The Daily for Saturday July 24, 2021

richwmn

Good moring from central Texas where it will be hot, but with a breeze.

All the day are good to celebrate, although as on only child of only children, my cousins are/were older, ao we did not see each other often.  Cowboys (real working cobowys) are a big part of Texas culture.

Will also celebrate HAL's return to sailing today. 🛳️

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but pricey.

@smitty34877  Soryy Miss Camilla has to stay in the icu longer, but that is probably the best place for her now.  Also sorry, Tana is back int he hospital.  It is great you can be there for her son and the dog.

Today is going to be a busy day.  Thursday our older DD called to see if they could drop by tomorrow on their way home from the Dalls-Ft. Worth Metroplex.  DH suggested they could spent tonight here, but she wasn't sure if they could cancel thei hotel reservation.  Just at dinner time last night, she texted they had cancelled the hotel and will be here late this afternoon.

We were in Kristiansand in on September 15. 2009, on the Tahitian Princess.  Fortunately, our day was sunny and cool.  The town is supprisingly flat with low hills outside of town.  It is on the southeast part of Norway.  The town is an easy walking town.

To get from the port to town, we took the little tourist train.

IMG_6489.thumb.JPG.678fc0ce2598d8d62dad41730ec04737.JPG

There is a lot centered around the cathedral and the quare in front of it.

IMG_6497.thumb.JPG.f85155e91ed613ce15294c44640fac6a.JPG

IMG_6499.thumb.JPG.cd7df74b1128ee20fbe9919691c28802.JPG

IMG_6504.thumb.JPG.77dc38755950343610ac8e8b54b5faf1.JPG

IMG_6506.thumb.JPG.2aca6c7dde3ee9f964e57fa3d4535859.JPG

Some of the buidings and sights from our walk.

IMG_6495.thumb.JPG.de591e7512efba412f0add16acb72e62.JPG

IMG_6509.thumb.JPG.73e7bf3ab36559e5f99d0472dbeda3b4.JPG

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.d9c31d05cbcf717bba28a08681aa6ee3.JPG

For the Garden Club and others.  The building with the vines on the side is the cathedral

IMG_6511.thumb.JPG.c9af1f18e21d2afa136af906fef6426a.JPG

We walked through their market

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.475ddbb85a7d9a007c1d066e43764cc8.JPG

IMG_6513.thumb.JPG.0b77948ffdaeff94dae038497d563d2d.JPG

Town from the ship

IMG_6529.thumb.JPG.5e3509f691a1cb43bd3b673d57a27cd9.JPG

The coast as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_6532.thumb.JPG.fde431e617a23e635481a9bc69ad268d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 32

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Bon Voyage to the travelers leaving Seattle today.  So excited to read the reports.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your lists.  Debbie, today's meal looks so yummy.  Would love to know what really happened to Amelia Earhart.  Although my father was one of 10 DM and I left the state when I was young and I only met one Cousin in later years.  Like @dfishI had the whole Cowgirl outfit when I was young.  I so agree with Julie Andrews.  I think too many people quit after failing once.  Excited to see the photo's of Norway.

Hugs and virtual hugs to our care list.  Toasts to our celebrations.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Chi-Chi:

SERVES: 2
3 ounces vodka
4 ounces pineapple juice
2 ounces cream of coconut
1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar (or more)
1 cup crushed ice
2 slices pineapple, speared with
2 maraschino cherries, on toothpicks, for garnish
DIRECTIONS
Into a blender, combine the vodka, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, sugar, and ice. Blend on high speed until frothy and well combined, about 30 seconds.
Pour into 2 chilled Collins glasses, and garnish with the pineapple slices and umbrellas.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.36.44 AM.png

That drink sounds divine, but so full of sugar it would put me in a coma.  I guess I have to  pass.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

Is there a live webcam of Pier 91 in Seattle?

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

Here’s the link to the webcam - https://seattlewaterfrontwebcam.com/

When I have checked it, I don’t see a lot of movement like we do on the FLL webcam

There’s this one where you can see our BHB now (but I think the other will be better for the “sailaway”) 

http://www.elliottbaymarina.co/live/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon and Bon Voyage to all leaving Seattle today.

Great quote from Julie Andrews.

We stopped briefly at Kristiansand on a DFDS ferry in 2000 on the way to Gothenburg.

Nice food and drink selection.

Tui Explorer is in North Shields and due to leave at 6pm.

