“Always included” vs Captain’s Club benefits

retiredtman

I have been a loyal Celebrity customer for many years.  Two of the Elite Tier benefits were free nightly cocktails and wi fi.  The new “always included” program has made those benefits meaningless.  What new Captain’s Club benefits will be added to make up for the “loss”.  Loyal customers should not feel cheated or under-appreciated.

Vacations should be effortless from the start. That’s why every Celebrity cruise includes
drinks, Wi-Fi, and tips—always.* It’s that simple.

• Like 1

I've been pondering this ever since they started packaging those "choose two or three perks" deals a few years back...

We are Elite Plus (We've cruised a LOT on Celebrity for a long time)...and we always figured we were ahead of the game getting free pre-dinner drinks, 240 minutes of WiFi (enough for us on most cruises--we don't stream stuff, just check email)...

I figure a most of those perks are completely moot--though we still get that two bags of laundry each...

But, at least for ONE of my upcoming cruises, we got a great "no perks" deal prior to the current set-up...and that deal still exists after a year-long lift-and-shift so we'll take it in March 2022...

But our immediate two upcoming cruises are in a Sky Suite...So, everything and more really is included...OTOH, we're getting rewarded because we PAID a lot more for these two cruises...and, I've always said, they should reward you for PAYING what you PAY for the cruise you are on...not just because you've amassed points for past cruises...AND everyone deserves to be treated like honored customers...

However, if they still insist on making a big deal of the Captains Club thing, they really need to make the perks make some sense--even after the AI re-marketing.

First thing they should really do is to upgrade the included drink package for everyone at some level or another--at least for Elite Plus...The current "10% off" on the upgrade price is a JOKE...What do they charge to upgrade from standard to premium?  Like $10 a day?   So the "perk" becomes a whopping dollar a day discount?  And even that would do nothing for me on my next two because I get that upgrade with my Sky Suite (well, I don't really just "get" it--I pay for it).

Another thing they could do would be to throw in a specialty restaurant on the first night--not just a small discount...

Or they could set aside a special area in the MDR for Elite and above or Elite Plus or above (who are not otherwise in Luminae or Blu) with an added extra special menu item or two--similar to Princess' "Club Class" (Of course, not exactly comparable--that's how Princess deals with suites above a certain level as they don't have a Luminae or Blu, but it could work as a Captains Club perk).

Celebrity has said something to the effect of "look forward to some great changes in our loyalty programs" so I guess we need to wait and see.  I think this change is more of an effort to move towards all inclusive cruising, but there have been some who would rather not pay (and don't drink or use the internet) so I guess we'll also wait and see if the all inclusive idea works.

Tom

• Like 1

Celebrity has changed their loyalty program.  Be glad they kept it the same for much longer than the airlines and hotels as they keep devaluing the points and the miles required for award travel and nights.   The cruise lines have finally joined the rest of the pack.   The only thing you can be sure of is the degrading of travel reward programs.   You may want to try another line as you will now always be dissatisfied with Celebrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiredtman said:

I have been a loyal Celebrity customer for many years.  Two of the Elite Tier benefits were free nightly cocktails and wi fi.  The new “always included” program has made those benefits meaningless.  What new Captain’s Club benefits will be added to make up for the “loss”.  Loyal customers should not feel cheated or under-appreciated.

Celebrity has indicated that new benefits are coming, and they have identified some of them already. See https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/program-changes . The drink and wi-fi benefits were indeed made essentially meaningless for those sailing under Always Included, but Celebrity has kept those benefits for those not sailing under AI (see Bruin Steve, above). The Simply Sail "deals" also allow you to avoid AI (the savings appear to be minimal) and use the CC benefits you've enjoyed.

In addition to the new benefits, Celebrity is also currently offering discounts for Galapagos cruises for Elite and higher. Saving money via the loyalty program is always nice.

So while some of us are disturbed at specific benefits lost or watered down, others are probably quite happy for some of the benefits gained. And we are told more are coming - "As more and more members start to sail with our Always Included package and have drinks included in their ticket, we’ll be introducing new events and benefits so stay tuned."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, retiredtman said:

Vacations should be effortless from the start. That’s why every Celebrity cruise includes
drinks, Wi-Fi, and tips—always.* It’s that simple.

retiredtman,

You appear to possibly be a new poster?  There have been multiple threads here on the CC Boards on this topic since Celebrity introduced AI.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Sure are a lot of whiners in The Captains Club..

AI gives you even more 

Depends on your CC level. The higher you go, the more you lose. Loyalty benefits add costs to the bottom 

line and many businesses require to find cost savings in order to survive. The trick is to save money on benefits while retaining customer loyalty. We'll have to see what higher cost combined with a decrease in benefits impacts booking patterns especially for frequent cruisers. 

