The Daily for Monday Apr 19, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

First of all, Roy @rafinmd so happy you have a less invasive plan of action and surgery date.  We'll all be keeping you in our prayers.

More garlic lovers here!  @garlictownI know Gilroy well, I lived in San Jose for 5 years and got married there. 🙂  

When we were newly married I hung out clothes often (did anyone else's Mother advise "hiding the unmentionables" behind the sheets?)  😂 

I learn something new here every day.  Interesting to learn about Patriots Day in MA.

I've been to Egypt but not the Suez Canal.  Thank you @StLouisCruisersand @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the great photos! 

I agree with @jimgev, just eat a chocolate chip cookie and wash it down with your favorite shot 😉 

Spring is my favorite time of year here in the PNW.  Our daffodils and tulips are blooming (along with other spring flowers) and the summer flowers are poking their noses out of the ground.  Here's some color for today, a few new tulip varieties for me this year.

"Crispion Love" fringed tulip

1902936020_CrispionLovefringedtulip.jpg.928b3e9ad2c81fca4593b4325623d48d.jpg

"Abba" double tulips and "Gavota" tulips, daffodils

1429015802_tulipsanddaffodils.thumb.jpg.0313ca04cca38c4636dfa56d91e2bb9c.jpg

• Like 26

Yesterday was pretty nice, at least until I started the grill for dinner! This morning there were a few flakes of snow in the air and the temperature was right around freezing. I think a roast might be a good plan for tonight's meal. 

Today in 2018 we were in Monte Carlo, which was the port of the day on March 16th. I would be happy to visit the city again!

183309749_DSC_0791(2).thumb.JPG.7e91de210922d52eb9d8a0cf612ff475.JPG2141446355_DSC_0897(2).thumb.JPG.e3f50cbb6ef904c6f213da09b17f0b1a.JPG

We had to tender in because...

DSC_0747.thumb.JPG.a445a4cca119927a476aea737f3bc93e.JPG

DSC_0757.thumb.JPG.c75740e8c2956b2d7a26019bc2cf914c.JPG

1307199571_DSC_0831(2).thumb.JPG.5094887cba2a6fb5b0594afc6e16ea55.JPG

...and the Koningsdam might not fit anyway

• Like 25

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

First of all, Roy @rafinmd so happy you have a less invasive plan of action and surgery date.  We'll all be keeping you in our prayers.

More garlic lovers here!  @garlictownI know Gilroy well, I lived in San Jose for 5 years and got married there. 🙂  

When we were newly married I hung out clothes often (did anyone else's Mother advise "hiding the unmentionables" behind the sheets?)  😂 

I learn something new here every day.  Interesting to learn about Patriots Day in MA.

I've been to Egypt but not the Suez Canal.  Thank you @StLouisCruisersand @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the great photos! 

I agree with @jimgev, just eat a chocolate chip cookie and wash it down with your favorite shot 😉 

Spring is my favorite time of year here in the PNW.  Our daffodils and tulips are blooming (along with other spring flowers) and the summer flowers are poking their noses out of the ground.  Here's some color for today, a few new tulip varieties for me this year.

"Crispion Love" fringed tulip

1902936020_CrispionLovefringedtulip.jpg.928b3e9ad2c81fca4593b4325623d48d.jpg

"Abba" double tulips and "Gavota" tulips, daffodils

1429015802_tulipsanddaffodils.thumb.jpg.0313ca04cca38c4636dfa56d91e2bb9c.jpg

Beautiful flowers!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Garlic Day.......................

Garlic by deathvalleysuperstar - Meme Center

Garlic Joke Stickers | Redbubble

SUNDAY FUNNIES. GARLIC BREATH.

Halloween Humor Between Vampire & Werewolf | Country & Victorian Times

Garlic Jokes

http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/thumb/demotivation.us__Garlic-Increases-the-immunity-and-decreases-the-circle-of-friends.jpg

reddit: the front page of the internet | Garlic bread, Garlic bread memes,  Garlic

• Like 15
  • Haha 8

@rafinmdSo glad to hear they have a plan, and it's less invasive.  You know the prayers will be coming from all our Dailyites.  Also glad you are able to continue your walking!

