Canadians Can Now Cruise To Alaska

We’ve sailed to Alaska twice, Celebrity and HAL, and it was quite nice, but not an itinerary we would choose again.  Not quite sure why so many folks would move mountains to sail there and pay such high prices, as well.  To each their own and that’s what makes cruising so perfect......something for everyone.  Wishing you all Bon Voyage!

• Like 5

On 5/22/2021 at 7:30 PM, Lady Arwen said:

We’ve sailed to Alaska twice, Celebrity and HAL, and it was quite nice, but not an itinerary we would choose again.  Not quite sure why so many folks would move mountains to sail there and pay such high prices, as well.  To each their own

I agree with your thinking.  I have sailed on one and one-fourth world cruises.  Enjoyed both and would do so again if I would be able to do so.  But, to sail on such annually?  To each their own, indeed!

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, Lido deck main said:

I think most second shots will be August or September so we will gladly join the party in late September early October

Most second shots will be in June and July.  Canada has already given a single dose to more than half of its population - more than the U.S.  Based on current immunization rates, Canada will likely have passed the U.S. in terms of % of people fully vaccinated by late July when these cruises start.

Edited by westcoaster
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

Most second shots will be in June and July.  Canada has already given a single dose to more than half of its population - more than the U.S.  Based on current immunization rates, Canada will likely have passed the U.S. in terms of % of people fully vaccinated by late July when these cruises start.

Sorry, I disagree.  I know you have started them in BC but here in New Brunswick (not a hot spot) we are still working on the first jabs for the younger people.  There is also concern about the flow of vaccine in the summer.

I’m with @Lido deck mainand think it will be closer to August or September here, at least.  I’ll happily eat my hat, crow or anything else if I am wrong and it is sooner 😉  And do a happy dance.

Now to hope Canada lifts it’s travel advisory on cruising soon 🤞 

• Like 3

Canada is forecast to receive delivery of more than 65 million vaccine doses by the end of July.  That's enough for every Canadian aged 12 and over to get two doses.  Most provinces have said they will be able to give first shots to everyone who wants one by mid-June.  After that, there will be a very fast ramp-up of second doses. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry, I disagree.  I know you have started them in BC but here in New Brunswick (not a hot spot) we are still working on the first jabs for the younger people.  There is also concern about the flow of vaccine in the summer.

I’m with @Lido deck mainand think it will be closer to August or September here, at least.  I’ll happily eat my hat, crow or anything else if I am wrong and it is sooner 😉  And do a happy dance.

Now to hope Canada lifts it’s travel advisory on cruising soon 🤞 

Many here are now getting 2nd shot (BC).  My daughter has her appt scheduled for June 1.

6 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Many here are now getting 2nd shot (BC).  My daughter has her appt scheduled for June 1.

That’s great your daughter is able to get her second shot June 1st, perhaps she is in the health care field, or lives in a high risk area where they have a lot of cases.  My MIL, who is 86, lives in assisted living, in B.C. their facility residents just got their first shot in March.  She was scheduled to get her second shot in July and has now been advised it will be late June.  I live in Vancouver, early 60’s, I registered with our provincial system and got my shot based on the age based and I just got my first shot two weeks ago.  The person at the clinic who gave me my shot, identified herself as a physician. Without me asking about the second shot she offered the information that the second shots might occur in three months rather than four months, which would take me to August for my second shot if three months, otherwise it will be September.  About three quarters of the people I work with just got their first shot in the last two weeks.  The others are still waiting, the 30 and under, but most have it scheduled for this week.  I know one person,  who is 83 years old,  who had second shot, he had his first shot in January  as his wife was in the hospital in January, so he was able to get his first shot when she got hers. And his second shot was just last week.   There must be some special circumstance for your daughter to have second shot for June 1st. 

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

The 85-year old father of my friend in Toronto got his first shot yesterday and his second appointment is late September.

definitely something amiss there  - Toronto vaccinated that age group first out of the gate (feb and March) , and they were a group to be given both shots for full vaccination before moving to single shot with a greater delay to second shot for the lower age and less risk groups.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, kazu said:

There are quarantine requirements here right now - 14 days.

Vaccinations are changing that but it will be a while IMO.

Can’t comment on arrival in the United States, sorry.

Vaccines are progressing here.  First jab % of the population here just passed the United States but we are way behind on the 2nd jab.  that will come in time.

They are already designated and you pay the price.  3 days and tested - if you pass then you can then proceed to quarantine at home IIRC for the remainder of the time.  And yes, we do have “quarantine police” that check on you.

Most of our airports here in Atlantic Canada had ceased flights as so few people wanted to leave the Maritimes and our borders were basically closed to not just the U.S. but to Western Canada.  They will be restarting in June IIRC.

First jabs don’t count. Only full vaccinated stats are relevant.

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Been on the waiting list for almost 30 days.before first shot on Saturday.

That’s nuts. I just walked in and got my shot the same day (in the US).

