To Vax or not to vax...that is the question

On 5/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, evandbob said:

Several news outlets reported today that educational differences are one of the major factors in vaccine acceptance or rejection.

https://news.usc.edu/182848/education-covid-19-vaccine-safety-risks-usc-study/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30239-X/fulltext

Of course, other factors such as income, age, political leanings, gender and neighborhood have influence, but education levels seem to be the most effective determinant. The more education one has, the more likely they have gotten vaccinated.

As for Celebrity vs. Carnival, anecdotally I've met more cruisers with a masters' degree on Celebrity than on Carnival.

Three points:

1) We have neighbors who are very highly educated and only cruise on Carnival.

2) There are very highly intelligent people in the world who never went to college.

3) I have been cruising since 1973 and I have never been asked about my education.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Three points:

2) There are very highly intelligent people in the world who never went to college.

3) I have been cruising since 1973 and I have never been asked about my education.

“Educational differences” does not always mean intellectual differences or differences in the ability to pass tests. In this case it could mean exposure to information. Have you ever been in a house in a Kentucky holler for instance? Not highly exposed to outside influence.

Further, a great deal of education does not equate to intelligence.I hope your point 1 was your famed attempt at sarcasm.

I have only been asked about my level of education by those who assume their level is higher.

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’m especially weary of the news that if you’ve had Covid and then got the shots, that you’ll never need a booster after that (implying permanent immunity).

Not sure where you got that news from.

It's almost certain that booster jabs will be needed for the most susceptible - the UK is talking about giving booster shots to the over 70s alongside the annual flu jab, later this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not quite sure what you mean -- do you mean "weary" like you're tired of hearing it?  Or "wary" as in you are skeptical?

I'm not sure that I have actually heard this as an actual medical claim. To the best of my understanding the current state of knowledge is that neither natural immunity NOR vaccination are likely to be permanent. However, we really don't know yet just how long either one will last. 

One possible argument for vaccination following infection (for me anyway) that appears justifiable is that the vaccines -- at least the mRNA ones -- likely do a creditable job of protecting you against some of the variants that are out there. This has actually been reported. Natural immunity may only be protective against the strain that you were infected with....

I’m weary of people correcting my spelling and grammar 😂 

What I meant was skeptical (wary)

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Three points:

The only time I ever remember mentioning my education was when the person next to me at dinner mentioned his alma mater and year of graduation. I graduated from the same place one year prior, so there were some things to talk about in common.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The only time I ever remember mentioning my education was when the person next to me at dinner mentioned his alma mater and year of graduation. I graduated from the same place one year prior, so there were some things to talk about in common.

I have had the same experience.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But, I bet the first thing you asked was not did you go to hockey games.

Nope.Have you ever posted to a person on CC who graduated the same college as you ? One of the CC regulars and I are graduates of the same college .He graduated 2 years after me.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If a person opens up at the beginning of the cruise by reciting their resume including where they went to college, I will avoid that person for the entire cruise.

Sorry buddy but “I couldn’t care less where you went to school”

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

If a person opens up at the beginning of the cruise by reciting their resume including where they went to college, I will avoid that person for the entire cruise.

Sorry buddy but “I couldn’t care less where you went to school”

One of the reasons I prefer to dine solo...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

One of the reasons I prefer to dine solo...

I can understand your choice, especially given your line of work, but not everyone has such an awful opening conversational gambit. 

For example, I prefer to talk about the weather for 10 minutes, and then discuss the intricacies of my latest ingrowing toenail surgery. It's surprising how many people are so rivited by my conversation that they need to rush off to call their close friends and pass on my comments.

For some reason, I never tend to have the same table mates twice.

Hopefully we can meet up some day to compare notes!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Did a survey on 2 different sites .

Question was “would you cruise if proof of Vax was not required”

Carnival - 55% yes (45% no)

Celebrity - 15% yes (85% no)

Anyone shocked?  How does one explain such a disparity ?

I hesitate to say it, but younger and dumber?  vs older and wiser

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

Judgemental much? ...though I'm sure a thread with a survey is accurate lol, I sure would use it to judge people as dumber. .. or wiser.

I live in texas so I mostly go out of Galveston which right now means rcl or carnival. Princess early on and ncl gave Houston a try. Right now most of my loyalty pts are on carnival. ..and I am highly educated and did well in schools. I'm smart enough to know all cruiselines have good pts and bad pts. ..even celebrity. Nothing for or against celebrity other than I have to fly to do it. 

I love the ocean and would cruise all the time if I could, doesnt matter the ship or line.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Three points:

They are the reason we have this forum, computers, keyboards, email, and basically all tech. The vast majority has been brought to you by college drop outs. 🤯

12 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

Or, younger and less afraid vs older and frailer? Could be a number of variants to explain the causation. The confirmation bias you applied doesn't confirm your hypothesis.    

We suspect that our annual flu shot may well be replaced by an annual covid booster.  Not a biggie for us either way.

Covid is new.  It is mutating.  As the knowledge base expands I would expect that treatments, preventions, etc. to change in concert with this knowledge base.  No different than any other medical treatments.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

They are the reason we have this forum, computers, keyboards, email, and basically all tech. The vast majority has been brought to you by college drop outs. 🤯

But they did all go to college😜

My niece's husband has been to university-and graduated in the sciences stream.   He is very computer literate.  He is an anti vaxxer who does not believe that covid is a pandemic.  

He believes, and spouts off, every half baked and no baked idea that comes across his facebook screen.  All the usual nonsense including microchips, world government, freedom...the lot.  

He is a specimen for sure.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

As well as students thrown out of the institution.

We can debate the vax issue forever (folks have been doing that for many years about numerous vaccinations) and perhaps debate/discussion is good for the soul.  But the reality for international travelers and cruisers is that you either sit home and whine or you get vaccinated and travel/cruise.  Perhaps this will change in the future, but the reality is that being fully vaccinated is currently the key that opens many travel/cruise doors.  

For those folks that refuse to get vaccinated, or various reasons, they will likely need to stand on the sidelines and hope their situation improves.    We have 3 cruises scheduled for the remainder of this year (July, Oct and Dec) and all require that every passenger be fully vaccinated.  There are also vaccine requirements to even enter the two countries (Greece and Barbados) where these cruises embark.  Those that choose not to get vaccinated can chat all they want, but they will not be on any of these cruises.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hank, I have 3 booked for this year too! Same months as well🙂.....all vaxed and ready to go!

When in July is your cruise? Is it to Greece? 

And your post is spot on, in my opinion. I agree with you 100%.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Hank, I have 3 booked for this year too! Same months as well🙂.....all vaxed and ready to go!

When in July is your cruise? Is it to Greece? 

And your post is spot on, in my opinion. I agree with you 100%.

Our next cruise is at the end of the July and yes, it is out of Pireaus to some Greek Islands and Cyprus.  We are then staying in Greece for a few days to do some additional island hopping.  DW and I want to show our appreciation to the Greek government for having some common sense in opening up to tourism.

Hank