The Daily for Tuesday Apr 20, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Cheddar Fries Day, Look Alike Day, and Volunteer Recognition Day

Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.

Meal suggestion for today - Potato and Pepper Sausage Bake

Drink of the Day - Werther's Hot Toddies

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle Artist Series Cabernet - Washington - Red

Port of the Day - Cruising Bay of Plenty

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/23
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/21

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Noordam
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0420Europe.thumb.png.44a7f592d731385df99d1620c86aa2e7.png

0420USA.thumb.png.20c1108915ccc69ea8c398460ca2870d.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.  

Today looks like mostly a nice day until late afternoon when the snow starts.  We're supposed to get 2-3 inches.  Another reason why my lawn service can't get my grass cut.  The place looks like it is abandoned.  

@superomaKeeping you close in my thoughts and prayers today.   Positive thoughts only.

Today's meal gets rave reviews.  It is super easy and also adaptable to various dietary needs.  I'd leave out the potatoes and sub in vegetables and it would be an easy, tasty dinner for me.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/potato-and-pepper-sausage-bake/

1 sausage link with 3/4 cup vegetables: 446 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.

Potato-and-Pepper-Sausage-Bake_EXPS_SDFM19_232751_B10_11_2b-5.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'll keep my fries and my cheddar separate, please.  Cheers to look-alikes and volunteers.  Did the CC censor catch you on the quote?  It looks like the missing word is a bird who called out the night Jesus was betrayed.  Bay of Plenty sounds nice.  I don't think I've been there.  I'll have to see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Tropical Fruit Medley and Easter Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb (Ideally New Zealand Lamb) as served on MS Amsterdam April 20, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

superoma in radiation

Welfare of furloughed crews

Rising numbers in Ontario and BC

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard jimgev

Occasional contributors including Mr. Boston and surfcitygirl

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A good walk for me

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

First jab for Jose

Tasmanian bubble

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Did the CC censor catch you on the quote?  It looks like the missing word is a bird who called out the night Jesus was betrayed. 

yes, that's why I changed it.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good Tuesday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Cool and windy here today, with snow in the forecast for later today.

I like cheddar and fries, but I don't think I'll have them today.   Our Hospital Auxiliary usually has a big luncheon to celebrate volunteers, but cannot this year 🙁.  Hope we can next year.

Sorry I missed the first quote, the second one is amusing.

Thanks for the recipe @dfish.  The meal suggestion looks good.

The drink of the day sounds sweet, hope the wine isn't.

Another place I have not visited, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Sending prayers for all on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

He was like a rooster who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow. - George Eliot

the actual quote used a common synonym for rooster which is also the mascot of the University of South Carolina

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Another gloomy morning here. Looking at another siege of storms this afternoon.  Love cheddar fries.  My DM and I were mirror images of each other.  Volunteer's  need to be recognized everyday all day.  The meal sounds and looks good.  I would cut the sausage's up tho. I like the first quote better than the second one. Major virtual hugs and prayers for our care list.  🍸Toasts to our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Werther's Hot Toddy:

Ingredients
½ c. Caramel
10 Werther's Candies, crushed
2 c. water
10 Werther's Candies, whole
2 cinnamon sticks
⅓ c. lemon juice
4 oz. Whiskey or Bourbon

Instructions
Place crushed Werther's on a shallow plate, and caramel on a separate shallow plate. Dip rims first in caramel, and then in crushed Werther's.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, Werther's, and cinnamon sticks. Stir constantly until candies are fully melted. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice and whiskey. Ladle into mugs and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 7.09.50 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

An interesting combination of days.  Volunteer Recognition day is definitely a must.  They all contribute so much.

Love both the quotes for today.

The meal suggestion for today sounds like a good one 👍 

The drink of the day sounds very sweet.  OMG.  Perhaps a good dessert drink (in the winter) ?  Or, maybe a McWhiskey instead? 😉 

AA95019D-2754-469E-A852-B41B32A05CC8.jpeg.338f1f3e4cff4d2e2f2b9136dd66e851.jpeg

@superomathinking of you this morning as you start your radiation treatment.

