen it, this is the current dress code. No one should have any difficulty meeting the minimum requirement, and you will be fine with what you've worn previously.

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

I guess they will have to update this dress code to include masks.  On Evening Chic night to you need a chic mask?  I am being somewhat facetious but there are all kinds of masks out there.  Some are more formal and chic than others.  Some are funny.  Some have sports teams (seem familiar?),  political statements, whatever.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Since we don't know exactly where we will be eating on most nights, we wear what we would on smart casual nights.

Plus, since any cruise we take is likely to be combined with much longer travel, we don't see the need to pack extra clothing for 2 or 3 nights out of 40 or 50, say. 

But that is the beauty of the current =X= dress code.  You can feel comfortable wearing anything from full blown formal evening wear to jacket and tie for guys and cocktail dress for gals or a collared polo shirt and dockers for men and nice slacks and top for women. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Keep in mind that the evening chic dress code only applies to the Main Dining Room. Don’t know where you are eating but Luminae, Blu and specialties are smart casual every night. Also dress codes don’t apply in the rest of the ship except theater but that hasn’t been enforced in years.

While you are correct about  the dress code in Luminae it has been my experience that in the Retreat and in Luminae many (at least 50%) of the men are wearing jackets, some with ties on chic nights.  This was in the Caribbean.   I would expect it to be less in Alaska and probably the same in Europe.   In general in my opinion people were dressed nicer than the general population.

Just my observations, no flames please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I guess they will have to update this dress code to include masks.  On Evening Chic night to you need a chic mask?  I am being somewhat facetious but there are all kinds of masks out there.  Some are more formal and chic than others.  Some are funny.  Some have sports teams (seem familiar?),  political statements, whatever.   

This is my personal choice for chic nights. It goes very well with my tux, and by plugging the nostrils is COVID compliant.

image.png.dca45e065e1d146c0c6d3f24887a14a6.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For Chic night or some specialty restaurants i wear a suit and French cuffs.  Other nights wear the pants and rotate dress shirts and ties, some nights no ties, some nights the jacket. I have spent my whole career in construction and we generally don't go out for fancy meals, so i dress up for myself. Don't tell my DW but I look way better than her. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This is my personal choice for chic nights. It goes very well with my tux, and by plugging the nostrils is COVID compliant.

image.png.dca45e065e1d146c0c6d3f24887a14a6.png

I guess a Goalie Mask won't count.  Too many air holes?

franklin-hockey-accessories-mini-mask-ottawa-senators.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, njpln said:

What u describe sounds  fine but maybe no need for the blazer..unless a special event and a   dressy dress not a cocktail dress.. lots of palazzo pants and sparkly or colorful  silky top.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I guess a Goalie Mask won't count.  Too many air holes?

franklin-hockey-accessories-mini-mask-ottawa-senators.jpg

The old Jacques Plante-style mask might have worked, but you're right, the modern style just won't cut it. 😷

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

While you are correct about  the dress code in Luminae it has been my experience that in the Retreat and in Luminae many (at least 50%) of the men are wearing jackets, some with ties on chic nights.  This was in the Caribbean.   I would expect it to be less in Alaska and probably the same in Europe.   In general in my opinion people were dressed nicer than the general population.

Just my observations, no flames please.

No flames, I wasn't giving an opinion, just stating a fact as information for the OP.

Edited by dkjretired

My DH and I still dressed up.  Made the evenings special.  No long gowns, but cocktail attire for me- and my DH a jacket , shirt and tie..  After covid we will also dress up!  Cannot wait to as I live in sweats and very casual attire now!  Of course, have to drop the covid 15 now or buy a new clothes!  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

DH, nice shirt and pants.   Me, usually a nice dress, skirt or cocktail pants.  Dressy top or tunic.  We like to look nice, pack light.  Keep it simple.  

Edited by Cachecara

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Just wear what I want and makes me feel comfortable, don't care what anyone else thinks.  Smart casual, whatever that means to you.  To me it is no jacket, suit coat etc

Agree. Way above my pay grade. We'll leave that up to the staff at the entrance to the MDR in the evening. In our opinion Celebrity's published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening are very clear, easily understood and simple to comply with, no matter what the evening is called. We're not interested in anyone's interpretation of Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines. We ran into that once on a RCI cruise entering the MDR for MTD and I didn't let the big mouth have the last word. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Personally (male) I wear a coat and open collar dress shirt in the evening regardless of venue (buffet- MDR- Luminae-specialty restaurant) and regardless of night (chic or whatever).  My wife is ALWAYS dressed nicer than I am (never formal)!  But that is just us, you may have different priorities.  Manner of dress is often an indicator of where your priorities are.

• Like 4