The Daily for Saturday May 29, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Jazz Day, Learn About Composting Day, and Julia Pierpont Day

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something. - Wilson Mizner

Meal suggestion for today - Lobster Rolls

Drink of the Day - Caipirinha

Wine of the day - Crios by Susana Balbo Malbec - Argentina - Red

Port of the Day - Southampton (London) England

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Freeport BS eta 5/30

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/30
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Operations off coast

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0529USA.thumb.png.38dd4edef5152a5b26f5120698a7c957.png

0529Europe.thumb.png.68168c3bea0142cf4e668f411eeb0260.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days, thanks for the link about Julia Pierpont.  My hubby likes jazz and we have a composter in the backyard.

Perfect definition of gambling.

The dinner suggestion sounds great, but I'm going to put a roast in the slow cooker.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

We have been to London a few times, not sure where the pictures are, probably not saved on the computer.  Looking forward to seeing other photos.

We had frost overnight, hope my plants are okay.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.

A toast to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the daily report. Interesting collection of days, I love jazz and listen to it every evening.  I wish I had the room to compost on our roof deck but sadly do not.  What a wonderful gift Miss Pierpot gave us.  Since we’re in Maine a lobster roll is a great idea, besides the weather is so dismal at the moment eating could be the main activity today!  Only passed through Southampton to board the QM2 to New York.  I only remember a lovely sunny afternoon sailing out of the harbor.  Prayers to all those in need and cheers to those with celebrations.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  My favorite of the days would be Jazz Day.  Love the quote.  Cheers to composters, and I'll need to learn about Peirpont later.  With many Cunard transatlantics I love Southampton.  I'll pass on the Lobster Roll.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, and Tournedos Rossini as served on MS Prinsendam May 29, 2015.  I'll need to post pretty quickly as I will leave soon to walk in the mall garage as it will likely rain all day.  Then groceries, takeout at Panera, a Men's group meeting with my church, and a TV academic program.  I most likely won't be back until after 10:30.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Ofmyheart

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

USNA Class of 2021

Retrieval of escaped pet alligator

StLouisCruisers visit with Nancy

Plans for Mary229's sisters

smitty34877 for supporting grandson

Congratulations to Connor, my troop’s newest Eagle Scout

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days!

I swear I have so much compost in the spring and fall that I have to share some of my bags with my neighbours.  Otherwise there are too many for them to pick up.  My next door neighbour doesn’t compost (or garden) so this spring she has let me borrow hers which has really helped.  

20406008-9AB2-4579-A22C-68248D359BBF.jpeg.adb6a17cac26b7456ffb518302c77174.jpeg

I didn’t know about Julia Pierpont.  Thanks @richwmnfor the information.  LOL on the gambling quote.  Too often it’s so true 😉 

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all our American friends.  I hope you don’t get the rainy weather we and the North East U.S. are expected to.

9EBA238A-4E14-4957-BA7E-DD2ECD23774B.jpeg.021072dea8c71c2e98294d5093318cd5.jpeg

Yum on the meal suggestion.  Who can say no to a lobster roll?

It seems to be taking me longer and longer to get my planters and pots done.  I am sure it has nothing to do with the weather or my age 😉 

01464046-319D-4310-9D32-F601853549C0.jpeg.82a16795284442e0e418fe9a0d623711.jpeg

We’ve been to London, but not Southampton.

Today’s Care List:

• Kakalina and prayers for her palliative care
  • Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in dire straits in the hospital and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication
  • Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas
  • smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issue
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery.
  • Prayers for them all

Garden Club Participants - I tried an experiment this year and so far it is working.  Our deer problem is horrendous and they have been eating everything in my little side garden.  My Monkshood had grown too much and needed splitting (deer don’t like it - it’s poisonous).  So I put the babies between the plants they were eating on the side.  The monkshood transplants are growing well and so far, the deer have not touched the plants 🤞 I think there is going to be more put in around other gardens not protected by the fence if this works.  Monkshood is quite pretty and blooms for some time in the summer.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them.  My heart goes out to Edi (NextOne).  And, of course 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!!!

