Did something good happen because of COVID19?

As a result of new health protocols being established for cruises, one good thing to come from them is the new RCCL ship safety drill. (muster drill) Royal Caribbean was one of the last cruise lines that required assembly at the designated muster stations.

The new system is a vast improvement, being much faster, way less hassle and a very simple process to follow. In addition, the entire ship doesn’t have to shut down while everyone does the drill. 

It makes much more sense to do be able to do the safety drill on a smart phone, tablet, or stateroom television and then go to the designated muster station to get the Sea Pass card scanned for verification.

Being packed in like sardines on an open deck for a safety drill regardless of the weather was truly awful. If one good thing came from the COVID19 outbreak, the new RCCL safety drill is it.

• Like 8

My family and I were just talking about that last night, as we're debating about taking a cruise on the Voyager next year.

I grew up on cruise ships, I remember the days where you had to line up outside on the promenade, with the women and children first AND having to wear a life jacket.  I always said I felt like a Teletubby wearing it, plus it was REALLY hot out, so that was no bueno.

As I got older, the muster drills moved to indoor venues, and we weren't required to wear the life jackets!  Much more comfortable, so that was a welcome improvement.  We always arrived at the Muster Station about 20 min. early and got a drink.  No need to fight the mad rush like before.

I'm hopeful for this new method of performing the Muster Drill, especially now that you can perform it on your own time.  I'm hopeful that there's not going to be maddening crowds all rushing to the stations at the same time! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, footzz said:

new RCCL safety drill is it

But at a h e double toothpicks of a price.  I am thrilled with the new check in/muster but it shouldn't have taken this fiasco to prompt its inception...just sayin

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

maddening crowds all rushing to the stations at the same time! 

Don't think so at least not from what they're posting.  Better than the hoard you had to wade through before!

I’m happy that they are getting better filtration and ventilation in the ships. It seemed that the past few years when we took longer cruises some in our group always got sick with upper respiratory type infections. There were times the vent in our stateroom was totally encased with dust, like it hadn’t been changed in years. I’m hoping that changes.

I also hope they always have us served in the windjammer, I’ve seen some nasty things being done by people there.

• Like 6

I hope that covid have made people think more about personal space. I used to hate those who squeezed into lifts or reached over you to get something, or just push in line. Hopefully covid will save me from having to tell them to back off and wait. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, footzz said:

As a result of new health protocols being established for cruises, one good thing to come from them is the new RCCL ship safety drill. (muster drill) Royal Caribbean was one of the last cruise lines that required assembly at the designated muster stations.

So,,, think of the poor crew members who have to stand in the hot sun for hours, reading the safety drill script and doing the life vest demonstration over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Instead of once. (Regardless of what you see on the app or your TV, they are still obligated to read the entire safety script to each person/group showing up at the muster station). 

And having the ship's captain making repeated threatening announcements that people need to go to their muster station,,, over and over and over. And finally the Cruise Director coming on a ship-wide PA saying that anyone that doesn't go in the next 15 minutes will be thrown off the ship.

It was actually kinda of negative way to start a cruise. 

image.png.244645f2447be838832c1ffcae3b7fe2.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, think of the poor crew members who have to stand in the hot sun for hours, reading the safety drill script and doing the life vest demonstration over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Instead of once. (Regardless of what you see on the app or your TV, they are still obligated to read the entire safety script to each person/group showing up at the muster station). 

And having the ship's captain making repeated threatening announcements that people need to go to their muster station,,, over and over and over. And finally the Cruise Director coming on a ship-wide PA saying that anyone that doesn't go in the next 15 minutes will be thrown off the ship.

It was actually kinda of negative way to start a cruise. 

image.png.244645f2447be838832c1ffcae3b7fe2.png

To each their own. I welcome the change. I've never seen/heard of anyone being thrown off of a ship for missing a muster drill. And, this is just a guess, but I'm guessing that RCCL world much rather have their paid crew inconveinenced than their paying passengers.

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

My family and I were just talking about that last night, as we're debating about taking a cruise on the Voyager next year.

I grew up on cruise ships, I remember the days where you had to line up outside on the promenade, with the women and children first AND having to wear a life jacket.  I always said I felt like a Teletubby wearing it, plus it was REALLY hot out, so that was no bueno.

