Ships to start sailing half capacity in August from Bayonne

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I find it hard to believe any cruises will sail from NJ this year.  I hope Im wrong but living here and seeing how controlling our governor continues to be, I just can't see it happening.  

It’s so weird to me that people think this is controlling. Like hate Murphy all you want but pretty much everything is open and restaurants are now at 100% capacity. We’re pretty darn close to normal minus a couple more weeks of masks. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

How will they decide who will be sailing. I booked a sailing last year so is it who booked further out in that order

That is a very good question? Perhaps it will be done as you say or maybe they will go for the money and keep the bigger spenders or bigger past spenders on?

1 hour ago, CruiseBride926 said:

It’s so weird to me that people think this is controlling. Like hate Murphy all you want but pretty much everything is open and restaurants are now at 100% capacity. We’re pretty darn close to normal minus a couple more weeks of masks. 

Well are you vaccinated and wearing a mask inside with others vaccinated?  What did the CDC say?  How is Texas doing? Do you like being on a treadmill with a mask on with no one around you?  I dont think this is normal compared to the rest of the country.  Looking back, we heard for almost 15 months to "follow the science" so not following the CDC recommendations for vaccinated people seems controlling to me.  As I said before, I hope Im wrong but I doubt we will cruise from NJ in 2021.

I have been to Arizona, Florida, Texas, Missouri plus Cozumel and Bahamas since this started.  I was recently in Arizona at the Grand Canyon.  Huge difference in peoples covid fears in NJ and there.  I see people hiking outdoors here and biking with masks on.  People on the beach with masks on.  I suspect they are vaccinated.  I hope I am wrong as Bayonne is an hour drive for us and it would be great to leave close to home.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiseBride926 said:

He has been and still is controlling. Restaurants not 100%, with the mandated social distancing, more like 75% at best. Enough of the masking already- follow the science unless it requires him to give up his kingship.

1 hour ago, WeatherFx said:

He has been and still is controlling. Restaurants not 100%, with the mandated social distancing, more like 75% at best. Enough of the masking already- follow the science unless it requires him to give up his kingship.

Plus the death rate in NJ is the highest in the country. 

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I find it hard to believe any cruises will sail from NJ this year.  I hope Im wrong but living here and seeing how controlling our governor continues to be, I just can't see it happening.  

Thank you for turning this into yet another political thread. Way to go. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I am hoping for the best.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dizzney9915 said:

Thank you for turning this into yet another political thread. Way to go. 

Not really.  It is what it is.  I wish it was different.  I would love to have the freedom of other states as a vaccinated person.  Im hoping our governor follows other states and opens up next month as promised.  And we were one of the better states in getting everyone vaccinated.  He did a great job on the rollout.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Well are you vaccinated and wearing a mask inside with others vaccinated?  What did the CDC say?  How is Texas doing? Do you like being on a treadmill with a mask on with no one around you?  I dont think this is normal compared to the rest of the country.  Looking back, we heard for almost 15 months to "follow the science" so not following the CDC recommendations for vaccinated people seems controlling to me.  As I said before, I hope Im wrong but I doubt we will cruise from NJ in 2021.

I have been to Arizona, Florida, Texas, Missouri plus Cozumel and Bahamas since this started.  I was recently in Arizona at the Grand Canyon.  Huge difference in peoples covid fears in NJ and there.  I see people hiking outdoors here and biking with masks on.  People on the beach with masks on.  I suspect they are vaccinated.  I hope I am wrong as Bayonne is an hour drive for us and it would be great to leave close to home.  

Masks aren’t required outdoors so if you’re seeing it then that’s a personal decision.

3 hours ago, CruiseBride926 said:

Yea, I find the comment interesting too, and assume it's just politically motivated, as a non-biased Upstate NYer, I read this article yesterday while trying to find more information on the reopening of the port (it's unrelated to reopening, but states how much is getting back to normal): https://www.nj.com/hudson/2021/05/its-beginning-to-look-a-lot-like-normal-in-bayonne.html

1 minute ago, CruiseBride926 said:

Masks aren’t required outdoors so if you’re seeing it then that’s a personal decision.

if you read what I said, I was inferring that peoples attitudes are different in NJ as opposed to another part of the country.  I live here.  I see a lot of people wearing masks outside.  I think its sad.  

4 hours ago, CruiseBride926 said:

Isn't the Port Authority responsible for the ports? I'm sure Murphy has a say in it but I don't think he'll overrule the PA.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

if you read what I said, I was inferring that peoples attitudes are different in NJ as opposed to another part of the country.  I live here.  I see a lot of people wearing masks outside.  I think its sad.  

And I think people's decisions to protect themselves and others, especially if they aren't vaccinated, to be admirable

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CI66774 said:

Are you sure about that? Has Abbott confirmed that his EO doesn’t apply to the Port of Galveston?

Since it is not the Port of Galveston making the requirement but an international entity, the Abbott EO does not apply. RCG is not a state office, nor have they received state money.

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

4 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

And I think people's decisions to protect themselves and others, especially if they aren't vaccinated, to be admirable

I am 100% in agreement with MommaBear.  We MOMS stick together.  😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, exm said:

Isn't the Port Authority responsible for the ports? I'm sure Murphy has a say in it but I don't think he'll overrule the PA.

The PA is headed by people APPOINTED by the Governors of New York and New Jersey.

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not the current death rate.  Obviously they had a horrific start however if you only look at recent results they are definitely not the highest. 

Tell that to family members of all the early victims. A real shame what happened.

10 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

Tell that to family members of all the early victims. A real shame what happened.

I’m far from saying it was a tragedy.  I’m saying that if you are looking at ports opening there is no need to exclude NJ as it now seems to be under control.  You cannot use over one years worth of data to support an argument to keep the port closed.  You need to look at current data. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Odyssey was my first thought too. And Oasis.  I am just happy about the news.

Trying to make a some sense of this Bayonne topic with the Odyssey coming to Bayonne. So what would happen to the oasis that was supposed to start in May and go into September out of Bayonne. Is this to mean that possibly people booked on the oasis would be given an option to sail on the Odyssey instead with the Oasis getting cancelled to operate from Bayonne and be utilized elsewhere? Your comments are all appreciated ! Thanks.

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Looking back, we heard for almost 15 months to "follow the science" so not following the CDC recommendations for vaccinated people seems controlling to me.  As I said before, I hope Im wrong but I doubt we will cruise from NJ in 2021.

I have been to Arizona, Florida, Texas, Missouri plus Cozumel and Bahamas since this started.  I was recently in Arizona at the Grand Canyon. 

I too hope you get to sail from Bayonne in 2021. After "following the science" these past 15 months and only traveling to Arizona, Florida, Texas, Missouri plus Cozumel and Bahamas you deserve to cruise/travel again. 

We've been "following the science" as well and are hoping our fall cruise on Oasis sails from Bayonne. It will be our first travel in more than 15 months.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I am someone who will continue to use a mask despite being vaccinated as I have had the healthiest year I have had in the last 20, and I attribute that to not being exposed to any pathogens. I happen to have severe lung disease and it's been really nice to stay out of the hospital. It was also really nice to have a warm face while skiing. 

• Like 3