DF3617D0-F321-4F2B-BAAF-98A180715D6C.jpeg.97c26942567856c4f73265d3019acd68.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Good  Morning as we start a holiday weekend here in the States. It's a great day for some relaxing smooth jazz. Lobster Rolls sound like a great idea for the day and the drink of the day brings back fond memories of a hot afternoon in Rio.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 16

Happy Saturday.  Interesting group of days.  Love soft Jazz, do not do composting here, and had to google Julia Pierpont.  Had never heard of her.  Totally agree about the quote, but it is fun to watch the wheels spin.  Yum yum on the Lobster Rolls.  Best ones we've had were in Kennibunkport Maine.

Prayers, hugs and toasts to our lists.  Cyber hugs to @NextOne.  So sorry for your loss.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Caipirinha:

Caipirinha is Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachaça, sugar, and lime. The drink is prepared by mixing the fruit and the sugar together, then adding the liquor. This can be made in a single large glass to be shared among people, or in a larger jar, from which it is served in individual glasses. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz Cachaça, 2 Teaspoons brown sugar, Half a lime cut into 4 wedges
Preparation: Place lime and sugar into old fashioned glass and muddle (mash the two ingredients together using a muddler or a wooden spoon). Fill the glass with crushed ice and add the Cachaça.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime, Sugar cane
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 7.19.10 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a rainy cold day temp is 48 with a real feel of 39., just a few days ago it was 90😱

Thee are 2 different fire companies dinners today , Bird in Hand has chicken bbq ( dine in available) and Bareville has charcoal NY strip steak (drive thru). Maybe I’ll do both 😀

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone.

Still cold here in northeast Ohio.  The rain is holding off until this afternoon.   At least the forecast says it is.  

@NextOne I am so sorry for your loss.   We were all hoping that Ron would be home soon.  Warm hugs from across the miles and know that we are keeping you close to our hearts.

Today's meal sounds great for as soon as it gets warm again.  Today I'm sticking to soup and stew.  

https://www.foodiecrush.com/lobster-rolls/

Lobster-Rolls-foodiecrush.com-012-683x1024.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today is a very rainy day and the rest of the weekend doesn’t look much better.  I guess pulling weeds will wait until later.  Part of today’s agenda is picking up a few things for our next cruise.  It’s been far too long since we did that activity.  Not sure what we will do for dinner tonight, takeout is a real possibility.  I hope everyone has a nice day.

• Like 20

Good  morning to  all. @NextOne, I am  sending  my  condolences   to you  and  your  family at  this  sad  time. I  liked  the  idea  of  heavenly  cruises for  your  DH and  drinks  at  the  Ocean Bar.

I  think  I  would  need  to study  composting but  it  will  be  slow  to  start in  this  city. They  have  enough  trouble  with  regular  trash  collections. I  enjoy  jazz   and  was  reminded  of  our  Hawaii  cruise  on  the  Veendam in  2015  when  we  had  a  Jazz  charter on  with  us.  The  musicians  graciously gave  us  a  concert  around  the  Lido  pool  on the  last sea day  before  arrival  in  Hawaii. What  fun!

We  love  lobster  rolls  but  find  they  are  better  in  Maine  or  on  the  Cape  in  MA.

@dfish, your  lovely  words  touched  me. We  are  thrilled  to  be  able  to  BE  with  Tana's  son physically now  as  we  have  all  been  vaccinated. He  got  his  first   shot  a  few  weeks  ago  and  we  will  take  his  second  this  week. We  had  not  seen  either  of  them since  last year even  though  we  are  in  the  same  city.

Tana  has  had  more  medical  issues  to  deal  with  and  remains  in  the  hospital. She  is  a  very  strong  woman  and  has  managed  to  keep  her  spirits  up. Thank  you  all   for  your  prayers  and support. It  has  helped  a  great  deal.            Terry

• Like 22

Good morning everyone and Happy Memorial Day weekend. Thanks, Rich, for that explanation of Julia Pierpont. I love lobster, lobster rolls, lobster chowder. You get the idea. On my New England Canada cruises, I ate lobster at every port. During the pandemic, we had lobster roll trucks making stops at various cities around the state.

Next one, I’m so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family as you navigate this difficult time.

It’s raining here and will continue today and tomorrow, and it’s 48 degrees now. Quite a change from the 92 we had the other day. 

Stay safe everyone and enjoy your weekend.

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Southampton, but it was in 1997 - pre-digital photos. I was mainly interested in the Mayflower Pilgrims Memorial (erected in 1913) and the Titanic Museum. The museum was in a small building near the quay. I don't think it is there now, but there is a Titanic display in the Sea City Museum. One of my ancestors was a cooper (barrel maker) from Southampton who was hired as part of the Mayflower crew. Upon reaching "the New World"  he decided to remain and marry Priscilla Mullins. His name? John Blunden Alden.