As I got older, the muster drills moved to indoor venues, and we weren't required to wear the life jackets!  Much more comfortable, so that was a welcome improvement.  We always arrived at the Muster Station about 20 min. early and got a drink.  No need to fight the mad rush like before.

I'm hopeful for this new method of performing the Muster Drill, especially now that you can perform it on your own time.  I'm hopeful that there's not going to be maddening crowds all rushing to the stations at the same time! 

Yeah that Women and Children first effected me, a Single Parent/Father Cruising with my 3 Kids them by railing w/o me as stood with all the rest

4 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

And speaking of no bueno, think of all the people standing there who blew the attached whistles - I can remember hearing all the *tweet* *tweet* *tweets* in the crowd. 🤪

Now it seems crazy that no one even considered the germs from all the different lips that touched those. It's surprising that Whistleovid wasn't a thing LOL.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

And speaking of no bueno, think of all the people standing there who blew the attached whistles - I can remember hearing all the *tweet* *tweet* *tweets* in the crowd. 🤪

Now it seems crazy that no one even considered the germs from all the different lips that touched those. It's surprising that Whistleovid wasn't a thing LOL.

when we went to Ireland and visited the Blarney Stone I thought the same thing! Imagine what was on that! No, we didn’t kiss the stone 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I hope that covid have made people think more about personal space. I used to hate those who squeezed into lifts or reached over you to get something, or just push in line. Hopefully covid will save me from having to tell them to back off and wait. 

I don't know about this one.  I think you'll still have to fend them off.  My 44 yo son tells me I can be pretty fierce looking when I wear a mask, lower my head, and give someone "the look" over my glasses.  It reminds him of when I used to be the yard duty lady at his grammar school.

It has also given Royal the opportunity to introduce the drink vouchers to all C&A levels Diamond and up.  It should help with the lounge overcrowding in the long term.  It is also nice to be able to use them anytime during the day.

A agree with the changes to muster should be a great improvement.  Hopefully, the number of announcements can be minimized.  They will know how many have completed it.  Hopefully, they can reduce the number of stragglers over time.

I also agree with improved ventilation being a plus.      

• Like 2

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The new muster drill is certainly an improvement, but I challenge the OP claim they Royal was “one of the last cruise lines to require assembly at a designated location”. 

I accept the challenge. Prove that I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

What is worse is going on a snorkel excursion and using their snorkel gear.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, footzz said:

To each their own. I welcome the change. I've never seen/heard of anyone being thrown off of a ship for missing a muster drill. And, this is just a guess, but I'm guessing that RCCL world much rather have their paid crew inconveinenced than their paying passengers.

From the repeated PAs, I am guessing that RCCL would have much rather that the new muster actually worked and that they fulfill SOLAS requirements. As the end of the muster period was approaching, 40% of the passengers blew it off and didn’t bother reporting to their station. That was the metric the Captain kept emphasizing until the cruise director threatened to start kicking people off the ship. Just reporting facts. 

15 hours ago, footzz said:

The new system is a vast improvement, being much faster, way less hassle and a very simple process to follow. In addition, the entire ship doesn’t have to shut down while everyone does the drill. 

It makes much more sense to do be able to do the safety drill on a smart phone, tablet, or stateroom television and then go to the designated muster station to get the Sea Pass card scanned for verification.

Being packed in like sardines on an open deck for a safety drill regardless of the weather was truly awful. If one good thing came from the COVID19 outbreak, the new RCCL safety drill is it.

Almost 4 million people dying is a small price to pay for a better muster drill. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The new muster drill is certainly an improvement, but I challenge the OP claim they Royal was “one of the last cruise lines to require assembly at a designated location”. 

I'm wondering about that claim also. 

• Like 2

Im liking the self serve disappearing in the windjammer . I was never a fan of buffets because of the self serve aspect of it. I hope that becomes a standard at all buffets. Raise the price and pay a server

to serve at the stations. I would choose this option at a higher cost if presented with a choice .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I don’t have to prove anything. Prior to Covid, we all know, every ship embarking from a US port had Muster Drill at a predetermined assigned location. 

This is apparently an issue of semantics, so I shall parse my original statement. Royal Caribbean was one of the last cruise lines to require their passengers to assemble outside on the lifeboat deck at the actual muster station to conduct and complete the safety drill.