Question about Edge

trtog7

4 minutes ago, trtog7 said:

If you are used to cruising on small ships, would you enjoy cruising on Edge or would you find it overwhelming?

Depends on what you consider "small ships."

Some people consider Celebrity M class or Royal Radiance class "small."

I don't consider any ship over 1000 pax as small, e.g. 

I would sail on S class over E class.  I also enjoy the smaller ships.  On E class they took out a bunch of the smaller quieter public places and consolidated them into fewer larger public places.  They also took out the Sky Lounge.  S class was great.  E class is designed for younger cruisers.  It is shiny and new but lacks function.

E class is towards the bottom of my list.  E class was the ship that helped me learn that I do like the smaller ships.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

We like medium to large ships and found Edge the perfect match for us. We loved everything about her, everyone enjoys different things so you may just have to try her and see. I am lucky to say after 35 cruises I never sailed a ship I didn't like 😉

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sailing the ocean blue said:

Adding my opinion I all so do not like the E class not so much for it size but for the fact that i like real balconies  not those considered virtual ones . For those who have been on the Edge did you use the Magic Carpet and how did you like it

The magic carpet was good for tendering,  but when the ship was moving was rather windy.

Edited by NMTraveller

I did not feel that there were too many people on the Edge.

It is a WOW ship. 

Some don't like it.

We enjoyed it.

We enjoyed the old Zenith, which was quite small. We enjoyed the M class when the ships were new. We enjoy the S class. I guess we enjoy them all!

You should try it for yourself.

Have fun planning!

• Like 2

We will not sail on the large ships with water slides, zip lines, climbing walls too many people and kids.  On the other end of the spectrum a small ship (less than 1500 passengers) is not our preference.  Less dining choices, less entertainment, less to do onboard.  

We liked the Edge and are booked on the Apex, we love the S Class ships.

• Like 1

One aspect I think I see on all Celebrity class ships is even though they are relatively large, the common areas are well designed and I didn’t feel any real crowding in any of them. Enjoyed Edge and found fun open places to play cards and meet friends. And just numbers of passengers isn’t a great measure. A small ship with a relatively small passenger number can still be crowded in it’s common areas.

Similar sized larger ships vary in how they are designed to handle their passenger load. For example, as I said, I find Celebrity well designed for the number of passengers, but with Princess which is a nice Line, the 3 ships I’ve been on felt much more crowded in the common areas. the theaters were too small and the lounges weren’t well designed in my very non-expert opinion. I couldn’t find a nice place to relax as easily as I did on Edge and other Celebrity class ships.

As the saying goes, size is a matter of opinion. Yup, you have 2,000 people on your ship and getting on and off can be more colorful than a small ship. But I found Edge and looking forward to Apex being well designed overall onboard and found many places to relax and enjoy. But I don’t demand a poolside lounge which is always an issue on most any ship.

Den

For e

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

One aspect I think I see on all Celebrity class ships is even though they are relatively large, the common areas are well designed and I didn’t feel any real crowding in any of them. Enjoyed Edge and found fun open places to play cards and meet friends. And just numbers of passengers isn’t a great measure. A small ship with a relatively small passenger number can still be crowded in it’s common areas.

Similar sized larger ships vary in how they are designed to handle their passenger load. For example, as I said, I find Celebrity well designed for the number of passengers, but with Princess which is a nice Line, the 3 ships I’ve been on felt much more crowded in the common areas. the theaters were too small and the lounges weren’t well designed in my very non-expert opinion. I couldn’t find a nice place to relax as easily as I did on Edge and other Celebrity class ships.

As the saying goes, size is a matter of opinion. Yup, you have 2,000 people on your ship and getting on and off can be more colorful than a small ship. But I found Edge and looking forward to Apex being well designed overall onboard and found many places to relax and enjoy. But I don’t demand a poolside lounge which is always an issue on most any ship.

Den

For e

There is IMO something special and unique about Edge and no doubt Celebrity will have upped the game even further on Apex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just made some very general comments above, so I’ll give you an example of what I enjoyed on Edge pertaining to numbers.

Edge has 4 main dining venues for the majority of passengers (those not Suite and Aqua who have their own dining venues) which are much more well designed to handle their numbers than any other approach I’ve seen on larger ships. Less crowded and not nearly as noisy. I have issues with the classic main dining with two levels with all the noise coming up from the larger dining area and just the ‘bigness’ of the dining areas.

We love sitting and talking with fellow cruisers and playing cards/games. We found a number of very convient areas to do so on Edge. One of our favorites was the walkways off Eden lounge and in the lounge prior to major ‘drinking/non-show times’!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

We didn't find the Edge overwhelming.  First, many quiet places.  If you are nervous, consider a sky suite.  You will have access to the Suite deck, restaurant and lounge- all are like a private oasis.

Overall, we didn't find the ship overwhelming.  However, we love the Royal Oasis class ships-  Some might find them overwhelming-  We love choice of restaurants and activities.

Generally we liked the Edge except its elevator capacity is too small for number of passengers. So lots of waiting for crowded elevators. Not sure how comfortable I will be in this post pandemic world..no social distancing practical with need to either crowd elevators or wait even longer if numbers of folks using them at same time are limited. That being said, we do have an Apex cruised scheduled for April of 2022, as we like most other aspects of the Edge class design.

Here's the thing: for lots of Celebrity passengers, the Edge is too shiny. There's still the great Celebrity food and service, expanded and incredibly improved entertainment, standard balcony staterooms that are huge for a ship built in the last 10 years, etc. But they still can't get over the fact that there's no sliding door to the balcony, or that the martini bar is in a new spot, or that there's four smaller MDRs instead of one big one. 

