2 Test Positive

19 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed. Not sure what the border has to do with this discussion. 

Nothing to do much with the post you commented on but the reason these 2 people were even tested was to cross the border back to the US.  So international travel will require this and in doing so the vaccinated could come up positive (like a fully vaccinated nurse travelling to Mexico a few months ago-got a positive test for return and quartantine in Mex for 14 days) 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, George C said:

I wouldn’t mind a week in St Maarten but I think they would be confined to there hotel room.

I would assume so.  And their own expense too, I would think.

For the record, I haven’t a clue what happened. I don’t know what vaccines they did or didn’t have. I don’t know what testing happened. I’m always impressed at how smart CruiseCritic posters are that can figure this stuff out. 

What I do know is that these two cases, unlike the thousands of other cases, made every news story in the country. Not good. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

For the record, I haven’t a clue what happened. I don’t know what vaccines they did or didn’t have. I don’t know what testing happened. I’m always impressed at how smart CruiseCritic posters are that can figure this stuff out. 

What I do know is that these two cases, unlike the thousands of other cases, made every news story in the country. Not good. 

You are right about that !

12 minutes ago, Catnip said:

I would assume so.  And their own expense too, I would think.

no.  Just read Celebrity’s website.  This is just a subset

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

So the 2 out of X number of passengers tested positive, but they were allowed to go on an excursion?  Seems fishy, if it took that long for tests to come back. If the reporters were vaccinated why were they also quarantined? 

Methinks we don have all the juicy info yet.

Tested Positive during End of Cruise Testing. Tests are done less then 72hrs before end of Cruise. Were Quarantined then... At least 2 other threads on this I commented yesterday, miss Bob, was always good for combining multiple Threads on same topic

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BSocial said:

no.  Just read Celebrity’s website.  This is just a subset

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party”

Thank you, thought read this last month for Celebrity and Royal

4 minutes ago, Trev B said:

Only 2 and yet the world news jumps on it.

Welcome to CC.

Wait till the sailing is actually out of the US and there's a positive case on board.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trev B said:

Amazing. Only 2 and yet the world news jumps on it. As previously stated it is all around us, but we have to start somewhere

Exactly- can you imagine how many positive cases are running around the theme parks asymptotic? We don’t know that because they don’t test. It’s going to be here for years, however I do believe getting the vaccine does help decrease how sick you get if at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

So the 2 out of X number of passengers tested positive, but they were allowed to go on an excursion?  Seems fishy, if it took that long for tests to come back. If the reporters were vaccinated why were they also quarantined? 

Methinks we don have all the juicy info yet.

Info is out there for the reading. One just has to go read it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I do not think for a moment that cruising will stop. I do not think these two will be the last to be found with covid.... but I do think this type of news will eventually not even make the headlines. 

• Like 3

OK.  Let's not get all squirrely here.  The cruise originated in St Marteen.  So US pax had to fly there before.  How long were these 2 pax there before?  Did they mask?  Did they hang around other unmasked people on the island?  I doubt you can blame it on vaccines.  Most likely on pax behavior pre-cruise.  But that's spec on my part. Since no one else on the ship tested positive, this is being over wrought by media and this board.  2 people is NOT a HOT spot like the recent BitCoin event in Miami.

And as i recall fewer than 10 people on the first petri dish cruise on Princess in 2020 had positive tests.  While there was a brouhaha of overcautiousness, in hindsight it wasn't any worse than a bout of NORO.

Let's be risk aware, have most at-risk folks get a vaccine, or not cruise and let the rest of the crowd simple avoid situations where lightening might strike.

2 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

If people really have fears that the boogeyman is going to get them if they cruise with or without a fully vaccinated ship, they should just STAY HOME and DON'T CRUISE.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  

I have read all pages on this thread.  Many have voiced their opinion quietly, on both sides, without shouting.  Why couldn't you?  Everybody will do what they feel is best for them, to cruise or not to cruise.  See?  No shouting. No anger.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And as i recall fewer than 10 people on the first petri dish cruise on Princess in 2020 had positive tests.  While there was a brouhaha of overcautiousness, in hindsight it wasn't any worse than a bout of NORO.

The Diamond Princess had 713 positive cases. Fourteen passengers died. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would LOVE to conduct an experiment.

Pick a random gate at any large (top 10)  US airport

Do an antigen test on every person passing through that gate for one day

How many asymptomatic positives do we get?

What is the ratio of vaccinated positives to unvaccinated positives?

This data would be fascinating

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

OK.  Let's not get all squirrely here.  The cruise originated in St Marteen.  So US pax had to fly there before.  How long were these 2 pax there before?  Did they mask?  Did they hang around other unmasked people on the island?  I doubt you can blame it on vaccines.  Most likely on pax behavior pre-cruise.  But that's spec on my part. Since no one else on the ship tested positive, this is being over wrought by media and this board.  2 people is NOT a HOT spot like the recent BitCoin event in Miami.

Let's be risk aware, have most at-risk folks get a vaccine, or not cruise and let the rest of the crowd simple avoid situations where lightening might strike.

No worse than Noro except to the 14 people that died, and their families.  

I’m personally not anxious about the cases on the Millennium— seems like the vaccine has done its work in that the passengers are asymptomatic and we don’t yet see spread (realistically it will be 7-14 days before we can say for sure).  The cruise line has a protocol in place, they’re using it, and the situation is in hand.  This is exactly what we are prepared for when we go on AOS — minor inconvenience if we have a similar occurrence.  (If it was a vaccine optional cruise, I would be more concerned).

But claiming the Covid situation on cruise ships last year as being similar to Noro is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yes, and they are prosecuted.

Though couple cases in News showing Govt was Prosecuting people Selling Fake Cards and not arresting ones that bought them. Case by case Buyers in future, maybe now... Royal announces they are not changing any plans future Cruises. That those in close contact with 2 Covid Positive passengers all Tested Negative and the 2 are still Asymptomatic 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

As cruising re-opens this is going to happen.   It could false positives and I am sure they are re-doing tests to find out.     

How the cruise line handles it is going to make the difference.

Does anyone know if they took these 2 travelers and moved them to interior cabins on the lower deck near the medical center for their quarantine?     That is my fear, I would hate being in an interior cabin.    I have to have a window at minimum.