Haven't been to today's port (actually haven't been to anywhere in Europe!), but enjoyed the pictures of sand. 

Thanks for all the happiness here - it's a very welcoming place to visit every day!!

Laura

• Like 14

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:
I just got a call from University of Maryland.  While the standard mitral clip surgery is not ideal due to calcification of the valve they have reviewed the details  and decided the mitral clip would have a high probability of helping me.  The operation is less invasive than would have been involved with the test procedures but rather technical.  They would be working from a catheter inserted in my groin and they estimate about 3 hours in surgery.  Under ideal conditions I might be able to go home the next day but more likely a bit longer.

The procedure is tentatively scheduled for 7AM May 14 (A Friday).  We discussed my walking which I was a bit concerned might be over stressing me but he encouraged me to be as aggressive with it as I can.  This morning I walked a trail which I had never expected to be able to walk again and while I walked very slowly I was able to complete it without ever needing to completely stop and catch my breath.  I know there will be blood work and a Covid test before the procedure and likely some other things but so far this is just getting started.

Roy

Glad to hear that you are moving forward. Keeping fingers crossed that all goes smoothly from here on out.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:
I just got a call from University of Maryland.  While the standard mitral clip surgery is not ideal due to calcification of the valve they have reviewed the details  and decided the mitral clip would have a high probability of helping me.  The operation is less invasive than would have been involved with the test procedures but rather technical.  They would be working from a catheter inserted in my groin and they estimate about 3 hours in surgery.  Under ideal conditions I might be able to go home the next day but more likely a bit longer.

The procedure is tentatively scheduled for 7AM May 14 (A Friday).  We discussed my walking which I was a bit concerned might be over stressing me but he encouraged me to be as aggressive with it as I can.  This morning I walked a trail which I had never expected to be able to walk again and while I walked very slowly I was able to complete it without ever needing to completely stop and catch my breath.  I know there will be blood work and a Covid test before the procedure and likely some other things but so far this is just getting started.

Roy

Excellent news my friend! We all will be thinking about you on 14 May 21 and will be with you in thoughts of well wishes! Take care and be safe and keep up those walks!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. 

Roy, @rafinmd, as always thank you for your lists. It is such great news that you have a date and a plan for your surgery. I know that if any of us lived close to you we would help you after you get home. I hope you have a support system that can help. 

I love garlic and also add an extra clove to anything that I’m making. We used to have Cornish Hens a lot, they are easy to roast and cheaper than a whole chicken, just no leftovers. I don’t have any on hand but I’m putting it on my grocery list. 

My potato pie came out good on Saturday but I was in such a hurry that I forgot the cheese. Craig said to just put it on top:

5DC9AF0D-0EC8-448B-8839-58846DC3531D.thumb.jpeg.1772662631a3ac18675bf82c4f709185.jpeg

The Chicken Crepes yesterday were a hit, as always:

ED4AC149-9C9C-4C23-9F7F-DAC50DE84CCB.thumb.jpeg.ad368920354e98331683861fe45ec2a0.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who wished DD a happy birthday!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

So glad to hear this Roy. Thanks for sharing. You will continue to be in my prayers. 

• Like 10

We move in small increments in Ontario. 40+ can now register for the astra Zeneca vaccine so our other daughter and both SILs will get their first shot this week. The  daughter who works for public health in the next county will get her second shot appointment in a week or so. Small steps

• Like 19

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Great to hear Roy @rafinmd that you are scheduled for your procedure on May 14th , that call from the university must have been lifting a ton of stress from you , will be thinking of you and wishing all the best , and yes stay active as much as you can .

Tony 

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, superoma said:

We move in small increments in Ontario. 40+ can now register for the astra Zeneca vaccine so our other daughter and both SILs will get their first shot this week. The  daughter who works for public health in the next county will get her second shot appointment in a week or so. Small steps

Wow you are way ahead of us here in NB, but we don’t get the same percentage of vaccine.  We are not the hot spot you are, thankfully.  At least, not yet.  Vaccine wise, we are on the first shot for those 70 and over now 😢 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

The potato pie looks interesting, did you post a recipe earlier?