Another beautiful day here (at least for us this time of year) so hopefully I’ll be able to get some more babies transplanted into bigger containers.  It has to be done outside because of the mess of going into the arrangements in the bigger pots.

of course, the plants have to stay in for now until the weather is more stable and there is no frost.  Doesn’t sound like that will happen soon since they are warning of a “shot of snow” on Friday / Saturday.  Pretty sure by the time I’m done I will declare it to be wine o’clock 😉 

12668312-0B28-43CA-AABB-69D6EDD2B1C4.jpeg.8c37fc437c17b2bf247813c4bb6610b7.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!!

42785FD2-45DC-4C12-BCDF-00F9C4F024C7.jpeg.bccaa7a0e683a120e3f96ff948c50cb3.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I appreciate your battling the censors for us! I know my twin is out there somewhere. Cheers to the volunteers of the world!

Thank you for our lists, Roy!  Happy to see you are on the celebration list, too! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. I confess I had to tweak today’s wine a bit, since I could not find a straight Cabernet Sauvignon Artist Series by today’s vintner.  Love the censored quote, thanks for finding a way around it, Rich! The meal does sound good and easy to customize - thanks Debbie! I might try a sip of the drink du jour, but it sounds too sweet & rich - though the bourbon aspect intrigues me. 

More rain heading our way, but it appears we will have a break after today. 
May eat out or do take out for supper, not sure. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

As mentioned earlier, I could not find a straight Cab in the vintner’s Artist Series. The series seems to be all about the red blend. So I zeroed in on the 2015 vintage, which has excellent ratings. I found it on one site for $53.99, so I suspect I could find it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

The Artist Series is the first wine blended each vintage from our best vineyards as we strive for elegance, complexity with underlyingpower. The very warm 2015 vintage produced incredible ripe,rich concentrated red wines. This 2015 bottling shows the bestof both worlds – the wonderful, ripe vintage, contrasted with sophisticated layers and complexity. 
Blend: 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 3% Malbec
JS94 James Suckling:  Powerful Cold Creek Vineyard fruit is the core of this intense and very structured blend. The aromas are squarely in the ripe red and dark-berry zone. There’s a sappy side to the nose, too. The palate has a very assertive, mouthwatering quality that has ample length and depth. Drink or hold. 
WS90 Wine Spectator: Focused and tightly built, with expressive blackberry, cedar and smoky mocha flavors that build toward big but refined tannins. Best from 2021 through 2024.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Many years ago when I worked part time in downtown Athens there were two other men that also spent a lot of time in the area. All were about the same build, same hair and glasses, and we were often mistaken for each other. Thing is, we all knew each other well enough to be able to point people in the right direction to find the one they were looking for.

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

Happy Tuesday morning!  Thank you for the Daily report Rich, and for being so quick to substitute quotes for the censors.  Thanks to Roy for his list keeping.  Prayers to all who need them, and a shout out to everyone celebrating.  My twin is definitely out there and I know where, but we are definitely not mirror images!

I am heading out this morning to my hair appointment with a stop beforehand to pick up a couple things at the grocery so don't have time to dawdle this morning.  

I didn't think I'd been cruising in the Bay of Plenty so checked my itineraries on our New Zealand cruises.  It wasn't listed but we must have passed through there between Tauranga and Napier.   Let's see if someone here can come up with some photos taken there while scenic cruising.

I'll be checking back later.  Have a good morning everyone.

• Like 23

Good morning!  The meal of the day brings a smile.  The sausage and pepper bake was a standard "lazy day" meal when I was growing up, and in our house now.  No potatoes, though. We always include plenty of onions and made a sandwich on a roll.  That with a salad is just about a perfect meal.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast and rainy day day at the beach.

Kudos to all volunteers. I have always volunteered or in some cases "voluntold" my whole life. It is interesting . often learn something new and a good way to make new friends.

The meal suggestion looks good, but I agree, I would cut up the sausages.

