The Daily for Monday Apr 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is Hug an Australian Day, National Pretzel Day, and Richter Scale Day

"I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them? - Leo Durocher"

Meal suggestion for today - Sausage with Peppers and Pasta

Drink of the Day - Ginger Pear Snap Cocktail

Wine of the day - Deakin Estate Shiraz - Australia - Red

Port of the Day - Picton New Zealand

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Trieste, IT eta 4/27

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28

Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

Corfu GR
Volendam

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

Oosterdam Anchorage

0426Rotterdam.thumb.png.6e17877f504aa8edc83055b1c1a9d1ea.png

0426USA.thumb.png.1d6b2f99f2652169b9cd510ed6429f3b.png

0426Europe.thumb.png.090c5a6d42c60b5acc83ac1e91921d86.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Hug an Australian day is a fitting followup to ANZAC Day.  I enjoy pretzels occasionally.  While the Richter scale is useful, I prefer not to have to invoke it.  Durocher was a Character.  I loved Picton, but have only been there on Crystal.  The Pasta sounds nice.  My alternative for April 26 is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Fresh Greens with Pear and Brie, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Carrot Cake, my final Gala dinner on MS Amsterdam from 2014.

A long celebration list today.  I will put a PE appearance of Nieuw Statendam on it later this week when the list is a bit shorter.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

Indonesian sub crew lost

India

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Congrats Nomad Land

Welcome back Heartgrove and Gator65

Positive development on Kakalina

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

Welcome home Sr Louis Sal and Lindaler

Dfish and StLouisCruiser 5000 posts

Rotterdam sea trials confirmed

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Happy Monday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I will send a virtual hug to my friends in Australia.  I don't have any pretzels and I think the Richter scale is interesting.

Love the quote from Leo the Lip.

The meal suggestion sounds good, not sure if we'll have that tonight, but maybe.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

I haven't been to New Zealand (yet) but hope to someday.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning, it's a sunny but cool one here.  Let’s hope nothing rates a Richter Scale measurement today.  Not much of a rule breaker except for this wretched diet we’re on.  Would love to hug an Australian today but Covid won’t allow!  Have a nice day and prayers to those in need.

• Like 16

Good morning, everyone.

Wish I could hug an Australian today.  It will have to be virtual.  I remember teaching about the Richter scale with I taught 8th grade Earth Science.  

Today's meal comes from a new site.  It uses Italian sausage, but you could use other kinds of sausage.  I would leave out the pasta and just have the sausage and peppers.  I'd probably add in some onions.  But, we are going out to dinner tonight.  YEAH!

I'm off to the pool.

https://www.girlgonegourmet.com/sausage-peppers-pasta/

Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe, Calories: 499, Sugar: 9.1g, Sodium: 1168.4mg, Fat: 20.8g, Carbohydrates: 54.8g,

Fiber: 6.6g, Protein: 22.4g, Cholesterol: 62.1mg

Italian-Sausage-and-Peppers-Pasta-1.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

No travel permitted & covid prevents it, so I will celebrate Hug an Australian day by sending a cyber hug to all of our CC Australian friends 🙂 

6651E271-D22A-471E-B268-1E688311CD34.jpeg.707ab084a95d7e33335e3a30530914e7.jpeg

LOL on that quote by Durocher.  We’re certainly seeing people breaking the rules in these times.

Meal suggestion is temping.  BBQ’d tuna last night so not sure if we will have leftovers or go for the sausage and peppers.

29B1BCA2-F047-4E96-9BFF-EBF5C2FBCA97.jpeg.1ef28cc7277595d0095915809c53343a.jpeg

Rain and snow in store for Atlantic Canada today and for a couple of days. Luckily it’s just rain for us but for those who are getting nailed today and those who have been hit in the last little bit, thought you might get a kick out of this one (change March to April):

4F149106-C611-4322-B507-595E80E89762.thumb.jpeg.3a93ec2cc529dd98b25a1a68d77fa095.jpeg

The drink of the day sounds intriguing - looking forward to hearing about it.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday, everyone!!!

