To Vax or not to vax...that is the question

Did a survey on 2 different sites .

Question was “would you cruise if proof of Vax was not required”

Carnival - 55% yes (45% no)

Celebrity - 15% yes (85% no)

Anyone shocked?  How does one explain such a disparity ?

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Haha 1

• Luckiestmanonearth changed the title to To Vax or not to vax...that is the question
9 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

The only thing shocking would be the need to explain it.  I expect you’d also find that premium/luxury lines had an even lower “yes” component for all of the obvious demographic reasons.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, c-boy said:

generational differences 

A lot of our younger generation are lining up  now to get the vaccine

I would think older people would be getting it as well

Aside from the obvious "Carnival cruisers are neanderthals" comments we are going to see, I'd like to offer a different take. There was no reported COVID death on a Carnival cruise while Celebrity had 2. The average age of a Celebrity cruiser is older than Carnival's. 

You average vacationer really doesn't care about everyone being vaccinated as much as the internet makes it sound like. Aside from the fear of the Ruby Princess or quarantine happening again, Florida shows exactly why many people just don't care anymore.

22 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You average vacationer really doesn't care about everyone being vaccinated as much as the internet makes it sound like. 

I'm curious how you come by this knowledge? What is it based on? Who is the "average vacationer"?  Just in the US or from anywhere? Cruisers or non-cruisers?

Or is this just some kind of gut feeling of yours?

I can only speak for myself -- but as a cruiser and traveler whose travels are mostly NOT in the US, I can say that it matters quite a bit to me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Thanks for the thread.  This reaffirms why I would never want to cruise on Carnival, even if I've never tried it.

Last I read Carnival Corp is going to require vaccinations for all of their brands.  If that is true, then I really don't care what people vote on an internet forum.      

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm curious how you come by this knowledge? What is it based on? Who is the "average vacationer"?  Just in the US or from anywhere? Cruisers or non-cruisers?

I can only speak for myself -- but as a cruiser and traveler whose travels are mostly NOT in the US, I can say that it matters quite a bit to me.

Having spent over a month this past year in spots like Hilton Head, Florida, etc I think it is more than a gut feeling. The amount of people that refused to wear a mask, social distance, or really take any measures, makes me fairly confident that they aren't demanding vaccination. I would venture to say this is roughly the same type of market that would be looking for cruises.

Some people must think Carnival hasn't taken a strong vaccine stance because they are right-wing, anti-vaxx, science-deniers. Maybe, just maybe, there was some customer insight that told them this.

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Some people must think Carnival hasn't taken a strong vaccine stance because they are right-wing, anti-vaxx, science-deniers. Maybe, just maybe, there was some customer insight that told them this.

I'm not arguing this point. I often think (and have posted) that most of the cruise lines have more insight into customer feelings and preferences than many on CC give them credit for.

My point was more along the lines of how you in particular determined what the "average traveler" feels.  Like many, it appears based on your answer that you are equating the "average traveler" with yourself and those similar to you -- a mistake made by many when making assumptions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree, and the “answer” you received is simply one person’s anecdotal evidence.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Having spent over a month this past year in spots like Hilton Head, Florida, etc I think it is more than a gut feeling. The amount of people that refused to wear a mask, social distance, or really take any measures, makes me fairly confident that they aren't demanding vaccination. I would venture to say this is roughly the same type of market that would be looking for cruises.

Pardon the somewhat broad brushstroke but the tourism environment in the Southeastern US in general (even including affluent Hilton Head) is vastly different than the Northeast and the entire West Coast. 

• Like 2

I would venture to say that a relevant factor to the disparity is that carnival cruisers are much more likely to be cruising with children than celebrity cruisers. And until children of all ages are eligible to receive the vaccine, vaccinations being required for all guests won’t work for family cruisers.

You also have to consider the cruisers on each. I enjoy celebrity cruises but find the people who post on the celebrity board more judge mental and intolerant than other boards. Like the kind of cruisers who say that they were enjoying a wonderful

djnner and someone walked in in jeans and they were so offended they left. I’m not surprised that more people on the celebrity board will only cruise if everyone else on their cruise gets vaccinated. Because they got vaccinated so clearly that is the only acceptable way to behave. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Are you saying you don't care what kind of people you are around?  Some people like being in bars.  Some people like being in ball parks.  Some people like being in libraries.  And some don't like any of those things.  It's a reflection of the experience I expect on that cruise ship based on the responses.

