The Daily for Wednesday Mar 31, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@kazuthe number of your seedlings is amazing!!  I wish I had sunny windows, but alas have only one that gets sun.  So I just have some Cosmos and Sweet Peas started -- will see how they do. Have never grown Cosmos from seed, Sweet Peas many times

Cosmos do quite well especially if you put them in a compostable little post (peat or coconut fibre) that can be inserted in the garden.  They can grow right through them 

I am about to start my cosmos and sweet peas in a bit.  I have to time it so the sweet peas aren’t too big and don’t need much support until it’s time to climb.  And, our season is late.

I WISH I had more sunny windows.  Luckily begonias don’t need too much light so they get the darker spot.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

That's how I have them, fingers crossed!  I love Cosmos.

Me too.  You should be fine if you’ve done that.  🤞 for both of us 😉 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  

We haven’t been to the Canary Islands, but one of my friends moved there a couple of years ago, so will visit one day!  

I love, love Paris, and have been blessed to visit several times!  We managed to be there one New Year’s Eve and the Eiffel Tower fireworks were exquisite!  I had asked our hotel owner if there were fireworks, and was told Of course Madame, this is Paris!    The last visit we went up the tower just after a thunder storm, and I remember being quite nervous as the storm had just passed!  

A shout out to a Canadian  rye whiskey made in Alberta:

A smooth, Canadian whisky made in Calgary has been named best in the world by the prestigious Jim Murray'sWhisky Bible. 'Alberta Premium Cask Strength' produced by Calgary-based Alberta Distillers, was named 'World Whisky of the Year,' by Murray in his Whisky Bible 2021.

314717EA-22A4-4A38-9438-9AF953A7CAED.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22

Good day to you all.  I appreciate all the congratulations we received yesterday on our anniversary and those who mentioned they enjoyed the "back story".  There is a little more to it:  We were married by Father Walter Morse, SSJE when he was 71.  He had been a missionary in China since 1937 and came to Taiwan in 1953.  SSJE members take a vow of chastity, poverty and obedience.  He held church services in a chapel of a Presbyterian theological seminary and lived in a small house he built on Grass Mountain.  He set up a soup kitchen in the courtyard of a Taoist temple in downtown Taipei to feed the hungry and clothe the cold.  I attended services at his church.  Anyway, we went to see him about getting married.  He spoke to Sara for some time in Chinese and then said to me "I am sorry, I can't just marry you - she is a heathen"  I asked him what that meant (I thought it meant savage) and he said  "I can only marry Christians, and she is Buddhist.  However, she says she would like to become a Christian.  So what we will do is have a baptism followed by the marriage ceremony."  So we did that, followed by a Chinese style wedding reception with all of our Western and Chinese friends attending.

Father Morse never retired from SSJE (Society of St John the Evangelist) and eventually the President of the Republic of China gave him a home and a servant to help him in his old age in recognition of the service he had provided to China during the Japanese invasion of the mainland in the 30's and 40's.  Whenever I hear of someone called a "true Christian", I think of Father Morse.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I've been away from here for a bit -- I've been busy getting DH settled back home. Also busy scheduling in-home PT, OT, and visiting nurse. It's a circus around here!

Had a Sazerac on my first visit to New Orleans -- not a fan, I'm afraid!

My only visit to Paris was back in 1969 with a group of students.  Didn't get to the Eiffel Tower, but I DID get my first kiss by the Seine! Don't know what ever happened to the boy, but I cherish the memory!

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  

We haven’t been to the Canary Islands, but one of my friends moved there a couple of years ago, so will visit one day!  

I love, love Paris, and have been blessed to visit several times!  We managed to be there one New Year’s Eve and the Eiffel Tower fireworks were exquisite!  I had asked our hotel owner if there were fireworks, and was told Of course Madame, this is Paris!    The last visit we went up the tower just after a thunder storm, and I remember being quite nervous as the storm had just passed!  

A shout out to a Canadian  rye whiskey made in Alberta:

A smooth, Canadian whisky made in Calgary has been named best in the world by the prestigious Jim Murray'sWhisky Bible. 'Alberta Premium Cask Strength' produced by Calgary-based Alberta Distillers, was named 'World Whisky of the Year,' by Murray in his Whisky Bible 2021.

