The Daily for Monday Jun 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is Insurance Awareness Day, International Body Piercing Day, and Paul Bunyan Day

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. - Theodore Roosevelt"

Meal suggestion for today - Fried Pickle Po' Boy

Drink of the Day - Singapore Sling

Wine of the day - Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley L'Ermitage 2012

Destination of the Day - Half Moon Cay Bahamas

At Sea Aegean Sea
Eurodam destination Augusta IT eta 6/30

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam drifting off Baja California

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stiffup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0628USA.thumb.png.33e3956898952783e6e8ede26a7e85cf.png

0628Europe.thumb.png.2375c08822ed242f111d820d9d27a367.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  It's time to renew our insurance so we've been looking at the policy.

No piercings on my body.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink of the day.  Hope the wine is good too.

We've had a very wet weekend - over 100mm of rain.  A tornado touched down 45km from here, lots of trees down, some houses damaged but no injuries reported.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Paul Bunyan is a great folk hero.  Insurance is very valuable.  I'll pass on the body piercing.  Been to HMC just once on the Koningsdam.  Love the Roosevelt quote.  Not sure about the Po' Boy.  My alternative is my embarkation lunch on MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Pacific Northwest/BC blowtorch
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
wandb sister-finished with aggressive chemo and awaiting cat scan results
Sam awaiting cat scan results
Surfside, Florida

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Lasyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

StLouisCruiser DGS excellent performance

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

NextOne meeting new grand niecel

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

We have another hot, sunny day in store here in northeast Ohio.   I would really appreciate some rain, but it isn't in the forecast.   

I am totally aware of insurance and the premiums it requires.  I used to do regular battle with my health insurer, but that has resolved now.   No piercings other than my ears.   I'll never forget when a student told me that Paul Bunyan carved out the Grand Canyon with Babe, the blue ox.  His History teacher told him that and he fully believed it.  Well, ok then!

I think I would skip today's meal.  Way too many carbs and I need some lean protein along with my veggies.   But, for those who might enjoy:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/fried-pickle-po-boy-5195644

1250542095_FriedPicklePoBoy.jpeg.531789daee9ea511062ee5975d318e36.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning. Love that Teddy Roosevelt quote. I like Po Boys but not with fried pickles.Been to 

Half Moon Key many times - it is a beautiful and relaxing place. 

I usex to live in the Pacific NW. Many freinds and family there. I hope all are staying safe during this heat wave.

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Insurance is a necessary evil and sadly our premiums will soon be due 😔 So, I’ll celebrate Paul Bunyan day!

BEA14FE6-F407-49D1-B499-058822A07065.thumb.png.d539d33a49f6d46ecf2dbe371e2a5452.png

Love the Roosevelt quote.  Still smiling 🙂   I also like this one:

4423603F-FDF1-4C08-9804-851E827BB657.thumb.jpeg.fca200a0658e4b0c21949c6078a08680.jpeg

Meal suggestion sounds good - too hot for today but a fun meal.  Haven’t had a Singapore Sling in decades.  They became too sweet for me.  

I so feel for the people out West and their severe heat.  Temperatures are being broken every day.   I won’t be complaining about our weather or heat knowing what they are enduring.

Sad to see Australia’s predicament with the Delta variant and a sad reminder that we are not done with covid.  Hoping they can overcome - they have done so well for so long. 🙏🏻 

We’ve had a lot of fun at HMC and the Oasis with a some great roll calls over the years.  

Prayers for those on the Care list & for everyone that needs them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!

7D9910A3-E8B0-46F7-98AB-FD41C0CCD0B0.thumb.jpeg.b151f1e67c8061e6b6ddeabf3acc7ed2.jpeg

5DA5275A-56BF-490E-81BD-A007646684BB.thumb.jpeg.6d9ee1f9e39a84901ef69a908d2cbecd.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good Monday Morning.  Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will be back later with more and photo's of Half Moon Cay, one of my favorite ports.

Singapore Sling:

The Singapore Sling is a gin-based sling cocktail from Singapore. This long drink was developed sometime before 1915 by bartender Ngiam Tong Boon, who was working at the Long Bar in Raffles Hotel, Singapore. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 dash Angostura bitters, 1 oz Gin, MORE
Preparation: Pour all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake well. Strain into highball glass. Garnish with pineapple and cocktail cherry.
Served: Well shaken, with ice
Standard garnish: Maraschino cherry, Pineapple slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 7.11.17 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will celebrate Mr Bunyan and pierced ears! And I am aware of insurance.

Thank you for our lists Roy! Morning Dailyite family! @StLouisCruisers, Sandi - tough outcome for the Tigers. Not really losing the game, but still out of the tournament. 

It’s a lovely morning here. Hoping all everyone dealing with the severe heat is doing ok. Great quote. Pass on the meal. Not a pickle fan, in any form. Pass on the drink. Today is a normal day for me. Gym, Bindi walks, and weather permitting a visit to a local park with my Sister and her Grandson. Then ice cream. 