I'm not judging those folks as they can feel, think and do whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights.  But I don't want to spend a week cooped up on a ship where the atmosphere is not to my liking and that's what I very much expect it to be. 

Not at all.  This is about vaccines I thought.  I'm saying if the cruise line says they will require vaccines, then a poll on a forum doesn't really matter to me.  I hope all cruise lines require vaccines until this pandemic is fully managed.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I would venture to say that a relevant factor to the disparity is that carnival cruisers are much more likely to be cruising with children than celebrity cruisers. And until children of all ages are eligible to receive the vaccine, vaccinations being required for all guests won’t work for family cruisers.

You also have to consider the cruisers on each. I enjoy celebrity cruises but find the people who post on the celebrity board more judge mental and intolerant than other boards. Like the kind of cruisers who say that they were enjoying a wonderful

djnner and someone walked in in jeans and they were so offended they left. I’m not surprised that more people on the celebrity board will only cruise if everyone else on their cruise gets vaccinated. Because they got vaccinated so clearly that is the only acceptable way to behave. 

We use Celebrity quite a bit.  Celebrity allows jeans, even on their chic night (what they call their dressy night).   But regardless, I understand your point about being over-the-top offended by silly things.   But I do not agree that the COVID vaccines are the same as a silly dress code violation.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We use Celebrity quite a bit.  Celebrity allows jeans, even on their chic night (what they call their dressy night).   But regardless, I understand your point about being over-the-top offended by silly things.   But I do not agree that the COVID vaccines are the same as a silly dress code violation.  

I’m not really saying those are the same thing. But the attitude that ‘what I think is the only way that’s ok’ is. I think vaccinated cruises are likely to be occurring because that’s the only way the CDC will allow it. But in real life I don’t really care if everyone else is vaccinated. I’m vaccinated, so what other people do or don’t do doesn’t really bother me. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I’m not really saying those are the same thing. But the attitude that ‘what I think is the only way that’s ok’ is. I think vaccinated cruises are likely to be occurring because that’s the only way the CDC will allow it. But in real life I don’t really care if everyone else is vaccinated. I’m vaccinated, so what other people do or don’t do doesn’t really bother me. 

OMG, someone who actually lets the science guide their actions instead of all of the induced hysteria.

👏👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I understand.  My concerns are things like a botched itinerary or shipboard restrictions because unvaccinated folk come down with the virus.  Hence, my preference for the vaccine requirement until such a time as the pandemic is managed.  Walking down the street, I could care less about someone's vaccination status.  That is, as long as I don't have to listen to their anti-vaxxer silliness. 

Edited by ldubs
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I understand.  My concerns are things like a botched itinerary or shipboard restrictions because unvaccinated folk come down with the virus.  Hence, my preference for the vaccine requirement until such a time as the pandemic is managed.  Walking down the street, I could care less about someone's vaccination status.  That is, as long as I don't have to listen to their anti-vaxxer silliness. 

it’s also probably a relevant factor that I have no intention of being one of the first to cruise. I have a 2021 vacation planned. My next cruise is probably going to be Alaska, which I would consider for 2022, but not until I see cruising restart and being successful. So do I need to see cruises being fully vaccinated at first. Not really. Probably would be a good idea, but since I won’t be on them so it’s not my dice that’s being rolled. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I read the Carnival and Celebrity boards frequently.  This disparity does not shock me one bit.  

The UK cruising Seacations,  that require 100% vaccinations for all pax seem to have sold extremely well. 

Hopefully, the message will have reached the HQ of every cruise line - demanding all pax are vaccinated will increase bookings. Those that do not wish to be vaccinated can just stay at home.   

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The UK cruising Seacations,  that require 100% vaccinations for all pax seem to have sold extremely well. 

Hopefully, the message will have reached the HQ of every cruise line - demanding all pax are vaccinated will increase bookings. Those that do not wish to be vaccinated can just stay at home.   

Which would improve the likelihood of intelligent conversation at a shared dinner table.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Shocked? You're kidding, right? Let's just leave it at  these lines appeal to different demographics.

There was an interesting article in today's  Toronto Star that looked at the demographic characteristics of pro vaxx/mask/mitigation restrictions Canadians vs the anti/denier Canadians. I'm going to assume a survey like this in the US would be similar. I'd say these would align fairly well with the what the OP found.