Fall or Later Restart in US

FLAHAM

Front page New York Times article today on US cruise industry issues concludes that cruises are unlikely to resume before fall or later.  Only positive point is that demand remains high.  

I guess it depends on where. Alaska is probably at least late fall if not Spring 2022. Everyone should be able to have the vaccine by end of June so I would feel comfortable booking an ex-US August cruise other than Alaska. We have an Iceland/Europe Cruise booked for end of August that I think is probably 50/50. 

• Like 1

Encore now shows zero cruises available to October.  It makes sense as she was supposed to be on West coast for Alaska cruises then returning through Panama Canal in late October.  (That cruise is showing sold out.)   

I remain somewhat hopeful for cruising  from East coast this fall🤞

Alaska cruises resuming - better plan on a whole different type of shore excursions !

Think Parkas Ski Boots Skies Iditarod Dog Sled Gear Thermal underwear and plenty

of batteries for those flashlights - diminishing returns on that Mid-night Sun.

Expect crowded Mexican Rivera Gulf and Caribbean cruises exclusive to those who

have been fully vaccinated - masking undetermined at this juncture.

Mediterranean cruises a changing act with each country and port having a different

set of medical requirements i.e. only those with type "O-" and having the AZ vaccine

will be able to visit Port "A"  those with type "A" and the Moderno can venture ashore

at Port "B" - - - 

Pull out and dust off that "Magic Crystal Ball" and don't forget that Oujia Board for

definitive up to date answers.

Are we there yet ?

Can we cruise now ?

Cruise lines are taking your MONEY and Reservations and MONEY - but then what ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sooner than later cruise lines take control

I think the cruise lines are fed up and tired of waiting on the CDC to issue the technical guidance to allow them to restart out of U.S. ports. They are giving the CDC "the double rods". I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival Corp. follow suit.

The cruise lines are sending a direct message to the CDC. By starting cruises in other ports, they are going to show that US ports are not going to be a requirement. It takes nothing to get flights into places. Infrastructure can be built. RCL will have the Bahamas and Barbados. It wouldn't take an insane amount to get it up and running at other places as well. 

• Like 4

I believe Alaska is out of the picture for 2021...mainly because Canada is in a state of chaos when it comes to COVID and vaccine roll outs.  

Unless there's a roll back of the U.S. laws requiring a stop over in a foreign port (Canada) for the Alaska cruises, I can't see any of them, with any major cruise line, happening in 2021.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Front page New York Times article today on US cruise industry issues concludes that cruises are unlikely to resume before fall or later.  Only positive point is that demand remains high.  

Was that the Friday or Saturday Edition.  I went looking for that story in the New York Times and couldn't find it.  I get the daily and weekend digital edition.

8 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I think the cruise lines are fed up and tired of waiting on the CDC to issue the technical guidance to allow them to restart out of U.S. ports. They are giving the CDC "the double rods". I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival Corp. follow suit.

I don't think it's just the cruise lines who are fed up.   It's many Americans.   And every day there are 2+million people getting vaccinated who feel safe and quickly add to those numbers. 

You can add  me to the numbers.   I'm pretty middle of the road.  I don't like masks but I wear them.  I try to limit my activities that case exposure.   However,  I've had one dose of Moderna, 2nd scheduled and have 2 cruises and 3 smaller trips booked for after I'm fully vaccinated.   I believe many people feel the same way I do and life will return to normal far faster than the government expects or wants. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Sounds like a threat.  And really what can the cruise lines do.  Sail anyway.  You all are not cruising for a while.  And even when it happens it will be under limitations.  I'm still puzzled on how the cruise lines will handle the elevators,  Will they all be monitored?  Allowed by only with a disability?  And family members?  14 floors and higher.  I do not and cannot do stairs.  Looks like I might not be cruising longer than most.  I think I can survive.  I have a life. 

Good luck to all who have FCC.✌️

18 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Sounds like a threat.  And really what can the cruise lines do.  Sail anyway.  You all are not cruising for a while.  And even when it happens it will be under limitations. 