I am hoping one of my Dailyite family will volunteer to take over posting about the Daily wine, while I am away. I have prepared a document with info about each day’s wine. You can choose to use it, or not;  add/subtract from it, etc.  If willing, please email me at: annge3@gmail.com - if you use “Daily wine volunteer” in your subject line, I will be sure to scan my SPAM folder before deleting anything. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley L'Ermitage 2012

This Californian sparkling wine has superb ratings. A bit pricey at $54.99, you might want to opt for the 2013 which is slightly less at $44.97 - but still has excellent ratings. And you might find it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

#5 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

L’Ermitage, Roederer Estate’s special Tête de Cuvée, is a sparkling wine made only in exceptional years from pre-selected, estate-grown grapes. Carrying on the tradition of Champagne Louis Roederer in France, Roederer Estate produces its sparkling wines in the traditional French méthode traditionelle and adds special oak-aged reserve wines to each blend. L’Ermitage debuted with the 1989 vintage.

Fine tiny bubbles and a long lasting mousse are the usual footprints of the L’Ermitage cuvee. Delicate aromas boast hazelnut, pastry and pear. Mouthfeel is very pure, focused freshness wrapped in yeast creaminess. Lemon curd and nutty characters play together to give a very European tasting experience. Blend: 52% Chardonnay, 48% Pinot Noir – 4% aged reserve wine, vintage 2007.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast: Luxurious and layered, this nicely mature wine has a broad range of complex aromas and flavors, from fig to mushroom to butter and baking spices that ride a supple texture and linger for a long finish. The very fine bead, plush texture and a creamy richness that verges on sweetness are practically irresistible. Best through 2025.  Cellar Selection

WS95 Wine Spectator: Extravagant, yet balanced and refined, with lush, crisp brioche, fresh ginger and spice, roasted hazelnut and Asian pear flavors that fan out on the lengthy finish. Drink now through 2025.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Ingredients: 1 dash Angostura bitters, 1 oz Gin, MORE

Here's the complete list:

1 dash Angostura bitters
1 oz Gin
1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
1/2 oz Heering Cherry Liqueur (cherry brandy)

1/3 oz Grenadine
1/4 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz DOM Bénédictine
4 oz Pineapple juice

There are many variations to be found by Googling

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 19

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  This year I didn’t mind paying the car insurance bill.  I had my windshield replaced and that cost was more than my annual premium.  I like fried pickles but can’t imagine them in a sandwich.  Another not day here but not nearly as bad as those on the west coast.  I hope that they stay safe and get some cooler temperatures soon.  For fans of dogs and baseball.

image.thumb.png.5c1eaf6e46d3fbe66f2e5084bee0a76b.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

No piercings except my ears. Used to really like the Paul Bunyan stories.  I visited the Raffles hotel in Singapore where todays drink was invented. Quite an interesting place.

Never been to HMC, because we have not sailed the Caribbean in awhile. Hopefully plan to remedy that soon.  Our next cruise is not until 10/22 but if things get going , we hope to plan a quick trip out of Ft Lauderdale.  Problem for us is we usually have to book pretty far out because we need an accessible cabin for our DD. So hopefully!!!

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

Good  morning everyone. I  used  to  love  the  Paul  Bunyan  stories and  will  never  imagine  the Grand  Canyon  the  same  way. I  am  sure @dfish, you  heard  many  interesting  statements  from  your  students  over  the  years. I  appreciate  insurance  and  just  got  word  that  our  supplemental  medical  policy  is  increasing...

I  only  have  my  ears  pierced  but  often  had  to  deal  with younger  staff  who  did  not  want  to  remove their  extra  piercings  during  work  hours. Oh  boy. We  had  a  woman  on  support  staff  who  had  a  total  of  5(yes,5) facial piercings....I  do  not  miss  that  part  of  my  job!

Pickles  and  I  no  longer  see  eye  to  eye  so  I  will  pass  on  the  recipe. I  have  to  come  up  with  something  later that  does  not  involve  the  stove  as  it  is  quite  steamy  here.

I  have  not  been  to  the  port  of  the  day.

Terry

• Like 22

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Paul Bunyan is a great folk hero.  Insurance is very valuable.  I'll pass on the body piercing.  Been to HMC just once on the Koningsdam.  Love the Roosevelt quote.  Not sure about the Po' Boy.  My alternative is my embarkation lunch on MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Pacific Northwest/BC blowtorch
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
wandb sister-finished with aggressive chemo and awaiting cat scan results
Sam awaiting cat scan results
Surfside, Florida

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina awaiting radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Lasyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

StLouisCruiser DGS excellent performance

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

NextOne meeting new grand niecel

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy , thanks for the Care and Shout Out Lists.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here's the complete list:

1 dash Angostura bitters
1 oz Gin
1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
1/2 oz Heering Cherry Liqueur (cherry brandy)

1/3 oz Grenadine
1/4 oz Cointreau
1/4 oz DOM Bénédictine
4 oz Pineapple juice

There are many variations to be found by Googling

Thanks for the infornation.

