Tracelets being used on the Millenium/Summit

Kreative03

More than likely a port is requiring these.  X doesn't appear to be "all in" on these because they got the cheapest ones which aren't even waterproof.

26 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Having an object visible on a cruiser that is observable to staff can help the crew monitor virus prevention protocols.

There has to be a way for staff to determine which passengers did not provide vax proof when boarding, in addition to be a tool for contact tracing, etc., as others have already posted.

Reality is, some people will legitimately forget to wear it while others will claim they forgot to wear it and it could be covered when wearing sleeves.  The crew has enough to worry about and most don't want the responsibility of enforcing tractlets.

Interesting. As the above poster stated, it reminds me of the bands for kids on Disney,  which was great for knowing right where your kid was at any time, and let them have more autonomy after a certain age. 

I wonder if it will turn into something permanent integrated into a Sea Band, for example. It will be interesting to see how much of the pandemic protocol becomes permanent, or not. 

8 hours ago, Straughn said:

The Tracelet reminds me of the Magic Bands Disney uses. Disney doesn’t use it (yet) to trace contacts, but they sure do trace where and when you use it. Fortunately, Disney is transitioning to using the app on your phone so the MB is optional.

What I want to know is, do I have to wear it on my wrist, or, it is acceptable just to have it with me, such as in a handbag or pocket?   Don’t mind wearing it during the day, but would like to be able to have an option for the evening. Happy to keep the Tracelet with me, just not on my wrist.

It says in the rules from Celebrity it needs to be worn on the wrist. I would think they want it to be visible. Also you could leave your bag at the table and go for a wander and therefore wouldn’t be correctly tracked. 

There was an interesting article a few days ago in the Wall St. Journal about how some cruise lines are returning to cruising using contact-tracing technology.  Royal Caribbean Group's Tracelet was featured:

"Royal Caribbean, which owns and operates the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and SilverseaCruises brands, recently developed a wrist device, the “Tracelet,” to help with contact-tracing. Embedded with a Bluetooth-enabled chip, the Tracelet can record when aguest is within 6 feet for 15 minutes of other individuals on a ship, the company said. Royal Caribbean’s website states that all passengers and crew need to wear a Tracelet.

In the event a passenger is diagnosed with Covid-19, the ship’s security crew can access device data to see a list of whom the sick person has been in contact with. Thereporting and data tools that process the contacts and generate reports for tracing purposes were developed by the company."

Here's the link to the full article (for those who can access it behind the WSJ's paywall):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-u-s-cruises-resume-operators-outfit-ships-with-contact-tracing-tech-11624300600

From something else I read, the Tracelet isn’t waterproof, so you must take it off if you go swimming. Also, it won’t open cabin doors or let you pay for things. It’s not a WOW band. 

It seems like a small price to pay for a safer return to cruising. 

• Like 6

Usually those devices work with NFL and BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) like the Ocean Medallion Princess Cruises uses.

RCI used to have such a system for locating kids on Oasis of the Seas but obviously it never really worked and it was dumped soon after it came in place.

WOW bands (or other wirstbands just opening the door or for onboard payment like those on MSC) do have an RFID chip inside like the cabin cards on newer ships (and that´s why the cabin card can´t be used for locate somebody as RFID needs a close contact - and no, there´s nothing like a WIFI Card - the card is way too thin to include WiFi or BLE).

MSC came with new wristbands last year which included BLE for locating passengers. But these had to be worn additionally to the regular RFID wristbands.

The Tracelets are pretty likely similar to Princess´ Ocean Medallion with BLE and NFC for locating passengers or just BLE.

steamboats

20 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

Got my pre-cruise emails for July 17 - looks like the Summit will start to require a Tracelet. Is this happening on any cruise earlier? Would love to know the experience folks have had. I know RCCL has used this in Asia on their restart.

"TRACELET- All guests, ages 2 and above, will be issued a Tracelet™ at the terminal to be worn during the cruise. The Tracelet will help us with contact tracing in the unlikely case of an onboard health concern. We will collect your Tracelet at the conclusion of the cruise."

Not clear when this is being enacted or what has triggered it. It does not currently show on the Healthy at Sea requirements for St. Maarten (https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements)  -- however there are details that have been updated on the Southampton pages

Tracelets

Guests aged 2 years and over must wear a Tracelet at all times. Guests will be issued with their Tracelet during the check-in process at the terminal.

• The Tracelet needs to be worn on the wrist.
  • Guests must wear the Tracelet at all times and until they disembark the ship on debark morning.
  • Tracelets are not water-proof. Guests must remove the Tracelets when bathing or swimming. 
  • If a Tracelet is lost, a replacement will be issued at Guest Relations/Services
  • Tracelets will be collected at the end of the voyage prior to the guest entering the terminal and cannot be kept. 
  • Tracelets have an advanced Bluetooth chip and an antenna that can ‘see’ other Tracelets around. 
  • If a guest comes into contact with someone with COVID-19, they will be notified by the shipboard team. 
  • Refusal to wear a Tracelet will result in denial of boarding and not being able to sail.

You would think that they could have come up with a better name than Tracelet.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You would think that they could have come up with a better name than Tracelet.

Perhaps a branding opportunity with the reality show? 

Join us for new adventures in our latest offering Big Brother at Sea™

11 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Perhaps a branding opportunity with the reality show? 

Join us for new adventures in our latest offering Big Brother at Sea™

LOL. That's what I was thinking.  Then I remembered that all vaccinated passengers already have those microchips already!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

14 hours ago, evandbob said:

Having an object visible on a cruiser that is observable to staff can help the crew monitor virus prevention protocols.

There has to be a way for staff to determine which passengers did not provide vax proof when boarding, in addition to be a tool for contact tracing, etc., as others have already posted.

I would hope you are correct. The unanswered question has been how would the staff know who was supposed to be wearing a mask on board (unvaccinated guests)?

7 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I would hope these tracelets do not have to be worn when in the cabin.

The rule seems to be that they must be worn whenever outside the cabin. except when swimming as they are not waterproof.

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I would hope these tracelets do not have to be worn when in the cabin.

They will look lovely on gala nights in the photos!  No need to bring any bracelets when you can show off your tracelet 🤣🤣🤣 I can only imagine the new poses to try to cover them up!  I have very tiny wrists.  It would actually fit better on my ankle. COVID has changed the look of “modern luxury “.

Edited by 81Zoomie

Expecting me to remember to take it off every time I take a shower or something in a place with froofy drinks is asking a lot. 😉

Give one to an "influencer," they can make it as chic as onboard Tiffany's bracelets, right? 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, Tapi said:

I’m guessing your sea pass card doesn’t have enough space for a Bluetooth chip and antennas 

I’ve worn these type of bracelets on two cruises. I actually prefer them over carrying a card if the can be used for every day things like opening the cabin door, charging items, and getting on and off the ship. Much more convenient than trying to find where to put a card in a pocketless bathing suit. 

So you don't have to have a sea pass card to get off and back on the ship?