No I haven’t. It’s an old recipe from Melissa d’Arabian. I think I first made it in 2009:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/potato-bacon-torte-recipe-1948768

BTW, I just use store bought pie crust. 

And I was very fortunate to actually meet her last year at a women’s retreat she held based on her book “Tasting Grace”. 
5EB7AEEF-0309-4771-8290-1E62DA5744DF.thumb.jpeg.1f3825dd40743c1d239973060926106b.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 21

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, that’s great news that you now have a plan and don’t have to wait too long. Keeping you in my prayers.

• Like 8

@rafinmd, goodness, I go away for a couple of hours and come back to hear the wonderful news that you’ll be getting a procedure to help you out!   Yayyy!  I’ll keep you in my prayers for an easy passage through it all.  Keep walking, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Wow you are way ahead of us here in NB, but we don’t get the same percentage of vaccine.  We are not the hot spot you are, thankfully.  At least, not yet.  Vaccine wise, we are on the first shot for those 70 and over now 😢 

Ontario is struggling. Windsor is not bad and we are actually taking non COVID patients from Toronto. This has been a long struggle and doesn’t look to be ending any time soon. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@rafinmd, it is so nice to read your hopeful news.  Glad the doctors further examined your case and feel that there is a way to help you in a less invasive way!

Interesting days today.  I am also reminded that I retired from Ma Bell after 30 years on this date in 1995!  Almost retired longer than I actually worked!  Today is also a sad day in American history--the date of the Oklahoma City bombing.  Knowledge of that certainly marred my retirement.

Wind is picking up here this afternoon, which was predicted.  Wind to continue through the evening.  I love to see that some lucky people are doing some planting.  Around here, we can't put anything out until after Mother's Day because of possible overnight freezing.

The State has changed some guidelines and public health orders, so the counties are "opening up" at various levels.  I just hope that people will still be cautious.  Vaccination rates are at about 60% of eligible population in some counties, but that is not enough, considering how many variants are running rampant!  Okay, rant over for today!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Super good news @rafinmd.  You must be breathing a sigh of relief knowing that there is a plan.  I think not knowing is worse than the actual procedure.  I am so glad you have the green light to go ahead and walk.  Enjoy those walks for now.  

As for Hanging Out Day, I am celebrating.  When I got home from the pool I hung my suit and towel on the back patio and put my pool shoes on the table to dry.  I generally do that unless it is raining or the dead of winter.  I love the fresh smell of sunshine.  

As for garlic, if we all ate it regularly it wouldn't be a problem.  Garlic has antibiotic and antiviral properties.   A story I heard is that it was used in WWII when they couldn't get antibiotics to the front line.

"Garlic has been used in food and medicine for thousands of years.  Archaeologists discovered clay sculptures in the shape of garlic bulbs in an Egyptian tomb dating back to 3200 BC. An Egyptian papyrus that dates back to 1500 BC recommends garlic in treating 22 ailments to include heart disease, stamina, and tumors.  Greek military leaders fed garlic to their troops before combat, Greek athletes took garlic to increase performance, ancient Transylvanians used garlic as a mosquito repellent, and King Tutankhamen was sent into the afterlife with garlic.  Garlic was used to battle the plague and during World War, I and World War II, when penicillin was scarce, used to prevent infection and gangrene in soldier’s wounds. In seventeenth-century England, garlic was considered unfit for ladies or the gentleman who wished to court them.  Western cultures shunned garlic until the early to mid-20th century because of the unpleasant smell it left behind.  It wasn’t until the 1920’s that Americans began to embrace this flavorful and healthy bulb."

https://www.2sistersgarlic.com/articles/history/#:~:text=Garlic was used to battle,who wished to court them.

Garlic is most commonly used for conditions related to the heart and blood system. These conditions include high blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia), and hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis).

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-300/garlic#:~:text=Garlic is most commonly used,of the arteries (atherosclerosis).

Amazing!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1