July start!!

Shakatime

Interesting for sure. I wonder if Carnival will change their stance on the mandatory vaccines. DW and I are fully vaccinated but our kids aren't. I have until the end of May to rebook with the $600 OBC. I think I'll keep the kids on the rebooking but if for some reason they can't go without the vaccine - too bad they can stay with Grandma 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

This is good news from the CDC! Now, the cruise lines have to react by obtain staff that is 95% vaccinated. This may still require a phased in approach. Each cruise line will have prioritize which ships and ports come on line as ships are fully staffed. This is positive movement.

I agree.  It's actually 98% for crew vaccinations.  A phased restart is likely under any circumstances.  It will be a lot to manage.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It is not an outright mandate for all cruise lines.  The vaccine component allows the lines to make a choice to avoid test cruises and begin revenue sailings.  Lines can still opt for no vaccine test cruises.  The lines that do go for a vaccine requirement will need to certify to the CDC that each sailing complies with the vaccine standards.  They are on the hook legally.

True, but I don't think any cruise line will want to jump through the hoops of test cruises just to allow them to board unvaxxed pax, and the extra mitigation steps that would be required having that population on board.

It is just too easy for the cruise lines now to just go with the flow.  Any pax that cancel/delay because they aren't vaccinated will probably be readily replaced by those folks eager to get on board that are vaccinated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

True, but I don't think any cruise line will want to jump through the hoops of test cruises just to allow them to board unvaxxed pax, and the extra mitigation steps that would be required having that population on board.

It is just too easy for the cruise lines now to just go with the flow.  Any pax that cancel/delay because they aren't vaccinated will probably be readily replaced by those folks eager to get on board that are vaccinated.

Other than a waiver on test cruises, it doesn't appear any of the other mitigation steps are going away, including crew and passenger testing and reporting, as well as the other health protocols.

IMHO Carnival will require the CDC mandates just to get their ships sailing again and get some cash flow started. There are enough people out there that are vaccinated and want to cruise. Like other posters have said Carnival can just point to the CDC guidelines. Had 3 sailings cancelled already. Booked in August so I'm hoping that they start. Yes, I'm vaccinated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

The naysayers live on.  Good news comes out that shows progress in the talks between the CDC and the cruise lines, but it's just smoke and mirrors according to some.  

Yes, I no longer trust that the CDC is working to safely restart cruising. I really believe they have another agenda on some level. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Other than a waiver on test cruises, it doesn't appear any of the other mitigation steps are going away, including crew and passenger testing and reporting, as well as the other health protocols.

We just need to get it restarted.  Everything else will either workout or fail after that. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

Instead of not requiring the vaccine, he can change his stance to: I will do whatever is required to generate revenue and get ships sailing. This should have been his stance all along

I think it WAS his stance all along internally, with Board, etc.  But he saw an opportunity to appeal to anti-vaxxers, hoping to both lock in sustained loyalty and pilfer some NCL, RCL cruisers - and took it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasonsterling said:

If a passenger slips through screening or has been found to have used a forged vaccination card or a crew member is unable to get vaccinated for some reason or again the cruise line just makes a mistake the cruise line doesn’t have to worry about losing their authorization to sail.

I am a fanatic for cruising but still wouldnt forge anything just to get on a cruise.  I find it astounding that anyone would go to those lengths but ive seen news reports here in Canada of passengers arriving on International flights with forged test documents.  Now digging a tunnel under the border to go on a cruise if it doesnt open when cruising begins is a whole different story..... Just sayin😬

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I think it WAS his stance all along internally, with Board, etc.  But he saw an opportunity to appeal to anti-vaxxers, hoping to both lock in sustained loyalty and pilfer some NCL, RCL cruisers - and took it.

