Art Auctions?

MikeKool

Word of caution evidenced by my MIL being charmed on her first Celebrity Cruise to start an art collection of large proportions as an investment.  Park West has a huge Warehouse rammed with, how can one say this, lots of art type stuff to sell, hopefully for them, at huge profits.

I you wish to buy art, either go to a reputable dealer or auction house, where one has legal recourse .  Don’t buy on a ship unless the artist is “known” to you and item is certified legitimate, with knowledge of the price range for their works.

Additional 

When buying signed/numbered “limited edition” prints of a known artist, pass on any print numbered over 5 of xxxx.  1 of xxxx should be your goal.

Remember what looks good on the wall of a ship, may look crap on your wall.

It’s called buyer’s remorse, then you’ve got to try and sell it on… Ho Hum

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional
  • Like 5

I thought the art exhibitions were just a colourful room filler on large ships public floors in a similar fashion to the empty high end fashion shops. That art as an investment.... hmmm!

Buy some art at the stops on the cruise. Great for memories.

Mind if you like that stuff go ahead.

14 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I thought the art exhibitions were just a colourful room filler on large ships public floors in a similar fashion to the empty high end fashion shops. That art as an investment.... hmmm!

Buy some art at the stops on the cruise. Great for memories.

Mind if you like that stuff go ahead.

Great Memories? True.  
Have a nice collection in my Den and it all started over 20 years ago in St Kitts finding Kate Spencer.  

Purchasing art at the auction is a great way to use up OBC. We did this years ago on X.

Every time I walk past the pieces we have hanging in our house they bring back memories of the wonderful time we had on those cruises.

We understand how Park West operates. None of the artwork we purchased was an “investment”, we bought them solely because we liked them. YMMV. 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Purchasing art at the auction is a great way to use up OBC. We did this years ago on X.

Every time I walk past the pieces we have hanging in our house they bring back memories of the wonderful time we had on those cruises.

We understand how Park West operates. None of the artwork we purchased was an “investment”, we bought them solely because we liked them. YMMV. 😊

That’s the correct way to approach it.  You are certainly not going to get a “deal” on the art on ANY cruise ship, from ANY cruise line.

Buy it because you like it and it reminds you of what a good time you had on your cruise.

The folks on board selling the art are not art experts, and very definitely not experts on how any piece or artist may appreciate.  They’re sales people…..commissioned sales people.  That’s a fine profession, but they get paid by selling their art to you.

Add to that, Park West, who runs these auctions has had a dubious past, and that’s being kind.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Its all a huge con, only the wealthy and gullible would buy "art" on a cruise ship

C-Dragons is voicing what I see as the right approach. They have OBC that they must use or lose and are buying not for investment, but as a cruise memory. I sometimes attend just to people watch. 

• Like 1

I have bought several prints from Park West on cruises.  Not for an investment, but because I loved the art work.  I have two Altman prints (one of Central Park and one of Buchard Gardens) on my office wall.  I could not tell you what we paid for these prints, but I can tell you that I enjoy them.  We paid real money, not On Board Credits that would otherwise be wasted.

17 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have bought several prints from Park West on cruises.  Not for an investment, but because I loved the art work.  I have two Altman prints (one of Central Park and one of Buchard Gardens) on my office wall.  I could not tell you what we paid for these prints, but I can tell you that I enjoy them.  We paid real money, not On Board Credits that would otherwise be wasted.

You said it beat when you said "Not for investment, but because I loved the work." Value is to you is  the enjoyment. I knew Harold Altman was he lived in State College, PA. His prints are indeed wonderful. 

I have bought a few things but its like others said, because I liked it.  I get great compliments on my different art which I have collected over the years from many different venues.  Mainly auctions, towns, yard sales etc.  I enjoy it not because of memories but mainly just the interesting aspect of it.  Its all a personal decision art, only worth what someone will pay for it.  

• Like 1

We do not participate in  the auctions but the Art Area on EDGE has an amazing interactive feature where you can view art and info re artists..no charge. Worth a visit when area is not busy.

We also enjoyed the EDGE Art "on ship"  Excursion...run by Excursion Dept not Park West.  Excellent  tour of  the amazing art collection on EDGE  and it included a huge souvenier book and other goodies.  Highly reccommend this tour!

5 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

If you want memories, buy yourself a new watch, ring, necklace.  The art sold on ships is massively overvalued and then there are the add on costs...framing, etc.  You're better off buying art on EBAY.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

If you want memories, buy yourself a new watch, ring, necklace.  The art sold on ships is massively overvalued and then there are the add on costs...framing, etc.  You're better off buying art on EBAY.

As I said before, we did this years ago. We haven’t bought any artwork on a ship in at least 10 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Word of caution evidenced by my MIL being charmed on her first Celebrity Cruise to start an art collection of large proportions as an investment.  Park West has a huge Warehouse rammed with, how can one say this, lots of art type stuff to sell, hopefully for them, at huge profits.

I you wish to buy art, either go to a reputable dealer or auction house, where one has legal recourse .  Don’t buy on a ship unless the artist is “known” to you and item is certified legitimate, with knowledge of the price range for their works.

Additional 

When buying signed/numbered “limited edition” prints of a known artist, pass on any print numbered over 5 of xxxx.  1 of xxxx should be your goal.

Remember what looks good on the wall of a ship, may look crap on your wall.

It’s called buyer’s remorse, then you’ve got to try and sell it on… Ho Hum

yes I agree.  What I do is actually sneak a lot of photos of them with my camera when no one is looking.

In fact I find art shows on a ship annoying.  Who goes on a cruise to buy art?????  come on stop the nonsense.....  I would do bingo before I would ever buy art.

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked eBay and many of the prints are just as over-valued as on board!  But a couple are well priced, and maybe I have the wall space for another Central Park image!

1 hour ago, slewis7 said:

My two cents: they are a waste of space on the ship and one of the features I could do without, but it is fine if other folks enjoy them and it must make Celebrity decent money.

To each their own 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I agree.  What I do is actually sneak a lot of photos of them with my camera when no one is looking.

In fact I find art shows on a ship annoying.  Who goes on a cruise to buy art?????  come on stop the nonsense.....  I would do bingo before I would ever buy art.

And I would probably attend an art auction before I'd do trivia, which seems to be very popular on board.

One of the wonderful things about the wide range of activities offered on board is that we can do our own thing without being subject to criticism and snarky remarks from others who are free to do their own thing.  [Oceans Away, please consider this a very gentle correction.  Please don't judge others.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1