Could PVSA finally be gone for good.

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Nobody cruises Alaska because it is stopping in Victoria.  288 ships will not stop and 130 million dollars won't get spent in Victoria.  Instead people will be spending that money in Seattle and an extra port stop in Alaska.  Well done Skippy and congrats to Sitka and Icy Point Strait.  You win.  

I loved our stop in Victoria.  My husband has old friends there from his childhood who met us at the port and spent the day with us.  It's a lovely island and I look forward to going back someday. I think it really adds to the Alaska cruises 

Apparently it's larger than Britain,  who knew?

Largest islands in the world

Edited by sgmn

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

If you ever find yourself back there let me know.  I'll let you in on where the good stuff is. 🙂 

I'll be doing that too. I've been to Vancouver many times, mostly on business. I know where lots of the good stuff is but not ALL the good stuff. I don't know what the other poster experienced in Vancouver but it's one of the greatest cities in North America. When I was in the investment business we were located in Toronto which is the financial centre of Canada, like New York, in the U.S. We also had an office in Vancouver but when we ever transferred someone out to the Vancouver office, we could never get them to come back to Toronto. We couldn't bribe them with a promotion to come back. We couldn't threaten them with being fired to get them to come back. And Toronto, for all its faults is a pretty nice city. It wasn't like we were asking them to come back to Cleveland. 😉

Sorry Cleveland, I was going to say Sudbury, but its mostly Americans on this board and they wouldn't know anything about the Big Nickel. 🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

My suspicion is that those will continue as scheduled. The problem will be for the port of Victoria.  The only reason cruise ships stop there is to fulfill their obligation under PVSA.  With changes proposed because of the Canadian government's intransigence, Victoria will be ignored by all ships sailing out of Seattle.  That being said, it will put pressure on the port of Vancouver to be more competitive as cruise lines could start sailing more out of Seattle leaving the Vancouver market to pick up the scraps that can't be accommodated by the Port of Seattle.  Vancouver already has the disadvantage of being a substantially more expensive city to fly into.

Is there any other ports on the west coast of the U.S. that could handle the volume of Vancouver?  Could Seattle even handle a big increase in cruise traffic? I'm sure things will change if the PVSA is scrapped or modified but exactly what the net net results would be for Vancouver  or Victoria tourism is way too early to be known.

37 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I don't think Seattle could acomadate many more ships. It's pretty much a mess on weekends now.

Besides, who wants to travel to Seattle.  It's pretty much a mess all of the time.  I wouldn't go near the place until someone steps up and fixes it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Is there any other ports on the west coast of the U.S. that could handle the volume of Vancouver?  Could Seattle even handle a big increase in cruise traffic? I'm sure things will change if the PVSA is scrapped or modified but exactly what the net net results would be for Vancouver  or Victoria tourism is way too early to be known.

I think the biggest impact would be on Victoria.  A few posters comments notwithstanding Victoria isn't destination people are booking Alaskan cruises to see.  Vancouver would still be a home port for the Alaskan season so not so greatly impacted but there would be pressure on Vancouver with it's higher costs to more competitive with Seattle if Seattle had any excess capacity at all.

11 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Besides, who wants to travel to Seattle.  It's pretty much a mess all of the time.  I wouldn't go near the place until someone steps up and fixes it.  

I used to be but am not any more a fan Seattle.  There has been a significant decline, in my opinion, in the downtown area.  That being said, money talks and cruising out Seattle is cheaper for the cruise lines and cheaper for the cruise passengers

• Like 2

19 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I have a California coast  cruise for 2022 and would MUCH rather end the cruise in Seattle than vancouver. will be interesting to see how it effects other itineraries like Hawaii, where couldn't go from LA or Seattle round trip without a foreign stop, may actually do one now

Think of an itinerary for the East Coast from Boston/NY to Miami & vice versa.  

Surprisingly we scheduled on Princess to cruise a west coast cruise out of San Francisco.  It would have been my first Princess cruise but it was cancelled due to Covid. The itinerary was Astoria OR, Seattle WA, Vancouver BC and Victoria BC.  I laughed that I really didn't have any interest in the itinerary.  It was really about the friends that wanted us to go with them on this.  I'm not disappointed that this cruise was cancelled. 

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Surprisingly we scheduled on Princess to cruise a west coast cruise out of San Francisco.  It would have been my first Princess cruise but it was cancelled due to Covid. The itinerary was Astoria OR, Seattle WA, Vancouver BC and Victoria BC.  I laughed that I really didn't have any interest in the itinerary.  It was really about the friends that wanted us to go with them on this.  I'm not disappointed that this cruise was cancelled. 

We did a four-day repositioning cruise on NCL from Vancouver to San Francisco to kick off a California road trip vacation a few years ago. It was Vancouver, Seattle, Astoria, and  San Francisco.

Astoria is a cute little town and I guess it has a big Costco. You should have seen what the crew members brought back onboard, I never knew Cheetos come in industrial sized containers?  And I don't what one crew member planed to do with his brand new Weedeater he brought back onboard. A lot of the Vancouverites used the cruise as a shopping trip too. Lots of Laptops were purchased in Astoria.

Edited by DirtyDawg

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

A lot of the Vancouverites used the cruise as a shopping trip too. Lots of Laptops were purchased in Astoria.

Oregon does not have a general sales tax. That may have been a factor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

I never knew Cheetos come in industrial sized containers?  And I don't what one crew member planed to do with his brand new Weedeater he brought back onboard.

Weedeater + industrial sized Cheetos container sounds like a potentially messy combo. 

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2021 at 9:51 PM, Auntiemomo said:

No, I think Canada banned cruises way before our idiots banned the pipeline.  

You are wrong. The new administration banned the pipeline in January '21 and Canada extended the cruise ban until February '22 in February '21.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

You are wrong. The new administration banned the pipeline in January '21 and Canada extended the cruise ban until February '22 in February '21.

Pump the brakes.  Canada first banned cruise ships in March 2020.  Yes, the extension came after the pipeline was cancelled, but the other poster is entirely correct, they banned cruise ships 11 months before the pipeline issue, and given the state of Canada's pandemic in Feb 2021, it was almost a sure bet that the ban would be extended, regardless of the pipeline.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2021 at 2:50 PM, Tree_skier said:

It appears that what was done temporarily could become permanent.

PVSA could be gone!

The aspects of the PSVA that need to be addressed before it could be gone for good would include where the ships would be built, under whose tax authority could it be registered and the bigger issue, as it's effects multiple governmental departments, is do they require an all American crew or can they issue specialty visas for all employees which allows them to work just in the US. 

On 6/13/2021 at 3:37 PM, CPT Trips said:

I'm trying to figure out, at what ports will a large ship call?

I have done a cruise that started in New York and did Charleston, Miami, Nassau Port Canaveral and back to New York. Not really a great itinerary. Charleston was the only worthwhile port. I also did New York, Newport News, Portland, Boston, Bar Harbor, Bermuda and back to New York. It was worth it for Bermuda. Both cruises were fine for one time, they were not outstanding itineraries, and  I would never repeat on similiar itineraries unless they included Bermuda.

Edited by Charles4515

On 6/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, time4u2go said:

Fixes it?  What's wrong with it?

As someone who travels 50k miles in the air a year, 2 out of the 4 worst TSA lines I've ever had were in SEA. They also rank among the 10 worst experiences I've had in any airport.