We've sailed on all classes of Celebrity ships now sailing. The M-Class is great for a "smaller" experience, and the recent refurbs have been nothing short of astounding. We love the S-Class: the space for Blu is incredible, and we fell in love with the lawn, which made our entire trip like a lazy afternoon drinking in Central Park. The issue became that in many ways, the Solstice class was just a sized-up Millennium class. Instead of just making Edge a bigger Solstice, they innovated. 

The Edge has amazing (AMAZING) spaces. The pool is spectacular, with so much glass and a huge  splash zone made for lounging. The Magic Carpet is an incredible feature to just hang around in during the day with a drink and a book. The buffet is a revelation, with one side just filled with double-height windows. There's also a ton of quiet places: Eden is often abandoned during the day, and is light-filled and quiet. Lots of nooks to spend time in thorough the ship.

We never found the Edge overwhelming, in fact we found the S-class to be much more "cavernous" around the grand foyer and elevator atrium. Celebrity has done a great job of breaking up the space on the E-class so that it never feels like too much. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am not a huge fan of the Edge, but my wife loved it.

The size of the ship was not an issue.  The ship is designed to handle the large number of guests without feeling crowded. This goes for everything from entertainment to the ice cream bar to the various shopping areas.  And for our cruise, the ship was pretty full.

The multiple dining rooms worked very well to keep them uncrowded and smoothly flowing.  We were Aqua, so we had Blu in addition to the main dining rooms.  We ate kind of late, and we had very few waits.  I don't know how long the waits were for others who might have gone to dinner without reservations and/or at more popular hours.

I like a balcony.  The Edge was my first-non-balcony cabin in over a decade.  And they had the gall to call it an "Infinite Veranda" or some such misleading fraudulent term.  My wife never uses the balcony, and liked the additional cabins space provided by not having the balcony, and she preferred the large windows to the sliding patio door.

I did not like the buffet lay-out.  Very large to handle the large numbers of passengers, but poorly organized.  Why don't they place bagels near the lox?  Our first breakfast, I spent forever trying to find the items I eat.  The buffet also had a large amount of ethnic food, that I have not seen at a buffet before; this could have been based on European demographics.  And maybe it is a European thing, but all of the fried eggs were almost raw; I needed to special order eggs.

The public seats looked awesome, but were very uncomfortable.  Especially in Eden.  And I did not understand the entire concept of the Eden entertainment.

I never was on the big orange Construction Elevator except when it was a tender dock, but I completely missed the point of it.

Call me Andy Rooney, but I preferred the Meridian and the Horizon.  Even the Century.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

The buffet also had a large amount of ethnic food, that I have not seen at a buffet before; this could have been based on European demographics.

That's one of the things I LOVED about the buffet on the Edge, that it included many different types of food. It was that way on both of the Caribbean Itineraries I sailed on the Edge. I hope you didn't consider that a negative thing. Isn't that the whole point of a buffet, to try out different foods?  

Why don't they place bagels near the lox?

Hmmm Native NY'er here and lived a couple of blocks from H&H Bagels, so I know my bagels. No, the Bagels don't have to be near the lox and I wouldn't think that they should go together. Bagels should be where the other breads and rolls are. Not everyone eats Lox with Bagels. 

Call me Andy Rooney, but I preferred the Meridian and the Horizon.  Even the Century.

Things do change. Based on your comment I don't think Celebrity is the cruise line for you anymore.

8 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Is there a list of cabin types for the Edge/Apex that tells you which cabin types are Infinite verandas and which are traditional verandas? I'm trying to find the lowest level typical veranda stateroom category. 

when you say veranda, do you mean a traditional balcony?  If so the sky suite, S3, S2 or S1.  S3 being the entry level.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, trtog7 said:

If you are used to cruising on small ships, would you enjoy cruising on Edge or would you find it overwhelming?

I don’t know what you mean by “small..” From what I have seen of the Edge class ships (ads, comments by passengers etc) I have no interest nor intention to sail on that class. No, I wouldn’t find it overwhelming, just poorly designed with kitsch over functionality. I am happy on M class, also S class, looking forward to Windstar and Hurtigruten cruises.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

We like about 2000 pax max.  Have sailed on a small as 60.  Find about 500 optimal for us.  3000 as are on Edge is too many for us.  Again just in opinion.

Celebrity doesn’t have much in your wheelhouse, IMHO.

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am not a huge fan of the Edge, but my wife loved it.

The size of the ship was not an issue.  The ship is designed to handle the large number of guests without feeling crowded. This goes for everything from entertainment to the ice cream bar to the various shopping areas.  And for our cruise, the ship was pretty full.

The multiple dining rooms worked very well to keep them uncrowded and smoothly flowing.  We were Aqua, so we had Blu in addition to the main dining rooms.  We ate kind of late, and we had very few waits.  I don't know how long the waits were for others who might have gone to dinner without reservations and/or at more popular hours.

I like a balcony.  The Edge was my first-non-balcony cabin in over a decade.  And they had the gall to call it an "Infinite Veranda" or some such misleading fraudulent term.  My wife never uses the balcony, and liked the additional cabins space provided by not having the balcony, and she preferred the large windows to the sliding patio door.

I did not like the buffet lay-out.  Very large to handle the large numbers of passengers, but poorly organized.  Why don't they place bagels near the lox?  Our first breakfast, I spent forever trying to find the items I eat.  The buffet also had a large amount of ethnic food, that I have not seen at a buffet before; this could have been based on European demographics.  And maybe it is a European thing, but all of the fried eggs were almost raw; I needed to special order eggs.

The public seats looked awesome, but were very uncomfortable.  Especially in Eden.  And I did not understand the entire concept of the Eden entertainment.

I never was on the big orange Construction Elevator except when it was a tender dock, but I completely missed the point of it.

Hey, stay off my lawn.

Which I love on the S Class..

• Like 1