It is a cooler 65°F and a little breezy here but we are comfortable in our shelter and just eaten a picnic including prawn and salmon sandwiches cakes etc.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20210724_132630.jpg

IMG_20210724_132747.jpg

16271316909412866318879788605438.jpg

IMG_20210724_141129.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 32

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast day at the beach

I go from a very large Irish Catholic family in Boston, so I have many many cousins. It was wonderful growing up, never a shortage of playmates. They are mostly still all in the Boston area, only a few of us moved away. We are going up there in August. Looking forward to it.

I always admired Julie Andrews and the quote is so true.

Really happy to see HAL sailing again!  Wish I was going today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good moring from central Texas where it will be hot, but with a breeze.

All the day are good to celebrate, although as on only child of only children, my cousins are/were older, ao we did not see each other often.  Cowboys (real working cobowys) are a big part of Texas culture.

Will also celebrate HAL's return to sailing today. 🛳️

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but pricey.

@smitty34877  Soryy Miss Camilla has to stay in the icu longer, but that is probably the best place for her now.  Also sorry, Tana is back int he hospital.  It is great you can be there for her son and the dog.

Today is going to be a busy day.  Thursday our older DD called to see if they could drop by tomorrow on their way home from the Dalls-Ft. Worth Metroplex.  DH suggested they could spent tonight here, but she wasn't sure if they could cancel thei hotel reservation.  Just at dinner time last night, she texted they had cancelled the hotel and will be here late this afternoon.

We were in Kristiansand in on September 15. 2009, on the Tahitian Princess.  Fortunately, our day was sunny and cool.  The town is supprisingly flat with low hills outside of town.  It is on the southeast part of Norway.  The town is an easy walking town.

To get from the port to town, we took the little tourist train.

IMG_6489.thumb.JPG.678fc0ce2598d8d62dad41730ec04737.JPG

There is a lot centered around the cathedral and the quare in front of it.

IMG_6497.thumb.JPG.f85155e91ed613ce15294c44640fac6a.JPG

IMG_6499.thumb.JPG.cd7df74b1128ee20fbe9919691c28802.JPG

IMG_6504.thumb.JPG.77dc38755950343610ac8e8b54b5faf1.JPG

IMG_6506.thumb.JPG.2aca6c7dde3ee9f964e57fa3d4535859.JPG

Some of the buidings and sights from our walk.

IMG_6495.thumb.JPG.de591e7512efba412f0add16acb72e62.JPG

IMG_6509.thumb.JPG.73e7bf3ab36559e5f99d0472dbeda3b4.JPG

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.d9c31d05cbcf717bba28a08681aa6ee3.JPG

For the Garden Club and others.  The building with the vines on the side is the cathedral

IMG_6511.thumb.JPG.c9af1f18e21d2afa136af906fef6426a.JPG

We walked through their market

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.475ddbb85a7d9a007c1d066e43764cc8.JPG

IMG_6513.thumb.JPG.0b77948ffdaeff94dae038497d563d2d.JPG

Town from the ship

IMG_6529.thumb.JPG.5e3509f691a1cb43bd3b673d57a27cd9.JPG

The coast as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_6532.thumb.JPG.fde431e617a23e635481a9bc69ad268d.JPG

Lenda

Hey I like the views better with the sunshine!  Even the locals came out.  Thanks for your photos.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to  all. I  add  my  thanks  to  Debbie @dfish,for  the  recipe. I  just  need  some  mushrooms  and  that  will  be  dinner  tonight. I  salute  my  cousins  and  Amelia Earhart. I  will  salute  cowboys  as  well  but  I  am  afraid  the  only  one  I  ever  saw  in  person  is  the  "Naked  Cowboy" in  Times  Square. I  wonder  if  he  is  back  on  his  corner.

The  Julie  Andrew  quote is  a  good  one I  look  forward  to  pictures  of  the  port in  Norway.

@USN59-79, I  hope  you  had  a  wonderful  celebration  yesterday  of  your  good  news  from  the  oncologist. It  is  great  to  hear  good  news  from  those  particular  Docs.

@StLouisCruisers, the  birthday  party  and  phone  call  yesterday  sounded  so  festive! I  am  sure,  in  some  way  it  was  appreciated. Who  can  resist  chocolate  cake?

