anyone in favor of eliminating all status programs

luckyinpa

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As Napoleon (not Bonaparte, but Orwell’s great leader) might put it : some are more equal than others.

"Let Them Eat Cake"....I love cake :classic_wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i'm so tired of virus posts so this will be something different

so i'm curious who thinks it's a good idea to eliminate all status programs.  

Let me make sure that I completely understand your post.  Because you are tired of seeing status posts on CC which by the way you can block, you want the cruise lines to eliminate them completely.  Do I have it right?

DON

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

"and have just one cafeteria serving everyone the same food."

Yep, Soylent Green.   😄

Just think, Soylent Green is coming next year!  Maybe this is what the cruise ships will be like after people finally come out of COVID lockdown?  

Film Review: Soylent Green (1973) | HNN

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

so the question 

so i'm curious who thinks it's a good idea to eliminate all status programs.  ??

Why...... ????

is this because more and more people are getting to higher loyalty levels...

which in turn mean more are getting the perks...

which end ups watering down of said perks due the increases numbers

or   are you suggesting it is strictly a user pays system.... where only the high end cabin get the perks regardless of number of times sailed....

which could be taken as some interior cabin people are now with the suite people.....

So having said that... by eliminating loyalty perks..

who benefits....    maybe the suite cabin people who get the perks anyway

( are they concerned of the lower people taking over       lol )

honestly  does it matter.... it you arrived in a taxi or a Roller to get on your cruise ??

46 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

so the question 

so i'm curious who thinks it's a good idea to eliminate all status programs.  ??

Why...... ????

is this because more and more people are getting to higher loyalty levels...

which in turn mean more are getting the perks...

which end ups watering down of said perks due the increases numbers

or   are you suggesting it is strictly a user pays system.... where only the high end cabin get the perks regardless of number of times sailed....

which could be taken as some interior cabin people are now with the suite people.....

So having said that... by eliminating loyalty perks..

who benefits....    maybe the suite cabin people who get the perks anyway

( are they concerned of the lower people taking over       lol )

honestly  does it matter.... it you arrived in a taxi or a Roller to get on your cruise ??

The biggest problem to me is, in certain loyalty programs (not cruise line ones that I am aware of), you can "buy" elite status simply by, for example, having a certain credit card, and maybe spending an amount of money, far less than typically required to earn that status.

Some cruise lines have bought into this in a different way, allowing people to buy some or all of the perks of an elite loyalty status or a suite level cabin. 

If these two things didn't happen, I would have no gripe with loyalty programs, for the simple, selfish reason that I may have earned those perks "the old fashioned way". 

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The biggest problem to me is, in certain loyalty programs (not cruise line ones that I am aware of), you can "buy" elite status simply by, for example, having a certain credit card, and maybe spending an amount of money, far less than typically required to earn that status.

Agreed....... Loyalty.... going to same place to shop or stay.... you may a discount at a shop ( or something under the counter lol ).... or get a better deal....   I agreed with these

But buying Loyalty ( ie elite or what status )   not really in favor....

It is fair enough... with airlines and cruise lines offering first class / suites, and they come with there own privileges.  ( a user pays system )

2 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I have to ask which line this is!

I know MSC offers 10% discounts to active and retired military and to active and retired civil servants (local, state and federal).  My DH is retired from the federal civil service and we received a 10% discount on our first (right before the pandemic) MSC cruise.

• Like 1

We started cruising back in the l980s, we did not give much thought to such programs, we just booked and explored new ships and itineraries of interest.  Over the years we have cruised on 9 different lines and racked up cruises on 3 different cruise lines primarily.  Same goes for airlines and hotel points, we did not give much thought to these till the l990s decided to signup for the airlines we traveled most because we saw they had some value. we saved using airline points on open jaw flights when we did TAs.  Hotel nights never amounted to much value because we did not travel enough.  We enjoy the perks on Princess,  free bar in cabin, free internet,  extra OBC the longer one cruises.   Now as retirees these mean more to us, since we have fewer travel dollars.   Would hate to see them go away. 

Don't care for exclusive areas on ships (class status). It reduces the amount of public space on ships and is subsidized by other passengers. As far as loyalty programs, couldn't care less. I'm loyal to my wallet and privacy. I don't even use my players cards when visiting Vegas because I don't like them tracking me. Most of these loyalty programs are schemes that are far from free. Knock yourself out trying to get free laundry, a couple drinks coupons, a snack, trinket etc but don't reduce public areas on ships. That irks me.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Don't care for exclusive areas on ships (class status). It reduces the amount of public space on ships and is subsidized by other passengers. As far as loyalty programs, couldn't care less. I'm loyal to my wallet and privacy. I don't even use my players cards when visiting Vegas because I don't like them tracking me. Most of these loyalty programs are schemes that are far from free. Knock yourself out trying to get free laundry, a couple drinks coupons, a snack, trinket etc but don't reduce public areas on ships. That irks me.    

The set aside lounge areas aren't really public areas are they ? We've been on several cruises where public spaces were set aside for certain large groups holding their functions that weren't loyalty designated.

• Like 1

Even my preferred chicken burger joint gives my loyalty rewards. My wife coffee joint gives her points. I don’t get the issue. Got little “status” with any cruise line, because we cruise around. So that’s my choice.

As is typical in normal life, those who have a lower status are jealous of those who have more, and think everything should be equal. Those with a higher status think they deserve it.

What we really need to eliminate with cruising is being so concerned about other people. With that said, people are overly obsessed with "free" stuff, to the point that they will limit themselves and spend more to get something trivial. If you enjoy a product and get perks from it, why the heck not! I think Royal has a very compelling program for those who drink. I really like their 3 vouchers per day. Considering the other half doesn't drink, that would be 6 drinks for me. I challenge you to find a better perk that saves me from having to buy expensive drinks out of pocket.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

The set aside lounge areas aren't really public areas are they ? We've been on several cruises where public spaces were set aside for certain large groups holding their functions that weren't loyalty designated.

If they are set aside, they are not public.  But it really does not matter - you get what you are willing to pay for.  In my experience, NCL seems to have the least public space per passenger -I think they are designed to maximize revenue by having more revenue-producing cabins vs. Cunard which has many bars, lounges, common spaces, etc.  And at least one poster on CC complained that the bars were “dead”.   I prefer a bar I can walk into and have a bit of space - and really do not like being cheek by jowl.  

It would be pretty sad to not have the option to perhaps spend a bit more to get something you prefer.  One size does not fit all (unless you are happier in a Fahrenheit 451 sort of environment where such things are decided for you).

• Like 2

My reaction to the OP's post is a simple question:  "Why?"  DW and I have been blessed to have cruised on 15 lines (our 16th line is booked) on far more then 100 cruises.  We have pretty high "status" with quite a few lines and often enjoy the perks that come with that label.  But when we go on a new line or one on which we have no decent status (or perks) we could care less.  The perks given to others are not my business or even something we think about.  

I should also mention that, on many lines, the best benefits are reserved for those in the expensive suites.  So, for example, a first time cruiser on MSC can hit the jackpot (perk wise) by simply booking a cabin in the Yacht Club.  Even if you had the highest status (Black Card) it will not get you much when compared to simply paying for a Yacht Club suite.   It is the same on Celebrity where the "suite life" is now about lots of extras.  Sure, we can get some free drinks on Celebrity because of our status, but that is meaningless when you have a drink package (which most folks get these days).

Hank

• Like 3