14AF24F0-3AFE-41EA-86AC-823B575D6367.jpeg.483f812b82c31ecce4bac916caf9a29b.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28

Happy Monday.  Wish I could hug an Australian.  Love Pretzels and the Richter Scale is interesting.  Enjoy the quote.  The meal sounds really good.  And excited to see the Rotterdam on the list finally.  Makes our cruise in January so much more possible.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Ginger Pear Snap Cocktail:

Ingredients

• 2 ounces Hangar One Spiced Pear Vodka
  • ½ ounce Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
  • ½ ounce lemon juice
  • ¼ ounce fresh ginger
  • Sprig of rosemary
  • Dash rhubarb bitters
  • 3 ounces Sparkling Pear Juice*
  • Gingerbread spice for rimming glass
  • Garnish: dehydrated pear chip, pear slice and/or rosemary sprig

Instructions

• Rim a Collins or Highball glass with gingerbread spice.
  • In a shaker mix vodka, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, fresh ginger, and rosemary with ice. Shake vigorously.
  • Fill glass with ice, strain shaker into glass, top with bitters and pear soda. Garnish with dehydrated pear chip, pear slice and/or rosemary sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 7.10.21 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

We were aboard the Amsterdam two years ago for a stop in Picton.  Because we have a neighbor who raved about the countryside in New Zealand, we took an excursion that took us on the winding roads along the coast.  

A0D2D3C3-ADE8-4D72-8523-6F2F47DD9B82.thumb.jpeg.6043ab2a4aafb4580eeba15af6ee148f.jpeg

A300BB98-E921-43D7-9BD9-0EBB031C4A2E.thumb.jpeg.2ac6092c3e7a2cc27c6a886842ab5a41.jpeg

CB6CB303-D7F5-440B-ABBC-8FB23A6C4D82.thumb.jpeg.57a6a37ad9f881819f9cd28a71a4ae28.jpeg

DA4D0FD2-90FD-46A6-9D93-27CDC5966517.thumb.jpeg.a378b56bc1d350ea93775a5fa737898d.jpeg

B7E93671-9AA5-4CD8-A101-3DF421C96C5F.thumb.jpeg.246f76dbc8c6f75d109b7ef9e63b9c60.jpeg

49AAE01B-B6DD-4C8B-91B4-37B27894F29A.thumb.jpeg.7b69731809b1d507280eea00ef867679.jpeg

0B71381F-DF55-4562-A56D-E4F4218F2315.thumb.jpeg.6b9c8bff675637499de34f15fca6e058.jpeg

128334F7-4AD2-42AC-BA6E-37B1A9129838.thumb.jpeg.42316222de7ebe4b15c0cf11090bdef9.jpeg

19F495BC-8670-496B-BD53-1137712B4AA1.thumb.jpeg.2aa3a4f22a11312c849b23d62862fb09.jpeg

• Like 32

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Ginger Pear Snap Cocktail:

Here's a slightly different recipe you found for us on December 1:

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1 ounce ginger liqueur, such as Domaine de Canton
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon agave syrup
1/4 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch grated nutmeg
Ice
Cinnamon stick, for garnish

Shake all together the vodka, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, agave syrup, grated ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.

The sparkling pear juice certainly makes today's recipe a bit less potent.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I love today’s combination of days. Sadly there are no Australians here for me to hug. 

Roy, thank you for keeping up with our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Happy Birthday @dfish - your birthday wish will follow! Fun quote. Meal sounds good. That drink is intriguing. I might just have to try it.  It is a gorgeous, but cool (for Florida) morning here! A couple of visitors last night.BC1A3801-34C6-4F5D-B8EA-814967D67CA7.jpeg.7e31a9c5d72811290ea3fd4f310a438f.jpeg

Off to the gym. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine has very good ratings and for Shiraz lovers - a steal at $8.99! I even found an Ontario site that offered it for a very low site. The first time  a Canadian website came up in my search. 

Winemaker Notes

Aromas of ripe plum fruit flavours of plum and raspberry combined with toasted oak. A balanced wine with good length and soft, drying tannins. This Shiraz would go well with steak, pizza and anything spicy.
 88 Wine.com: The Deakin Estate Shiraz is a great value award winning red wine, crafted from family owned, estate grown vineyards that lie in the Murray Darling region of north west Victoria, Australia. This Shiraz is rich, smooth and juicy displaying classic flavours of ripe red berries, plum, hints of vanilla and spice. The perfect partner to serve with barbecued meats, pasta or beef stir fry.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Sure like the quote today. So many people breaking the rules and so many states changing them everyday. NJ governor is opening things up at noon today, but since we have the highest rate of infection in the US, I don’t get it.