13 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Celebrity is also currently offering discounts for Galapagos cruises for Elite and higher.

When we sailed several years ago the discount for Elite was 10%, now I believe it's only 5%.   So not a new benefit, just another reduced one.

6 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

When we sailed several years ago the discount for Elite was 10%, now I believe it's only 5%.   So not a new benefit, just another reduced one.

This is not so much a benefit as a current promotion. Rather than a percent, it's a dollar amount for Elite and higher: "As one of our valued Captain’s Club members at the Elite tier or above, you can save $1,000 on ocean view staterooms and $1,500 on suites.* Offers apply to 10-16 night packages departing between 07/04/21 and 12/31/23. Plus, Classic members and above will earn 2X Club Points when booking their Galapagos Island vacation by 6/30/21." That is just under 10% for the cabin I have booked.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

retiredtman,

You appear to possibly be a new poster?  There have been multiple threads here on the CC Boards on this topic since Celebrity introduced AI.  

And of what benefit was that comment to "retiredtman"?  NONE!

We are SO sick and tired of seeing this remark on SO many threads!  "This has already been covered in other threads at Cruise Critic."  So what?  It is now being covered again ... and it will be covered yet again some day!

Good grief!  People, PLEASE just make an effort to "stay silent" once in a while!  Some people are just ADDICTED to posting their "two cents," even though it is really of no value/benefit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jg51 said:

And of what benefit was that comment to "retiredtman"?  NONE!

We are SO sick and tired of seeing this remark on SO many threads!  "This has already been covered in other threads at Cruise Critic."  So what?  It is now being covered again ... and it will be covered yet again some day!

Good grief!  People, PLEASE just make an effort to "stay silent" once in a while!  Some people are just ADDICTED to posting their "two cents," even though it is really of no value/benefit.

Go back to my post.  Benefit to a new member is that they can get a lot of info on their inquiry searching other similar threads if they know about them.  Ok with you?  Why are you reading so much into this to cause such a rant at me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Some people are just ADDICTED to posting their "two cents," even though it is really of no value/benefit.

You mean like this post? I agree with TeeRick, people should look around or do a search before posting the same subject that has already been beat to death. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hesitate to reply because I suspect my comments will be met with venom, but I visit this site infrequently to gain insight or ask a specific question.  Others apparently do so daily to troll.  In my 17 years as a member I have taken over 100 cruises on many cruise lines.  I have posted 53 times.  Some people post that much monthly.   Rather than criticize those of us who do not read the boards daily, why not enlighten us by summarizing the key issues.  Or point to previous threads. Most of my cruises have been with 6-star all-inclusive lines.  Their loyalty programs do not emphasize free wi-fi or free drinks -because they are included for everyone.  

My point was simply to encourage Celebrity - my favorite 5-star line - to revamp the CC to offer other amenities since drinks and wi-fi are now included in the cruise fare.  This should have been done before the new all-inclusive format was adopted. 

• Like 11

I’m Elite+ and cruise Celebrity Not because of that, but that is the Result of my cruise selections. Celebrity continues, at this time, to provide what I’m looking for in large Line experiences. 

And as to CC being worthless? Nope. I get drinks when I want, instead of the Happy Hr time prior to dinner. I can now get wines with dinner, and a drink later, when I do more enjoy a drink. We usually dine early so the CC HH drinks are limited time for us. Usually we’ll bring a glass in for dinner, but I like to pick a wine that goes more with my dining, so……

I’ve been Elite/Elite+ for an extended time and I’ve appreciated all the other cruisers who have paid for my added benefits, now I’m paying more for everyone else’s, so guess I’ll not complain, just enjoy a fun drink mid-day! 

Heck, one upcoming cruise, I upgraded to Retreat which means I get even a better drink package and so on and that’s without the AI. So there’s all kinds of ways of looking for “I’m being mistreated/losing out/not getting what I was-deserve-expect”. 

So, no, I think the AI is a good idea for all, and I’ll somehow survive that others get something even better than what I was getting because I cruise a Line consistently. Between those who insist they never drink, never use the Internet (except maybe Now!) and sneak down and take their gratuities off, and those Elites who feel they aren’t getting such a great deal, I bet, lets estimate 5% of the cruisers are upset. That leave 95% who……

enough. I’ll go drink my 1/2 full glass of wine and not look at it as 1/2 empty! with that said, I do realize that ‘Elite and above’ aren’t getting as good a deal as before. You should have read the threads when X changed how CC levels were changed….wow!  

Den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I’m Elite+ and cruise Celebrity Not because of that, but that is the Result of my cruise selections. Celebrity continues, at this time, to provide what I’m looking for in large Line experiences. 