Edited by CI66774

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Been on the waiting list for almost 30 days.before first shot on Saturday.

67 yo Ontario here. I signed up online with the drugstore as soon as I was able (April 1) to be on a waiting list. I heard nothing except two weeks ago an email stating "Thank you for you patience".

Lucky for me, the local PHU opened up two days later for my age group and I registered with them. I had my first shot April 13. 

Had I waited with the drugstore, I would have waited...and waited. I finally got an email last Wednesday for a Friday opening with the drugstore, and, if Friday hadn't worked.....I'd have been waiting again.

Not impressed with the Shoppers/Loblaws vaccination programme here in Ontario.

We signed up and we were able to book appointments for April 10, which was one week later.  We are both early 70s.  No problems at all.  It was held at a large clinic at a local community centre.  You really had to be pro-active and search out all your options on a regular basis.  Our original appointments were for May, but we kept looking every day for ones sooner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CI66774 said:

That is not quite true. First, there is some immunity from the first shot. And more importantly you cannot get a second shot until you have received a first shot.

And then there are Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca which are one shot vaccines.

You could have also said with the same accuracy and inaccuracy that second shots do not count until 2 weeks have passed from the date of the vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CI66774 said:

That’s nuts. I just walked in and got my shot the same day (in the US).

That's because the vax program in USA is coming to an end. First shots have been in steep decline since April. Recent uptick because vax has been opened to teens. But, the uptick will only last another 2 weeks.

Its scary because MS has only vax 33% of its population. Has not moved for over a month!

Capture.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That is not quite true. First, there is some immunity from the first shot. And more importantly you cannot get a second shot until you have received a first shot.

And then there are Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca which are one shot vaccines.

You could have also said with the same accuracy and inaccuracy that second shots do not count until 2 weeks have passed from the date of the vaccination.

AstraZeneca is not one shot.  Only Jansen/Johnson & Johnson is one shot at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CI66774 said:

Canada is not alone on the approach of focusing on getting a first dose into more people over fully vaccinating when resources are limited. Effectiveness of first doses are now reporting to be around 80% - hardly irrelevant. 

If you have 100 people and 100 doses - 100 of them with 80% protection is much better statistically than 50 of people at 95% protection.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Canada is not alone on the approach of focusing on getting a first dose into more people over fully vaccinating when resources are limited. Effectiveness of first doses are now reporting to be around 80% - hardly irrelevant. 

Unfortunately the first shot does not give the same protection from the newer Indian variant (B.1617.2) that is starting to affect UK and Europe.  Only 33% effective after the first dose but rising to 88% after the second dose.  (source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vaccines-offer-high-levels-of-protection-against-indian-variant-after-two-doses-study-1.4572751 )

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Unfortunately the first shot does not give the same protection from the newer Indian variant (B.1617.2) that is starting to affect UK and Europe.  Only 33% effective after the first dose but rising to 88% after the second dose.  (source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vaccines-offer-high-levels-of-protection-against-indian-variant-after-two-doses-study-1.4572751 )

I know it’s far from perfect, but Canada has had a ban on arrivals from India (and Pakistan) for some time and has extended it until well into June.  Time for more vaccinations, including second doses...

Suspension of flights from India

The Government of Canada has suspended flights from India until June 21, 2021.

During that period, passengers who travel to Canada from India via an indirect route will need to obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada.

Travellers who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 must provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test conducted between 14 and 90 days prior to departure, instead of a negative COVID-19 molecular test. This proof must be obtained in a third country before the continuation of the journey to Canada. You might need to seek entry and stay in a third country for at least 14 days.

Keep in mind:

• certain countries do not allow entry or transit from passengers arriving from India or from passengers who have previously tested positive to COVID-19
  • COVID-19 testing for passengers in transit might not be available in all international airports or third countries
  • if you test positive during transit, you may be quarantined or sent back to your point of departure

Carefully consider your itinerary, transit options and entry requirements for third countries.

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

that study is strictly for a specific newer variant, I was referring to the predominant strains  we have in North America -

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-one-shot-effectiveness-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-vaccines-dose-2021-3

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We can argue about percentages all day. But, what matters is what's happening on the ground. 🙄

Fact is that delayed-dose jurisdictions are doing well. Nothing speaks louder than success?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the importance of the second dose, where variants are concerned it could be a recipe for disaster.   

Yes to this.

I admit I'm getting very jaded.  Every time I hear that it's okay to delay the second dose, I am reminded of the beginning of the pandemic when they said we don't need to wear masks.  The reality was we just didn't have enough masks to go around at that time.  And now perhaps they don't have enough second doses to go around.  For me...I'd want that second dose in a timely manner and I'd proactively pursue it.  Just me

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

That is what my Canadian friends cannot understand.  There were no positive tests whatsoever.  The term "harassment" is what my friend in Ontario used to describe their experience.  

Definitely sounds like harassment.