Didn’t read anything about Kakalina, but happy to see she’s getting positive results.

Today is podiatrist day.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 16

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its another sunny day here but cool, suppose to get warm tomorrow.

I support pretzel day since my city(Reading) was nicknamed The Pretzel City many years ago due to the number of bakeries that existed. There are some still here. 
Not sure about dinner tonight.maybe leftovers.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Didn’t read anything about Kakalina, but happy to see she’s getting

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

From yesterday's Daily

15 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Brief update re Kakalena. She had had all her tests and the cancer has not spread to either the lymph nodes or the brain.  Ready now for surgery but she is getting quite frustrated with the problems gettin her set up with a thoracic surgeon that is in her Medicare Advantage network.

Jane

Roy

• Like 13

Good morning all!  It's a clear blue sky morning here in north central Georgia.  Should be a good week.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily report, and especially for the new listing of the Rotterdam doing its sea trials.  How exciting we get to add another ship to the list each day.  Thanks to Roy for keeping such an extensive list of prayers and celebrations each day.

Happy Birthday Debbie!  Have a great day!

I love the Hug an Australian Day and really wish I could!  Virtual hugs to Paul, Joan, Marion, Yvonne, Jenny, Steve, Des, Dot, Geoff, and Margaret.  You are all the best!!

The menu sounds interesting.  But DH is fond of pepper, sausage and pasta recipes and has some great ones so I think we'll stick with those.  

I wish I'd been to Picton before now but it will have to go on the bucket list.  I love all the places I've visited in New Zealand (and Australia).  I looked at my last New Zealand cruise photo book a short time ago and it was so GOOD!  One of the best I've made and it only makes me want to go back again as soon as I can get there.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

It’s beautiful today here in St Louis, sunny and a little cool. But today’s projected high of 80 is a little much 🥵. The temps bouncing back and forth make dressing in the morning a puzzle sometimes. 

The days are interesting. Does having a friend who just lived in Australia for many years count? If so, I will give my friend Joan a virtual hug. I also keep in touch with an Australian crew member I met on the Rotterdam; she is married and back living in Sydney. Reminds me I haven’t checked in to see the latest pictures of her new baby. Another virtual hug.

Pretzels-I can take them or leave them.

The Richter scale is interesting. I follow the usgs.gov site for the news about earthquakes. No big ones in St Louis usually, but we do get quite a few in the 1-2 range. I apparently missed one while I was gone, centered a few miles from my house and 2.5.  I have experienced an earthquake in Las Vegas while visiting my sister. It felt very different from the ones in St Louis.

I’ll skip the meal and drink, but the wine sounds wonderful. I would like Roy’s meal (I’ll have the turf AND the surf 😉)

I haven’t been to New Zealand yet, but love the pictures.

Prayers today for all on the care list 🙏 and I love celebrating the good times with all of you 🍾🥂🎉

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I support pretzel day since my city(Reading) was nicknamed The Pretzel City many years ago due to the number of bakeries that existed. There are some still here. 

@1ANGELCAT Maybe you are a connoisseur of pretzels, being from the Pretzel Capital of the World. Can you recommend a good pretzel? I think of pretzels as a marketing tool for selling more beverages.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning fellow Daily-ites.  Rich thanks for bringing us together and for all the time and effort you put into our fleet reports. Power prayers for Roy. 

Hugging an Australian doesn't have to mean a human.

image.thumb.png.6f8962669d544dff9c171b0d87f194d7.png

It was so nice to hear from Denise last night. They are having such a great time in Maui. We've been going since 1985 and wow has life on the island changed over the years. 

Today will be a warm 87. Going with friends for our couple's pedicures and out for a late lunch. Looking forward to seeing our friends from Louisiana this week. Lots of fun things to finally look forward to. If only we could get back on our beautiful dam ships!

Have an awesome day. Call a loved one. Send a card. Have a pretzel.. Peace, Prayers and Cheers!

• Like 22