Never been to todays port  but I think it is on our booked trip in 2022. Looking forward to the pictures.

We need the rain but I sure would like to go for a walk. Hopefully later.

Sending strong thoughts and prayers to all on the care list.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 18

Good morning everyone. Today is going to be warm and beautiful. I’m heading out for my Mohs surgery and then I’ll be able to get vaccinated when I find the J and J vaccine.

Stay safe and have a good day.

Carol

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Today is going to be warm and beautiful. I’m heading out for my Mohs surgery and then I’ll be able to get vaccinated when I find the J and J vaccine.

Stay safe and have a good day.

Carol

Praying everything goes smoothly, Carol!

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like cheddar and fries, just not together - on the other hand, I love butter chicken on fries . . . yum!  I've often been told I have a double, but have yet to find her; I think a lot of us round faced girls look alike.  LOL  Praises for all the volunteers out there, especially at this time of year who are helping with vaccination clinics.

Yesterday was a typical day on the "frozen tundra" - sun, cloud, sleet, snow, rain, sun, cloud, snow, sun.  Wait 5 minutes and the weather changes.  No wonder we rarely put our annuals outside until after May 24th weekend!

I'm not sure what's going on, but the police plane has been flying over our area for the past 15 minutes - somebody's going to be in trouble!

I like today's meal suggestion, and really like Roy's, but DH has his heart set on an A&W Teenburger after he saw their ad on tv last night, so I think we'll be going through the drive-through and enjoying them on our deck tonight.  And wine.

Sending good vibes to @superomaas you begin your treatment, and @mamaofamifor your surgery.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast those on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Today looks like mostly a nice day until late afternoon when the snow starts.  We're supposed to get 2-3 inches.  Another reason why my lawn service can't get my grass cut.  The place looks like it is abandoned.  

@superomaKeeping you close in my thoughts and prayers today.   Positive thoughts only.

Today's meal gets rave reviews.  It is super easy and also adaptable to various dietary needs.  I'd leave out the potatoes and sub in vegetables and it would be an easy, tasty dinner for me.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/potato-and-pepper-sausage-bake/

1 sausage link with 3/4 cup vegetables: 446 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.

Potato-and-Pepper-Sausage-Bake_EXPS_SDFM19_232751_B10_11_2b-5.jpg

Hey, it looks good.

• Like 5

@mamaofami and @superoma, best  of  everything  today  ,I  am  thinking  of  you  both  with  your  procedure and  treatment respectively. 

It  is  a  nice  sunny  day  here and  perfect  for  dog  walking  later. I  spent  yesterday  afternoon  and  evening  with  my  DB   and  SIL. My  brother  and  I  have  a  very  strong  family  resemblance,especially  now  that  my  grey  hair  matches  his! It  was  so  nice  to  share  a  meal,hug and  laugh   together  again. We  both  had  watery  eyes  when  they  left.

Cheddar fries  would  not  be  my  choice  but  I  do  like the  recipe,thanks  Debbie. Volunteers should  be  saluted  for  more  than  a  day. A  good  friend  has  spent  the  last  two  months  assisting  less  computer  savvy   people make  vaccination  appointments. She  is  doing  a  service  for  all  of  us.   Terry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'll keep my fries and my cheddar separate, please.  Cheers to look-alikes and volunteers.  Did the CC censor catch you on the quote?  It looks like the missing word is a bird who called out the night Jesus was betrayed.  Bay of Plenty sounds nice.  I don't think I've been there.  I'll have to see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Tropical Fruit Medley and Easter Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb (Ideally New Zealand Lamb) as served on MS Amsterdam April 20, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

superoma in radiation

Welfare of furloughed crews

Rising numbers in Ontario and BC

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard jimgev

Occasional contributors including Mr. Boston and surfcitygirl

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A good walk for me

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

First jab for Jose

Tasmanian bubble

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:   I love lamb, particularly leg of lamb with mint Jelly.  I am glad you got a date for your cardiac surgery date.  I hope and pray it goes well and you return to good health,

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1