We  learned  last  night  that  our  Miss  Camilla  will  remain in  the  NICU  for  a  few  more  days.  The  lowered  heart  rate  is  again  a  factor  and  it  manifested  itself several  times  yesterday  afternoon. The  family  is  upset  of  course  but  relieved  she  is  where  she  can  be  managed  medically. My  DDIL is  trying  to  find  out  from  my  niece  what  the  Docs  have  said. She  is  a  physician  herself and  wonders  about  causative  factors. We  don't  want  to  add  to  their  stress  but  don't  understand  why  this  keeps  going  on.

More  locally, our Tana  is  back  in  the  hospital  with  another  episode  of  respiratory  difficulties. Her  son  slept  on  our  side  of  the  house  last  night because  their  dog  came  with  him. My  dog  loves  visitors  and  most  other  dogs  so  we  have  a  very  active  household  for  a  change.

Anyway, we  will wish  the  cruisers  in  Seattle  a  big  Bon  Voyage  and  hope  all  goes  well. It  is  very  exciting!

Terry

Sorry to hear the lovely Miss Camilla is being kept a little longer in ICU sending her our prayers 🙏.

Best wishes for Tana too and hopefully her respiratory difficulties can be sorted in hospital.

Graham 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Mr. Boston do you have an Aldi near you? If so check out their frozen seafood section. Mine has gorgeous white frozen scallops for $12.99! And they are amazing. I thaw them the night before I cook them. Then I put them between too kitchen towels to absorb all the extra moisture before I cook them.  I still can’t believe how delicious they are. 

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure that we do, I’ll have to check. It was a sort of last minute decision and we were forced into shopping at Whole Paycheck.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Good morning Rich. Thanks for the Daily. You will really be busy now that our BHB's are on the move. So exciting!!

Went out last night for fish. Had scallops and shrimp which were so good. Tonight 20+ people going to a surprise Birthday party at an Italian restaurant. We bought a bunch of Nothing Bundt cakes for afterwards. Should be fun.

It's scheduled to be a hot one today. All my chores are complete except vacuum our bedroom, but will be kind enough to wait til Allen's out of bed..

Have a great day. Prayers and Cheers. 

image.png.dd6c1bad1e2320e52e888a7bbe1ec705.png

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 17
  • Haha 2

Good morning!  Thank you, Rich, and all other contributors here at the Daily.  I know we are all celebrating today the sailaway of the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.  Red Letter Day!  

I have no cousins and don't know any cowboys, but the yummy chicken dinner will do quite well.  The chi-chi was a favorite back in college days. 

The history of aviation is really interesting.  Flying along with Amelia Earhart in the early days was Beryl Markham.  I can highly recommend her book, "West with the Night."  Fascinating times indeed.

Today is baking and prep day for a Christmas in July celebration tomorrow.  We did this last year during pandemic summer and enjoyed it so much that it's a tradition now.  Since heavy foods aren't welcome in the heat, we do a "Feast of the Seven Fishes," which works well for summer. DD has a gift for concocting signature cocktails, so we can look forward to something good in that department.

@smitty34877,  continued prayers for your Camilla and Tana and your family during this very stressful time.  You're going through so much right now!

Prayers, too, for all on the care list.  And smiling along with those on the celebration list.  We'll all smile a bit when the Nieuw Amsterdam heads off to beautiful Alaska!  

Have a great day, All!  😊  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What an exciting day - just knowing others are going to be boarding a BHB later today makes me happy!  Thank you to Emelia Earhart for her sense of adventure; wouldn't it be nice to know what really happened to her, though?  As someone adopted to older parents, I didn't grow up with cousins, as they were in their mid to late teens when I came on the scene.  It wasn't until I was welcomed into my birth family circle that I really knew what cousins were.  I'll be sure to call a couple of them to catch up today.  

DH's uncle was a true cowboy - the only one in the family who loved horses and raised cattle for a living.  His passion was breaking horses and he was known throughout the countryside as the go-to guy when you needed one.  He broke his last one at age 82, and decided that was enough, lest he break something other than the horse. 

It's a beautiful morning on the "frozen tundra" - we've got our blue skies back (not brown from the smoke), and there's a clear yellow orb shining down - not red.  The storm cells that came through cleared the skies, and although they didn't give us any rain, at least we have clean air to breathe once more.  