314717EA-22A4-4A38-9438-9AF953A7CAED.jpeg

Good whiskey, I can attest to that 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Good day to you all.  I appreciate all the congratulations we received yesterday on our anniversary and those who mentioned they enjoyed the "back story".  There is a little more to it:  We were married by Father Walter Morse, SSJE when he was 71.  He had been a missionary in China since 1937 and came to Taiwan in 1953.  SSJE members take a vow of chastity, poverty and obedience.  He held church services in a chapel of a Presbyterian theological seminary and lived in a small house he built on Grass Mountain.  He set up a soup kitchen in the courtyard of a Taoist temple in downtown Taipei to feed the hungry and clothe the cold.  I attended services at his church.  Anyway, we went to see him about getting married.  He spoke to Sara for some time in Chinese and then said to me "I am sorry, I can't just marry you - she is a heathen"  I asked him what that meant (I thought it meant savage) and he said  "I can only marry Christians, and she is Buddhist.  However, she says she would like to become a Christian.  So what we will do is have a baptism followed by the marriage ceremony."  So we did that, followed by a Chinese style wedding reception with all of our Western and Chinese friends attending.

Father Morse never retired from SSJE (Society of St John the Evangelist) and eventually the President of the Republic of China gave him a home and a servant to help him in his old age in recognition of the service he had provided to China during the Japanese invasion of the mainland in the 30's and 40's.  Whenever I hear of someone called a "true Christian", I think of Father Morse.

Thanks for the rest of the story. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for your beautiful pictures.  There's a lot to see and do there.  Going up to the mountain and riding the gondola sounds like fun.

It was fun riding the gondola to the top.  We spent quite awhile there, and I have lots more pictures, but mainly they are variations of the same type scenery.  After seeing your pictures, I'm thinking if we ever get back there, we may stay in town and explore it more.  It's difficult to explore a city by car.

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

What a wonderful story with a great solution to a dilemma.  Father Morse sounds like a wonderful and compassionate man.

• Like 8

I am feeling a bit listless and "headachy" today; presumably a result of yesterday's Moderna shot. 

While sitting in the sunroom gazing at the lake with this morning's coffee, I spotted a Loon swimming about. There were also 8-10 swans by the far shore. Since it is below freezing right today, I will wait to go out on a photographic expedition. 

I do like Sazeracs and make them at home on occasion. What else am I to do with a bottle of Absinthe?! 

Today in 2018 we were halfway to Europe on a glass-like Atlantic ocean. Today in 2019 we were in Castries, Saint Lucia - 

DSC_0984.thumb.JPG.3933e621d1d077f2a558b5d55efab051.JPG

76545731_DSCF0414(2).thumb.JPG.9e1d7d1810d5f164243576c0224fa4a4.JPG

DSC_0983.thumb.JPG.a7817340ce258e443ed05a66d9bd9153.JPGDSC_1005.thumb.JPG.58c14071f7c4c859d8a47d06c190a15a.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
punctuation
  • Like 20

Now that those pesky morning chores are out of the way, I can comment further on the days.  While I like to dance, i never considered entering a dance marathon even if they still had them by the time I learned to dance  Once the DDs left home, the crayons disappeared from the house.  Yes, I always wanted the 64 count box, but usually got the smaller ones.

We just watched a short segment of the tv show "Through the Decades" on the Eiffel Tower.  While construction was completed on March 15, 1889, it was officially opened on March 31, 1889, as the entrance to the 1889 Worlds Fair.  

We have been to Paris twice when cruises docked in La Havre.  in 2004, the old Noordam over nighted in La Havre.  We took the train to Paris the first day, since we would have more time.   That was when we went up in the Eiffel Tower.   DH went all the way to the top, but I chickened out and stopped at the middle level and waited for him there.  Heights and I don't always agree, and as we stood in line to get our tickets, I kept looking up at the tower and my hands kept getting sweatier.  Actually, there are two levels at the middle stop, so I had plenty to do and see.

I'll add a couple more pictures of the tower.  The second one was taken looking up from the middle level.

IMG_3486.thumb.JPG.a37491c5562ef33fa787b7f8d6069dce.JPGIMG_3554.thumb.JPG.a1ff854e773867d6093b094b5c5b6a66.JPG

@kazu Now I know who got my green thumb,  🤣  I love flowers and plants, but have to plant things that do well by themselves; otherwise I would be accused of mass plant murder or at the very least cruelty to plants.  I greatly admire anyone who has a garden like the one you shared with us last summer.