• Like 22

Good Morning Everyone from a warm but overcast day at the beach

Love lobster rolls, wish I had a real one right now!  Thanks for the link on Julia Pierpont. Did not know who she was, but what a wonderful thing she started.

Have not been to Southhampton.  Some day?

@NextOneSo sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.

Prayers to all on our list and others that may not be on the list.

Heard last night that Carnival has been approved to start test cruises from Pt Canaveral the end of June. Hope it happens.

Going out for a sunset cruise on the Banana River with our friends tonight. Will be fun.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for yet another educational Daily, Rich! I enjoy jazz - if it is live. I compost some things. Some things attract the local wildlife, so I need to be careful. I celebrate Julia P. for inspiring a great tradition.

Jacqui & Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Edi & Sandi - keeping you in my prayers. Good morning Dailyites and my Sisters. Another lovely morning here. Very accurate quote. Last week, my friend who lives outside Portland, Maine biked twelve miles with her husband to their favorite spot for lobster rolls - only to discover the asking price was $22! They said “Heck no!”, or perhaps something a bit stronger, and left. Perhaps it would be cheaper to make your own, not sure. Interesting drink, Summer.

Heading to a friend’s house for a barbecue this evening. I believe it is mushroom Swiss turkey burgers for the main course. 

Prayers for all who need our support. I am celebrating all of us today. Stay well everyone. 

All released vintages have excellent ratings, but the 2017 may be difficult to find. Best online price I found was $11.99 for the 2018 vintage. Might get it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

A fresh, pure expression of the varietal, with aromas of violets, cherries, mocha and spice. Juicy tannins and balanced acidity complement perfectly ripe red fruit flavors, while a subtle hint of oak adds complexity.

Pair with tuna steak, lamb, or hamburgers.

JS92 James Suckling: This shows the beautiful quality of the 2018 vintage with a solid core of fruit, bright acidity and a silky finish. All here.

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: The spectacular 2018 Críos Malbec is aromatic, floral and expressive, varietal and clean, with structure and fine tannins, with nice balance. It's velvety and juicy, with very focused flavors and a long finish. It's among the best Críos I remember. Great value too. 350,000 bottles produced.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

How many folks knew this existed? and how many have tried one?

This article is from 2017.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-mclobster-1.4147829

Feeling the pinch: McLobster pushed out of the market by high prices.

"Unfortunately, we will not be serving McLobster as part of our menu across Atlantic Canada,"

hi-nb-mclobster-sandwich.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning from sunny north Texas - finally a day of sunshine.   The lobster roll looks great, makes me wish I was hiking in the Maritimes of Canada.    

A special salute to our veterans, our peacekeepers, our active duty personnel and all others who strive to make the world  peaceful and those who free the oppressed.   Prayers and comfort for all in need and kudos to those celebrating.  

Special cheers to Celebrity Cruise Lines who sailed from Florida yesterday evening.  Bon Voyage!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Saturday.  Interesting group of days.  Love soft Jazz, do not do composting here, and had to google Julia Pierpont.  Had never heard of her.  Totally agree about the quote, but it is fun to watch the wheels spin.  Yum yum on the Lobster Rolls.  Best ones we've had were in Kennibunkport Maine.

Prayers, hugs and toasts to our lists.  Cyber hugs to @NextOne.  So sorry for your loss.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Caipirinha:

Caipirinha is Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachaça, sugar, and lime. The drink is prepared by mixing the fruit and the sugar together, then adding the liquor. This can be made in a single large glass to be shared among people, or in a larger jar, from which it is served in individual glasses. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz Cachaça, 2 Teaspoons brown sugar, Half a lime cut into 4 wedges
Preparation: Place lime and sugar into old fashioned glass and muddle (mash the two ingredients together using a muddler or a wooden spoon). Fill the glass with crushed ice and add the Cachaça.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime, Sugar cane
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 7.19.10 AM.png

This is a new one on me.

• Like 2

Rich:  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  Thanks Roy for the Shout Out list. (Your recovery amazes me/) Thanks to Kazu for the Care List.  Thanks to Summer Slope for explaining how to make the drink of the day.  Thanks to all others who have posted and contributed to this thread.  It is a cool sunny day here in Naperville.  My best to all.

• Like 11