• Like 5

Good afternoon everyone.

It is 68°F and sunny here.

Thank you for the daily and care reports.

One day we plan to go to Raffles and get a Singapore sling.

Our annual travel insurance has just expired and was a waste of £600 for the last year as we got our money back from airlines,cruise companies and hotels ourselves and didn't involve our insurance company.

I have been to work all morning and it is now 2pm and I have just got home.

We don't believe in body piercings and Pauline uses clip on earrings.

We have been to Coco Cay RCG private Bahamas island but never been to Half moon cay.

P&O Azura leaves our local port of Newcastle England tomorrow night on route to Belfast for another 3 months lay up.

I wish everyone a lovely day 

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210628_140345.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My first job ever was working for an insurance company - I understood early in life the value in having it.  I've only ever opted for pierced ears, and can't understand some of the facial mutilations I've seen over the years.  Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe - I remember the story from when I was a child.

I love today's quote; it's quite true.  We were in Singapore, but Raffles was being renovated when we were there, so we didn't get to enjoy a real Singapore Sling.  Maybe next time.

We've been to Half Moon Cay many times, and thoroughly enjoy each visit.  It's really my happy place where I can just sit down either in the water, on the beach, or in a cabana, and let the world go by.  For DH it is a place where although he's a "prairie dog", he becomes a "water baby" and he loves playing in the water.  It's really a joy to see him there, as he transforms into a different person when we're there.

Another hot day here on the "frozen tundra" so we'll be looking for ways to keep cool.  Yesterday we turned the A/C on around 10AM and it didn't go off until nearly 9 last night.  Today's dinner suggestion isn't my favourite, although I love fried dill pickles, so we'll be having something cooler - I've got cooked chicken breasts ready to be made into a chicken Caesar salad that we can enjoy tonight.  And wine.

272470583_DrinkingWine.png.de4253251bc5c24523b7c1f04c22f86d.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to clink and toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon everyone.

It is 68°F and sunny here.

Thank you for the daily and care reports.

One day we plan to go to Raffles and get a Singapore sling.

Our annual travel insurance has just expired and was a waste of £600 for the last year as we got our money back from airlines,cruise companies and hotels ourselves and didn't involve our insurance company.

I have been to work all morning and it is now 2pm and I have just got home.

We don't believe in body piercings and Pauline uses clip on earrings.

We have been to Coco Cay RCG private Bahamas island but never been to Half moon cay.

P&O Azura leaves our local port of Newcastle England tomorrow night on route to Belfast for another 3 months lay up.

I wish everyone a lovely day 

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210628_140345.jpg

When you go to Raffles don't forget to eat the peanuts on the counter..

• Like 11

Good morning everyone. What can I say about insurance? The good word is that my father was an insurance broker and he won many awards from the insurance companies he worked with. NOW, the bad news. I have a major medical policy through the New York United Teachers Society. The company that originally serviced the policy, Mercer Consumer, transferred it to a company called Health Smart. Mercer had Sam’s birth year as my birth year, off by three years and that’s how they sent it on to Health Smart. Only Mercer can change it and send it over correctly. They wanted a copy of Sam’s driver license which was of course in his wallet with my daughter. I sent a copy of his passport and they asked me to circle the birth date as though they can’t read the passport and find it for themselves. No idea yet what has happened.

CAT scan shows edema in the brain is down. Great news. He still has a headache which is the result of the surgery. He is on pain meds as needed, and sometimes he can’t reach the buzzer or if he does, they don’t always respond. Remember, this is considered the number 4 rehab in the country. After four days of requesting, they are finally giving it to him every so many hours automatically. Such red tape.

He continues to make slow, but steady progress, but has a ways to go with his left side. I’m trying to be optimistic.

Of course we’ve been to Hal’s island many times. Loved it there until they added the bar and loud music. Now, not so much.

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning all.

Interesting about insurance Day. Got the following from my travel insurance - Canadian and we usually only get out of country health coverage. So we wait! And I can’t get rid of the underlining so sorry.

Most travel insurance plans are written and provide coverage, based on Government TRAVEL ADVISORIES and not around border restrictions. 

*It's very important to understand the difference between travel advisories and border restrictions when purchasing any travel medical policy - they are NOT the same thing. 

Please remember to review the advisories before any trip or insurance purchase.  The travel advisories can be found at: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories.

Example: Cruise lines are starting to set sail out of the USA; however, there's still a current Government travel advisory (June 21, 2021) stating that you should avoid ALL CRUISE SHIP TRAVEL. This means that most of your travel insurance plans will not cover you while you cruise at this time.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6