Although I really like today's menu suggestion (I'm tucking it away for a cooler time), I won't have to worry about making dinner today.  This afternoon we're heading to a nearby lake where I'm presiding over a vow renewal ceremony for a couple whose wedding I performed 10 years ago.  They've asked that DH and I stay for the barbecue after the ceremony, and all we are asked to bring is our lawn chairs.  Normally I wouldn't accept the invitation to stay, as we are usually outsiders, but the couple is good friends with our DS, so we will know a lot of the people there and it will be nice to  see them again.  There will be lots of games, lots of food and lots of fun.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list - which is getting close to the same number on the prayer list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We are getting a light rain this morning.  It is needed at this point, but hopefully will clear up.  A salute to Amelia Earhart and my cousins!   I liked to be a cowgirl when I was little.  I remember I had the whole Annie Oakley outfit:  hat, vest, fringed skirt, boots, holster and six shooters.  My mom would fix my hair in braided pigtails and I was set to go!  I also had a Queen for a Day outfit, but that is another day.

I am really looking forward to any information about today's port.  If next year's Norway cruise sails, we will visit Kristiansand.  The third time is the charm!

Today's meal looks good.  A few too many carbs for me, but if I tinker with it enough, I could come up with something similar.   https://damndelicious.net/2020/08/17/one-pot-chicken-and-mushroom-orzo/

1013550066_One-Pot-Chicken-and-Mushroom-OrzoIMG_1285(1).thumb.jpg.eced8e1b2be7ea8070a7e56758efcc73.jpg

This looks So Good!

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure that we do, I’ll have to check. It was a sort of last minute decision and we were forced into shopping at Whole Paycheck.

The savings on produce alone is phenomenal. BTW, I was off on the price. The scallops are $11.99, not $12.99 as I mentioned earlier. 😎

• Like 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sailaway Daily, Rich.  A great collection of days and a salute to all of them.  Kristiansand is another port I haven't visited.  I love the Julie Andrews quote.  The meal suggestion sounds nice although I would likely hold the mushrooms.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons, and Topfen Palatcchinken, my Mariner Brunch on my July, 2011 first voyage on MS Prinsendam.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(Hopefully almost ready to leave)
Cruising Along’s cousin with kidney transplant difficulties
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Nieuw Amsterdam
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dismomx5 on Grandma Duty
A dream job for HorizonChaser1957's DD
Great Oncologist report for USN59-79
Cruising-Along’s grandsons visiting
Second jab for Victoriann’s Gander DD and fully vaccinated for BC DD
StlouisCruiser talking to DMIL on birthday
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Pain relief for Summer Slope’s shingles
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Care and Shout Out List.

• Like 8

Rich:  Thanks for the DAILY fleet report.   My best to all those sailing to Alaska out of Seattle,  I hope you are blessed with calm seas and beautiful  weather as you head North to Alaska,  If any of you stop at the Alaskan Fudge Company tell them Father Mc Geean says hello.  Thank to all who contributed with posts and beautiful pictures.    It is a nice warm day here.  

• Like 9

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Hoorah for the first HAL post-pandemic cruise to Alaska! 

Good days. I like the quote also.

The meal sounds interesting and I like the drink and wine. 

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for pictures from those who have.

My eye feels irritated and a little painful this morning. I think it's either the stitches and contact lens (I've never worn any) or some overnight dryness. I'll try putting in lubricating drops at bedtime. I usually use a gel, but didn't want to put that in with the contact in. It will feel better as the day goes on and more drops go in, I think.

@USN59-79 Congrats on the good news from your doctor.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Miss Camilla and Tana.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

👍Rich @richwmn ...thank you for The Daily and Bon Voyage to all the excited passengers on the Nieuw Amsterdam! Roy @rafinmd again thanks for keeping both lists for the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

Our Princess 🚢 wasn't able to dock in today's port years ago.. seemed like we missed at least one port during a cruise. 

Three of my cousins met in High Springs, FL for a family wedding in Jan. 2020 ( before pandemic!).  

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie

6-large-1219d118d8a4a3a2281af44f8bfe5324.jpg

• Like 18

If you are doing an Alaska sideshow, video, or Real-3D** presentation, use this as your intro track. This is a total earwig of a song.

**This is not actually a thing, but when archeological explorers find this thread in the future, I'm totally going to be a sage.

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hey I like the views better with the sunshine!  Even the locals came out.  Thanks for your photos.

I agree about sunshine vs rain.  We had a day like yours only in Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands. Just light rain at first, then the torrents of rain and wind.  Our rain coats kept us dry except our legs

• Like 7