And as to CC being worthless? Nope. I get drinks when I want, instead of the Happy Hr time prior to dinner. I can now get wines with dinner, and a drink later, when I do more enjoy a drink. We usually dine early so the CC HH drinks are limited time for us. Usually we’ll bring a glass in for dinner, but I like to pick a wine that goes more with my dining, so……

I’ve been Elite/Elite+ for an extended time and I’ve appreciated all the other cruisers who have paid for my added benefits, now I’m paying more for everyone else’s, so guess I’ll not complain, just enjoy a fun drink mid-day! 

Heck, one upcoming cruise, I upgraded to Retreat which means I get even a better drink package and so on and that’s without the AI. So there’s all kinds of ways of looking for “I’m being mistreated/losing out/not getting what I was-deserve-expect”. 

So, no, I think the AI is a good idea for all, and I’ll somehow survive that others get something even better than what I was getting because I cruise a Line consistently. Between those who insist they never drink, never use the Internet (except maybe Now!) and sneak down and take their gratuities off, and those Elites who feel they aren’t getting such a great deal, I bet, lets estimate 5% of the cruisers are upset. That leave 95% who……

enough. I’ll go drink my 1/2 full glass of wine and not look at it as 1/2 empty! with that said, I do realize that ‘Elite and above’ aren’t getting as good a deal as before. You should have read the threads when X changed how CC levels were changed….wow!  

Den

Agreed, part of the 95% here.

And wow is right about the reaction to CC changes..!

The point being made here is that the Captains Club perks for Elite and Elite plus were a reward for paying Celebrity many dollars for many cruises.

The AI is not free, as most people have by now noticed. It is paid for with an increase in cruise cost. The question therefore remains what are the perks over and above those that have been paid(AI) for, if you are Elite or Elite Plus. The change to AI was orchestrated with the full knowledge that it would effect Captains Club perks. To say now that we are still thinking about it shows a distinct lack of planning!

• Like 2

I have said right from the beginning that AI is not fair for people who cannot drink and people who travel solo.  Celebrity should give an option of cruise only.   I think there have been some cruises that can be booked that way 90 days from sailing, maybe?  What good is that?  All the good cabins are gone and airfare is much higher.  So, I think the only solution is to move on or accept AI.

We really felt special when we received the loyalty perks, but as has been said, they cost money and the cruise lines have to find ways now to make up for this disastrous time with no income.  i hope we can get back to some semblance of cruising as it once was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll disagree this shows a distinct lack of planning. Try this scenario. X decides to implement AI which could bring in more money, more customers and be a ‘good deal’ for X. They either start AI with the set plan of only having it for a limited time, or implement it and see if it works for them with the plan to keep it going or drop it if it’s doesnt work. Either way, AI could have a limited time. 

Now X looks at the impact on CC. Yes, anyone remotely familiar with the benefits offered realize there will be pushback because AI adversely impacts the higher CC levels. Do you immediately add new E/E+/Zenith benefits? Sounds initially a good idea. But if AI is a limited program, or if X wants to use it for an extended time, but would pull it if they see it’s not working, then what happens with the added benefits for CC? Do they take them away with AI going away? And of course the reaction of taking benefits away will be, I’d bet big time, the same/worse than the current reactions. Once you set those benefits up, it’s very tough to pull them. 

So my guess, or al least this scenario, infers X is either waiting to see if they’ll have AI for an extended time, does it work, or its short term program to jumps start business after the Pandemic. 

No idea, just another opinion based on squat. 

Den

• Like 5

I can see what Celebrity are doing and they made a terrible rod for their own back when they made it way too easy to attain the status for free drinks. And it's been obvious through the pages of this board that people played the game. I've been in an elevator when someone walks in clutching two glasses of red wine to take to dinner that they have obtained "free". 

If you stay in a suite, especially the upper level ones then Captain's Club perks are of no issue because you are getting them already and are paying for them. However, not everyone stays in a suite and rely upon the loyalty perks they have built up by cruising Celebrity often (notwithstanding the comment I made above of the ease of attaining status). Those days sadly are gone. 

Phil 

Absolutely agree! They did make it too easy to get to Elite. That's way I believe they went from the old system to a new system that gave you points per day based on your cabin category. Made it much more difficult to reach Elite and above for cabins less than a Suite. Celebrity rightfully wanted to slow down the progress toward Elite while at the same encouraging passengers to book suites where you could reach the loyalty levels more quickly. They were also wrong in their analysis of the Zenith level. They created the best perks in the industry for their most loyal customers believing that very few would ever reach 3000 points. The benefits were so good that theyserved to expand the number of Zeniths by encouraging people to book multiple cruises in Suites to reach the Zenith level. I was an example of that and I can cite many other examples.