Masks Mandatory in Most Locations per Cruise Ticket Contract

Just signed in for July 24 cruise on AOS out of Nassau.  Section 4, b, (4) of the Cruise Ticket Contract provided during Sign In clearly states “ (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger?s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions...”. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t read a whole lot into this yet — they are going to put that in regardless, because they need to have the flexibility of requiring it at any time.  And until shortly before a ship sails, they may not know the percentage of vaccinated/not vaccinated on a given sailing.  It’s a CYA provision that they can disregard if the situation allows

• Like 7

The cruise contract was last updated October 2020. Even it has language saying if it is different from the health info provided online, the online items govern it.

Edited by dswallow

What the chances if 1 person gets Covid, the Captain gets on the intercom and explains the situation and says from this time forward the masks go on whenever out of your cabin, or eating or in the pool.

I can see that happening. Captain rules when out at sea..........He may not want to be the ship that ruins it for everyone. 

• Like 3

Edit:   What the chances if 1 person gets Covid, the Captain gets on the intercom and explains the situation and says from this time forward the masks go on whenever out of your cabin,  inless you are eating or in the pool.

I can see that happening. Captain rules when out at sea..........He may not want to be the ship that ruins it for everyone. 

Thex require to have this flexibility and given that masks are not very popular as we see in this forum the cruise lines doesn't want to be in a situation the passengers will start to complain and request refunds etc because mask are "ruining" their cruise vacation.

58 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Thex require to have this flexibility and given that masks are not very popular as we see in this forum the cruise lines doesn't want to be in a situation the passengers will start to complain and request refunds etc because mask are "ruining" their cruise vacation.

Don't think that will even be given one thought about. Captain decides they think it is best to do they will do it.

If you are one of the first ones taking these early cruises if you don't think that is a possibility you are just kidding yourself and should stay home.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Don't think that will even being giving one thought about. Captain decides they think it is best to do they will do it.

If you are one of the first ones taking these early cruises if you don't think that is a possibility you are just kidding yourself and should stay home.

Agreed. I think it's still a tad bit too early to go cruising... at least for me. I do not want to wear a mask on a cruise vacation. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Agreed. I think it's still a tad bit too early to go cruising... at least for me. I do not want to wear a mask on a cruise vacation. 

Same here. I love cruising and want to cruise real bad but won't do so if masks are required, we can wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

That doesn't surprise me, and quite frankly, I'm used to it at this point.  I work in healthcare and wear my masks 8-10+ hours a day anyway, when you count going out in public.

I'm so used to wearing one now also so it wouldn't bother me. 

• Like 2

Being retired and living where masks were never mandated I have not gotten used to wearing one.  The last 3 weeks the mask has stayed at the bottom of my purse because none of the places I go (even the nail salon) has not required them.  I have no interest in booking a cruise until I know that masks will not be part of the trip no matter what happens.  Until then we will vacation on land where we can pack up and leave if masks are needed.  Being stuck on a ship wearing a mask is not something I want to do.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Actually, I think we should all be cruising and the CDC is a tad too late w/ the mandated wearing of masks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I'm so used to wearing one now also so it wouldn't bother me. 

I feel the same way. Just don't make wearing a bikini mandatory or I will stay home!! 🏝️ 🛳️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, landerslp said:

So the alternative is requiring vaccinations.  Unvaccinated should wear masks and vaccinated do not is newest CDC guidance. 

The issue is that, as the guidance is written, once the unvaccinated number on the ship reaches 5% then EVERYONE is treated as unvaccinated. Masks, social

distancing, and capacity control for EVERYONE. 

A lot of stores here are not requiring masks but 80% of the customers still do. Vaccinated people are more protected by their vaccine then a little virtual signaling piece of material over their face,, according to the science.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Being retired and living where masks were never mandated I have not gotten used to wearing one.  The last 3 weeks the mask has stayed at the bottom of my purse because none of the places I go (even the nail salon) has not required them.  I have no interest in booking a cruise until I know that masks will not be part of the trip no matter what happens.  Until then we will vacation on land where we can pack up and leave if masks are needed.  Being stuck on a ship wearing a mask is not something I want to do.

Yesterday I got a haircut sans mask for the first time in a year.......glorious 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SailorMarg said:

Just signed in for July 24 cruise on AOS out of Nassau.  Section 4, b, (4) of the Cruise Ticket Contract provided during Sign In clearly states “ (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger?s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions...”. 

Same thing was in the first Celebrity cruise doc's as well.

Edited by Blauelini

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The issue is that, as the guidance is written, once the unvaccinated number on the ship reaches 5% then EVERYONE is treated as unvaccinated. Masks, social

distancing, and capacity control for EVERYONE. 

RCCL will be running all their cruise this way.  Celebrity is running their's at the 95% rule. 

40 minutes ago, Blauelini said:

RCCL will be running all their cruise this way.  Celebrity is running their's at the 95% rule. 

RCCL is prepping to run their cruises this way, if the 95% threshold is reached a different set of rules will apply. In August when the require 12 and up to have vaccines, reaching this threshold will be easier and more common. 

2 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

A lot of stores here are not requiring masks but 80% of the customers still do. Vaccinated people are more protected by their vaccine then a little virtual signaling piece of material over their face,, according to the science.

My husband and I went to a grocery store (Mariano's, parent company is Kroger), and for the first time they had a sign on the door saying that vaccinated customers didn't have to wear a mask. I heard that our Costco also has the same sign now. Most of their employees weren't wearing masks, but I'd say most of the customers still were. (It was a very windy day and we wouldn't have even seen the sign if my husband hadn't physically flipped it back down. It was taped to the door only at the top of the sign, and the wind was keeping it flipped up, so maybe they didn't see it?) We both had our masks on, but I took mine off once we got inside and I saw some without. Gotta admit, it felt really strange, but we're both fully vaxxed and at some point you have to trust the science and we do. If a business requires masks, I have no problem wearing one. We even saw a couple of people wearing their vaccination cards on lanyards.  Talked to one of them in line, and he said he was more worried about people thinking he was an unmasked anti-vaxxer.

There are businesses in Chicago that check for vaccination status.  Our daughter met co-workers in person for the first time on Thursday night at a bar in Wrigleyville and if you were vaxxed you got a wristband.