By no means a threat, just my opinion. "Sail anyway" <- exactly what a few of the cruise lines (Crystal, RCL & Celebrity) are doing by home porting their ships in Nassau & St. Maarten, out of the CDC's jurisdiction. I optimistically disagree with your last 2 sentences. The aforementioned cruises will be in summer of 2021 (albeit at reduced capacity and with vaccinations required of all crew & all passengers 18 & over). With all crew & passengers (18+) vaccinated, it will be interesting to see if masks will still be required (hope not).

Edited by farmersfight

2 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

By no means a threat, just my opinion. "Sail anyway" <- exactly what a few of the cruise lines (Crystal, RCL & Celebrity) are doing by home porting their ships in Nassau & St. Maarten, out of the CDC's jurisdiction. I optimistically disagree with your last 2 sentences. The aforementioned cruises will be in summer of 2021 (albeit at reduced capacity and with vaccinations required of all crew & all passengers 18 & over). With all crew & passengers (18+) vaccinated, it will be interesting to see if masks will still be required (hope not).

Like you said just your opinion.  Are you booked on one of those Crystal, RCL or Celebrity cruises?  Are those the places you really want to go?  I want to go to ALASKA.  I will wait and go where I want to go.  And optimism and hope only go so far.

I'm just glad I do not have a FCC and have to HOPE to use it.✌️

8 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Like you said just your opinion.  Are you booked on one of those Crystal, RCL or Celebrity cruises?  Are those the places you really want to go?  I want to go to ALASKA.  I will wait and go where I want to go.  And optimism and hope only go so far.

I'm just glad I do not have a FCC and have to HOPE to use it.✌️

Thanks (I'm glad I'm entitled to an opinion). No, not booked on the Crystal, RCL or Celebrity cruises. I would have no problem cruising around and doing port calls in the Bahamas and would especially have no problem doing 2 days at RCL's private island, CocoCay. Good for you, you wait and go where you want to go. And pessimism and despair can go farther than you'd like (if you let them). I don't have any FCC either, so I don't have to HOPE to use it. ✌️

19 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

You can add  me to the numbers.   I'm pretty middle of the road.  I don't like masks but I wear them.  I try to limit my activities that case exposure.   However,  I've had one dose of Moderna, 2nd scheduled and have 2 cruises and 3 smaller trips booked for after I'm fully vaccinated. 

Once you are fully vaccinated, you won't have to wear the mask, right?  

13 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Sounds like a threat.  And really what can the cruise lines do.  Sail anyway.  You all are not cruising for a while.  And even when it happens it will be under limitations.  I'm still puzzled on how the cruise lines will handle the elevators,  Will they all be monitored?  Allowed by only with a disability?  And family members?  14 floors and higher.  I do not and cannot do stairs.  Looks like I might not be cruising longer than most.  I think I can survive.  I have a life. 

Good luck to all who have FCC.✌️

How are they controlling groups of non related family? I travel with my cruise buddies, so are we then not allowed to be together? 

The dynamics are all too confusing.

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Once you are fully vaccinated, you won't have to wear the mask, right?  

Not yet. CDC Guidelines... 

Fully vaccinated people engaging in social activities in public settings like gyms, offices, restaurants and stores must take proper precautions. Regardless of your vaccination status, you must wear a face mask, maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance from others, avoid crowds and avoid poorly ventilated spaces. The CDC also advises against unnecessary travel, as well as medium- and large-sized gatherings.

Vaccinated people can, however, socialize with other vaccinated people in private settings like homes, as well as with unvaccinated people who are at low risk of severe Covid-19. The CDC states that the level of precautions taken should be determined by the characteristics of unvaccinated people since they’re unprotected against the coronavirus — in other words, determine necessary safety measures based on the least safe person in the room.

Officials in Miami have declared a state of emergency after huge crowds gathered on beaches to celebrate spring break.
We have the same problem in London, and we are in lockdown, looking like forever now!!