Exactly 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I am a fanatic for cruising but still wouldnt forge anything just to get on a cruise.  I find it astounding that anyone would go to those lengths but ive seen news reports here in Canada of passengers arriving on International flights with forged test documents.  Now digging a tunnel under the border to go on a cruise if it doesnt open when cruising begins is a whole different story..... Just sayin😬

I find it hard to believe as well, lol but I can see it happening and I've seen articles as well outlining people getting around coming back into the U.S. from Mexico by plane after testing positive while on vacation. People are creative. I think it would most likely be the lone family hold out where everyone else was vaccinated and but not themselves and they wanted to go and looked for one on Ebay or something. Like in my case, my card doesn't have my name or anything filled out on it yet- I could, in theory give/sell it to anyone who could put their name on it for use. I'm not going to because I'm going to need it myself, lol but I could. 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Given that 95% of guests must be vaccinated, and that many groups of children cannot yet be vaccinated, I can see them requiring all adults be vaxxed, and limit the children to 5% of the guests.  Lots of families will be disappointed...  EM

Not a chance. I don't cruise in the summer but summer cruising is family cruising season. I'm sure that 95% applies only to those who can be vaccinated (ie adults). I suspect it's a carve out for those who can't get vaccinated for medical/religious reasons. Children can't currently so it makes little sense to include them in that allotment. People are assuming that kids are included and I'd lean heavily that they are not. The CDC would face flack and the cruise lines don't want to lose money and be forced to give refunds to all those cruisers, not to mention the loss of goodwill with those who have been looking forward to vacation.  

it is not a HIPPA violation unless a doctor / nurse / health care provider shares your info.  anyone can ask if you are vaccinated. 

Penn State is asking students to upload their vaccine records via the schools health portal.  So I will get a copy from his doctor and upload . 

• Like 2

CDC Lawyer:  Are you guys ready to defend this in court?

Nitwit Bureaucrat: Ummm....you mean we'll have to tell the truth and...prove it?

CL: Yes, that's how a court works.

The One Adult In Atlanta: So, that guy suing us will be our boss.

NB: ooohhhhh.....crap....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, naxer said:

If it's illegal to ask a passenger's vaccine status, how will a cruise line know if 95% of its passengers are vaccinated?

It is not illegal to require that a passenger be vaccinated to sail. At least not yet anyway.  HIPAA does not apply in this instance because the cruise line is relying on the passenger to release their information voluntarily.  They are not seeking it from any other medical source.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

This is good news from the CDC! Now, the cruise lines have to react by obtain staff that is 95% vaccinated. This may still require a phased in approach. Each cruise line will have prioritize which ships and ports come on line as ships are fully staffed. This is positive movement.

If the United States can vaccinate 240 Million Americans in 100 days-I don't see how it would be much of a problem for a major corporation to vaccinate what 50,000 of its employees in 75 days. Both Galveston and Miami have signed vaccination contracts with on-land facilities to provide the vaccinations. Ships are being directed to the ports right now. The future of the cruise lines depends on meeting the requirements.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It is not illegal to require that a passenger be vaccinated to sail. At least not yet anyway.  HIPPAA does not apply in this instance because the cruise line is relying on the passenger to release their information voluntarily.  They are not seeking it from any other medical source.

In Florida, they can ask, but they cannot require an answer. 

Businesses in Florida are prohibited from requiring patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID- 19 vaccination or post-transmission recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Businesses in Florida are prohibited from requiring patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID- 19 vaccination or post-transmission recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business.

You do not have to answer, and the cruise line does not have to let you sail.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I wonder if that extends to businesses that are not on Florida ground, but docked.  This just feels like another yucky battle between a state and the federal government.

2 minutes ago, asalligo said:

That is an executive order only.  Not legislated action.  Yet.  And it will not apply to cruise lines no matter what the Governor says.  They are international commerce and travel.  State has no say.  If a cruise line requires a vaccine confirmation and a passenger does not want to provide that confirmation then they don't sail.  It would be really ironic (trying to be kind here) if the Governor would challenge this and hold up sailing from Florida just to prove a point.  He's been stomping about and filing lawsuits to get cruising going.  

• Like 5