Capt. Kate interview on Fox

39august

About 2 hours ago, Capt. Kate was interviewed on Fox. She stated that tomorrow's Edge would sail with about  99% vaccinated passengers. The interviewer asked her about the tests required for unvaccinated asking if the cost of $178 was for each test. She said that was correct. I thought that was the total cost of required tests. but I'm sure she knows the correct answer. I didn't catch the whole interview. Anybody else find out something else interesting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

1195 people, per the slide shown in the background Richard Fain interview on CNBC.

In the CNBC interview he said there were 2 unvaccinated adults and 26 unvaccinated children.

• Like 1

This should be reassuring to the cruise lines like Oceania that are holding firm for 100% – not losing very many customers at all!  [And gaining many others, like me, who won't cruise with less than 100% vaxxed]

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Maybe 5% unvaccinated don't want to Cruise?  Maybe only 1% do.

12 hours ago, marieps said:

Oh let it be so that sailing unvaxed proves so unpopular that this number is the norm!

The deck is stacked SO MUCH against unvaccinated adult passengers on Celebrity that you'd have to be NUTS to consider it, IMHO.  It's $700 extra per person for them AND they get to wear masks most of the time.  This might have worked for a sailing in March, but here and now in America we're not short on other, less demanding vacation options.

• Like 5

Did the math…..2% unvaccinated on board this cruise.  At that juncture, I can’t understand why anyone unvaccinated would want to cruise, either.  Just make them all 100% vaccinated cruises.

As others have pointed out, if you want to be unvaccinated and vacation, there are other outlets available.  Cruising will be just fine for the rest of us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

AND I can hardly imagine a single teen who would tolerate a mask around the pool, etc. (especially if their vaccinated parents are mask free), not to mention nose pokes,  segregation (nosebleed section in theater, yuk yuk), *someone* paying a bunch for the testing... So I predict any and all teens who want to cruise will get vaxxed pronto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The deck is stacked SO MUCH against unvaccinated adult passengers on Celebrity that you'd have to be NUTS to consider it, IMHO.  It's $700 extra per person for them AND they get to wear masks most of the time.  This might have worked for a sailing in March, but here and now in America we're not short on other, less demanding vacation options.

Well, for those who choose not to get vaccinated they are free to choose those "less demanding vacation options". It seems that even more than the 95% required on this cruise chose vaccination. Good choice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Which I, personally, think is great... with "other" vacation options for those who may choose not to be vaccinated for any other reason than health or does not want to disclose that info (their option not to), they can be placed on the 5% wait list OR make other vacation options.

Many of us would not miss them aboard the sailing and can cavort with them upon our return...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 10

Early days yet.  There are lots of ships to start up and fill.  Time will tell if the cruise lines decide to allow more unvaccinated including children.  Lots of unknowns may yet occur such as variants, boosters, proof of immunity from previous infections...  And yes cruising has been competing with other vacation types for many years.  Anything unique about cruising tends to hurt them with the first timers. No one knows for sure how it will continue.  But love the restart of cruising. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Which I, personally, think is great... with "other" vacation options for those who may choose not to be vaccinated for any other reason than health or does not want to disclose that info (their option not to), they can be placed on the 5% wait list OR make other vacation options.

Many of us would not miss them aboard the sailing and can cavort with them upon our return...

In health and bon voyage

We found an option a month before our first jab.  An AI in Playa Mujeres where there was plenty of social distancing, half capacity, staff in face shields and few guests wearing masks.   And no issues.   It was heaven.  The resort paid for our SARS-CoV-2 test to fly home.  So impressed were we that we're headed back in 3 weeks for 9 days.  Have to wonder whether other "cruise first" vacationers are now making other options a permanent staple of their vacationing lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, AbbyCruiser45 said:

If anyone finds a link to the interview, be sure to share it!

5 hours ago, zanzibargirl said:

Can anyone post a link to the interview? Thanks!

This isn't Fox News, but Yahoo! Finance apparently did an interview yesterday from the bridge of the Edge with Captain Kate:

Celebrity cruise to set sail for the 1st time in 15 months, Captain discusses safety measures - YouTube

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This isn't Fox News, but Yahoo! Finance apparently did an interview yesterday from the bridge of the Edge with Captain Kate:

Celebrity cruise to set sail for the 1st time in 15 months, Captain discusses safety measures - YouTube

Thank you so much for posting the link.

I've been vainly searching in Fox News....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marieps said:

We found an option a month before our first jab.  An AI in Playa Mujeres where there was plenty of social distancing, half capacity, staff in face shields and few guests wearing masks.   And no issues.   It was heaven.  The resort paid for our SARS-CoV-2 test to fly home.  So impressed were we that we're headed back in 3 weeks for 9 days.  Have to wonder whether other "cruise first" vacationers are now making other options a permanent staple of their vacationing lives.

What was the place?

- Joel

On 6/25/2021 at 10:45 PM, zitsky said:

I thought it was supposed to be 95% vacc, 5% non-vacc?

That is/was the required rate… at least prior to the infamous Florida bill.

However, it doesn’t keep them from sailing with better rates.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1