@mamaofami Glad that your DH had such a mild reaction to his second jab.

@ger_77  Congratulations on your appointment for the first jab.  While we enjoyed seeing Paris twice and would go again if the opportunity presented itself, it is not close to our favorite European city.

@lindaler  Hate the news about wild fires anytime, it just seems too early in the year.  I hope they can contain them soon, and you are not in any danger.

@NextOne I know you are glad and relieved that your DH is finally home even if it was hectic getting everything arranged.

Great news that the Pfizer vaccine seems to work for younger teens.  With the numbers rising, please continue to practice safe distancing and wear your masks.

Lenda

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Another good trio of days. I'm an Eiffel Tower fan (and Notre Dame Cathedral).

Nice meal but I have to watch my sodium, so not eating too much ham lately.

I haven't been to today's port.

It's chilly and rainy today, with some snow overnight. Down in the 20's Friday AM.

PA is opening up to 1B 4/5, 1C 4/12 and all over 16 4/19. Also today they added law enforcement, firefighters, and grocery workers. Good, because our numbers are going up, especially on college campuses.

@cat shepard I have to laugh at the wine price tag. Yesterday I got an email from our PA wine and Liquors (state run) about some rare wines. I think prices started at $300 and went to over $1000!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your masks!

In Paris just after the turn of the Millenium

1601020187_20-EiffelTowerLitfor2000.JPG.e4f2cccce69277bc68c77e70f3aa7897.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22

Good Afternoon Dailyites! As always, your observations, menus, photos/cartoons bring smiles to this reader's face. Thank you all.

I didn't so much as glance at yesterday's Daily, so I had some catching up to do today, LOL!

Firstly, I am a firm believer in Audrey Hepburn's quip: Paris is always a good idea. And I appreciate it more with age and each visit. We look forward to visiting again.

Yesterday, we were out the door before 4:30 am. We were Election Officers for a local race and the preparation of the precinct starts at 5:00 am; polls open at 6:00 am, close at 7:00 pm; with breaking down the space, reporting the results, etc., after that. We returned home at around 8:30 pm. Thankfully, warmed up leftover cassoulet hit the spot. Especially when accompanied by a little wine. Needless to say, we slept fitfully last night.

The upside to being a volunteer at an election is the opportunity to interact with a wide range of people from your community. We learn a lot each time we do this. Not so appealing is that as an official of election, one has to listen to disparaging (and frequently untruthful) comments about how elections are run or worse. As we reflected this morning about yesterday, we talked about working in customer service. We suspect that people rarely call that 800 number or hit the Contact Us button on a website to express how happy they are with that company's goods and/or services. We immediately thought of the HAL employees who work in Guest Relations on board the ships. We've all seen those lines. No matter how preposterous the comment or request, each and every one has to be listened to and considered. We only gave one or two days a year to this. These employees at HAL do it every day for months at a time. Amazing.

Thank you all again. Perhaps, as vaccination rates increase and if we continue with social distancing, hand washing, and mask wearing, we can board a Blue Hulled Beauty sooner.

-Cat

• Like 19

Good afternoon here in Vancouver, WA!!  March is going out like a lamb..should almost get to 70 degrees here today.  Will cool off tomorrow but we will take the sun and a bit of heat!

Never been to the port of the day.  Pictures show a wonderful stop.  Maybe someday.

Been to Paris twice.  Both land trips.  Visiting the Eiffel tower is a wonderful experience.  Went up once at night.  Will always remember that view.

Thanks for all the updates and news.  Prayers and toasts to all.

• Like 14

I have been to Tenerife twice on Transatlantics, Celebrity Solstice in 2012 and Wind Star in 2014,  The photos I would have posted are similar to the Mercado entry posted by @StLouisCruisers and the peak over the clouds posted by @surfcitygirl.  I will include my version of the one above the clouds.

volcano-751902.jpg

Roy

• Like 25

Good afternoon everyone!  I have been busy booking a trip to Las Vegas!  So excited, and on a PLANE!  Yay!  We scheduled for 2 weeks after our last vaccinations and I am so excited to JUST be going somewhere other than around my house.  I don't care that I have to wear a mask in public, I am happy to be planning something.

Thank you for the Daily Rich!  And, as always, thank you for your lists Roy. 

I am loving all the pictures of the Eiffel Tower today!  If I ever make it to Paris I would love to see it at night, but I would probably never be able to go up due to my height phobia.  The closest I've been is the Eiffel Tower at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas, fun but just not the same I'm sure.  I've never been in a Dance Marathon but just as @ger_77said the movie They Shoot Horses, Don't They with Jane Fonda always reminds me of them.  Crayons are still in my house because my 13 yr old DGD loves to draw and uses them along with markers.

The meal suggestion sounded so very good until I saw that it was a pasta dish, sorry.... not for me.  I love ham, I love asparagus, but not together with pasta.  We are going to skip Easter Sunday meal with our family (due to not getting our final vaccines yet) and get together a few weeks later for our DD 40th (yikes, how did that happen?) birthday and I am considering ham and asparagus in some form.  She has requested German Chocolate Cake so the meal has to be something not too complicated. 

I think the drink of the day would put me under.  And we have not been to today's port, I'm loving all the pictures!

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon

Edited by Sharon in AZ
grammar
  • Like 17

We’ve been to Tenerife three times - 2008, 2012 and 2019, all on Transatlantic cruises on Rotterdam VI.  Each time we visited sites away from the port and it was nice to see some pictures of what we missed!

• Like 11

@Sharon in AZ  While I don’t have a height phobia, under some circumstances heights do bother me, which is why I did not go all the way to the top level of the Eiffel Tower. The middle and lower levels are wide, very solid floors, and I did not have any problems on them.

If you make it to Paris, only you can decide if you would be comfortable on one of those levels.  I just wanted to give you a prospective from the viewpoint of someone who can be bothered by heights.

Congratulations on booking a trip to Las Vegas.  We’re booked for the week before  Thanksgiving, but we’ll be driving fromQuartzsite.

Lenda

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

If I ever make it to Paris I would love to see it at night, but I would probably never be able to go up due to my height phobia. 

We didn’t go up when we were there.  The lines were humongous and I had no desire. We just enjoyed seeing it and revelled in the atmosphere.  That was more than enough for me (I don’t care for certain heights either 😉 ) nor standing in long lines 😉 

• Like 6

I hate heights, but am ok in some circumstances -- the Eiffel Tower being one of them.  Most of my fear is of going up fast (or worse, coming down fast) as in airplanes.

Here's a night-time view from the Eiffel Tower the one time we went up to the top.

385545028_Nightview.thumb.JPG.8a1bb742983283b3f5bafe2ced8bfbd1.JPG

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I hate heights, but am ok in some circumstances -- the Eiffel Tower being one of them.  Most of my fear is of going up fast (or worse, coming down fast) as in airplanes.

Here's a night-time view from the Eiffel Tower the one time we went up to the top.

385545028_Nightview.thumb.JPG.8a1bb742983283b3f5bafe2ced8bfbd1.JPG

Wonderful picture of a magic city. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 8

DW and I have just received our 1st jab and the " choice of the day "  in the Community Center was the Moderna while DMIL  a couple of weeks ago at the same place received the Pfizer vaccine . We will have to wait for our second shot until July 21st so that as many Canadians as possible get vaccinated  faster , as per the experts !  So we should be ready to go on the Premier cruise of the Rotterdam ! ( as long as she and Europe is ready ! )

We have been a few times to Paris and climbed the Eiffel tower . The first time was as a teenager when my buddy and I biked from The Hague to Paris a round trip of about 1600 km's ( a thousand miles ) .     A lot of years later we made a road trip with friends through Europe by car and went up again . We first went to the second level and when we arrived there my good friend said  " This thing is moving " ...and refused to go to the edge  or higher to look at the amazing sight all around while DW and I went to the third level to the top on a creaking elevator and took our time to take the view all in and I have been back a couple more times since.

Best time I find to start to go up is about an hour and a half before sunset so you can see all of the famous points in Paris , all of the traffic on the Seine and near the  "Arc de Triomphe " and than slowly the dark sets in and all of the lights go on which is a whole different experience .

Tony 😀

• Like 15